Omaha Double Murder #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://worldlicenseplates.com

Check out the bottom plate on the right at this link. It says it is still current and it is peach across the bottom. You will have to find PA on their menu and then check it out.

I erased the first link I had on here because it wasn't working for me.

I think we'll need to have others weigh in on this one... It's yellow to me.

This is very confusing. By all news accounts, OPD went to Calgary PREVIOUSLY to talk to MB, yet in this article they make it 'present tense,' like yesterday. As the second paragraph mentions '3 years ago,' IMO, it definitely looks as if OPD went to Canada AGAIN.

Whatever it is, it seems OPD MAY be taking a second look at MB.

JMHO
fran

http://www.ketv.com/news/26722599/detail.html

Lt. Ken Kanger, lead detective in the 2008 Dundee murders of an 11-year-old boy and the family housekeeper, said Wednesday his team went to Canada to interview a doctor who may be able to provide new information on the case.

Calgary police said they have opened their city to the Omaha detectives who have come to seek new information on a double murder that happened almost three years ago.

Isn't it weird that he left his post at the medical examiners office in Canada, and he was still contracted 'honorary' to teach for the local university? I mean, you would THINK he'd wait his departure until that contract had expired.

Notice how they say he got his medical license in Russia and it's still in good standing. Yet, the confirmation of his license is made by an outside party.

So say he'd been in Canada for two years, and all this time the confirming company had been attempting to go through red tape to verify his graduation from the Russian school,..................and then they finally got word he hadn't attended and, or graduated and that was why he left his last job? hypothetically, of course!;)

I do notice that the last employer won't give a 'reason' for MB's departure, which tells me, it was NOT the doctor's decison to depart. Otherwise they most likely would have given the usual, 'he had another opportunity or it was for 'personal' reasons.' Nope, deny explanation.

JMHO
fran
PS....I do have to be fair and mention that I do NOT feel MB fits the description of the mysterious stranger who went to the Hunter's door that afternoon. MB is fair complexion while the stranger was described as 'olive skin.' It is noted that OPD also went to Mexico to interview from 'tips,' ie possible former disgruntled students.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2011/02/01/calgary-forensic-pathologist-belenky-review.html

Belenky left the medical examiner's office last month. But Dear refused to say what led to his departure, calling it a private human resources issue.

University contract ended Tuesday

Belenky also had a contract to teach clinics for students at the University of Calgary, but it ended Tuesday, the university has said.

Belenky began teaching pathology to students in October 2008. The university said students watched him work at the medical examiner's office and that he didn't lecture on campus.

A university spokesperson said it was an honorary arrangement and he wasn't paid for the work.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta's website indicates Belenky graduated as a doctor of medicine in Russia in 1990. His licence is still in good standing.

Kelly Eby, spokeswoman for the college, said an outside agency does the checks on doctors who are trying to qualify for a licence in Alberta.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/st...pathologist-belenky-review.html#ixzz1CzCU5nic

dontknow - i have a few questions if you would be so kind to answer them.

is it common/normal to switch medical schools midway thru a program?
is it common/normal to switch residency programs midway thru?

If someone did switch schools, what would be typical reasons? would it be hard to get into a 2nd school, if you were already into one program? UNMC and Creighton are both in Omaha, so it's not like a need to relocate would be a valid reason for quitting one school and going to another.

Same two questions for the residency.

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated because I am really puzzled by all of the school and program jumping.

It is possible but not common to switch medical schools - it usually has to do with relocating (family etc). It is not too hard- most medical schools have students that drop out, so spaces become available. In this case: he appears to have completed medical school in Russia, and was already a resident, so changing medical school would not apply. Reasons for changing residency (ex between U of NE and Creighton) are different - see below.

It is possible (and more common than for medical school) to switch residencies. The most common reason is deciding you do not like the specialty you are in - it happens quite a bit, since medical school only gives you so much exposure to specialties - you may find that what you thought you would love is not it. Other reasons are having been cut from the program, personal-family issues.

I had followed this case in the beginning, but I hadn't commented because I couldn't add to the discussion. Frankly, I was stumped. I had some ideas, but nothing really, as there were no names to go along with the suspicions and honestly, no facts.

Going back through the first part of the thread #1 of this case, which was begun by out own Snick1946, I was reminded of a few things that could be relevant to some of what has popped up the past day or so.

1.The vehicle the suspicious person was driving that day, had an out of state license plate, but the witness couldn't read what state.

The person who's name is being brought up at this time, Dr. MB, at the time of the murders was living in Pittsburgh. So he MAY have been driving a car with Pa plates.

2. a.The person that's being discussed now, Dr. MB, worked for 2 1/3 years towards his residency and then moved on to another job, and or changed his mind as to his ultimate goal.

b. At the time of the murders, Dr. William Hunter directed the Pathology Residency Program at Creighton and had been MB's instructor or whatever it was called, and Dr. Claire Hunter was the associate program director for evaluation and credentialing in the Department of Medicine, in which I believe she would be the final say on if someone met qualifications to move on with their medical career.

c. It was stated in previous posts, RUMOR, that the Hunters had a Russian friend and MB is Russian.

IF MB was actually, in addition to be a student or up and coming doctor, why would he leave before he got his residency credentials? I mean if they were friends and he was a good doctor, he would have been almost assured a good reference from the Hunters.

3. And last but not least, at the time of the double murder, it was the nail-biting week when the up and coming doctors at Crieghton, were awaiting their responses to hospitals, where they were applying to further their career, after finishing their residency. Their acceptance was dependant on their individual evaluation and recommendation from the staff at Creighton, which included Dr. Claire Hunter's stamp of approval.

I don't recall which article it was from yesterday, so through the last few pages of this thread, I saw a statement by Dr. William Hunter about the person being discussed, Dr. MB, and his words about the qualifications or type of resident MB was sounded so,..................benign, at least to me. It was something like he was 'acceptable' (NOT exact word), and he was a solid resident, or something like that. "Acceptable" (not exact word)?

Then MB moves onto Canada and says he got his 'residency' from Nebraska?

I'm still not quite clear on just exactly when OPD went to Canada to question MB. But it was stated in one article it was recently and others it said some time ago. It was also said in the articles, that OPD went up to Canada on a 'tip.' The 'tip' must have been interesting for the OPD to finance detectives to fly all the way to Canada.

Something is not right. Or at the least, warrant LE to dig deeper.

JMHO
fran

Medicine and Pathology are different departments, and each makes their own decisions concerning residents and students. Neither Dr.would have any decision making power over students or residents taught by the other spouse. Also, Match Day (residency decisions) in March apply only to medical students. The individual in question was a resident - well beyond that step.

Just when you thought things weren't confusing enough on Dr Belenky, check this link out..

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...spur+Justice+investigation/4222097/story.html

What I refer to is the offhand comment that reporters reached him AT HIS HOME Thursday, so, he is apparently not in flight. This sort of conflicts with the news article posted yesterday that left the impression LE was looking for him.

I agree with Fran in her statementn that he does not seem to match the POI description in all accounts. I also wonder if two persons were involved that day..

This is a fascinating case and I remember when this happened. I used to live in Omaha and my daughter and son-in-law live there now. As I read through the posts, my theories kept changing. I'm so happy that they are looking for MB about this and it sure would be good to solve the crime. But, the poor dad...if MB killed the boy because of him...how terrible it would be...

Long interested in this case and just joined WS after article in World Herald
about MB. Looked him up on intelius. Wondered if he had a family, kids.
There's a {mod edit}"M" associated with him. Other addresses in California
prior to Nebraska and Pennsylvania.

If murders done by hit man, Dr. Hunter is SMART to say MB isn't suspected.
He could still be in touch with hit man....

brudsaunt said:
Long interested in this case and just joined WS after article in World Herald
about MB. Looked him up on intelius. Wondered if he had a family, kids.
There's a "M" {mod snip}associated with him. Other addresses in California
prior to Nebraska and Pennsylvania.

If murders done by hit man, Dr. Hunter is SMART to say MB isn't suspected.
He could still be in touch with hit man....

Welcome to the thread and hope to have you here often, same to all new posters!
I personally think Dr Hunter's relunctance to admit the possibility of MB's being involved stems fom some personality factor rather than any attempt at concealment. I do not know him, however I have crossed paths with him briefly in the past couple years and know a friend of his. It is difficult to imagine him involved on that level.
On another topic, someone posted this morning on the Forensic Astrology thread that there was a new article stating MB had been placed in Omaha at the time of the killings. Anyone know about that article? I can't find anything.

Welcome to the thread and hope to have you here often, same to all new posters!
I personally think Dr Hunter's relunctance to admit the possibility of MB's being involved stems fom some personality factor rather than any attempt at concealment. I do not know him, however I have crossed paths with him briefly in the past couple years and know a friend of his. It is difficult to imagine him involved on that level.
On another topic, someone posted this morning on the Forensic Astrology thread that there was a new article stating MB had been placed in Omaha at the time of the killings. Anyone know about that article? I can't find anything.

Snick, I recall reading one article which stated that OPD was interviewing persons who were in Omaha on the day of the murders. It was vague and one had to read between the lines as it never specifically stated MB was there.

I'll try and find a link.

wm

Hopefully we may be approaching an end to the search for the killer.
I've mentioned before about my love of the Sherlock Holmes stories. I wanted to pass on a quote from one of them, Holmes to Watson:

"When a doctor does go wrong," Sherlock Holmes explained to Watson, "he is the first of criminals. He has nerve and he has knowledge."

This is quoted from the article in the Calgary Newspaper today:

"Belenky received his medical degree from a university in St. Petersburg, Russia. The Herald has viewed notarized copies of the Russian diploma, verifying he graduated from the Leningrad Institute of Sanitation and Hygiene in 1990.

Belenky and his family came to Canada a short time later, but a number of years lapsed before he resumed his medical education and became licensed to practice in Canada.

Between 2005 and 2007, Belenky enrolled at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, where he finished a residency in anatomical and clinical pathology."

It says Belenky came to Canada shortly after graduating from medical school in Russia. What was he doing from then until he enrolled at Creighton University?

Hunter's probably think about this every day--us less often. Both they and the PD
probably know more than we do. If DNA evidence existed, samples would have been collected from MB in 2008 and he'd be in jail. It all fits--a pathologist who uses a scalpel
every day would know how not to cut himself when using a knife. Did he get so wrapped up in his anger that he wasn't totally rational? Why didn't he wear a disguise? You have to admit, the picture of the drawing of the olve skinned man looks a lot like MB. I don't mean to rush to judgement...I just want closure for both families and a feeling of safety for the residents of Dundee. Is he trying to help murders get away with it in Canada? Or is he just incompetent? To be able to get away with this crime,
the murderer had to think about his moves. Forensic pathologists spend their careers
thinking like criminals. It just seems to fit. "When a doctor goes bad"...Whoever did
this has a sick mind and a black heart and it's difficult to conceive of this person
functioning well in society.

On another vein, do you think Websleuths has ever looked into how many criminals log
on to their site? It seems it would be easy to check if, after the criminal is caught, to
check his or her computer's IP against the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500