Omaha double murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone find it a coincidence that a pathologist (with specialty in forensics and cardiovascular pathology-i.e. crime scene investigations, performing autopsies, meticulous attention to detail, etc. ) finds his son and housekeeper murdered in his own home, with apparently little evidence left behind, stumping even the best forensic scientists and investigators? I also find it a tragic coincidence that both parents have specialty in cardiology and/or cardiovascular pathology, and the lethal wounds were clear, direct insults of the carotid arteries, at least that is the main artery in the neck, and reportedly it is the neck where these unfortunate souls were stabbed.

Just food for thought. I really hope this gets solved sometime soon. Such a horrible tragedy. God bless the Hunters and Shermans.

Does anyone find it a coincidence that a pathologist (with specialty in forensics and cardiovascular pathology-i.e. crime scene investigations, performing autopsies, meticulous attention to detail, etc. ) finds his son and housekeeper murdered in his own home, with apparently little evidence left behind, stumping even the best forensic scientists and investigators? I also find it a tragic coincidence that both parents have specialty in cardiology and/or cardiovascular pathology, and the lethal wounds were clear, direct insults of the carotid arteries, at least that is the main artery in the neck, and reportedly it is the neck where these unfortunate souls were stabbed.

Just food for thought. I really hope this gets solved sometime soon. Such a horrible tragedy. God bless the Hunters and Shermans.

Thanks Po Boy- somebody finally said it and it has needed to be said long ago. This is the direction many of us are drifting in our private discussions of this case. I have nothing but sympathy for the Hunter family (as I do for Shirlee's) but as time goes by and this thing remains unsolved it may be time to think the unthinkable. You can bet OPD has not let that go by unnoticed.

Thank you everyone for the Welcome, I must apologize for being so ambitious in my first post, I get ahead of myself sometimes. I guess i just wanted to jump in head first, sorry if I angered or startled anyone (Tapu) . I am connected to one of the families as Yellow Dog suspected, and am dismayed at the length of time that has expired, and how quiet the police have been, meaning one of two things 1. they have a really good suspect and are closing in or 2. they have nothing concrete and are scrambling.. I hope it is the first one but i have my doubts, Waltzing Matilda had a good point when she said that we have to gain trust with one another, I want to gain your trust and work with you side by side.

Near- welcome. I share some of the dismay you must have felt at reading some of the posts, especially some of the older ones. Please bear in mind that I am not a moderater, just the guy who started this thread. I cannot delete something I find offensive. Someone once said that to solve a crime a lot of rocks have to be looked under so what we are doing is airing different theories. Perhaps sometimes we forget the effect reading these may have on someone close to the victims.
I too think one of the two things is true. After all this time it may be that they have kbnown for some time who did this but have to wrap it up carefully.
My sympathy to you for your loss. I have to say I have a vague idea who you may be, but that is your business and no one here will try to pressure you into discussing that. God Bless.

Near, we are glad you're hear and hope you will join in with your opinions. I, too, am sorry for your loss.

In looking at the site mentioned a few posts back, even in those 2 pics of the mother and the housekeeper they still look a lot alike. I think it was a revenge killing with the mother as the target. I think the killer thought he was killing the mother in the home and the boy was secoundary just because he was there. I do not think the father, mother or anyone in the family had anything to do with the murders. It is not rocket science to know that cutting the carotids of a victim will kill them. I think the murderer is connected to the college somehow.

Just popping in to see if there is anything new on this case. It is disheartening to see that nothing has changed. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that this one can be solved. My sympathies go out to all the families that are going to be spending this holiday season without their loved ones--including Shirlee and Tom's families. Welcome to WS, Near!

Near, no need to apologize. I am sure that there are things you'd like to share off the forum just like the rest of us. As you can see, there is a core group of sleuths who refuse to give up on solving this case and helping to grant justice for Tom, Shirlee and their families. The posters here are always curious when a new poster comes on board. We are happy you joined us.

PoBoy, Thank you for stating the obvious. I have to wonder if LE perhaps granted professional courtesy to the Drs. Hunter because of status and didn't consider the murders could be a connected to either of them in some way.

Ryuzaki, We have discussed the mysterious Russian man affiliated with the Hunter's pages ago. And we also discussed Russian mafia or Russian gangs being involved in the murders. The new breed of Russian mafia commits crimes thru cyberspace. (Remember the perp was carrying a laptop bag) Here's a link to a story on Foxnews today......

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12/22/fbi-probes-hacks-citibank-govt-agency/

I wish you all a happy and peaceful holiday season!

Best regards,

waltzingmatilda

WM,

thank you so much for this link, it is proving to be very helpful, I do believe I am getting somewhere in my research, once i get all of my ducks in a row i will give you guys full reports on my findings.

Colette, your theory is very probable, I in fact have a strong feeling that you are right.

I wish everyone a happy holiday season,
I hope the coming new year brings good things.

Don't get me wrong, I do not think for one minute Mr. or Mrs. Hunter had anything to do with these murders. I do, however, think these murders were direct retaliation for something they did and was done to prove a point. Kind of like, "hey, see, try and solve this" kind of a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I do not think for one minute Mr. or Mrs. Hunter had anything to do with these murders. I do, however, think these murders were direct retaliation for something they did and was done to prove a point. Kind of like, "hey, see, try and solve this" kind of a thing.

Nor do I- my meaning was as yours; that someone close to them whom they trusted or even may have had in their home and also perhaps knew in a professional capacity may have betrayed their trust for some unknown reason. It seems clear that the perp had medical knowledge.

Nor do I- my meaning was as yours; that someone close to them whom they trusted or even may have had in their home and also perhaps knew in a professional capacity may have betrayed their trust for some unknown reason. It seems clear that the perp had medical knowledge.

Ditto Snick. But I think in the beginning the authorities were focused more on the perp being somehow connected to Shirlee even tho the murders occured inside the Hunter home. It is common for LE to look toward family connections first and build out from there.

Here is why I DO NOT think the killer was after Mrs. Dr. Hunter............WHAT CARDIOLOGIST IS HOME AT 3PM-5PM ON A THURSDAY??? THE ANSWER................NONE!!!! No cardiologist (one of the busiest medical specialties) is ever home at 3pm -5pm....guaranteed. Therefore, why would a killer plan on her being home. It doesn't make sense.

I was under the impression that the mother had more of an educator position. She must not be tied to a practice that much as she was out of town at the time of the murders. As far as cardiologists, they can work as much or as little as they want. I know 2 personally that have cut their hours and work very part time.

I still am inclined to think the boy was the intended target and the killer did not know Shirlee was there until she walked in on the scene.

I keep thinking of dialogue in 'The Silence of the Lambs that goes something like this.

Lector: Why do we kill, Clarisse?

Agent Starling: Because we covet.

Lector: And what doe we covet, Clarisse?

Agent Starling: That which we see every day.

Now I don't think that Tom was the coveted but I do think Tom may have been in possession of something that was coveted......something that the killer saw or used or needed or wanted every day. The news reports say nothing was stolen from the home but could Tom have had possession of something that the Drs. Hunter were unaware of? Something that was important enough for the dark man with the laptop bag to travel to the home and commit murder? something even the parents, both busy doctors, weren't aware of? As a mom, I felt like my kids developed a whole secret life when they entered middle school. They met new people outside their long time friends, and there was the darn peer pressure, not to mention puberty! They were lucky but they did some stupid shizz. I found the best way to learn what's going on with the kids is to drive them and their friends anywhere. for some reason, they think the driver is deaf, and reveal all kinds of stuff! LOL!

I dunno, but thinking about going back to square one to reevaluate the facts we have so far.

All MOO.

Peace to you all!

wm

I think she is one of the "busy" cardiologists though. She is very active in practice and administration, actually. She would rarely be home at 3-5 pm on a weekday, if ever, unless she was on vacation. But when on vacation, it sounds as though she's off traveling (like to Hawaii), and thus not at home.

Thanks poboy. It seems that Mrs. Hunter is a busy doctor from her Creighton Bio. I was going to link it for all of you but it seems that the bio has been removed from the Creighton site. ??

NEAR, I hope we didn't scare you off. We are really a nice group who are very dedicated to this case. I hope you come back.

wm

Here I go, bumping up again.

With faith this will be solved, in 2010!

Giving the thread a much needed bump.

Near, I hope you will be back and post again. I understand how difficult this is for you but you have friends here and want you to check in now and then.

Ryuzuki, hope to hear some of the results of your research.

I have been thinking about what aspect of this thing may have been not gone into as much as perhaps it ought to.
I am wondering how much LE checked out staff at Creighton med center in this case. I think they looked at some disgruntled med students, but I wonder about support staff, such as lab workers, etc who may have been in contact with Dr Hunter on a day to day basis and in their own mind formed some motive for this crime.
Do not want to offend anyone- all movements have their lunatic fringe. I do wonder if this perp could have been some unbalanced young person from the lunatic fringe of the pro-life movement? If perhaps something hidden was going on at Creighton such as stem cell research and such a person learned of it could that have formed a motive?
Many of us remember the murder of the med student at Yale earlier last year. Sometimes the perp can be someone off everyone's radar screen.
Also bear in mind that Dr Hunter has published some papers some of which are available on line. Something could have been mis-interpreted by someone with mental issues that could have led to this person trying to harm his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500