Operation Nativity

Dark Knight said:
Death to the ACLU!!!!!!!!!! :razz: :razz: :razz:
So much for peace on earth!

Merry Christmas to you too lol

Dark Knight said:
Surely, "Death to the ACLU" doesn't mean death to your card carrying friends and these fine folks who founded the organization which defends the Constitution and Bill of Rights. lol

"Among the founders of the ACLU, or as it was originally called, the Civil Liberties Bureau, were Crystal Eastman and Roger Baldwin. Eastman (1881-1928) studied law at New York University after getting her undergraduate degree at Vassar. This twice married mother of two was instrumental in passing workers compensation laws and did extensive research into industrial accidents. She was a women’s suffrage activist who managed the Wisconsin Women’s Suffrage campaign in 1912, and organized a New York Feminist Congress demanding equality for women in 1919.. (The women’s suffrage amendment giving women the right to vote wasn’t ratified until 1921, a year after the formation of the Civil Liberties Bureau.) Eastman helped found the Congressional Union, lead the New York Branch of the Women’s Peace Party opposing World War I,and edited the Liberator, an anti-war journal. In 1928, the journal, The Nation printed these words of her, “She was for thousands a symbol of what the free woman might be."

Roger Baldwin (1884-1991) attended Harvard obtaining his bachelor’s degree in 1904 and his master’s in 1905. He taught sociology, worked as a probation officer and served as the secretary of the Civic League of St. Louis before heading the pacifist organization, American Union Against Militarism, a predecessor of the Civil Liberties Bureau and the ACLU. This organization defended conscientious objectors and draft resisters during World War I. In 1918 he served nine months of prison time for himself resisting the draft. After release he joined the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW). Ultimately he co-founded the Civil Liberties Bureau, serving first as its director then later as its national chairman."

http://arar.essortment.com/acluamericanci_rmal.htm

dakini said:
Surely, "Death to the ACLU" doesn't mean death to your card carrying friends and these fine folks who founded the organization which defends the Constitution and Bill of Rights. lol

"Among the founders of the ACLU, or as it was originally called, the Civil Liberties Bureau, were Crystal Eastman and Roger Baldwin. Eastman (1881-1928) studied law at New York University after getting her undergraduate degree at Vassar. This twice married mother of two was instrumental in passing workers compensation laws and did extensive research into industrial accidents. She was a women’s suffrage activist who managed the Wisconsin Women’s Suffrage campaign in 1912, and organized a New York Feminist Congress demanding equality for women in 1919.. (The women’s suffrage amendment giving women the right to vote wasn’t ratified until 1921, a year after the formation of the Civil Liberties Bureau.) Eastman helped found the Congressional Union, lead the New York Branch of the Women’s Peace Party opposing World War I,and edited the Liberator, an anti-war journal. In 1928, the journal, The Nation printed these words of her, “She was for thousands a symbol of what the free woman might be."

Roger Baldwin (1884-1991) attended Harvard obtaining his bachelor’s degree in 1904 and his master’s in 1905. He taught sociology, worked as a probation officer and served as the secretary of the Civic League of St. Louis before heading the pacifist organization, American Union Against Militarism, a predecessor of the Civil Liberties Bureau and the ACLU. This organization defended conscientious objectors and draft resisters during World War I. In 1918 he served nine months of prison time for himself resisting the draft. After release he joined the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW). Ultimately he co-founded the Civil Liberties Bureau, serving first as its director then later as its national chairman."

http://arar.essortment.com/acluamericanci_rmal.htm
Death to what they have become, not what they intended to be. And my card carrying friends get a Christmas reprieve. :crazy:

Maral said:
As a Christian, I've never been offended by a sincere greeting of “Happy Holidays”. To me, the greeting is conveying joy, peace, and good will towards all. In that greeting, the holiday that I celebrate, Christmas, is included.

I agree that it seems to have become politically correct for retailers to NOT use the word Christmas, but no department store is preventing anyone from putting Christ back into his or her own personal celebration of Christmas.

That's the way I feel about it.

Extremist attitudes with underlying "agendas" are going to be the REAL "Grinch Who Stole Christmas".

Becba said:
F that. Too many religious organisations think they are going to lead the way to their religion.

It is worse than McDonalds advertising happy meals when it comes to attracting youths.
If you call it Christmas then call it that. If it is a holiday that is okay.
A combined effort of Nativity is in such bad taste, disrespect and almost threatening to others. If you feel it do it, if not don't, If you just like the bright lights let us display them.
I agree with alot of this, but really don't find a combined effort of displaying a nativity threatening at all. I really like the holiday decorations- all of them.
But your premise of live and let live?? Yes. Why is that such a difficult concept for some people?? :waitasec:

And, BTW- I also use the statement "F that." I find it to be highly useful at times!! :D No judgement or snide remarks here...

This department store issue-- is it a PC problem, or is it simplicity??

An example used earlier was a greeter for the Gap. Now, seriously, do you think that was because of PCness, OR was is just simpler for the greeter to say Happy Holidays? A greeter has a matter of seconds to spit out their greeting. If I owned the Gap, I'd have them say "Happy Holidays" instead of trying to speed through "MerryChristmas HappyHannakuh HappyKwanza" PHEW!
Why wouldn't, and why shouldn't a retailer embrace ALL of their customers?

Dark Knight said:
Death to what they have become, not what they intended to be. And my card carrying friends get a Christmas reprieve. :crazy:
Thanks for the reprieve from the death sentence for the Christmas holidays. lol

The ACLU continues to fight valiantly to defend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. It does have powerful enemies and a PR problem with Fox News, Ann Coulter and Rush.

The following is one of their current cases....anyone have a problem with this one?

Newark, NJ -- The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey announced that it filed a motion yesterday to participate as amicus curiae (friend-of-the-court) in a case seeking to uphold the right of an elementary school student to sing a religious song in a voluntary, after-school talent show.

"There is a distinction between speech by a school and speech by individual students," stated ACLU-NJ cooperating attorney Jennifer Klear of Drinker, Biddle & Reath in New York City. "The Constitution protects a student's individual right to express herself, including the right to express herself religiously."

http://www.aclu-nj.org/pressroom/aclunjjoinslawsuittosuppor.htm

IrishMist said:
This department store issue-- is it a PC problem, or is it simplicity??

An example used earlier was a greeter for the Gap. Now, seriously, do you think that was because of PCness, OR was is just simpler for the greeter to say Happy Holidays? A greeter has a matter of seconds to spit out their greeting. If I owned the Gap, I'd have them say "Happy Holidays" instead of trying to speed through "MerryChristmas HappyHannakuh HappyKwanza" PHEW!
Why wouldn't, and why shouldn't a retailer embrace ALL of their customers?
I, myself, was talking about department stores selling what are clearly specific Christmas items, yet always calling them "holiday" items. I mean, come on, a holiday tree? I don't think they use those for Hannukah or Kwanzaa, lol.

Dark Knight said:
I, myself, was talking about department stores selling what are clearly specific Christmas items, yet always calling them "holiday" items. I mean, come on, a holiday tree? I don't think they use those for Hannukah or Kwanzaa, lol.
It's a holiday tree to me. I celebrate Christmastime, but as a secular holiday, not as a religious one. To me, the name doesn't matter. It's just a store, they're just selling it. It could be two popsicle sticks that you buy, and turn into a cross, or a holiday tree that gets your angel put on top to become your Christmas tree. Whatever.

The stores are just trying to maximize profit - they don't care what the holiday is, nor what it means to anyone, they care how much money they can make from it. If they call it Christmas, they're only doing so because that gains them more money - not the kind of endorsement I'd consider worth anything.

dakini said:
Thanks for the reprieve from the death sentence for the Christmas holidays. lol

The ACLU continues to fight valiantly to defend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. It does have powerful enemies and a PR problem with Fox News, Ann Coulter and Rush.

The following is one of their current cases....anyone have a problem with this one?

Newark, NJ -- The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey announced that it filed a motion yesterday to participate as amicus curiae (friend-of-the-court) in a case seeking to uphold the right of an elementary school student to sing a religious song in a voluntary, after-school talent show.

"There is a distinction between speech by a school and speech by individual students," stated ACLU-NJ cooperating attorney Jennifer Klear of Drinker, Biddle & Reath in New York City. "The Constitution protects a student's individual right to express herself, including the right to express herself religiously."

http://www.aclu-nj.org/pressroom/aclunjjoinslawsuittosuppor.htm
They're really something - they really do try to defend everyone's freedoms - whether it's defending Rush Limbaugh's right to privacy in his pain killer drug addiction court battle, or a religous song sung by a student, or one of the cases the right wing radio stations like to hold up as an example of ACLU evil. I think they're sincerely doing what the name implies - trying to uphold everyone's civil liberties - whether that is a person you love or hate.

Details said:
It's a holiday tree to me. I celebrate Christmastime, but as a secular holiday, not as a religious one. To me, the name doesn't matter. It's just a store, they're just selling it. It could be two popsicle sticks that you buy, and turn into a cross, or a holiday tree that gets your angel put on top to become your Christmas tree. Whatever.

The stores are just trying to maximize profit - they don't care what the holiday is, nor what it means to anyone, they care how much money they can make from it. If they call it Christmas, they're only doing so because that gains them more money - not the kind of endorsement I'd consider worth anything.

It's a pine tree, and a fake one at that. It doesn't become a "holiday" tree or a "Christmas" tree until someone buys it, takes it home, and decorates it. I believe the stores are correct in not promoting any particular holiday. My family is not religious but we do celebrate Christmas. If we were Jewish, I'd hate going into stores this time of year and having to explain to my children why the Christian holidays seem so much more important than ours. I think it's great that in America we have the freedom to walk into a store and buy whatever religious items we desire - that's the important thing. In my opinion, those who want their religion singled out are trying to destroy that freedom.

Mabel said:
It's a pine tree, and a fake one at that. It doesn't become a "holiday" tree or a "Christmas" tree until someone buys it, takes it home, and decorates it. I believe the stores are correct in not promoting any particular holiday. My family is not religious but we do celebrate Christmas. If we were Jewish, I'd hate going into stores this time of year and having to explain to my children why the Christian holidays seem so much more important than ours. I think it's great that in America we have the freedom to walk into a store and buy whatever religious items we desire - that's the important thing. In my opinion, those who want their religion singled out are trying to destroy that freedom.
We had been doing just fine doing it the old way for the past hundred years or more. Now some Christophobes are trying to pretend it's harmful all of a sudden, even thought everyone had been fine all those many, many years before, apparently.

K, while dinner is in the oven, I thought I'd check out a few websites for stores. Both WalMart and Target sell "Christmas trees." Target has a whole section for the holidays called 3 ways to shop: by color, by price or by style. Under style it has "Classic Christmas."

So then I thought maybe ya'll meant nationwide department stores-

Macy's: In it's holiday area, it has one spot for their 14 Hanukkah items.
All the rest is devoted to "Christmas." Christmas trees, Christmas dinnerware... etc.

Dillard's: Nothing whatsoever on their homepage about any holidays. But if you go to the catalog section, they offer a "Christmas Catalog!"

Marshall Field's: In their Holiday section they sell nativities, crosses- and they have a WHOLE SECTION OF IRISH STUFF which they get EXTRA ADDED BONUS POINTS for!!!

I started getting bored, so I went to check the Gap site. Nothing about any holiday. They just want you to "get a head start on your holiday shopping with (their) bestsellers."

So I'm not sure where you guys are shopping... I really didn't see any store trying to hide the word "Christmas" at all.

IrishMist said:
So I'm not sure where you guys are shopping... I really didn't see any store trying to hide the word "Christmas" at all.
That's the trend that really disturbs me the most - Christians, who have just about everything in this country their way trying to say that they are a threatened minority, that they're being blocked out and they need to fight back. Ridiculous! A few little tiny minor areas where people get a tiny bit of a step towards a very distant equality, and some people are up in arms pretending like that is one more in a long line of huge christian persecution, and trying to add even more of the Christian religion into our government! And far too much of it is either outright lies or huge, huge exaggerations - holiday trees - I've never seen one before either. I wouldn't mind seeing one, but we aren't even close to getting there. Not that I can see how it would matter what name a retail shop uses to separate you from your money.

I hear this kind of nonsense when I go to my MIL's church too - a lot of it is pure lies - things you can easily verify (as you just did) as lies that everyone just accepts as the truth without ever opening their eyes. I think they figure when their local store has "Merry Christmas" up that they were the ones who did it, rather than just that the sign was always there.

IrishMist said:
K, while dinner is in the oven, I thought I'd check out a few websites for stores. Both WalMart and Target sell "Christmas trees." Target has a whole section for the holidays called 3 ways to shop: by color, by price or by style. Under style it has "Classic Christmas."

So then I thought maybe ya'll meant nationwide department stores-

Macy's: In it's holiday area, it has one spot for their 14 Hanukkah items.
All the rest is devoted to "Christmas." Christmas trees, Christmas dinnerware... etc.

Dillard's: Nothing whatsoever on their homepage about any holidays. But if you go to the catalog section, they offer a "Christmas Catalog!"

Marshall Field's: In their Holiday section they sell nativities, crosses- and they have a WHOLE SECTION OF IRISH STUFF which they get EXTRA ADDED BONUS POINTS for!!!

I started getting bored, so I went to check the Gap site. Nothing about any holiday. They just want you to "get a head start on your holiday shopping with (their) bestsellers."

Even if they have Christmas trees, other clearly Christmas items, and the names of their sales in general, use the generic phrase "holiday." Wal-Greens and Meijers are guilty, based on local fliers, anyways.

Dark Knight said:
Even if they have Christmas trees, other clearly Christmas items, and the names of their sales in general, use the generic phrase "holiday." Wal-Greens and Meijers are guilty, based on local fliers, anyways.
They aren't allowed to have a holiday sale? They have to tell all those celebrating Hannuka and Kwanza and whatever that this sale is exclusively on Christmas ornaments? That the blue lights jewish families use will not be on sale? Why so exclusionary? And more to the point why do you think the store should exclude all these people? It's the holiday season - there is more than one holiday going on.

But still - I want to know where the holiday trees are. You said you had seen this happening in department stores. Is it true or not.

dakini said:
New one on me. Very surprised anyone believe's someone would hate the divine embodment of Love and Compassion.
It's about as real as the strawman feminists who all think heterosexual sex is always rape. Another myth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back