GUILTY OR - David, 61, & Marilyn Jondle, 58, murdered, Dallas, 31 Aug 2010

Thank you i.b.nora, I'd totally missed that. I only saw the first page and had missed the rest. I wonder how long Cindy's children have been in foster care. I keep going back to this statement:

http://desperatelyseekingsalem.com/2009/09/11/chicken-run/

"...A team of a neighbor son, a neighbor mother, Mrs. Jondle, and the Jondle’s 9-year-old daughter then finish off the bird by pulling out the liver and heart for people who like these things, the lungs, and the intestines, hoping all the while that they won’t accidentally squeeze the gal bladeer and send green goo across the room."

This was written on Sept. 11, 2009. Could it be possible that the nine year old girl was the neighbor's foster child, Cindy's daughter?

Has anyone gotten the impression that there's anything more to the statement that the child was afraid of Mr. Jondle (presumably Cindy means Scott, Drew's dad)? She seems to only bring that issue up in passing and certainly doesn't focus on it. Instead, she focuses on the money.

I also have to wonder if there was discord due to the fact that the children were placed with neighbors in a very nice area of Dallas and probably getting far better care than when in Cindy's care due to a higher standard of living. There can be great resentment build up between foster and birth families as many birth families feel that their children are being "spoiled" or will never want to go back to their old lives. This rarely happens as almost all kids DO want to go back, even when there's been documented neglect and abuse.

Two things jump out at me when reading the complete probable cause. First, there's the issue of Drew riding a "motorized scooter" to his parents' home. I'm not sure what LE means by that. It could be a scooter like a Vespa which can travel on city streets and highways up to a speed of 65 mph and require a motorcycle license. Or it can mean a motorized smaller scooter, more like a toy, which is usually used more like a skateboard. It would be very odd for a man to ride 20 miles on such a scooter.

Secondly, there's the issue of the almost nonexistent attempt at a cover-up. Did Cindy and Drew truly not realize that they would be the first stop for LE? The water delivery man immediately thought of Drew, rather than an intruder. Cindy disposed of the bloody clothing only across the street in a dumpster and Drew showers off and goes to bed. Credit cards are strewn about.

Some planning certainly went into the murder but I see none into the cover-up. Were they just stunned by the enormity of the murders or unaware of the enormity? I'd really like to know more about Cindy and why her children were removed in the first place.

Here is one of the versions, it is straight from the Jondle Homicide: Probable Cause Statement

"I later spoke with Cindy Beck and she confirmed that she conspired with Andrew Jondle to murder his parents, David and Marilyn Jondle. Ms Beck told me that they talked about the idea on 8-29-10 and 8-30-10. Ms Beck told me that she thought she was protecting her children from David and Marilyn Jondle. Ms Beck went on to tell me that she did not have any proof that the Jondle's (sic) were harming her children that were in a foster care at a nearby residence but that her daughter was nervous because Mr Jondle waved at her daughter while she was walking down the road. Ms Beck told me that she and Andrew came up with the plan to murder his parents and steal money from them to pay rent. Ms Beck said that they were also hoping that they would inherit the farm after the murder."

Access the statement via this article:

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/art...to-seek-death-penalty-in-Polk-County-slayings

Ms Beck told me that she thought she was protecting her children from David and Marilyn Jondle. Ms Beck went on to tell me that she did not have any proof that the Jondle's (sic) were harming her children that were in a foster care at a nearby residence but that her daughter was nervous because Mr Jondle waved at her daughter while she was walking down the road.

Good grief, this woman really sounds totally weird.

Mr. Jondle waved?:banghead: My goodness I walk down my street with my grands a lot of the time and as we pass by people they wave and we wave back. Some we know and some we don't.

IMO

Does anyone know why Cindy was on probation in Marion County (Salem)?

Marion County Community Corrections
Name: Cindy Lou Beck
Offender ID: 8588463
Date of Birth: 10/08/1963
Custody Status: Community Supervision
Scheduled Release Date: 09/29/2010
Reason: Community Supervision - Arrested
Date: 05/01/2009
Race: White

Thank you i.b.nora, I'd totally missed that. I only saw the first page and had missed the rest. I wonder how long Cindy's children have been in foster care. I keep going back to this statement:

http://desperatelyseekingsalem.com/2009/09/11/chicken-run/

"...A team of a neighbor son, a neighbor mother, Mrs. Jondle, and the Jondle’s 9-year-old daughter then finish off the bird..."

This was written on Sept. 11, 2009. Could it be possible that the nine year old girl was the neighbor's foster child, Cindy's daughter?

Has anyone gotten the impression that there's anything more to the statement that the child was afraid of Mr. Jondle (presumably Cindy means Scott, Drew's dad)? She seems to only bring that issue up in passing and certainly doesn't focus on it. Instead, she focuses on the money.

snip

Two things jump out at me when reading the complete probable cause. First, there's the issue of Drew riding a "motorized scooter" to his parents' home. I'm not sure what LE means by that. It could be a scooter like a Vespa which can travel on city streets and highways up to a speed of 65 mph and require a motorcycle license. Or it can mean a motorized smaller scooter, more like a toy, which is usually used more like a skateboard. It would be very odd for a man to ride 20 miles on such a scooter.

Secondly, there's the issue of the almost nonexistent attempt at a cover-up. Did Cindy and Drew truly not realize that they would be the first stop for LE? The water delivery man immediately thought of Drew, rather than an intruder. Cindy disposed of the bloody clothing only across the street in a dumpster and Drew showers off and goes to bed. Credit cards are strewn about.

Some planning certainly went into the murder but I see none into the cover-up. Were they just stunned by the enormity of the murders or unaware of the enormity? I'd really like to know more about Cindy and why her children were removed in the first place.
I kind of butchered (tee hee) your post, but you pose some interesting 'food for thought' as well as questions that I don't think any of us can anwer.

I guess that girl that is incorrectly identified as a Jondle daughter might be a foster child of the neighbor, and Cindy's daughter. However the way the report is written, it sounds to me like the girl would just be walking down the road near the farm. But, Beck obviously has some issues around children. One of the articles said: "But neighbors at the apartment complex where Jondle and Beck lived had a different impression.

Some said the couple picked fights and that Beck harassed children living in the building. Recently, Beck and Jondle were caught staring into a neighbor's window, said Christy Lee, who lives in the building.

Once, Lee said, "Andrew threatened my husband with mace."

She said police were called to the building many times over arguments the couple instigated. Lee said Beck's state of mind worsened after she lost custody of her children.

"You could see her start to lose touch with reality," Lee said."

So, its unclear to me when Beck lost her children. Since Lee seems to be talking about just the period of time that the two lived in the apartment
building.

As for the scooter, I googled 'motorized scooters' and there are several types from the very simple, where the rider stands on a platform, to other more motor bike like. But, I did see in one of the articles where Andrew supposedly took with him on the trip to the farm, an extra canister containing fuel for his scooter, so I kinda think it might be one of those platform type scooters. Those couldn't carry alot of gas, I wouldn't think. At least he thought enough to know to take extra gas. Actually, now that I think about it, I am surprised he didn't take the family car, or truck after the murders, for the trip home.

There really isn't anything about this, when you look at it in terms of the crime itself, that makes much sense.

One thing I noticed, as I saw an ad for a group called Work Unlimited ( www.workunlimited.org ) that was sponsoring the Living Culture website. That's the guy who made the movies about the Jondles and is heavily involved in the food and farm culture in that area. The other sponsors are mostly foodies. This one is a work program for people. MissIzzy will want to investigate it, I am sure.
I guess I wonder if the Jondles participated in any of their work programs?

Living Culture website: http://www.livingcultureonline.com/

At least the two are safely away for now. I don't think that either of them is the typical run of the mill everyday criminal. I think their 'problems' are very complex. Hard to know if the crime could have been averted. I imagine there were some previous warning signs with Andrew that were possibly overlooked. The whole thing is just too sad for words.

I found a regional magazine article about the Jondle farm. It seems that they butchered over 2000 meat chickens in 2009 and 60 hogs.

http://www.itemizerobserver.com/DIOExplorer/explore06.pdf

I wonder if they did the butchering of the hogs themselves. That's something like a hog every five days. I have to say, being related to several "foodies" (one of whom chef-ed in Toulouse for a year and one of whom worked on a goat farm in Italy for a year, learning to make cheese), that I am quite impressed. Putting my own eating preferences totally aside, this couple found a niche market which was surely growing. With the sons growing up and away, no doubt they'd need help. The foodie life definitely includes apprenticeships. I'll look into that.

Has anyone seen a wedding announcement for the middle son? It looks as if he married another member of the Calvary Chapel in 2009 or early 2010. I wonder if that was a stressor for the family or something greatly celebrated. I would think the food would have been wonderful for the reception.

Something strange just dawned on me. Cindy is on probation for some crime and her children are in foster care. How did she come to know where her children were living? That is extremely unusual. Almost always, foster families are accorded confidentiality due to safety concerns. We've had some horrific crimes committed involving children in care in the last ten years. I am a licensed foster parent for Developmental Disability Services and the ONLY time I've ever had a birth parent in my home was when a very ill child was placed with us in a voluntary placement.

It doesn't sound as if Cindy has a car. How would she visit her children near the Jondles home or even know that they were there. I guess there's the possibility that the children are teens and shared the info with her. Visits are carefully monitored and usually videotaped at DHS visiting centers. When a reunification is pending, visits will progress to local parks or restaurants and then to overnights. Rarely, though, does a birth parent visit in a foster home. It is just never encouraged (or even allowed, as far as I know) especially with regular foster care.

Polk County authorities believe money was motive in killings of Dallas farm couple

This is one of the first articles.

"A man accused of murdering his parents on their bucolic farm near Dallas was after money to help his girlfriend get her children out of state custody, authorities say.

"They had to pay back rent and pay for her to get her living conditions stabilized so she could get her kids back from DHS," said Polk County Sheriff Bob Wolfe, referring to the state Department of Human Services."

and

"The son moved in with Beck in her apartment in south Salem. Court records show that her children were taken away in a March 2009 conviction for theft and criminal mistreatment of her children. Conditions specify that she submit to breath and urine tests, undergo a substance-abuse evaluation and have no contact with the victims.

Beck also was convicted of felony theft in 1992 and in 2004 of harassment, a misdemeanor. Andrew Jondle did not have a criminal record."

Thank you, i.b.nora, for that post. It's always so helpful to go back and read the first reports. Lots of details get scrambled in later articles. There's a timeline in every state which must follow the federal mandate. When children enter the foster care system, states are required to start a process called "concurrent planning". This means that funds go towards reunifying the children with their legal families while at the SAME time, funds are also used to prepare a plan for adoption for the children in case reunification attempts fail.

I worked on advocacy for this process for a full decade and it is probably the most child-friendly part of DHS's work. It quite simply means that if the legal parents don't get their act together in a set amount of months, the "party is over". The child is then fast-tracked for adoption.

The current foster home where the child is already living is usually (not always) a first resource for the child unless there is a willing and appropriate relative. As little as ten years ago, parents would make progress and then backslide. This prevents much of the languishing in care which used to be the norm. A child could be headed to college by the time mom got it together. Three of our adopted children came to us this way and it is a far better process.

This leads me to wonder about the June 2009 date. Oregon has a set number of months to reunify with the legal family:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/groundtermin.cfm

"The Adoption and Safe Families Act (ASFA) requires State agencies to file a petition to terminate parental rights, with certain exceptions, when:

A child has been in foster care for 15 of the most recent 22 months.

However, there are almost always extensions granted and there are exceptions as noted. But, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Cindy's parental rights were perilously close to being terminated and the children placed for adoption. Often times parents don't really grasp the "writing on the wall" until the 11th hour. Then suddenly, there's a flurry of "improvements". Most judges don't buy that.

Could the children have been at the very cusp of adoption? Are the possible adoptive parents neighbors of the Jondles? Is there any possibility that the Jondles themselves considered attempting to adopt the children--thus the comment about a nine year old daughter in the article written last September?

A short update:

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20100910/NEWS/9100339/1001

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/salem_couple_indicted_in_augus.html

Salem couple indicted in August slayings of man's parents at Polk County farm

"A Polk County grand jury handed up murder and conspiracy charges today against a 20-year-old Salem man and his girlfriend in the slayings of the man's parents.

Andrew "Drew" Jondle and his girlfriend, 46-year-old Cindy Lou Beck, were charged with two counts each of aggravated murder and conspiracy to commit aggravated murder. Jondle also faces burglary and robbery charges...."

more at link

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/sep/16/more-murder-charges-in-case-of-slain-salem-parents/

The girlfriend of a son accused of killing his parents on their Salem farm has been indicted of two counts of aggravated murder by a Polk County grand jury.

The Statesman Journal reports that 46-year-old Cindy Lou Beck had been originally charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit aggravated murder and one count of hindering prosecution. She will be arraigned Thursday.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/sep/16/more-murder-charges-in-case-of-slain-salem-parents/

The girlfriend of a son accused of killing his parents on their Salem farm has been indicted of two counts of aggravated murder by a Polk County grand jury.

The Statesman Journal reports that 46-year-old Cindy Lou Beck had been originally charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit aggravated murder and one count of hindering prosecution. She will be arraigned Thursday.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

That is great news!

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...ead_not_guilty_in_murder_of_mans_parents.html

Dallas [OR] couple plead not guilty in murder of man's parents

"A Dallas man and his girlfriend have pleaded not guilty to charges that they killed the man’s parents at their farm in an attempt to steal money, jewelry and credit cards.

The Statesman Journal reports that 46-year-old Cindy Lou Beck and 20-year-old Andrew Jondle pleaded not guilty on Friday to two counts each of aggravated murder, a charge that carries the death penalty in Oregon...."

more at link

Such a heartbreaking story, all around:

http://www.kptv.com/story/15177863/son-accused-of-killing-parents-pleads-guilty

Son accused of killing parents pleads guilty
July 29, 2011

"A man who deputies say used a pipe and scythe to kill his parents last year has pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated murder. Andrew Jondle, of Dallas [OR], will serve at least 50 years in jail as part of a plea agreement. The Polk County District Attorney's Office says testimony against Jondle's girlfriend, Cindy Lou Beck, is part of the deal...."

and

"...Prosecutors had originally sought the death penalty in the case. A judge helped bring the deal to fruition and the victims' family was involved in the process and was supportive of this resolution...."

more at link

A simple statement in this article confirms what I've believed all along....that Andrew Jondle is a young man with some sort of disability, possibly autism or Asperger's Syndrome. Healthy and normally functioning twenty year old men don't "run away from home". I firmly believe that Beck simply used him as a tool in an attempt to get money. There's also confirmation that Beck's children were in foster care near the Jondle farm and interviews with Andrew's brothers. My heart goes out to them. They not only lost their parents but also their brother.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20110901/NEWS/109010334/1001

Woman faces 20 years in slaying
September 1, 2011

"About 14 months ago, Andrew Thomas Jondle ran away from his family's home near Dallas and moved in with his girlfriend, a Salem woman 26 years older than him. About two months later, Jondle and the woman, Cindy Lou Beck, hatched a plan to kill Jondle's parents. They needed money for rent and wanted to get Beck's two children back from state custody.

The night of Aug. 30, 2010, Jondle rode a scooter to his parents' farm and, with a hay-cutting sickle and metal pipe, killed David Scott Jondle, 61, and Marilyn Ruth Jondle, 58...."

and

"....But for Cindy Beck, we do not believe these murders would have occurred," [Polk County District Attorney Stan] Butterfield said. Beck, 47, pleaded no contest Tuesday afternoon to two charges of conspiracy to commit murder...."

more at link (plus documents and comments)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrskrash2012
Back