GUILTY OR - Isabella Smith, 2, killed, 13yo injured, Cannon Beach, 31 July 2014

Reporter says they have heard information that Jessica was going through a separation from her husband. Husband is talking to law enforcement in WA.
No sign of forced entry.
They don't know how much lead time Jessica may have had or what time the baby died.
The cuts on the teenager were not assessed, she went into surgery in Portland and they don't know the status of the surgery. Don't know how the cuts were made. Don't know how they were inflicted.
The two year old baby is also a girl.
Will know more after serving the warrant on the room.
Will hold another press conference tomorrow.
They are interviewing neighboring guests and employees to get a timeline.

Or was mom escaping with the kids and dad found them?

One of the reporters talked to the mil of Jessica Smith and said they were separated. He was not with her according to the mother-in-law.
Jessica Smith filed for a restraining order on July 17th against him.
He filed to end the marriage in June.

One of the reporters talked to the mil of Jessica Smith and said they were separated. He was not with her according to the mother-in-law.
Jessica Smith filed for a restraining order on July 17th against him.
He filed to end the marriage in June.

So HIS mother mentioned the restraining order. Glad she's helping and not trying to sugar coat their relationship. I don't think this will end well.

So HIS mother mentioned the restraining order. Glad she's helping and not trying to sugar coat their relationship. I don't think this will end well.

I don't think his mother mentioned the restraining order, just that they were separated. The news anchor was the one who mentioned the dates of the restraining order Jennifer Smith filed against her husband on July 17th.

He filed to end the marriage on June 30th. Court records from Clark County (WA) show this according the Fox12 news.

Good grief...I fear Mom did this...jmo

I had the opposite thought. First instincts are screaming DV situation.

The world is getting so ugly, my heart lurches every time I read this kind of story. The teen in Florida who's Mom's boyfriend killed her is also highly disturbing. Family supposedly KNEW he was sexually interested in the 16 year old. But said he wasn't supposed to be alone with her!! WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mom let him stay?!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the opposite thought. First instincts are screaming DV situation.

The world is getting so ugly, my heart lurches every time I read this kind of story. The teen in Florida who's Mom's boyfriend killed her is also highly disturbing. Family supposedly KNEW he was sexually interested in the 16 year old. But said he wasn't supposed to be alone with her!! WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mom let him stay?!!!!!!!!!!!

During the press conference, the officer says he has not been in contact with the father yet, but he believes he is talking to law enforcement in Washington.
Reporters asked if they were looking for another suspect and he said "at this point, no, we don't know who the suspect would be".

I don't think his mother mentioned the restraining order, just that they were separated. The news anchor was the one who mentioned the dates of the restraining order Jennifer Smith filed against her husband on July 17th.

He filed to end the marriage on June 30th. Court records from Clark County (WA) show this according the Fox12 news.

You can read the case here ... http://dw.courts.wa.gov/index.cfm?fa=home.namesearchTerms

During the press conference, the officer says he has not been in contact with the father yet, but he believes he is talking to law enforcement in Washington.
Reporters asked if they were looking for another suspect and he said "at this point, no, we don't know who the suspect would be".

Not accusing the Father, btw.

Why would Dad kill the baby and take the mom? He filed for the divorce. Jmo

There are a few horrid possible scenarios that spring to mind:

-Mom flees town w/kids, to escape ex. He finds them and assaults kids and kidnaps, kills wife. [ might be far-fetched, if he is currently cooperating.]
-Mom flees town w/kids, and snaps and harms them herself. [ hope not]
-Mom flees town w/kids, and a boyfriend/stalker/stranger follows them...[ ugh]
Any more ideas?

Maybe mom accidentally harms baby, and runs off, and 13 yr old is so distraught, they cut their own wrists?

There are a few horrid possible scenarios that spring to mind:

-Mom flees town w/kids, to escape ex. He finds them and assaults kids and kidnaps, kills wife. [ might be far-fetched, if he is currently cooperating.]
-Mom flees town w/kids, and snaps and harms them herself. [ hope not]
-Mom flees town w/kids, and a boyfriend/stalker/stranger follows them...[ ugh]
Any more ideas?

Maybe mom accidentally harms baby, and runs off, and 13 yr old is so distraught, they cut their own wrists?

2 sounds most plausible at the moment. Seems like mom could've taken the kids on vacation with the intent of harming them. Possibly to harm herself as well, but couldn't go through with it so she took off. Maybe building up the courage to complete the deed as we speak (or already has).

On the other hand, if dad was involved, maybe he hired someone to do it? Pretty hard to do it himself being back in Washington.

Just speculation on all of this, of course. Details are not really there to support any concrete theory at the moment.

this is starting to sound really bad

http://www.kptv.com/story/26175534/dead-baby-severely-injured-child-found-in-cannon-beach-hotel-room

Police said the child who was found dead was a 2-year-old girl.

The child who survived is 13 years old and suffered "critical cuts." That girl was taken to a Portland hospital on Life Flight.

A housekeeper discovered the crime scene Friday morning. There were no immediate signs of forced entry, officers said.

Police said Jessica Smith had checked into the hotel Wednesday.

According to court documents obtained by Fox 12, Smith's husband filed to end their marriage on June 30. She then filed a restraining order against him on July 17.

http://www.kptv.com/story/26175534/dead-baby-severely-injured-child-found-in-cannon-beach-hotel-room

Police said the child who was found dead was a 2-year-old girl.

The child who survived is 13 years old and suffered "critical cuts." That girl was taken to a Portland hospital on Life Flight.

A housekeeper discovered the crime scene Friday morning. There were no immediate signs of forced entry, officers said.

Police said Jessica Smith had checked into the hotel Wednesday.

According to court documents obtained by Fox 12, Smith's husband filed to end their marriage on June 30. She then filed a restraining order against him on July 17.

Mom harms baby by mistake and leave bleeding teen alone with a dead child? That what seems to have happened, somehow. Jmo

I wonder what reason for father filing for divorce is.

Jmo

I didn't watch the presser, so does anyone happen to know the answer to the following:
1) Where is the father/ex-husband?
2) Is he cooperating with police or is he MIA as well?
3) Is the 13 year old stable enough to talk? If so, she may be able to provide answers to LE.

http://www.dailyastorian.com/free/p...cle_e58078e4-19b0-11e4-88f6-001a4bcf887a.html

At this point, Smith is not considered a suspect, only a person of interest, said Cannon Beach Police Chief Jason Schermerhorn at a press conference Friday evening. “We’re more concerned on her welfare, and we’re trying to locate her and make sure that she’s OK,” Schermerhorn said...

A search warrant has been served on Smith’s hotel room, where there was no sign of forced entry, Schermerhorn said. Investigators will talk to employees and the occupants of neighboring rooms to help establish a time line and the conditions surrounding the crime...

“We’re doing the best we can to figure out what happened here,” Schermerhorn said.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...ant-found-dead-in-Cannon-Beach-269611241.html

They're from Goldendale, WA, about 200 miles east of Cannon Beach.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back