OR - Militia members occupy federal building in Oregon after protest #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what really gets me. From what I am reading it is much cheaper for them to pay grazing fees then it is to own thier own land for thier cattle. I cannot imagine ranchers that own thier own land (paying taxes on it, and all the cost of the upkeep of the land) can be supporting these greedy ranchers.
I'm pretty sure that when the cattle go to market they get the same price per pound weather the rancher is paying thier own way, or weather the cattle are grazed on federal land and refusing to pay thier fees.
I sure would like to an article regarding the opinions of ranchers that are paying taxes and upkeep on thier land.

So would I. Seriously. I really would like to understand this.

ARE there ranchers who own their own land? There must be, right?

There a lot of large ranches in the US. Here's a link to average size farm/ranches by state. http://stuffaboutstates.com/agriculture/farm_by_average_size.htm
Bundy is grazing 900 heads of cattle on federal land. I wonder how much land he would have to own to graze that many cattle? How much he would have to pay in taxes and upkeep of the land?

Of course there are a lot all over the US. In the West land's in short supply. The big spreads have been bought up years ago, so what's left? I don't side with them. Most of the land out there isn't fit for much of anything. If the ranchers ran as many cattle as they wanted. There would be nothing left but sand and rock. The land hasn't recovered from when the first ranchers overgrazed it in the first place. Most of the places out there when we first got there were waist deep grass, now there's nothing but scrub and rock.

HARNEY COUNTY, Ore. — KATU News has learned the leader of the armed occupation at Malheur Wildlife Refuge has been arrested, along with three other individuals Tuesday evening.

Sources tell KATU News there was some sort of engagement involving shots fired as the militia group was on its way to a meeting in John Day.

Highway 395 is closed between Burns and John Day.

The details of the arrest have not yet been released.

OPB.org

Harney County District Hospital On Lockdown
by OPB Staff OPB | Jan. 26, 2016 midnight | Updated: Jan. 26, 2016 5:50 p.m.
OPB has confirmed that the Harney District Hospital in Burns is on lockdown. The Oregon Department of Transportation also closed down the intersection of US 395 and US 20 near Burns.

Armed occupants took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge at the beginning of the month. It’s unclear if the hospital lockdown and highway closure are related.

Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward said he plans to issue a press release shortly.

This story is developing. We will update as soon as information comes in.

Follow all of our coverage on the Armed Occupation in Eastern Oregon.

Of course there are a lot all over the US. In the West land's in short supply. The big spreads have been bought up years ago, so what's left? I don't side with them. Most of the land out there isn't fit for much of anything. If the ranchers ran as many cattle as they wanted. There would be nothing left but sand and rock. The land hasn't recovered from when the first ranchers overgrazed it in the first place. Most of the places out there when we first got there were waist deep grass, now there's nothing but scrub and rock.

This is the problem. They have no interest in replenishing or maintaining BLM land as they would if it were their own. They just take what they want and move on. They're not interested in conservation or the environment - just themselves and their own bottom line.

There's really no ideological or patriotic basis for what these people are doing. But they sure have the Constitutional spin down to a marketing science and it's easy to whip any old fanatic up into a frenzy to add to their numbers.

Les Zaitz ‏@LesZaitz 7m7 minutes ago
Ammon Bundy and others were expected in John Day for a community meeting Tuesday evening. No details on what's become of that meeting.

Les Zaitz ‏@LesZaitz 6m6 minutes ago
At the refuge, no indication of trouble. One militant discounted report of arrests, said no one is leaving, no police there.

So the sheriff in the next county "unwittingly" just stumbled into some sort of picnic lunch these guys were having, whips out his own weird mm copy of the Constitution for the privilege of their autographs... and invites them over to his own county to host one of their organizing I mean safety meetings.

What????? Who believes this garbage?!?

Also may I add that $1.69 A MONTH per PAIR for the feed of two extremely large animals (calves are large imo!) who will end up being sold per head for significantly more per pound, well it just boggles my mind! Quite the profit margin there.... Yet these guys feel oppressed.

I realize ranching is a hard way of life, nothing cushy about it, and there are other costs like labor, equipment, and vet care-- but these people CHOSE to pursue this lifestyle.

I think they're getting a great deal from the (FEDERAL!) government that they wish to denounce and defame.
;(

Wait. If their cattle is on public land, does that make their cattle public property? I feel oppressed having to pay for steak. Gimme one of yer cows, dude...

(Sorry. My hands hurt too much from sitting on them and they got loose for a moment. I've got them now).

Les ZaitzVerified account
‏@LesZaitz
Ryan Payne, one of the occupation leaders, suffered multiple gunshots, according to a local government official.

Les Zaitz ‏@LesZaitz 1m1 minute ago
Police say a statement will be released soon about developments involving law enforcement action and the refuge occupiers. Details scarce.

Les Zaitz ‏@LesZaitz 6m6 minutes ago
Bend hospital confirms it has dispatched air ambulance to Burns but no details on casualties.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/pete_santilli_militants_suppor.html

Pete Santilli: Militants supporter says Ammon Bundy in custody

Two people have been shot and Ammon Bundy is in custody, according to a YouTube live stream report by Pete Santilli, who was speaking outside a hospital in Burns.

Santilli, a self-styled journalist, took to social media to discuss the breaking development late Tuesday afternoon. He also reported that the FBI has told the protesters at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge that they are free to go and need to leave immediately.

Santilli said he was waiting at the hospital to confirm the reports of the shootings. The Oregonian/OregonLive could not independently confirm the reports.​

His (Pete Santilli's) live stream on youtube just keeps hanging up. Reading tweets that he was arrested on his live show. It cut out for me.

Local Vegas news is reporting Ammon has been arrested. We're just down the road from Mesquite. They say they're attempting to reach big daddy, Cliven, to get his comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther