GUILTY OR - Neil Beagley, 16, dies as parents rely on faith healing, Oregon City, June 2008

Ava Worthington, Neal Beagley's 16 month old niece died in March 2008 of pneumonia and sepsis. Ava's mother, Raylene, was Neal's older sister. The trial concerning Ava's "faith-healing death" occurred in July 2009. Raylene was acquitted and the father, Carl, was convicted of criminal mistreatment. Here's some articles from the Oregonian. You'll note that many have other links.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2009/07/calling.html

"Jesus Christ almighty can cure anything," Worthington said.

"Doctors are irrelevant?" Horner asked.

"Correct," Worthington said.

Even if it's a life-threatening situation, Horner asked.

Calling a doctor shows "a lack of faith," Worthington said."

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2008/03/clackamas_child_died_for_lack.html

"A 16-month-old child who died at home this month in Clackamas County could easily have been saved by basic medical treatment, according to the state medical examiner's office.

Dr. Christopher Young, a deputy state medical examiner, said today that Ava Worthington died from bacterial bronchial pneumonia and sepsis, both easily treatable with antibiotics.

Young said the infant's breathing was further compromised by a benign cystic mass in her neck, a mass that had never been medically addressed and could have been removed...."

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2009/07/worthingtons_acquitted_on_all.html

"A Clackamas County jury finds Carl Worthington guilty of criminal mistreatment, a misdemeanor. Jurors acquit Carl Worthington of manslaughter and Raylene Worthington of both mistreatment and manslaughter."

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2009/07/followers_of_christ_church_has.html

"The Followers of Christ have a long history of children dying from untreated medical conditions.

Of 78 children buried in the church cemetery from 1955 to 1998, at least 21 could have been saved by medical intervention, according to a 1998 analysis by The Oregonian....."

more at all links.

This reminds me of a story. A man was a firm believer in God. He had money problems. Every week, he got on his knees, asking for God to let him win the lottery. Weeks went by, the prayers turned to pleading. The man never won the lottery.

He couldn't figure out why he didn't win, but every week he would pray and started fasting, imploring God to let him win the lottery.

One day, on the was home from work, he was in an accident. He got to the gates of heaven. He was so excited to see God. He said to God, 'Can I ask you a question?'

Of course God told him he could. The man asked, "God, every week I prayed and asked you to help me win the lottery. It would have ended all of my money problems. Why didn't you ever let me win the lottery?'

God looks at the man and answers, "Well, don't you think that you could have helped me out a little, by buying a lottery ticket?"

God performs miracles every day. I have seen many miracles in hospitals, as well as out of hospitals. Many, doctors could not explain. God gave man the knowledge to cure diseases, prevent health problems and treat pain.

Do these church members shop for groceries, drive cars, use telephones, read manufactured bibles? Those things are no different than medicine. God gave someone the knowledge, that could be used for human benefit.

In my mind, denying a child medical care is akin to child abuse/neglect. I am happy that Oregon is taking a firm stand.

Sunnie--I've never heard that. It's priceless and right on the money. I know how these stories must hurt you, a medical professional. They are so tragic.

For some reason I can't seem to put my finger on, there seems to be a real difference with these "faith-healing" attempts and others I've seen over the years. I am sorry to have to say this but to me, an outsider, these families seem to not value or cherish their children as the gifts from God/the universe/Mother Nature that they most assuredly are. It's as if they heartlessly turn a blind eye to a child in need, as if they are expendable if they are not physically strong. I don't sense a great out-pouring of love. I don't even sense a genuine following in Christ's path.

All I have to do, since I am a Christian and love the same man this group claim to, is to ask myself what Jesus would have done for these children in their time of medical need.

That answers my question.

MissIzzy, I have to say, that I have admire you greatly and thank you for understanding the helplessness this makes me feel!

I'm reminded of the haunting Pete Seeger song, "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" and the line....."when will they ever learn?"

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/index.ssf/2011/09/jurors_in_faith-healing_trial_1.html

Jurors in faith-healing trial say evidence overpowered a weak defense
September 29, 2011

"Dale and Shannon Hickman tightly embraced and trembled in tears Thursday after a Clackamas County jury found them guilty of second-degree manslaughter in the faith-healing death of their newborn son. Jurors deliberated less than four hours and their verdict sent another resounding warning to the members of the Hickmans' church, the Followers of Christ, that failing to provide medical care to critically ill children is unacceptable and will be punished.

The Followers have a long history of children dying from treatable medical conditions, and Oregon has a history of granting legal protections to faith healers. But because of a recent change in state law, the Hickmans could be the last Oregon parents to receive special consideration..."

and

"...A pediatric expert who testified at the 10-day trial said the baby had a 99.9 percent chance of surviving if he had been taken to a hospital -- the standard response for premature babies born at home. Even defense medical experts agreed hospitalization was the right choice. The Hickmans said they knew the baby was born early but believed he would survive. When he turned blue, gasped for breath and lost consciousness, the Hickmans prayed but did not attempt to get medical help...."

and

"...Some of the most damning testimony came from the Hickmans and their relatives -- all lifelong members of the Followers of Christ. The church witnesses exhibited "a fatalistic attitude all the way," Fleming said. Prosecutors said David Hickman's fate was sealed when he took his first breath. The boy -- a great-great grandson of church founder Walter White -- would never have received medical treatment, regardless of his condition...."

more at link

Tragically, I have stood by an infant as she took her last breath. My granddaughter was born at home, full-term, after two healthy births by her mother. She was born with a tremendously disabling condition/syndrome which did not show up on specialized ultra-sounds. Yet, per her parents' and the midwife's request, she was transported to the NICU. There my husband and I got to touch her and hold her. The pediatricians were clear from the moment we arrived that no heroic measures would be taken. Our little girl was not meant for this world. All the machines were unhooked and she gently passed held by her mother and father as the family gathered around and sang Amazing Grace. Her middle name was Grace. She passed four years ago next month.

I held that baby for several hours until her parents were ready to embrace her. Their grief was insurmountable. But as I held her and loved her, I knew that everything that could have been done for her had been done. She'd had excellent prenatal care, a healthy and strong mother, a well respected and highly skilled nurse midwife. Our little girl just had other plans.

That's why these deaths hurt me so much. David could have lived.......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back