OR - Teen suspected of trying to set off bomb at public event

:eek: Chilling. I am so thankful this did not happen. Very scary.

Just a bit of info on the US Somalis. The are Bantu, an ethnic minority from southern Somalia, a product of the 19th-20th century slave trade. During the 1991 Civil War in Somalia, they lost their lands and became refugees, many going to Kenya. They really wanted to go to Tanzania, but the international community, mostly the US, decided they would be better off in the US. Great idea... (not)

At least 20 Somali teens have been recruited from Minneapolis to return to Somalia to fight with al-Shabaab, a violent miliary terrorist organization in Somalia, which is linked to Al Quaida. Six have died, and it's not quite certain what's happened to the others. There seems to be a real problem with young Somali men who live here. I assume the parents of these young men brought them here, and they have a strange idea that they don't belong, despite the fact they might be dead had they remained in Somalia. It will be interesting to read the background of this young OR man.

As the crow flies, it's only 150 feet. They talked about a bomb destroying up to two blocks. He was going to do it. In fact, they allowed him so many outs and he still carried through.

Okay, now I admit I'm nervous. We live less than a block from our town's Christmas tree. :(
Thoughts & prayers for those in Portland who are now realizing terrorism is closer than they think.

This is very frightening. I worry about our malls during the pre-Christmas season.

BBM is VERY unsettling..

snip

The FBI operatives cautioned Mohamud several times about the seriousness of his plan, noting that there would be many people, including children, at the event, and that Mohamud could abandon his plans at any time with no shame.

"You know there's going to be a lot of children there?" an FBI operative asked Mohamud. "You know there are gonna be a lot of children there?"

Mohamud allegedly responded he was looking for a "huge mass that will ... be attacked in their own element with their families celebrating the holidays."

Mohamud dismissed concerns about law enforcement, explaining that, " ... It's in Oregon; and Oregon, like, you know, nobody ever thinks about," according to the affidavit.

"The threat was very real," said Oregon's FBI Special Agent in Charge Arthur Balizan. "Our investigation shows that Mohamud was absolutely committed to carrying out an attack on a very grand scale. At the same time, I want to reassure the people of this community that, every turn, we denied him the ability to actually carry out the attack."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fbi_thwarts_terrorist_bombing.html

I hope he gets lwop or the needle.:banghead:

Teen suspected of trying to set off bomb at public event

(CNN) -- A 19-year-old has been arrested in connection with a plot to detonate a vehicle bomb at an annual Chistmas tree lighting ceremony in Portland, Oregon, on Friday evening, the Justice Department announced.
snip
Mohamud was arrested by the FBI and Portland Police Bureau after he attempted to detonate what he believed to be an explosives-laden van

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/27/oregon.bomb.plot/

Thanks JB.... you beat me to it :)
I just came here to post this.
Somali-born teen arrested in car bomb plot
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40389899/ns/us_news-security/
>>>snip

The official told The Associated Press that Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was acting on his own — without any instruction from a foreign terrorist organization.

>>>>snip

:waitasec: and how does this officer know that this boy was acting on his own? :waitasec:
Who trained this boy?
Where did he learn these expressions? :waitasec:
Mohamud yelled "Allahu Akhkbar" and tried to kick agents and police as the arrest came.

Sometimes they take the balm not to jeopardize others.
I am not yet buying the he acted alone it is too soon to say that.

BBM is VERY unsettling..

snip

The FBI operatives cautioned Mohamud several times about the seriousness of his plan, noting that there would be many people, including children, at the event, and that Mohamud could abandon his plans at any time with no shame.

"You know there's going to be a lot of children there?" an FBI operative asked Mohamud. "You know there are gonna be a lot of children there?"

Mohamud allegedly responded he was looking for a "huge mass that will ... be attacked in their own element with their families celebrating the holidays."

Mohamud dismissed concerns about law enforcement, explaining that, " ... It's in Oregon; and Oregon, like, you know, nobody ever thinks about," according to the affidavit.

"The threat was very real," said Oregon's FBI Special Agent in Charge Arthur Balizan. "Our investigation shows that Mohamud was absolutely committed to carrying out an attack on a very grand scale. At the same time, I want to reassure the people of this community that, every turn, we denied him the ability to actually carry out the attack."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fbi_thwarts_terrorist_bombing.html
What a sick SOBMF :furious:
I dont think our economy can stand the expense of a trial.
Just put an alligator in his cell.

yesterday & today I've seen tweets - talking about going to some outdoor celebration somewhere in the US.

How many more Mohammeds are there? Did the feds get 'em all?

I can't stop wondering.

How many more Mohammeds are there :( many mor then we really know of :(

Did the feds get 'em all? Nop! they are out there lurking and planing what they call Operation Hemorrhage" that means get are slowly but surly, while it also drains our economy completely. :furious:

that is why I go for the alligator in thier cell, with no extra expenses. :innocent:

I'm freaked out - all the way over here in TX....I'd be shaking if I lived where y'all live.

I was reading comments at oregonlive...one lady said her family moved to Oregon after 9/11 to be safe - now she's worried how to run w/ her kids in her arms. :(

Sweetie, sadly those animals exist in every State now. :angel:
Oregon just had great men watching, Bless you guys and thank you.

I waited until 8 am to text my daughter. I have no reliable phone service here on my new mountain so I used my walker to go outside and stand on a chair and held the phone up as high as I could in the snow. Within a minute, I got a text back. My daughter had been terrified. There was no bluster, no "Momma, don't worry". She was afraid and rattled.

I misspoke up thread as I'm not exactly sure where the man was arrested but the vehicle was parked less than 100 feet from where "K" stood to watch the lights. She could only be off the floor for a minute or two so she rushed to get as close as she could. She's shaken but said that everyone has been very supportive of one another. I'm sure it will take some time for it to sink in. But she's safe. But I have to agree with other posters....where next?

Concerning Somalian born young men, Ashland is the home of Southern Oregon University and a number of Somalis attend. Also, our local school district's most beloved youth advocate is from Somalia. Our children have grown up with him as a staunch mentor. One of our soccer coaches is Somalian. I'm sure in Corvallis, where this young man lived, there are many Somalis due to the presence of Oregon State. My heart goes out to other Somalian young men as they will suffer from this one man's horrid and wicked acts.

I lived in Portland for 8 years, I consider it home, and have many many great friends and family there. This is unbelieveable to me. Its true, You would never expect it there. Its such a beautiful city, people are all so open minded and caring, but I guess no where is safe anymore :(

I waited until 8 am to text my daughter. I have no reliable phone service here on my new mountain so I used my walker to go outside and stand on a chair and held the phone up as high as I could in the snow. Within a minute, I got a text back. My daughter had been terrified. There was no bluster, no "Momma, don't worry". She was afraid and rattled.

I misspoke up thread as I'm not exactly sure where the man was arrested but the vehicle was parked less than 100 feet from where "K" stood to watch the lights. She could only be off the floor for a minute or two so she rushed to get as close as she could. She's shaken but said that everyone has been very supportive of one another. I'm sure it will take some time for it to sink in. But she's safe. But I have to agree with other posters....where next?

Concerning Somalian born young men, Ashland is the home of Southern Oregon University and a number of Somalis attend. Also, our local school district's most beloved youth advocate is from Somalia. Our children have grown up with him as a staunch mentor. One of our soccer coaches is Somalian. I'm sure in Corvallis, where this young man lived, there are many Somalis due to the presence of Oregon State. My heart goes out to other Somalian young men as they will suffer from this one man's horrid and wicked acts.

GOD bless your you & your daughter. Glad she is OK :)

I knew this sounded familiar. FBI has used this same tactic to arrest a young man here in central IL about a year or so ago. He intended to blow up the federal courthouse here in my town.

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/...pringfield-illinois-courthouse-press-release/

Anybody who doesn't think big brother is watching our online activities is deluded. Thank goodness the FBI was monitoring both this current young man and the young man from Decatur IL MOO

This is indeed scary. I am interested in what led him in this direction. Somewhere I read that he expressed hatred of Americans back in high school as well. Given that he is 19, it's apparent that this has been festering for awhile. I saw his picture - he could've been a male model had he met the height requirements and chosen to do so. Beautiful bone structure. I understand he is not native born to America, but this is the country that gave him refuge from the horrors of war in Somalia. How did he work up such hatred? I will be reading more on this as events unfold.

MOO based on what was revealed about the young man in Central IL who tried something similar about a year ago, the terrorists, muchlike gangs, are purposefully courting a certain type of young person. Usually feels disenfranchised, like an outsider, usually with anger issues or a skewed sense of social justice that's been affronted by some event or another.

all moo, based on what we learned about OUR would be bomber.

Thanks JB.... you beat me to it :)
I just came here to post this.
Somali-born teen arrested in car bomb plot
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40389899/ns/us_news-security/
>>>snip

The official told The Associated Press that Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was acting on his own — without any instruction from a foreign terrorist organization.

>>>>snip

:waitasec: and how does this officer know that this boy was acting on his own? :waitasec:
Who trained this boy?
Where did he learn these expressions? :waitasec:
Mohamud yelled "Allahu Akhkbar" and tried to kick agents and police as the arrest came.
Sometimes they take the balm not to jeopardize others.
I am not yet buying the he acted alone it is too soon to say that.

MY BOLD
"Allahu Akbar means 'God is the Greatest', meaning that nothing can supersede God or be better than Him. It is a common phraze in Islam and it features in the adhan and prayer. Muslims tend to use it for lots of reasons and to express many emotions."

http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=allahu akbar

All Muslims, whether they are militant or not, are very familiar with this phrase. It would be like a Christian saying, "Thank God . . ." for some everyday event, i.e., "Thank God the bus was on time this morning."

I am so sad to see the fear in most of the posts here.

I understand them, but it hurts to think that their fear tactics have won. When we fear celebrating our holidays or going out with our families, then it's mission accomplished for the bad guys.

Although they plot to kill, it is the fear that they aim to achieve. When you can no longer enjoy the things that THEY (the terrorists) feel we shouldn't be doing, and as a result you stop shopping or enjoying things, then it's game over and the bad guys triumph.

I recall the IRA bombings during my teens and early adulthood, and maybe I have become 'used to' such threats, attempts and deeds (I hope not) but I intend to do my shopping in the usual stores, attend our local Christmas parade, visit the light displays and live my life. If I should cower in the corner, afraid each day, then I may as well be dead.

I will pray tonight that we all recover quickly and step back into the season of joy again.

Hugs to all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back