OR - Teen suspected of trying to set off bomb at public event

Oh NSS, not everyone feels driven to lump all followers of Islam with the extremists that engage in terrorist acts. I liken the terrorists to any religious fanatic from any religion. Crazy people believe in God but their crazyness warps what should be a good thing into something ugly. Many of us here in America wish Muslims no ill will and recognize that the terrorists are similar to those fanatical Christians who run around bombing clinics or protesting soldiers funerals to further their own crazy cause.

ETA I for one, do not hop aboard the fear train, and many thoughtful members here at WS seem to be of the same mind, so I have hope that the terrorists are NOT winning.

Oh NSS, not everyone feels driven to lump all followers of Islam with the extremists that engage in terrorist acts. I liken the terrorists to any religious fanatic from any religion. Crazy people believe in God but their crazyness warps what should be a good thing into something ugly. Many of us here in America wish Muslims no ill will and recognize that the terrorists are similar to those fanatical Christians who run around bombing clinics or protesting soldiers funerals to further their own crazy cause.

ETA I for one, do not hop aboard the fear train, and many thoughtful members here at WS seem to be of the same mind, so I have hope that the terrorists are NOT winning.

I'll have to add one thing, I don't even consider these people to be Muslims. They are just plain terrorists trying to justify their hatred by claiming a religion. Same thing with the ones who say their violence is in the name of Jesus. They can call themselves Christians, but they aren't.

To not recognize Islam as a force behind this, asks for more of it (in my opinion.)

But first: How many times over the years have we said “It’s the jihad, stupid” as p.c.-addled reality-deniers insist the violent jihadists come from a “broad strata” of society? Too many to count. Flashback:

<snip>
You may recall that loony Portland officials several years ago threatened to pull out of the Joint Terrorism Task Force under the Bush administration and refused to cooperate with federal efforts to conduct voluntary interviews of of local Muslims in order to uncover terrorist plots.

You may also recall the Portland 7, black Muslim converts convicted in a conspiracy to wage war against the United States, provide material support and resources to Al Qaeda and contribute services to Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

More at the link
http://michellemalkin.com/2010/11/27/just-another-bomb-plotting-jihadist-yelling-allahu-akbar/

Betcha dollars to donuts that this guy was getting student loans. And, who's going to repay them?

Have we heard a statement from his parents? Relatives?

To not recognize Islam as a force behind this, asks for more of it (in my opinion.)

More at the link
http://michellemalkin.com/2010/11/27/just-another-bomb-plotting-jihadist-yelling-allahu-akbar/

More of what? More hate, more killing?

Every day on this forum we see death and destruction, and Islamic terrorists are what we (in the US) have come to see as the root of all evil, and yet it seems that 'love' us are responsible for more deaths than those who hate us.

I guess I have a broader view, having lived most of my life in the UK. We lived with terrorist threats from the IRA on a daily basis.
Later we suffered with Basque separatists.

I moved here and found, clinics being picketed, doctors being threatened and killed, teens with guns killing on college campuses, an endless list of killing. Flag waving and hatred at Military funerals.

None of the above was created by Islamic or Muslims, they are EXTREMISTS, who hide behind whatever 'cause' they feel will lend justification to their violence.

More of what? More hate, more killing?

Every day on this forum we see death and destruction, and Islamic terrorists are what we (in the US) have come to see as the root of all evil, and yet it seems that 'love' us are responsible for more deaths than those who hate us.

I guess I have a broader view, having lived most of my life in the UK. We lived with terrorist threats from the IRA on a daily basis.
Later we suffered with Basque separatists.

I moved here and found, clinics being picketed, doctors being threatened and killed, teens with guns killing on college campuses, an endless list of killing. Flag waving and hatred at Military funerals.

None of the above was created by Islamic or Muslims, they are EXTREMISTS, who hide behind whatever 'cause' they feel will lend justification to their violence.

This is such an apples to oranges comparison - and I only see it in justification "that it's not an Islam problem, it's just a few misguided terrorists clinging to their extreme view of their religion."

The phelps group is a family of disgruntled humans, every one denounces them, even Falwell did, and they picketed his funeral. I can find no where that indicates they are responsible for a single death in the US or abroad.

Where's the denunciation of CAIR on the Somali kid in Oregon? *crickets*

Abortion clinic violence -
In over 30 years of protesting against abortion clinics - eight - EIGHT people have died. The motivation of a few of these have been rumored to be in retaliation for specific abortions. By the way there have been more than 40 million abortions in the same amount of time, and more than 150 deaths that have occurred to women as a "side effect" of abortions (a huge majority of these not even reported correctly...but let's go back and concentrate on Islam not being the center of a concentrated effort of terrorism)

By the way - most national pro-life groups, mainstream pastors, and religious leaders condemned clinic violence.

As of 2007 there were 323 deaths in schools over the past 15 years, (there were 111 other deaths everything from strangulation to heart attacks, and suicides) with over 70 million kids from K-College. 323 is too many, but statistically speaking....this is not really an epidemic.

Compare that to the Jihad which is the Muslim holy war
Since 9/11 16,446 deadly terror attacks have occurred world wide
In the month of October
181 Jihad Attacks occurred in 17 countries, between 5 religions, 616 human lives are gone, and 923 people were critically injured

Last week alone there were 28 Jihad attacks
120 people killed
194 critically injured.

sources: Google - abcnews.com religionofpeace.com afterabortion.org

Charlie a thanks button was not enough. I wish people would seriously ask themselves why they are so afraid to look at what is real and the truth even if it would serve humanity as a whole, but offend a certain group.

My cousin converted to Islam and she even admitted that moderate muslims do not condemn these violent actions and it is beginning to trouble her.

It is sad to me that more people have been/are killed in the name of God than for any other reason.

The christians did it with the crusades and the muslims are doing it with jihad.

I grew up in Saudi Arabia... I loved the people and miss it terribly but do not think for one moment that some muslims don't see us as infidels...

However, a prominent member of the Somali community in Portland (estimated to number 8,000) says a relative played some role in helping to put the FBI on the young man's trail — though that relative was almost certainly unaware of the scale it would assume. "Before this happened, the father informed Homeland Security and the FBI that something was going on with his son," claims Isgow Mohamed, executive director of the Northwest Somali Community Organization, who says he knows Mohamud's family well and had been in touch with them. "This a good family. The father is an engineer at Intel. This is not somebody who is on public assistance. He is a family man, a businessman, a religious man, a soccer player."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2033372,00.html#ixzz16i5PYuex

However, a prominent member of the Somali community in Portland (estimated to number 8,000) says a relative played some role in helping to put the FBI on the young man's trail — though that relative was almost certainly unaware of the scale it would assume. "Before this happened, the father informed Homeland Security and the FBI that something was going on with his son," claims Isgow Mohamed, executive director of the Northwest Somali Community Organization, who says he knows Mohamud's family well and had been in touch with them. "This a good family. The father is an engineer at Intel. This is not somebody who is on public assistance. He is a family man, a businessman, a religious man, a soccer player."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2033372,00.html#ixzz16i5PYuex

Wow, that's interesting free.. the O article today downplayed that "a tip" had put the FBI onto Mohamud. That story never intimated that it was a relative or the father who had done so.

(I snipped your size tags :) )

The parents are considered quite 'modern'; his mother does not wear hijab and the parents may be separated/divorced. The family had tremendous standing in the Somali community by all accounts.

A Somalian soccer player from Beaverton/Corvallis? So, he not only scares the pea turkey out of me by placing what he thought was a bomb laden van directly in front of my daughter's place of work but no doubt, the jerk has played my son. My son played for Chemeketa College last year and his high school soccer coach is Somalian. Our son is African American and because he knows a little of the language, he's always sought out Somalian players. He's playing for a team in Germany right now (and having quite a bit of hassle--until he opens his mouth and speaks). I will have to ask. His childhood league team has always done a Somalian chant prior to games.

With the way Oregon teens are all seemingly interconnected, many many teens must be reeling today.

FWIW, my daughter was back at her post the next day. She's not letting fear run her life. When she got mugged in LA, she bounced right back. Due to my illness imposed isolation, I feel blessed to not have to make that choice for myself. But I can still worry about my children's safety with full impunity.

It is sad to me that more people have been/are killed in the name of God than for any other reason.

The christians did it with the crusades and the muslims are doing it with jihad.

I grew up in Saudi Arabia... I loved the people and miss it terribly but do not think for one moment that some muslims don't see us as infidels...

um.....the crusades were against the muslims.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/...11182_oregonbombingtheteenagerbehindtheplot_1

"....The Somalia-born teenager lived a typical student life, said MAH, an alum of the school who's now teaching English in Egypt, via a Skype interview with The Daily Beast. He was funny, a good conversationalist, a clown. He was known as &#8220;Mo.&#8221; And he never let on that he hated America....."

and

".....He came to America with his family at age 5, said YW, the imam at the Salman Alfarisi Islamic Center, the local mosque the young man attended occasionally. The boy&#8217;s father brought him and his family to Corvallis for better schools and a better way of life. After graduating from Westview High School in Beaverton, Mohamud enrolled at Oregon State University in the fall of 2009 as a &#8220;non degree-seeking student&#8221; with an interest in studying engineering..."

and

After two quarters, Mohamud dropped out, then re-enrolled again this fall before again halting his studies on October 6...."

and

"....from the young man&#8217;s appearance and from what his friends told the imam, Mohamud didn&#8217;t seem to take the faith all that seriously, ignoring its rules about premarital sex, drug, and alcohol use. &#8220;He wasn&#8217;t very devout...."

more at link

IMO, this really does NOT jive with other reports we've read that state the teen had a festering hatred for the US and thought that living here was a sin, does it?

Another article with statements from friends and classmates:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...gon-bomb-plot-20101129,0,2189239.story?page=1

(two pages)

I don't get too worked up over the comment by the former classmate who reported Mohamud's comment, "I hate Americans". The friend was alarmed enough to alert school staff. However, to be perfectly honest, I doubt that the kid would have reported it if Mohamud was of a different color/religion and said that he hated girls or his parents or cops or "this school". Teens are known to speak in absolutes.

The rocket launcher in physics class seems to almost play into a class clown persona. He's Somalian. He's Muslim. I can see how others would have even laughed at this behavior. They might have thought it a skewed parody. Same with his teacher.

No, there's something we haven't learned yet. Someone got to this kid and changed him within the last couple of years. The whole story has not been told, IMO.

Another article just posted concerning Mohamud's childhood and family:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/divorce_lit_teen_fuse_p5kQWJ3dVE6mXkokkUspZO

"Oregon's teenage Christmas-tree bomber wannabe was his immigrant mom's golden boy until his terrorist fervor took hold and was possibly intensified by anger over his parents' divorce....:

more at link

MY BOLD
"Allahu Akbar means 'God is the Greatest', meaning that nothing can supersede God or be better than Him. It is a common phraze in Islam and it features in the adhan and prayer. Muslims tend to use it for lots of reasons and to express many emotions."

http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=allahu akbar

All Muslims, whether they are militant or not, are very familiar with this phrase. It would be like a Christian saying, "Thank God . . ." for some everyday event, i.e., "Thank God the bus was on time this morning."

I respectfully disagree, since allah is the idol cresent moon from long ago in Babylon. You have probably noticed it atop their mosques. It would be more like Christians saying,"I can thank my lucky stars for that," which of course they don't say, though we do like our lucky charms due to the sweet marshmellows surrounded by little masses of oat cereal.
The word allah is used one time in the Scriptures, and it means to rise up, as in the moon rising up in the sky.

jmo oc.

Another article with statements from friends and classmates:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...gon-bomb-plot-20101129,0,2189239.story?page=1

(two pages)

I don't get too worked up over the comment by the former classmate who reported Mohamud's comment, "I hate Americans". The friend was alarmed enough to alert school staff. However, to be perfectly honest, I doubt that the kid would have reported it if Mohamud was of a different color/religion and said that he hated girls or his parents or cops or "this school". Teens are known to speak in absolutes.

The rocket launcher in physics class seems to almost play into a class clown persona. He's Somalian. He's Muslim. I can see how others would have even laughed at this behavior. They might have thought it a skewed parody. Same with his teacher.

No, there's something we haven't learned yet. Someone got to this kid and changed him within the last couple of years. The whole story has not been told, IMO.

Another article just posted concerning Mohamud's childhood and family:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/divorce_lit_teen_fuse_p5kQWJ3dVE6mXkokkUspZO

"Oregon's teenage Christmas-tree bomber wannabe was his immigrant mom's golden boy until his terrorist fervor took hold and was possibly intensified by anger over his parents' divorce....:

more at link

There is a mosque in Corvallis, OR.
Imo, there are many there who feel the same way as this young man.
Once, while in Albany, before 911, I was in the Joanne's fabric store, when I looked up to see a middle eastern man, with a woman in a burka by his side. The man and I looked into each others eyes, after I looked at the woman, with my dropped jaw, as I had never seen anything like that before. They were both shorter than I am at 5'3".
The hatred in that man's eyes was like something I've never seen in my life.
After 911, I researched where the mosques were in this courntry, and in this State of Oregon, and discovered the one in Corvallis, which is where this young man lived, and likely attended the mosques there.
I'm sure that LE knows the names of each person there, as they should, imo.
Universities do tend to have a higher alien population, because apparently if they aren't born in this country they can apply for free education.
Now imo, that is discrimination. I always thought they had to pay the highest tuition, until I learned of the man born in NM, who got a free education, but would have been ineligible had they known he was born in this cournty. This same man encourages violent jihad in America.

ugh.
all moo

Yosande--I'm very sorry that you've had such a negative experience. Have you ever considered that there might have been something else on that man's mind the day he glowered at you? My experience, also in Oregon, has been very different. Here in Ashland, we try very hard to reach out to different faiths for education, socializing and just being good neighbors. I've been enriched by all I've learned. This is no different than when the Japanese were singled out for discrimination during WWII. It's just not what America is all about, IMO.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...lis_mosque_fire_identified_home_searched.html

Person of interest in Corvallis mosque fire identified, home searched

"Police seized propane and gas containers, digital cameras and a lighter from a home near a Corvallis mosque that was intentionally set afire last weekend, officials confirmed.

Later Monday, officers returned to the home to take DNA and chemical swabs from a resident, Cody S. Crawford, 24. Crawford has not been arrested...."

more at link

I don't what scares me the most here--the fact that Mohamud was a religious radical or that his teen brain was in control. If you ever wonder if teen brains are different than adults', read the "Primal Teen". It's an eye opener. We only "think" we know our teens....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_portl...jA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawN0ZWVuYXJyZXN0ZWQ-

Teen arrested in Oregon car bomb plot led 2 lives

"....In a cell phone video obtained and aired by Portland station KPTV last week, Mohamud rants against the West.

"You know what the whole West thing is? They want to insult our religion," he says in the video, which the station says was recorded May 22 in an OSU dorm room. "They want to take our lands. They want to rape our women."

more at link

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6