OR OR - Winnefred Jeanette Freeman, 20, Portland, 8 May 1968

YaYa_521

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original

NamUs #MP65219
Winnefred Jeanette Freeman,
Female, Black / African American
Date of Last Contact May 8, 1968
NamUs Case Created February 11, 2020
Missing From Portland, Oregon
County Multnomah County
Missing Age20 Years
Height 5' 4" (64 Inches)
Weight 115 - 120 lbs
Hair Color Black
Eye Color Brown

Circumstances of Disappearance - Last seen on 5/8/1968.

Portland Police Bureau
Heidi Helwig, Detective
Address 1111 Southwest 2nd Avenue Portland, Oregon 97204
County Multnomah County
Main Phone (503) 823-1081
Agency Case Number 20-680221
Date Reported February 11, 2020
Website URL Missing Persons | Person Crimes | The City of Portland, Oregon

Searched Ancestry & News Archives & come up with a big fat zero. Would love to help...do we know if she was born in Oregon, was married [i.e. is this her married name?]...anything...

Found the photo - it's her graduation photo on page 30 of the 1965 Yearbook. "Winnifred" Freeman, however, she does not appear in any previous volume, so perhaps the family had moved

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb here...

This disappearance is exactly in Bundy's early life frame, and 140 miles south of his home base of Tacoma on the I-5. It is earlier than any of his confessed murders, but we can be confident that he didn't start killing when he was 27...

Winnefred was a black girl, but we know that Bundy stepped out of his "Type" on at least one occasion - the murder of Kimberly Leach, Florida in 1978. She was a twelve year old girl, whereas virtually all his victims were 17-24.

In all aspects other than race, Winnefred was a typical Bundy victim, unless someone tells us more. She was the right age, had a "Bundy" type hairstyle and lived on the 1-5, just 15 miles north of 1973 victim, Rita Jolly.

OK. Now yous all can kick that theory into shape or into touch... :cool:

Last edited:
PS There are unidentified female remains from 23rd Feb 1970 in Columbus County, OR, 50ish miles from Winnefred's High School. Can't be more precise because there's not a lot of facts.

DoeNet ID 1270 UFOR

1270UFOR

Both a good thing - Not Winnefred, and a bad thing, Another Lost One...

Thank you. I can't register to use NamUs because I'm in the UK
I don't see any other possibilities in NamUs, either. I wish we had more information about Winnifred...it's possible her family reported her missing back in 1968 but LE didn't bother to file a report. That seems to be heartbreakingly common in missing cases.

I don't see any other possibilities in NamUs, either. I wish we had more information about Winnifred...it's possible her family reported her missing back in 1968 but LE didn't bother to file a report. That seems to be heartbreakingly common in missing cases.

I am constantly taken aback by the attitude towards the murdered and the missing in the 1960s, and I mean worldwide, wherever I have poked my Foxy nose in...I remember talking to a young barrister [UK, attorney US] "only" 20 years ago and he said to me, "All these missing [About 200,000 per annum in the UK], they're not missing...people care more about the sports pages than violent crime in their cities."

But back to 1966s Washington and Bundy, where the murder of one young white woman [Supposedly the most newsworthy] and the truly brutal assault on another, garnered a couple of column inches.

I don't think Winnefred's case stood a chance under these circumstances.

She's ruled out on NamUs

Are there more rule outs? Can you post them here. Thank you upfront!

Could this be her? 1219UFCA

UID
Date of Discovery: October 4, 1969
Location of Discovery: Randsberg, Kern County, California
<distance Portland to Randsberg; approx. 13.30 hours>
Estimated Date of Death: 1 year prior <1968>
Estimated Age: 20-40 years old <20 yrs in 1968>
Race: Black.
Sex: Female
Height: 5'2" to 5'4" <5'4>
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Unknown
Dentals: Available. No wisdom teeth in the lower left jaw.
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Unknown.

I wish we could know the identifiers for Winnefred.

Last edited:
The only ruleout listed in NamUs is the UID from 2-23-1970. The 1969 UID from Randsberg doesn't appear to be listed in NamUs...the height and age matches Winnifred, but without more information it's impossible to say if that's her.

It's frustating how LE seemed to dismiss most missing persons as runaways...sadly, in some jurisdictions, this is still the case.

There is a difference in missing age between Namus (20 yrs) and Charley P's (18 yrs). That would mean she is born in 1948 or 1950. I was searching for a birth record for her, but I couldn't find anything. Also searched on Winnifred/Winnie/Jeanette. Winnefred, with an 'e' is not very common. Could she have been adopted? Maybe somebody else has more luck. I also wonder who reported her missing after such a long time and why now.

Last edited:
There is a difference in missing age between Namus (20 yrs) and Charley P's (18 yrs). That would mean she is born in 1948 or 1950. I was searching for a birth record for her, but I couldn't find anything. Also searched on Winnifred/Winnie/Jeanette. Winnefred, with an 'e' is not very common. Could she have been adopted? Maybe somebody else has more luck. I also wonder who reported her missing after such a long time and why now.

The photograph is definitely her Graduation Photo from the 1965 Yearbook [See my post above] so she was born in 1947. The discrepancy in age might well be due to the very limited information we have on the date of her disappearance.

The photograph is definitely her Graduation Photo from the 1965 Yearbook [See my post above] so she was born in 1947. The discrepancy in age might well be due to the very limited information we have on the date of her disappearance.

Not sure how that works, being used to another school system. Why are you sure this is her graduation photo and not a previous year? Did you find it on record? The description of the picture is "Jefferson HS Yearbook 1965". You graduate usually at 18, isn't it? But there are exceptions of people graduating at 17 (skipping a grade) or 19. I should have put in the word approx., my bad.

Not sure how that works, being used to another school system. Why are you sure this is her graduation photo and not a previous year? Did you find it on record? The description of the picture is "Jefferson HS Yearbook 1965". You graduate usually at 18, isn't it? But there are exceptions of people graduating at 17 (skipping a grade) or 19. I should have put in the word approx., my bad.

Yes I did find it on record. This photo is from the Jefferson High School Yearbook 1965, under Winifred Freeman and its on page 30 where she is listed among the Seniors. She doesn't have any identifiable siblings in the school, nor is she pictured in any previous Yearbooks, so it seems unlikely she skipped a grade.

IMO she was probably in the foster system.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back