OR OR - Winnefred Jeanette Freeman, 20, Portland, 8 May 1968

Are there more rule outs? Can you post them here. Thank you upfront!

Could this be her? 1219UFCA

UID
Date of Discovery: October 4, 1969
Location of Discovery: Randsberg, Kern County, California
<distance Portland to Randsberg; approx. 13.30 hours>
Estimated Date of Death: 1 year prior <1968>
Estimated Age: 20-40 years old <20 yrs in 1968>
Race: Black.
Sex: Female
Height: 5'2" to 5'4" <5'4>
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Unknown
Dentals: Available. No wisdom teeth in the lower left jaw.
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Unknown.

I wish we could know the identifiers for Winnefred.

This is the same Jane Doe on the Unidentified Wiki site. Kern County Jane Doe (1969)

PMI: Months

And Jane Doe's Namus file
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Female decedent was found 2.9 miles west of Randsburg in the remote desert of Eastern Kern County.
PMI: 12 months
Inventory of Remains: All parts recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
There was no clothing on or near the remains when recovered.

Jewelry: Decedent had a yellow gold ring on finger with 2 blue stones, 2 green stones, and 2 white/clear stones. Inscribed on inside of the band was "JTC 96914K".

Where did this beauty went to....or coming from. Read totally into the history of the black community in Portland..wow...everybody should...to understand things....Where was she born?....When did her parents decided to go to Portland...very segregated, black's (in those days still called Negros) and white's lived in different parts of the city...in or around 1947 there was a terrible flow, destroying the whole "black" neighborhood. Couldn't find anything related anyhow with this case. There was a pastor Freeman, but this was in the 1800's. "Black" Freeman surname....originated from the slaves trait.....set free...There are a lot "white" Freemans...originated from Germany too.

Last edited:
This might be a stretch, but could she possibly be one of Samuel Little's victims specifically the woman who was found in Las Vegas, Nevada in 1993? She would've been about around the same age as the victim in 1993, was around the same weight, and almost the same height. I think the sketch and her look somewhat similar too, the only thing is Winnefred looks like she has longer hair (when the victim is stated to have short hair and was wearing a wig.

While this post does not reference Ms. Freeman, it does reference the Oregon Jane Doe for whom she is has been ruled out against (per Namus). Remains were located on Sauvie Island (map provided below) - close proximity to Washington, Oregon.

Corvallis Gazette, 25 Feb 70, pg 20
1670421494524.png 1670421612596.png

So I got to thinking Winnefred should be somewhere on the 1950 census, and started digging around.

I'm not sure if any of this is relevant but everyone I'm naming here is deceased so I'm going to post it in the hopes someone here can find a confirmed connection.

In 1936, Dorothy Lee Jones (b: 1921) marries Tony Freeman (b:1909) in Virginia.

In 1940, Tony Freeman registered for the WWII draft from Eastville, Northhampton, VA, lists Dorothy as nearest relative.

In 1943, Tony dies of tuberculosis in Eastville, VA. Still married to Dorothy.

In 1950, Dorothy appears on census in Eastville, VA as a widow, a beauty parlor owner. With her is a 4 year old "adopted daughter" named Winifred Freeman.

In 1958, Dorothy marries Ivory Bracey. They divorce in 1967 following a two year separation.

I'm guessing Dorothy leaves Virginia after this, because the next thing chronologically is Dorothy's obituary, she died as Dorothy Lee Showell, in Maryland in 1989. The obit says her husband, Walter Showell died in 1978. The obituary says she had been active in a church there (Maryland) for the last two years. Not sure how long she had been in Maryland, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't in Virginia after her divorce. Virginia is pretty good about having records online and I don't find anything for Dorothy or Winifred there after 1967.

Not sure this is even the right Winifred of course, but she should be on the census since she was definitely born by 1950, and she's the only one I could find that would fit.

I wanted to add too that IF the above is the same Winifred, and she was adopted, they probably wouldn't have DNA for her. If they do, it would tell us that she was adopted by a blood relative (or someone known to her biological family) or that Winifred had a child.

I also forgot to mention in the above post that the divorce record showing a 2 year separation in 1967 could mean Dorothy left with Winifred in 1965, in time for her to appear in that Oregon yearbook.

Not sure it's her, but I think it's very possible.

I actually hadn't thought of that, she very well could be. At first I thought maybe Dorothy adopted her stepdaughter but then I saw that Tony Freeman died at least 3 years before Winifred was born.

On that same census listing there were a couple other minors living with them but they were listed as lodgers. Only Winifred is listed as an adopted daughter.

In 1950, Dorothy appears on census in Eastville, VA as a widow, a beauty parlor owner. With her is a 4 year old "adopted daughter" named Winifred Freeman.

If this is "our" Winnefred this would mean she was born in approx. 1946.

There is a difference in missing age between Namus (20 yrs) and Charley P's (18 yrs). That would mean she is born in 1948 or 1950. I was searching for a birth record for her, but I couldn't find anything. Also searched on Winnifred/Winnie/Jeanette. Winnefred, with an 'e' is not very common. Could she have been adopted? Maybe somebody else has more luck. I also wonder who reported her missing after such a long time and why now.

The photograph is definitely her Graduation Photo from the 1965 Yearbook [See my post above] so she was born in 1947. The discrepancy in age might well be due to the very limited information we have on the date of her disappearance.

Confusing altogether. For me still no certainty to rule "the adopted Winifred Freeman" found by @Odyssey out for 100%

Yeah, it's weird that the age is different on Namus and CP since Namus is the only source listed on CP.

My guess is that Namus initially said 18, a guess by whoever finally reported her missing in 2020, but they changed it to 20 after seeing her graduation year in the yearbook.

I was able to get the Freeman listings in the 1967 Portland city directory and there is no Winifred/Winnefred listed. Also odd, since she was in school there in 1965 and went missing from there in 1968.

Yeah, it's weird that the age is different on Namus and CP since Namus is the only source listed on CP.

My guess is that Namus initially said 18, a guess by whoever finally reported her missing in 2020, but they changed it to 20 after seeing her graduation year in the yearbook.

I was able to get the Freeman listings in the 1967 Portland city directory and there is no Winifred/Winnefred listed. Also odd, since she was in school there in 1965 and went missing from there in 1968.
Strange. Maybe she was f.i. visiting family, looking for a job? Freeman could also be a married name. Lot's of girls were already married being a senior in school.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769
Back