OR OR - Winnefred Jeanette Freeman, 20, Portland, 8 May 1968

Oregonian (Published as The Oregonian) - September 27, 1968 Page: 23 Location: Portland, Oregon

Attachments

• 1698066172895.png
    1698066172895.png
    92 KB · Views: 10
I think Freeman was a married name, because it changed in 1965 from Harpole to Freeman. She is also referred to as Mrs. Freeman, instead of Miss Harpole in the paperclipping. Oregon's birth and mariages are not public (yet?) so I couldn't find her on My Heritage.

Looks like marriages from 1972 and earlier have been opened as of this year, although it seems you either have to request a copy from the state or show up in person.

They also have something called ‘marriage returns’, which “include information such as number of times married, place of birth and occupations that are not part of the information collected on Marriage Certificates.”

Not to nitpick about the right way this is calculated, it's just to get an impression.

$300 in 1968 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $2,653.35 today, an increase of $2,353.35 over 55 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 4.04% per year between 1968 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 784.45%.

It's seems that the family was not without means, but in context IMO it isn't that much.

I wonder what the main thoughts about her disappearance were in those days and if it was properly investigated. The question would be is this an abduction or did she get away with another man, known to her. Who witnessed her being in her car with this man and where? Could it have been a carjacking by a man and a woman and she wasn't even in the car anymore, when seen. Then why leave it in the city? Where did she live and who was her significant other? Was she happy/unhappy in the marriage? I think her parents have passed. Her husband doesn't seem to have been searching for her, at least nog in recent years, maybe he has passed too. Who is searching for her? I believe she has a brother, maybe he took it upon him to find out what happened. If so, he is probably also struggling with the lack of information, but who knows. I hope she is alive and kicking.

From yearbook Jefferson Highschool, Portland, OR, 1964. I seems to be some extra-curricular activity Header is:

1698212621888.png
Doe anybody have an idea where this is about? I noticed that besides 3 girls, including Winnefred, don't were a shirt with a J. Is anybody familiair with that/knows what that means?

1698212343500.png
And junior year Jefferson Highschool, Portland, OR 1964 in the school's girls football team. Cool!!

1698213312608.png

Last edited:
From the 1950 census: the family was living on.

1 apr 1950
723 N. Morris, Portland, Multnomah, Oregon, United States

There is also a sister listed, not gonna name her here, for privacy reasons. Maybe she is the one who is searching for Winnefred.

As a selected 'princes' at the Girls Poly Highschool, Portland Oregon, yearbook 1962, freshmen year.

1698214149638.png

I was wondering why she made a switch from the Girl's Polytech to Jefferson Highschool, so I dug up some history. So much fun. I came across highschool pictures of girls from the 1920's, an era I love because of the aesthetics, but that's not really relevant....:)

da Vinci Arts Middle School, also known as da Vinci Middle School, is a public middle school in the Kerns neighborhood of Portland, Oregon, in the United States. It is an arts-focused school in the Portland Public School District. The building was originally used as a high school called Girls Polytechnic High School, then renamed James Monroe High School in 1967. The school closed in fall 1978 when its student body was merged into Washington High School.
Before the building's construction, the Girls Polytechnic program had been held at the Portland High School, which was deemed unfit in 1928. It remained the Girls Polytechnic until 1967, when it was renamed James Monroe High School, for president James Monroe, and opened to boys.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brisketfeed
Back