Other children killed in home by intruder, but parents survive?

Jeana (DP) said:
I think Jane was right. Nope, I can't imagine what this poor family went through - horrifying.
I can't take credit for that. It was John Douglas in one of his books who stated that criminals attend jailhouse university, complete with a legal libray where they can all become jailhouse lawyers.

detectivewannabe said:
I saw on another forum a thread about a list of husbands who kill their wives and that got me thinking. Now...first let me explain this is the first thread I have ever started, so if something is wrong or if this is just plain stupid, please delete it or correct me or something!!! OK....Is there an instance where a child or children was killed in the home and the parents were NOT killed and an "true" intruder was convicted? I know there are cases where the child was taken by an intruder and was killed (Jessica Lunsford, Polly Klass, Danielle Van Damm, the Dawallby girl) but they were taken out of the house. I also know that an intruder who has no connection to the victims has in the past killed both the children and the adults. But is there truly a case in which a complete stranger for no reason what so ever but pure evil, come into a home, murder a child (or children) and leave the parents alive AND have been convicted of the crime?

I hope I haven't been rambling. Just have been trying to think of an instance.
Thank you for your time and comments:)
http://www.northeasttimes.com/2003/0717/heather.html
The case of Heather Coffin. Although her killer wasn't a stranger- he had a grudge against Heather's father- he raped and killed her in her own bed. years later he was eventually convicted. Needless to say, many people automatically pointed the finger at Heather's father as the perpetrator...

britgirl said:
http://www.northeasttimes.com/2003/0717/heather.html
The case of Heather Coffin. Although her killer wasn't a stranger- he had a grudge against Heather's father- he raped and killed her in her own bed. years later he was eventually convicted. Needless to say, many people automatically pointed the finger at Heather's father as the perpetrator...

See what I mean? There was a pubic hair and semen at the scene of the crime. Most cases there is something to indicate an intruder.

What is that old forensice adage: Can't remember the person exactly, but in essence when you enter a place or leave a place you leave something of yours behind. You may not see it with the "naked" eye, but it will usually be found.

So there was not "indication" of an intruder in the Routier's home for a reason. No one entered the home........

detectivewannabe said:
You know, I may have an example to my own question. What about that guy who came in a killed Michael Crowe's sister? Remember, the case where the police interragated Michael Crowe and he "confessed" and it ended up being someone else? That's the only one I can think of. Like I said, it doesn't happen as often as husband's/boyfriend's killing thier wives/girlfriends/children.

I'm still thinking........................
The victim was a teenager and I believe the killer was as well. Didn't she snub him in some way and he got even in his thuglike way? 5 and 6 year olds don't have enemies. Teens very often do though.

CyberLaw said:
What is that old forensice adage: Can't remember the person exactly, but in essence when you enter a place or leave a place you leave something of yours behind. You may not see it with the "naked" eye, but it will usually be found.

So there was not "indication" of an intruder in the Routier's home for a reason. No one entered the home........
Yeah...I remember that also. I can't think of where either. Could it be on one of the forensic shows?:waitasec:

deandaniellws said:
Yeah...I remember that also. I can't think of where either. Could it be on one of the forensic shows?:waitasec:
Sounds like something Dayle Hinman would say.

beesy said:
GI Jane was saying the other day how inmates talk and hear all sorts of things. These murders are amazing. 2 convicts hear about this rich man in the middle of nowhere Kansas, and decide to steal the loot. Supposedly he kept a wad of dough in the basement, isn't that it? Tied the girl up in her bedroom, the mom up in the other, the father and son in the basement, I think. Can you imagine the mother and daughter's terror as they heard the gunshots and the footsteps coming closer to their rooms?
The kicker was that the jailhouse stories weren't even true. A local guy made it up to sound like a big shot to the other inmates.

Goody said:
Sounds like something Dayle Hinman would say.
I bet so. I do watch those reruns. She is really smart don't you think?:p

G.I.RattlesnakeJane said:
Hs an article in this months issue that is also interesting.

Seems housewife who is taken hostage and rescued was unable to cry for 2 days after experience. She cried non stop for a while. She reacted in a typical way for a post trauma event.

It says more information is available at

www. rd.com./hostage
Things like this do happen, but Darlie's ability to cry seemed to be intact. Take a gander at her mug shot. She looks pretty teary there.

Goody said:
The kicker was that the jailhouse stories weren't even true. A local guy made it up to sound like a big shot to the other inmates.
Don't they do that to look tough? I sure would want to look a lot tougher than I really am if I was in prison. I know I would be kicked to the curb in one hour after arriving there. I am a wuss. :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

Goody said:
Things like this do happen, but Darlie's ability to cry seemed to be intact. Take a gander at her mug shot. She looks pretty teary there.
OMGosh...can you just imagine what she was thinking? From what I have read she didn't have a clue she was going to be found out and arrested! I bet she was horrified!! I would be.:behindbar

I won't attack any poster for their ideas, theories, etc. I just want people to judge the evidence and not read into it all this armchair psychoanalysis.
Why are you afraid of the psychoanalysis? I will agree that there is not enough information at this point to sit on it and sniff around too long, but it certainly has its place in this case as it does in most other cases.

The cast off blood and the evidence of a clean up. I still think we need to map out darlie blood trail as it will tell us a lot.
You can't map out every single step she took because she went back and forth several times. There is no way to study it drop by drop. I don't think even a good CSI team could do that.

If guilty she has to have a motive for going to the places she went while bleeding. To say she ran around the house aimlessly is a wrong asssunption for anyone who wants to investigate a crime, or even solving who stole the cookie from the cookie jar.

In a crime, where everybody was and what their movements were that night should be looked at.
It might make great TV but unrealistic in the real world. The best you can hope for is to find blood where it should not be if she is telling the truth.

Goody said:
I know! How awful! Just a regular farmer. Didn't they think he had tons of cash to pay his migrant workers and it was hidden in the basement? I haven't read that book in a long time. Not that killing for some bucks would make it ok, just not as horrible, well maybe. It was a terrible cold-blooded crime. The good thing is that the killers were caught before they could hurt anyone else. Another good thing is that Truman Capote wrote about it allowing the entire world to know of these evil men torturing and killing four nice, normal people. People who were loved and missed.

beesy said:
I know! How awful! Just a regular farmer. Didn't they think he had tons of cash to pay his migrant workers and it was hidden in the basement? I haven't read that book in a long time. Not that killing for some bucks would make it ok, just not as horrible, well maybe. It was a terrible cold-blooded crime. The good thing is that the killers were caught before they could hurt anyone else. Another good thing is that Truman Capote wrote about it allowing the entire world to know of these evil men torturing and killing four nice, normal people. People who were loved and missed.
Yes, he is the father of true crime books, that is for sure. Although eastern writers did write about the gunslingers in the old west, though I've heard that they were so glorified that it was hard to find the truth in them. They might be the fathers of tabloid reporting. hahahahahah.

Julie Rea Harper and her son Joel - Tommy Lynn Sells broke in and murdered Joel, Julie was convicted for the crime but her conviction was overturned when Sells off-handedly admitted the killing to a penpal/author, I believe.

His reason was that Julie had snubbed him in a store and he was mad so he followed her home and later murdered Joel as revenge.

CyberLaw said:

It's Locard's theory.

One of basic principles of modern forensic science is something known as Locard's Theory. Simply stated, the theory is that every time something comes into contact with another thing, it either takes or leaves something of itself. Crime scene investigations are largely based around trying to determine what persons may have been present at the scene of the crime and what they may have come into contact with. Additionally, the scene will hold clues about what took place and how. Shoe prints, fingerprints, DNA, fibres, handwriting samples, blood splatter, tool marks, projectile impact patterns, and trajectory measurements all have a story to tell.

Jeana (DP) said:
Before the "Westerfield" and "Lunsford" cases, I never would have thought it was possible for someone to get into a house and walk out of carrying a child and not leaving even a fingerprint, but unfortunately it happens and every possible scenario needs to be considered.

In the "Routier" case, unfortunately for Darlie, every single trail leads directly back to her.

Here is one of the Crime Scene Indicators that I thought was very pertinant to Darlie. This is from Gregg McCrary's profile of the Sam Sheppard Case.

"Another red flag apparent with many staged domestic murders is the fatal assault of the wife and/or children by an intruder while the husband escapes without injury or with a nonfatal injury. "If the offender does not first target the person posing the greatest threat or if that person suffers the least amount of injury, the police investigator should especially examine all other crime scene indicators."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back