Other children killed in home by intruder, but parents survive?

cami said:
aaaahahahaha okay I take responsibility for my actions aaaahahahaha wait I'll take half, Chewy owns the other half.
:laugh: You can just call me Frankengoody now!

G.I.RattlesnakeJane said:
Sorry but the exact composition if the amount of methane in that fart can be traced just TJ ain't gonna like the evidence collection method.
aaahahahahahahah. Sounds like something I would enjoy holding over his head. hahahahahahhaahhah!

Goody said:
Dr Deborah Green poisoned her husband after he moved out and admitted to an affair. He filed for divorce, etc. She set the house on fire and killed two of three children, confessed, was convicted, and has since retracted her confession. Husband survived the poisonings but darned near died too.

There are many more cases of men doing it, but women have also been known to kill their children rather than let them call another woman "Mom". Deborah Green actually thought the deaths of the children would bring her husband back to her.

Thanks! I had forgotten about her!

What about Susan Smith? It wasn't a custody issue but I truely believe it was to get another man who didn't want kids, or I am thinking of Diane Downs? :waitasec: OHHH, haven't had my second cup of coffee this am. Let me do some more thinking. I do know that Susan Smith confessed to killing them.

Goody said:
Dr Deborah Green poisoned her husband after he moved out and admitted to an affair. He filed for divorce, etc. She set the house on fire and killed two of three children, confessed, was convicted, and has since retracted her confession. Husband survived the poisonings but darned near died too.

There are many more cases of men doing it, but women have also been known to kill their children rather than let them call another woman "Mom". Deborah Green actually thought the deaths of the children would bring her husband back to her.
That's what he gets for having an affair! ;) Bet he won't do it again! :D

deandaniellws said:
That's what he gets for having an affair! ;) Bet he won't do it again! :D

Honey. Two of kids kids died in a house fire. I don't think we should say that's what he gets for having an affair. . . right? Obviously, the beyotch was a lunatic idiot. Maybe that drove him into the arms of another woman. Who knows. I just think we should think.

Jeana (DP) said:
Honey. Two of kids kids died in a house fire. I don't think we should say that's what he gets for having an affair. . . right? Obviously, the beyotch was a lunatic idiot. Maybe that drove him into the arms of another woman. Who knows. I just think we should think.
I was making a joke about the affair and getting poisoned....see my wink and smilie? Certainly not the kids dying! :(

deandaniellws said:
I was making a joke about the affair and getting poisoned....see my wink and smilie? Certainly not the kids dying! :(
I started thinking about what drives a woman to kill.
MEN
MONEY
REVENGE- usually involving men or money.
MENTAL DISORDERS-
ABUSE

I think most women can empathize with everything but the money motive.
Maybe that is why so many people love to hate Darlie, not only did she kill children, she did it for monetary gain.

MEN
MONEY
MENTAL DISORDERS-
ABUSE

Maybe that is why so many people love to hate Darlie, not only did she kill children, she did it for monetary gain.
I do not believe anyone hates Darlie here. We do NOT know her. We hate what she did to those precious boys. Poor kids.:(

detectivewannabe said:
What about Susan Smith? It wasn't a custody issue but I truely believe it was to get another man who didn't want kids, or I am thinking of Diane Downs? :waitasec: OHHH, haven't had my second cup of coffee this am. Let me do some more thinking. I do know that Susan Smith confessed to killing them.

Both Susan and Diane killed their kids because their lovers did not want them. I know most people don't believe this was the motive in Susan's case but I do. That Diane was just a monster, she shot those kids because Lew didn't want them and no other reason. Susan at least is/was mentally ill, not that that excuses her.

cami said:
Both Susan and Diane killed their kids because their lovers did not want them. I know most people don't believe this was the motive in Susan's case but I do. That Diane was just a monster, she shot those kids because Lew didn't want them and no other reason. Susan at least is/was mentally ill, not that that excuses her.
I believe that too. Susan's lover wrote her that note and told her that she was a pretty, sweet, smart girl, but that he didn't want kids! He wasn't ready for that kind of relationship yet. I think that pretty much summed it up for me. WHY did the little fool KEEP that note? I am glad she did though. I also heard a cop say on one of the detective shows that they didn't have enough evidence to convict her unless she had confessed.

MEN
MONEY
MENTAL DISORDERS-
ABUSE

There have been several women who have poisoned family members for insurance money, sometimes very modest insurance policies. Not the big bucks that we hear about. They tend to start with spouses and then maybe a parent and eventually their own children, often once theybecome adults or teens. So it is not a stretch by any means to think Darlie and possibly Darin too were willing to kill their children for money to be saved or earned, freedom acquired by the decreases in responsibility, etc. These things do happen.

Goody said:
There have been several women who have poisoned family members for insurance money, sometimes very modest insurance policies. Not the big bucks that we hear about. They tend to start with spouses and then maybe a parent and eventually their own children, often once they become adults or teens. So it is not a stretch by any means to think Darlie and possibly Darin too were willing to kill their children for money to be saved or earned, freedom acquired by the decreases in responsibility, etc. These things do happen.
Yes poisoned, less personal, requires less direct effort. Somewhat non-violent when compared to a weapon being used.

Knives, not commonly used as the first weapon of choice for women.

Drowning like Susan Smith and Andrea Yates- Susan's was much less personal she didn't have to actually hold her children down like Andrea. Andrea however and Susan have confessed.

Who gained from anything here. Darlie didn't make a profit, Darin would have had she died. The obvious investigation that would follow even if they were cleared would have been damaging to the business. Even if they had had a cheaper funeral the monetary gain would have been very little. So money cannot be the motive as we assumed. There has to be more that we aren't deducing.

Yes poisoned, less personal, requires less direct effort. Somewhat non-violent when compared to a weapon being used.

Drowning like Susan Smith and Andrea Yates- Susan's was much less personal she didn't have to actually hold her children down like Andrea. Andrea however and Susan have confessed.

Who gained from anything here. Darlie didn't make a profit, Darin would have had she died. The obvious investigation that would follow even if they were cleared would have been damaging to the business. Even if they had had a cheaper funeral the monetary gain would have been very little. So money cannot be the motive as we assumed. There has to be more that we aren't deducing.
You can't determine how much money they would have made had she not got caught. If Darin had not been involved, I KNOW he would have cashed in on it. As it is now, he can't afford to do anything to make Darlie mad. Of course...JMO :twocents:

You are being too short sighted. Money is the motive. Everything about this case has money laced through it, from not having enough to fights over how to handle the business collections. It might not be the big bucks easy money at first sight motive like a big insurance policy, but these two people were risk takers. They had the entrepeaneur spirit. It might have been as big as what they foresaw in the future for themselves or as simple as manipulating the funeral bills and using the insurance money to fund their summer trips with the expectation that they would get caught up again later. Those trips were much more important to them than we might think. Check out Darin's testimony when asked what his idea of success was. He was focused on trips. I have never heard anyone talk about trips when talking about personal success but he did....he said it was the ability to take trips and not have to settle for places you didn't want to truly want to go, but to be able to go wherever you wanted in celebration of the money you have earned after working hard. Something like that. It blew my mind. It is easy to wave off suggestions that it was money if you are looking for one big win or just what might be obvious on the surface, but just like Darin said...they were living large and lost sight of what was truly important. I think they might have even been living in an altered reality of sorts, so fixated on money and social status that I suspect they were. I think they were trying to hold onto the life style and those trips that they ended up losing out on anyway. I think the kids had become a problem in many ways and they wanted to start over again with just one child. I think they saw it as something they had to do to save their marriage. And I think it all evolved out of that suicide incident in May.

Don't forget that Darlie told the housekeeper just that day that she wanted to sell her jewelry because she needed $10,000. That is exactly what the boys' insurance policies were. Coincidences like that in murder cases always send up big red flags.

Karen Huster was convicted in OR in 2002 for murdering her daughter, Elisabeth, in 1996; Elisabeth was visiting her to attend a family wedding although, as the parents were divorcing, she usually lived with her father. The only motive offered at trial was that Karen was insane and killed Elisabeth because she thought the girl had inherited her mental illness. Since she was determined to be sane, I think we can discount that; it was brought out by the prosecution that it was most likely a control issue - before Elisabeth went to live with her father, Karen refused to let her visit or speak to her father, etc.

As for poison, I remember being taught by some of our profilers that women generally favored poison because it was a sneaky and indirect method, thus didn't require either physical strength or confrontation with the victim. There have been cases where an emotionally passive man has used poison - George Trepal, the "Mensa Murderer" in FL in 1988, used thallium to poison his neighbors, who he considered rednecks and his social and intellectual inferiors, and UK chemistry bad boy Graham Young killed three people with antimony. Poison also offers the murderer a better chance at an alibi as you don't have to be "in for the kill," so to speak.

In Darlie's case, with the apparent financial motive, it would be interesting to see if there is a history of either financial mismanagement (bankruptcy, bad credit, large debt to income ratio, generally living above their income) and/or previous insurance claims. Credit cards and charge accounts in other names are common, as are extensive loans from friends and family members. People who plan to live off insurance proceeds generally start "small," with claims for residential burglaries, thefts, car accidents, and medical problems such as lingering injuries from a car accident or a worker's comp problem that doesn't clear up. Fake burglaries are probably the most common, and could relate to some of the evidence here (cut screen, broken glass) - perhaps they were following a previously established pattern.

Another useful bit of info would be when the insurance policies on the boys were taken out, and whether the amounts are high in relation to industry averages, as well as whether insuring the lives of your young sons is unusual behavior (FWIW, my son is 14 and I have no insurance on him, even though he's a snowboarder!).

Fran

costs over 2000 dollors according to the life insurance commercials I see. 5,000 each child and they spent 14,000 on the funeral and related expenses.

This is about average for a childs life insurance policy.Both Darin and Darlie were insured for 900,000 each.

Darin admits to car theft insurance scam. Darlie was supposedly unknowing of it till later.

Credit card debt was from the business, I think anyone else with better info can correct me.

I don't think any work comp because their insurance rates for the business would go up with any claims, not profitable to scam yourself so to say.

costs over 2000 dollors according to the life insurance commercials I see. 5,000 each child and they spent 14,000 on the funeral and related expenses.
The instant free money Darlie knew she'd get was not why she killed the boys. So it doesn't matter that they blew it all on the funeral. The boys were getting hard to handle. They were costing more money, needing more things. I doubt she knew the funeral would cost that much, but what she did know is that for the rest of her life, she wouldn't have to provide for 2 little boys.
Both Darin and Darlie were insured for 900,000 each
Don't you think that's a huge amount of money?
Darin admits to car theft insurance scam. Darlie was supposedly unknowing of it till later
Darin admits to asking around about it, not to actually planning it. It wasn't for car theft. IMO, Darlie knew. He admits to large debts, including back taxes, late office lease payments and business and personal credit card bills. The business had slowed down alot. Why does the insurance scam make him a killer? I think it makes him a jerk and a crook, but why a killer? Why does it have anything to do with the murders?

This is about average for a childs life insurance policy.Both Darin and Darlie were insured for 900,000 each.

Darin admits to car theft insurance scam. Darlie was supposedly unknowing of it till later.

Credit card debt was from the business, I think anyone else with better info can correct me.

I don't think any work comp because their insurance rates for the business would go up with any claims, not profitable to scam yourself so to say.
Darin does not admit to insurance scams. What he says is that one day he said he wouldn't mind it if someone stole his Jag (probably because the repairs were eating him up) and someone who heard him did steal it. He never says he collected on the insurance or that he even pressed charges against this guy. In fact, it sounds almost humorous the way he says it, like out of frustration he makes an offhanded comment one day and some idiot thinks he is serious and takes the car. Now they try to use that one single incident as proof to show he was in the habit of scamming insurance companies in order to get both himself and Darlie out of the spotlight on this case.

Now if he said, that he got someone to steal his car and after it was stolen, he filed an insurance claim on it, was paid off, and no one was the wiser when he got the car back, you'd have something. There is absolutely NO evidence that there ever was an insurance scam before the night those boys were murdered.

........Both Darin and Darlie were insured for 900,000 each.

This is about average for a childs life insurance policy.Darlie and Darin were not insured for $900,000 each. hahahahahah. It was more like $250,000.

The boys policies were standard. In fact, they were only free riders you get on a family plan. They insure the parents and throw the kids in for free up to a certain amount. However, the fact that the policies were so low does not indicate that Darlie and maybe Darin too didn't have their eye on using it for something else, other than funeral costs. Best laid plans sometimes go awry. They were probably used to juggling their accounts to get what they wanted (like playing checkers with your bills...amazing how one can juggle things around when they want to). They might have just thought they would make payment arrangements on the funeral, use the cash for what was coming up, then catch up later in the year. Remember we are talking about two young entrepeneurs here, not two mature adults who work for the water company. They were risk takers and they loved taking trips . I suspect they were pedaling just as fast as they could to keep up with life and all of its many opportunities.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back