PA PA - Bedford, 'Mr. Bones' WhtMale 30-35, 585UMPA, 30-06 rifle, gold dental wk, camping equip, Oct'58

Richard said:
It would be interesting to learn more about these and other similar crimes. The guy on the trestle probably was either a suicide, or a murder made to LOOK like a suicide to police investigators. The details would provide the clues.

The death of the Marine Sergeant sounds like a murder, as it would be hard to kill oneself with multiple blows to the head with a hammer. Was he robbed? Was he hitch hiking or driving a vehicle. Was the vehicle stolen?
The Marine was on leave, travelling between friends and family in his '42 two-toned Packard. The car was located a few miles away. I was thinking the same thing about the guy on the trestle...It definitely looked like a suicide, but why have two notes and neither related to the suicide? I'm thinking of the possibilty that someone was committing murders and making them look like suicides. I found other deaths which were ruled suicides which seemed odd (all in PA in the '50s)...I'll post later.

Another thought...Not a hunter, but a competitive shooter? The Civilian Marksmanship Program was popular then, having been started in 1916...So the weapon of choice probably was the 03 or something similar (M-1s were popular by the '50s in their competions, but 03s were probably still being used). Their HQ was, and is, in Port Clinton, OH...East to Pittsburgh from Bedford then north.

This would explain the large amount of ammo reportedly found. Maybe he was still "dialing" the weapon in (The missing/fired rounds?)

shadowangel said:
Another thought...Not a hunter, but a competitive shooter? The Civilian Marksmanship Program was popular then, having been started in 1916...So the weapon of choice probably was the 03 or something similar (M-1s were popular by the '50s in their competions, but 03s were probably still being used). Their HQ was, and is, in Port Clinton, OH...East to Pittsburgh from Bedford then north.

This would explain the large amount of ammo reportedly found. Maybe he was still "dialing" the weapon in (The missing/fired rounds?)
That is a possibility, but a competitive shooter would have had a lot of other equipment, such as Shooting glove, shooting glasses, coat, lace-up boots, score book, spotting scope, shooting pad, etc. And, it doesn't seem that any of that was found with him. I have asked the investigator what make/model the rifle was, and what type of ammunition was found (military ball, match, or hunting). Do not have word back yet.

My feeling is that he either intended to do some target shooting, or that he was expecting a shoot out of some sort. It is also possible that he had simply recently purchased or obtained this rifle and ammunition, and was transporting it until he could either store it at his home, or do some target shooting. It would be nice to know what the sight settings were when the rifle was found, and if he had tools for adjusting sights, targets, target shooting equipment, or any suplies to clean and care for the rifle.

The National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio always start in July and go through mid August, with rifle shooting being usually in August. You are correct, in that the 1903 Springfield was still the high power rifle favored for service rifle match shooting at that time. The M1 Garand was being used at matches in the early 1950's, but many more model 1903's were in civilian hands then.

Richard said:
That is a possibility, but a competitive shooter would have had a lot of other equipment, such as Shooting glove, shooting glasses, coat, lace-up boots, score book, spotting scope, shooting pad, etc. And, it doesn't seem that any of that was found with him. I have asked the investigator what make/model the rifle was, and what type of ammunition was found (military ball, match, or hunting). Do not have word back yet.

My feeling is that he either intended to do some target shooting, or that he was expecting a shoot out of some sort. It is also possible that he had simply recently purchased or obtained this rifle and ammunition, and was transporting it until he could either store it at his home, or do some target shooting. It would be nice to know what the sight settings were when the rifle was found, and if he had tools for adjusting sights, targets, target shooting equipment, or any suplies to clean and care for the rifle.

The National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio always start in July and go through mid August, with rifle shooting being usually in August. You are correct, in that the 1903 Springfield was still the high power rifle favored for service rifle match shooting at that time. The M1 Garand was being used at matches in the early 1950's, but many more model 1903's were in civilian hands then.
How difficult would it have been for him to carry this weapon on a motorcycle?

Marilynilpa said:
How difficult would it have been for him to carry this weapon on a motorcycle?
Not hard to cary it if he had a scabbard to put it in, or if he had a case for it, and strapped it on securely. But it certainly would have been difficult to ride around like that without raising citizen and police suspicions everywhere he went.

And what would he do with it every time he had to stop for food or something? He couldn't just leave it in a parking lot.

Does anyone know the story of Peggy Ann Bradnick and "the mountain man" or "bicycle Pete"?

Richard said:
Not hard to cary it if he had a scabbard to put it in, or if he had a case for it, and strapped it on securely. But it certainly would have been difficult to ride around like that without raising citizen and police suspicions everywhere he went.

And what would he do with it every time he had to stop for food or something? He couldn't just leave it in a parking lot.
That is what I was thinking. If he carried that gun around with him, someone would certainly notice it. So perhaps he purchased the gun shortly before he died.

This man had camping gear, a rifle, ammo, a couple of changes of clothing, and the two books (one of which has about 800 pages). All of that stuff is useful if you are roughing it, except for the philosophy and poetry books. Those books must have had some meaning to him, or he wouldn't have bothered hauling them around. Those aren't books you would expect someone to read as he sits around a campfire at night! IMO, either the books reminded him of better days (as a student perhaps, or an instructor), or they belonged to someone he cared about, and he kept them as a reminder of that person.

shadowangel said:
Does anyone know the story of Peggy Ann Bradnick and "the mountain man" or "bicycle Pete"?
I know a little bit about it. It happened in May of 1966 near Shade Gap, Pennsylvania. A mountain man ("Bicycle Pete") who had spent most of his life in jails and institutions abducted a 17 year old girl - Peggy Ann Bradnick. Apparently he wanted a woman, and that was his way of getting one. For 8 days he dragged her through the backwoods of Central Pennsylvania. The manhunt for Bicycle Pete was one of the most massive manhunts in FBI history. The mountain man was eventually shot and killed, and Peggy Ann Bradnick was safe.

There was a made-for-tv movie about this a few years ago.

Some motorcycles had special holsters to hold rifles back in this time period. I don't think it would have attracted as much attention as now that he had a firearm strapped to his bike and if he was in an area that it was common for people to hunt, he would probably just blend in.

upallnite said:
Some motorcycles had special holsters to hold rifles back in this time period. I don't think it would have attracted as much attention as now that he had a firearm strapped to his bike and if he was in an area that it was common for people to hunt, he would probably just blend in.
The man's clothing - dungarees, black leather jacket, and Engineer Boots, certainly indicate that he might have been a motorcycle biker. If he was, then certainly, he had to have transported all of his stuff, including the rifle, on his bike. The big question would be - What became of the motorcycle? If it was taken before he was discovered, perhaps it was a murder rather than a suicide.

Marilynilpa said:
I know a little bit about it. It happened in May of 1966 near Shade Gap, Pennsylvania. A mountain man ("Bicycle Pete") who had spent most of his life in jails and institutions abducted a 17 year old girl - Peggy Ann Bradnick. Apparently he wanted a woman, and that was his way of getting one. For 8 days he dragged her through the backwoods of Central Pennsylvania. The manhunt for Bicycle Pete was one of the most massive manhunts in FBI history. The mountain man was eventually shot and killed, and Peggy Ann Bradnick was safe.

There was a made-for-tv movie about this a few years ago.
Gold star for you! Peggy Ann was abducted while walking to her home after school. She was accompanied by her five younger brothers and sisters. A masked man jumped from the bushes with a rifle and ordered Peggy Ann into the forest. Authorities suspected this was the mysterious mountain man who had been sniping at people, seriously wounding two, and at passing cars for at least the prior 2 years. The man led Peggy Ann through the mountains by a chain around her neck. In the ensuing manhunt, the man shot and killed an FBI agent. The man, William Hollenbaugh, shot another police officer and was then himself killed in a shootout. Peggy Ann was rescued, safe and relatively unharmed. She wore out a pair of shoes trekking through the mountains during that week. Hollenbaugh had a hunting shack that he lived in, and also took Peggy Ann to three caves where he had food, guns, and ammo stored.
Hollenbaugh, known as "bicycle Pete" because of his habit of riding his rusted red bicycle around the local towns. 44 years old at the time of his death, he had served a 5-to-10 year sentence for robbery and was in and out of mental instutions for 13 years, finally being completely released in 1959.
Interestingly, Shade Gap is fifty miles by road to Bedford, but only thirty overland. Peggy Ann estimated they covered over fifty miles in her week of captivity.
I am trying to find out exactly when Hollenbaugh was in (or out) of the mental institution....

shadowangel said:
Gold star for you! Peggy Ann was abducted while walking to her home after school. She was accompanied by her five younger brothers and sisters. A masked man jumped from the bushes with a rifle and ordered Peggy Ann into the forest. Authorities suspected this was the mysterious mountain man who had been sniping at people, seriously wounding two, and at passing cars for at least the prior 2 years. The man led Peggy Ann through the mountains by a chain around her neck. In the ensuing manhunt, the man shot and killed an FBI agent. The man, William Hollenbaugh, shot another police officer and was then himself killed in a shootout. Peggy Ann was rescued, safe and relatively unharmed. She wore out a pair of shoes trekking through the mountains during that week. Hollenbaugh had a hunting shack that he lived in, and also took Peggy Ann to three caves where he had food, guns, and ammo stored.
Hollenbaugh, known as "bicycle Pete" because of his habit of riding his rusted red bicycle around the local towns. 44 years old at the time of his death, he had served a 5-to-10 year sentence for robbery and was in and out of mental instutions for 13 years, finally being completely released in 1959.
Interestingly, Shade Gap is fifty miles by road to Bedford, but only thirty overland. Peggy Ann estimated they covered over fifty miles in her week of captivity.
I am trying to find out exactly when Hollenbaugh was in (or out) of the mental institution....
Would someone who horded guns and ammo leave a rifle and a ton of ammo on the body of a person he killed? Is it possible that Bicycle Pete sniped the UID, he never checked out the body?

This guy was classic whack job, just like to shoot moving things (for no particular purpose).Thinking out loud again.

I don't think that "bicycle Pete" had anything to do with this man, but the possibility exists. It is interesting to compare the two, however, in that Hollenbaugh lived off the land in this area for years, armed to the teeth, and actually began attacking people but was not caught until he went to the extreme of kidnapping a young woman. The utilization of caves for "hideaways" is especially intriguing.

shadowangel said:
I don't think that "bicycle Pete" had anything to do with this man, but the possibility exists. It is interesting to compare the two, however, in that Hollenbaugh lived off the land in this area for years, armed to the teeth, and actually began attacking people but was not caught until he went to the extreme of kidnapping a young woman. The utilization of caves for "hideaways" is especially intriguing.
In a case like this, where Bicycle Pete was obviously a kidnapper, murderer, and general Psychopath, knowing when he was on the loose might lead to solution of a few unsolved cases of firearms assults, missing persons, and unidentified bodies.

The fact that he was primarily a bicycle rider and hiker tends to limit somewhat his range of movement to a certain area of Pennsylvania.

IF... he murdered the Bedford John Doe, then it seems logical that he would have taken the man's rifle and ammunition to one of his hideouts. But maybe, he simply shot him and moved on, not bothering to check. Or, perhaps there was an exchange of fire between the two, and Pete didn't know whether or not he had hit the man. Not wanting to risk being shot himself, he could have simply left him there.

The possibility exists, without knowing the exact date of the incident. If it could be determined more closely when the Bedford John Doe was killed, and where Pete was during that time frame, then perhaps the speculation would be better founded. But I doubt a link between these two could ever be conclusively established at this point.

The most likely thing that Pete would have taken was the rifle and ammunition. If, however, he killed the man and took something else from him - like an identification card - and it were to turn up in one of his caves or existing possessions, then maybe (very long shot) a solid link could be made. It doesn't sound to me, though, that anything obvious was missing from the Bedford unknown, other than some sort of identification.

I saw an interesting scenario on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries today. A young man was hunting, and climbed a tree for a better vantage point (no tree stand). He was resting on a limb when his rifle slipped from his grasp and fell to the ground, butt first. The rifle fired, shooting the young man. Depending on the location of our man in Bedford, a similar scenario seems a possibility (especially if he, unwisely, had the rifle ready to fire with the safety off). Maybe he heard what he thought was game appraoching and began climbing for a better shot?

shadowangel said:
I saw an interesting scenario on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries today. A young man was hunting, and climbed a tree for a better vantage point (no tree stand). He was resting on a limb when his rifle slipped from his grasp and fell to the ground, butt first. The rifle fired, shooting the young man. Depending on the location of our man in Bedford, a similar scenario seems a possibility (especially if he, unwisely, had the rifle ready to fire with the safety off). Maybe he heard what he thought was game appraoching and began climbing for a better shot?

I don't think that is uncommon to climb a tree when deer hunting. Nor is it all that uncommon for a hunter to carry a rife ready to fire and with the safety off.
They teach the safety classes and teach not to do it. But many do.

shadowangel said:
There might be a number of ways that an accident could occur. I recall a case of a boy who was killed because he fired his rifle, close range, at a very hard tree. The bullet riccocheted off the tree and came back to strike him in the head. That would be more likely to happen in very cold weather, when everything is frozen, but a riccochet could happen any time of the year. Such an accident might explain why there were two cartridges remaining in a magazine which normally holds five.

Richard said:
There might be a number of ways that an accident could occur. I recall a case of a boy who was killed because he fired his rifle, close range, at a very hard tree. The bullet riccocheted off the tree and came back to strike him in the head. That would be more likely to happen in very cold weather, when everything is frozen, but a riccochet could happen any time of the year. Such an accident might explain why there were two cartridges remaining in a magazine which normally holds five.
When I was a boy I had a BB gun that I fired at a fence post and . . . . . .you guessed it. One time the BB bounced right back and hit me right between the eyes. I was quite a ways off and had not realized one could ricochet so far. Fortunately for me its force was spent so I did not suffer injury. I don't know whether such a powerful bullet as was evidently used would do the same or not.
Guns aren't something I know much about.

docwho3 said:
When I was a boy I had a BB gun that I fired at a fence post and . . . . . .you guessed it. One time the BB bounced right back and hit me right between the eyes. I was quite a ways off and had not realized one could ricochet so far. Fortunately for me its force was spent so I did not suffer injury. I don't know whether such a powerful bullet as was evidently used would do the same or not.
Guns aren't something I know much about.
The 03, after the introduction of the M-1 Garand, was used as a long-range sniper rifle, if that tells you anything. Think of a shoulder-fired cannon.

I just thought it odd that anyone with a familiarity with hunting and hunting rifles would climb a tree with the safeties off!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cellarman
Back