PA - Coach Told Player to Injure Disabled Teammate, 8

Paladin said:
This doesn't make sense to me. Don't they usually intentionally walk people in this case?
Yeah but my kids can hit just about anything if it's way outside, so they probablly didn't want to take the chance. If they hit her is an automatic walk.

I'd like to play T-ball using the coaches head as the ball.:furious:
Things like this really burn me up.

bakerprune64 said:
Yeah but my kids can hit just about anything if it's way outside, so they probablly didn't want to take the chance. If they hit her is an automatic walk.
Yeah, but at this point the catcher stands up and goes about 10 feet outside of the box to catch the intentional balls so the batter can't reach it. The point is to go far enough away so no one can hit it because the batter is bound by the batter's box. If the batter steps on or over the plate in the process of swinging
for the ball they are called out.

It seems ridiculous to me that in a league with children that an adult would be advocating hitting a batter with a pitch, even if it is thrown lightly.

Yakwoman said:
Can I be on your team????
Yeah me too!!!

Yakwoman, awesome what you do for the advocacy organization. Keep it up, they need people like you.

What's supposed to happen in Little League and what really does sometimes, are two different things.

My boys played locally. We were specifically told that the rules were every child had to play at least part of the game. Well, that didn't happen.....

Seems as if the coach decided his son was going to be the star pitcher. Kid couldn't pitch at all, he really wanted to play first base. There were one or two awkward kids who for some reason were never put into the game. Coach claimed they disappeared when he called them to go in. A number of kids were never rotated out.

One game, we had to get our kids over to Miami Beach for a game on our own. By game time, the coach still hadn't shown up. The officials said we'd be disqualified if we didn't get a roster made up and get ready to play. So, us mothers got with the kids and they decided among themselves who would play what position and the batting order. They were through 3 innings when the coach showed up. He was livid with us. We had no business, etc., etc. One mother told him to shut up and live with it. Well, the officials told him to butt out and let the kids alone. After all was said and done, it was the only game they won that season............Go MOMS.

Absolutely disgusting.

I hope he goes to jail and some big man makes him his girlfriend.

Paladin said:
Yeah, but at this point the catcher stands up and goes about 10 feet outside of the box to catch the intentional balls so the batter can't reach it. The point is to go far enough away so no one can hit it because the batter is bound by the batter's box. If the batter steps on or over the plate in the process of swinging
for the ball they are called out.

It seems ridiculous to me that in a league with children that an adult would be advocating hitting a batter with a pitch, even if it is thrown lightly.
That's what I;m saying, I don't advocate it, however other coaches do.

BarnGoddess said:
They were through 3 innings when the coach showed up. He was livid with us. We had no business, etc., etc. One mother told him to shut up and live with it. Well, the officials told him to butt out and let the kids alone. After all was said and done, it was the only game they won that season............Go MOMS.
3 innings?! Little league games are 6 or 7 tops, if that, so he showed up halfway through the game and was MAD that you guys got the ball rolling?

That's exactly what I would have said. Would he rather the game be canceled on the account of a forfeit? What would those poor kids have done then?

Paladin said:
This guy was stressed that his T-ball team wouldn't win? Frickin' T-ball? Give me a break. I'd hate to see what this guy would do if it were a higher up division. He'd probably hire out Jeff Gillooly to take out a kid's knee.
I wonder why the boy wasn't in the Challenger League--its designed for hadicapped children, both phsyically & mentally, for exactly these reasons.

Paladin said:
3 innings?! Little league games are 6 or 7 tops, if that, so he showed up halfway through the game and was MAD that you guys got the ball rolling?

That's exactly what I would have said. Would he rather the game be canceled on the account of a forfeit? What would those poor kids have done then?
Yes, it was about halfway done. You should have seen those kids when we Moms had to make a decision. Those kids were having the time of their lives choosing for themselves. They all chose who they thought would be best at a position. No anger, no arguments, just sheer joy and enthusiasm. In my opinion that's the way these games should be, not some dictator know-it-all coach deciding for them. These boys were 11 and 12 years old and old enough to know who was good at what position. I also think that when a kid is comfortable at a position, he plays better.

Also, years before this, when my boys were much younger, we often went to a local rec center to play tennis. When I went over to the restroom one day, the coach of the football team playing there had the kids lined up against the wall. These were little boys. He was shouting at them and getting right in their faces and pushing at their shoulders. They evidently weren't playing as well as he wanted and he was acting as if he were some pro team's coach. I was so disgusted, I vowed my boys wouldn't be involved in anything like that. When they did play football, the nearby Catholic Church had a Flag Football League. We aren't Catholic, but they didn't care. It was for all the kids around. They had a ball there. At the end, they had a banquet for the boys and parents. Every kid went home with some kind of trophy. The church's bingo games sponsored the teams there. Now that was a great experience for the kids. They loved it and so did I.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I wonder why the boy wasn't in the Challenger League--its designed for hadicapped children, both phsyically & mentally, for exactly these reasons.
Prolly for the same reasons I did it. Main streaming them. They have to learn how to deal with all people, not just people like them.

My son played 2 games but did all the training of weeks in advance. They wanted all my money for whatever reasons then the other boys kept calling him retarded or worse. I went to the coach and he said you put him here, let him learn to live with it. That he didn't have time to play nursemaid.

That's all fine and good but I thought team sports were about being a team, good sportsmanship, learning to deal with shortcomings and overcoming them through hard work and coaching.

I guess I was wrong. It was the coaches boys doing it. None of my kids will ever be in any organized sporting group or program like girl scouts and the like for these reasons. Not only do many parents not teach their children simple compassion for their fellow beings, they set examples that being the loudest, rudest, smart *advertiser censored* is the way to get attention. Never mind my son had to work 3 times as hard to get to the point they were at and never, ever gave up. He was also never disappointed in himself. If they lost he just said, "I tried my best and I'll try harder next time."

I got refunded for the money for the parties and snacks etc for the year but was robbed in many other ways, mainly by not being able to give my child what he wanted, to be like other little boys in some way, even if it was just on a Sat once a week. How petty are some people huh?

Anyways, mini rant over lol Didn't tell the story for pity or anything, just want folks to be aware that 'labeling' children doesn't help them, neither does keeping them from any ideal of a normal life by placing them in 'special' groups for everything. That said, my son does compete in the special olympics, more for the fact that he gets to play and EVERYONE gets a trophy, because surviving is the worlds biggest test of strength, right?

As for the coach in this news, he's not much of a man or coach. I hope he's never in charge of teaching children anything ever again. He's a sick *advertiser censored* in my book.

I agree with Bhammama.

These children should not have to be put in some special group.
The rest should learn what teamship is.

Amraann said:
I agree with Bhammama.

These children should not have to be put in some special group.
The rest should learn what teamship is.
I agree with both you and Bhammama. The child on my daughter's team was several years older than that division, but she was placed there so her developmental level would be that of her team mates. She attends public high school this year and played in the 12 & under league last year. We've been fortunate the two times that she was on my daughter's team to have a compassionate team, who celebrated their vicotries and defeats as a team and not at the cost of an idividual. And I'm taking my pat on the back for my kids being part of that.

...my daughter was on a bowling team with a boy with Down's syndrome who was a phenominal bowler....They ended up winning first place in their league because of him....They were all bowling typical kiddie scores, and he was bowling really good adult-level scores. He was their hero! He always bowled in his lucky cowboy hat and bandanna. I cannot get scores anywhere near his; he bowled as well as all of the better adult bowlers...His bowling "form" was also very graceful; he moved much more like an adult than the typical kid bowler...

They all had him autograph their trophies because they realized that if it were not for him, they would NEVER have won ANYTHING...

I would be exceptionally concerned if my nephew, who has the IQ of a five year old, was playing regular sports with average children, if for no other reason than he can't/doesn't experience physical pain the same way they do. While he might scream like a siren if he scrapes his elbow, he'll walk around on a broken foot for days and never let on he's hurt. And although he's normally gentle natured, if something makes him mad he could become violent in a way that would--well, lets just say I've seen him pick up and throw things many times his own (considerable) weight. My sister didn't deem it wise to have him involved in a situation where the volunteer coaches have no training on how to deal with someone mentally and emotionally challenged. He's far happier with Challenger baseball, where everyone gets a trophy.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I would be exceptionally concerned if my nephew, who has the IQ of a five year old, was playing regular sports with average children, if for no other reason than he can't/doesn't experience physical pain the same way they do. While he might scream like a siren if he scrapes his elbow, he'll walk around on a broken foot for days and never let on he's hurt. And although he's normally gentle natured, if something makes him mad he could become violent in a way that would--well, lets just say I've seen him pick up and throw things many times his own (considerable) weight. My sister didn't deem it wise to have him involved in a situation where the volunteer coaches have no training on how to deal with someone mentally and emotionally challenged. He's far happier with Challenger baseball, where everyone gets a trophy.

BGG in that situation I would probably make the same choice.
Since each child is unique I think there cannot be a blanket statement saying that ALL disabled children should be on a special team or that all should be main streamed.
It really just depends on the child. In this case I firmly believe that the child would have done just fine if not for some overbearing mental midgid of a coach.
These are children!! THe goal of these games should be FUN not Win or be miserable.
Way to many parents take such things just a little to serious.
This is a game NOT the Major Leaques. I personally do not have my children in any sports like this... Mainly because the other parents get on my final nerve with their confused priorities.
I would have no problem telling some over bearing WIN WIN Parent to shut the hell up sooo it is best that I stay away.

MY one son is in Marching Band and the very first day of practice another mother felt the need to point out the the drum line was out of sync.
It was THEIR FIRST DAY!! ( Her daughter was a baton twirler)
Each and everyone of them are Freshman's so this was their first go around in Marching band and IT was a practice!
I could not even believe it. Just learning how to hold the drums while marching in formation takes a bit of practice..

I really did feel bad when her daughter the baton twirler TOTALLY flubbed her moves and was doing something completely different from the others.
Her mother looked mortified. I can only imagine the lecture the poor girl got.
I mean the mom deserved it after going up to people pointing out everyones flaws but I felt bad for the child who would be subjected to that women later.

paying kids to assault boy.

A youth baseball coach convicted of offering an 8-year-old money to bean an autistic teammate so he couldn't play was sentenced Thursday to one to six years in prison.

http://www.nbc4.tv/sports/10068922/detail.html

And I hope that he serves the full six years and every day of those six years is spent kicking himself in the *advertiser censored* for being so inhumane
:loser:

Something is truly wrong with this idiot! He should never be allowed around children again!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back