GUILTY PA - Cortney Fry, 19, Columbia, 20 July 2004

I live in the area where this has taken place, so I will try to give some local commentary here. Micah Stewart is in jail for underage drinking and assault on a police officer. In the past, he was also involved with domestic abuse of Courtney shortly before her disappearance/death. The judge who has this case refused to lower his bail from $30,000 to something his family can manage because of his status as a flight risk. Immediately after Courtney disappeared, he fled to Delaware rather than answer police questions. It was a long drawn out process (as reported in the papers, I was not involved) to get him back here to answer anything about her. I believe that the police are taking their time in building their case while he is in jail on the other charges. It's quite a coincidence that he threatens to kill her and a short time later, she has disappeared.
As for custody of the baby, she has been with Micah's sister since Courtney disappeared. I'm not quite sure why. Now Courtney's mother is fighting for custody, in part because Micah gave his sister a gun to dispose of around the time of Courtney's disappearance. She never reported it to the police, and did in fact dispose of it.
I'm sorry if any of this is repeat knowledge. This case is well played out in the papers here, so I've been hearing a lot there, and friends of mine knew Courtney so I hear things from them as well.

Limon10 said:
BUMP for Cortney:angel:

Nothing much new to report from here. Micah Stewart is back in jail after an altercation and shooting (involving juveniles) in Columbia, PA. (where he lives and where Cortney also lived) The general feeling in this area is that the police are going to get him for something, even if it isn't Cortney's murder. Micah is certainly giving them enough to work with at this point. His sister still has custody of Giavanni and is attempting to adopt her, something that Cortney's Mom is fighting. I haven't heard an update on that. Unfortunately, Cortney's murder remains unsolved at this point.

SoccerMom said:
Nothing much new to report from here. Micah Stewart is back in jail after an altercation and shooting (involving juveniles) in Columbia, PA. (where he lives and where Cortney also lived) The general feeling in this area is that the police are going to get him for something, even if it isn't Cortney's murder. Micah is certainly giving them enough to work with at this point. His sister still has custody of Giavanni and is attempting to adopt her, something that Cortney's Mom is fighting. I haven't heard an update on that. Unfortunately, Cortney's murder remains unsolved at this point.

It is unbelievable that the boyfriend hasn't been arrested. What about the gun? Did the sister tell the police that she disposed of it and where she put it?
Had Courtney been shot? The boyfriend sure has a history of violence and it is obvious that he murdered Courtney. He left the apt. and returned 45 mins later and she was gone but left the baby.....you bet! Sounds like Scott Peterson doesn't it. He takes off to avoid the police. If he was innocent he would have gladly answered every question that the police had. Probably declined taking a lie detector test too.

I really feel for this family having to fight for the baby. Why should the sister have the baby? If the dad doesn't want her then Courtney's mom should be able to raise her. I hope Courtney's family end up with the little girl. What a sad story. It's just a shame that Courtney went back to that boyfriend.
I hope and pray that the creep is arrested soon. I guess the LE can know that he murdered Courtney but they have to be able to prove it in court.

Thank you so much for posting the story, four boys. I followed this case for quite some time and lost touch with it.

Hopefully Cortney can rest in peace now, and shine down over her child who now has no mother to offer her guidance through her life in a spiritual way
:(

I can't believe that !!
Threw her out the window? Burned her?
He's an awful human being who doesn't deserve to be here!

How horrible.... I didn't know she had been found until just reading this thread.... I recognize her picture from a missing person alert. Such a beautiful young woman.... I don't understand how he could just take the life of the mother of his child, and in such a brutal way.... :(

Does anyone know if the custody battle over little Gia was ever settled?

From February 2007:

http://lancasteronline.com/news/i-h...cle_a257ef47-e34e-517f-928b-5d8dc1281949.html

Stewart today was sentenced to life in prison for murdering his 19-year-old girlfriend. Prosecutors said he drove a screwdriver into Fry's skull in a jealous rage, then tried to burn her body in a Manor Township field...

Judge Michael Georgelis told Stewart he was bound by law to issue a sentence ensuring that Stewart spend the rest of his life in prison, with no chance of parole, after his first-degree murder conviction...

The days after the birth were filled with rising tension, arguments and beatings because Stewart believed Fry was cheating on him and that he was not the baby's father, according to testimony at the trial. The couple fought, the police were summoned and Stewart insisted the baby undergo DNA tests, which later proved he was the father.

The man arrested in Ohio was Eric M Warfel, not Eric G Warfel. don't think this is the same person.

Micah Stewart, serving life for 2004 screwdriver murder of Cortney Fry, loses appeal
February 3, 2016

A federal judge has denied the appeal of an inmate serving life for the 2004 murder of his 19-year-old girlfriend whose skull was pierced by a screwdriver.

In his appeal, Micah Stewart, 30, claimed his trial lawyers were ineffective because they failed to tell the jury he attacked Cortney Fry while he was high on crack cocaine and marijuana.

A highly intoxicated person may be incapable of forming the specific intent to kill needed for first-degree murder.

The federal judge in Philadelphia wrote there was no testimony at trial to support Stewart's claim.

The district attorney's office said Stewart has exhausted appeals at the state level.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...cle_18236064-c8fa-11e5-bbf0-fb7be57ab2c4.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back