GUILTY PA - Daniel, 6, & Luke Schlemmer, 3, drowned in bathtub, McCandless, 1 April 2014

Why was she allowed unsupervised access to children she had already tried to murder and had horribly injured. WTF! They just went home and she wasn't even required to be monitored by a psych? Whoever handled the murder attempts and her husband bear a lot of fault in this. Bloody hell.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Woman Accused Of Drowning Kids Asks Crowd To Pray For Her

"PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – When Laurel Schlemmer walked into the courtroom Friday, she whispered to some folks in the crowd “pray for me.”

Both the defense and prosecution each brought in their own experts, two psychiatrists who spoke about Laurel Schlemmer’s mental health issues. While they agree on several things, what they don’t agree on is whether or not Schlemmer had a diminished mental capacity when she formed the intent to kill her children.

“I’ve seen individuals kill their children but I can’t say I’ve seen it like this,” psychiatrist Dr. Bruce Wright said...

Judge Jeffrey Manning will announce the verdict Thursday at 11 a.m.

During closing arguments, the prosecution stated they would like to see Schlemmer convicted of two counts of Homicide while the defense is trying to avoid a first-degree murder conviction and convince the judge she didn’t have the mental capacity to form the intent to kill."

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017...b-drowning-suspect-knew-she-was-killing-kids/

Psychiatrists testify in McCandless woman's drowning trial

"Psychiatrists from both sides agree that Laurel Michelle Schlemmer knew what she was doing was wrong when she drowned two of her sons in their McCandless bathtub three years ago...

Dr. Wettstein testified Friday about Ms. Schlemmer’s medical history, including three miscarriages, and noted that her husband didn’t believe in birth control. Over the years, he continued, she had been treated with psychologists and a social worker before the boys’ deaths, but never with a psychiatrist. Ms. Schlemmer told him her husband didn’t believe in psychotropic medications...

Dr. Wright, who testified for the prosecution, said the actions Ms. Schlemmer took in the 2013 incident and in the drowning required specific planning.

“It’s my opinion she had the capacity to complete premeditated and very deliberate acts,” Dr. Wright said. “These were acts that were motivated by a deliberate, conscious, premeditated thought....

“She lied to cover it up.”

During closing arguments Friday afternoon, Mr. Machen said his client is conceding criminal liability.

“She does not contest the facts,” Mr. Machen said.

“Recognizing,” the judge interrupted, “that the facts are largely uncontestable?”

“Yes, your honor,” Mr. Machen continued...

“I agree with the experts who say that the incident in the car was a cry for help, and that it was a systematic failure of the defendant’s father, family, church and CYF to protect these children,” Ms. Pellegrini said.

But, the judge interrupted, “The bottom line is, a mother is supposed to protect her children.”

“The guilt for the deaths of Luke and Daniel lies solely with the defendant,” the prosecutor said in agreement."

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/n...al-pittsburgh-mccandless/stories/201703100180

A source told Pittsburgh's Action News 4 that Schlemmer was previously investigated by the Northern Regional Police Department for attempting to back over one of her children, but she was never charged.

In 2009, she was found guilty of leaving a child unattended in her vehicle.
Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/kids-found-unresponsive-in-mccandless/25265730#ixzz2xgnsJwNq

The updated article (at the same link) states that in April 2013, Schlemmer was investigated for attempting to back over two of her children at her parents' home in Marshall Township.
[The article does not name the two children.]

From the same article:
In 2009, Police gave Schlemmer a traffic citation for leaving one of her children unattended in a van in the parking lot of Ross Park Mall. The temperature reached 112 degrees inside the vehicle.
[This child would have been Daniel, I guess.]

After they were called to her home, Schlemmer reportedly told police that she tried to drown Daniel and Luke because she thought she would be a better mother to her third child if they were out of the way; also, she said that they were better off in heaven.

The third child is her oldest of the three boys. He was a year older than Daniel (age 7, at time of the drownings).
So, it appears to me, that she favored the oldest child over the other two.

More at this link:
http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/5875765-74/hendley-schlemmer-church#axzz2y83iSnEQ

This inhuman creature is a Casey Anthony type trying to masquerade as Andrea Yates.
IMO she is miserably failing at giving the performance of her lifetime; auditioning for the lead part of one Andrea Yates (w/ the hope that the main auditioner, the judge, buys into her (shoddy) performance.

I agree 100%, LL724! It seems that here we have yet another sociopath.

This woman has been able to get out of almost every heinous act she has committed. Moreover, her husband, neighbors, church people, hospital personnel, social workers, and even LE, have all bought into her claims of "accidentally" running over 3 times her two younger boys that she has proclaimed, at various times: (1) were mentally deficient (in other words, seemed not to be as intellectually bright as the oldest son -- IMO -- and needed to be done away with); (2) were standing in the way of her being a better mother to the oldest son, and she needed to get rid of them; and (3) they were better off in heaven.

She gave differing accounts of how she drowned her 2 younger sons, and no account of doing them bodily harm (blunt force trauma) before she sat on top of them in the bathtub, or filled the tub full of water and held them down, or went to use the master bathroom for 10 minutes, leaving them in the tub and they were unresponsive when she returned.

She told her husband that she tied up the boys "with twine" (sounds so harmless, doesn't it?), but he didn't recall her telling him that she ran over them repeatedly. WTH does THAT mean? He'd be willing to give her a pass because she only ran over them 1 time?

Or, does he still wonder how they became seriously injured and spent time in the hospital recovering after the "accidental running over" by his wife. (Scratching his head: "Gee, I didn't think tying them up with string could cause all those injuries. They must bruise easily." [this is my sarcasm -- not his words!])

And, finally, the husband's testimony, as he responded to questioning by the Assistant Prosecutor: "Did you send her to a Psychiatrist? Husband: No.
Instead, Ms. Schlemmer was treated by a family physician. She was prescribed medication — Celexa(an antidepressant), her husband thought — but he told detectives she sometimes didn’t take it.

At one point during his interview with investigators, Mr. Schlemmer told them he didn’t really believe in medicine, but believed in faith.

During his testimony on Thursday, he said he was “open to medicine to treat illnesses,” but also had concerns about side effects.:

Well, what about the side effects of not taking medication: attempting to murder your children and then finally succeeding!

I don't think she needs medication. She will be able to use the "guilty but nuts" defense, because there is a psych report stating that she has mental issues. That's hard to overcome -- discounting a psychiatrist's opinion. So, she'll be put away into a booby hatch, more palatable than prison, if you have to do time somewhere. And, when you are released, society will be much more accepting of a mentally ill person with "Andrea Yates Syndrome," than a cold-blooded, sociopathic murderer.

The judge in Laurel Michelle Schlemmer's case will render his/her verdict today.

McCandless mom accused of drowning children in tub declared guilty of third-degree murder but mentally ill

http://www.wtae.com/article/mccandless-mom-accused-of-drowning-children-in-tub-declared-guilty-of-third-degree-murder-but-mentally-ill/9141879

Laurel Schlemmer, of McCandless, who drowned her 3-year-old and 6-year-old sons in a bathtub of their home in April 2014, has been found guilty of third-degree murder but mentally ill. Allegheny County Common Pleas Judge Jeffery Manning announced his verdict in the non-jury trial Thursday, after hearing three days of testimony and argument last week.

"It is my fervent hope that in the future, mental health treatment will bring you, Ms. Schlemmer, to the shocking realization of what you have done so that you will continue to be punished far beyond any sentence this court might impose," Manning told her from the court bench.

"It was clear to us that she knew what she was doing. She was deliberate in the process that she put into place that ultimately led to these two children's lives being taken. But at the same time, clearly she's ill, and she needs treatment," said District Attorney Stephen Zappala earlier Thursday, before the verdict was handed down. "We had always pursued something that was guilty but mentally ill, to make sure that she would be treated."

"Based firmly upon the evidence presented, the Court finds that the defendant established by a preponderance of the evidence that she was mentally ill at the time of the commission of the crimes and that a specific intent to kill was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt of the diminished capacity of the defendant to form such intent," the judge wrote.

Under the law, Laurel Schlemmer could face a maximum of 20 to 40 years in prison for each killing. Her sentencing hearing is set for June 8. In the meantime, she will remain in the Allegheny County Jail.

McCandless mom accused of drowning children in tub declared guilty of third-degree murder but mentally ill

"It is my fervent hope that in the future, mental health treatment will bring you, Ms. Schlemmer, to the shocking realization of what you have done so that you will continue to be punished far beyond any sentence this court might impose," Manning told her from the court bench.

http://www.wtae.com/article/mccandless-mom-accused-of-drowning-children-in-tub-declared-guilty-of-third-degree-murder-but-mentally-ill/9141879

[BBM]

"You've got two dead children. and you've got issues with the father, too***. You know, I respect somebody's moral and religious beliefs. He's got to live with the fact that maybe something could have been done to protect those children a little bit better," [District Attorney] Zappala said.

***The father (defendant's husband), Mark Schlemmer, had defied a judge's order that the sole surviving child not have any contact with his mother. He was bringing the child to the jail to visit his mother while she was awaiting trial.

[IMO}From his statement to the defendant, it's quite obvious that the Judge's ruling is guilty [period]. Mental illness is not a bar to accountability and punishment. [This is my take on it!]

Sentencing will be on Thurs., June 8, 2017.

Just :bump: this thread....

Sentencing Thursday, June 8th - coming up this week! Hoping for :jail:

:judge:

See you then!

:rose: JUSTICE for DANIEL & LUKE!! :rose:

Psychiatrists testify in McCandless woman's drowning trial

"Psychiatrists from both sides agree that Laurel Michelle Schlemmer knew what she was doing was wrong when she drowned two of her sons in their McCandless bathtub three years ago...

Dr. Wettstein testified Friday about Ms. Schlemmer’s medical history, including three miscarriages, and noted that her husband didn’t believe in birth control. Over the years, he continued, she had been treated with psychologists and a social worker before the boys’ deaths, but never with a psychiatrist. Ms. Schlemmer told him her husband didn’t believe in psychotropic medications...

Dr. Wright, who testified for the prosecution, said the actions Ms. Schlemmer took in the 2013 incident and in the drowning required specific planning.

“It’s my opinion she had the capacity to complete premeditated and very deliberate acts,” Dr. Wright said. “These were acts that were motivated by a deliberate, conscious, premeditated thought....

“She lied to cover it up.”

During closing arguments Friday afternoon, Mr. Machen said his client is conceding criminal liability.

“She does not contest the facts,” Mr. Machen said.

“Recognizing,” the judge interrupted, “that the facts are largely uncontestable?”

“Yes, your honor,” Mr. Machen continued...

“I agree with the experts who say that the incident in the car was a cry for help, and that it was a systematic failure of the defendant’s father, family, church and CYF to protect these children,” Ms. Pellegrini said.

But, the judge interrupted, “The bottom line is, a mother is supposed to protect her children.”

“The guilt for the deaths of Luke and Daniel lies solely with the defendant,” the prosecutor said in agreement."

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/n...al-pittsburgh-mccandless/stories/201703100180

The Judge in this case is not buying the mentally ill defense for this mother who finally prevailed in killing her 2 boys. Thank you for this, YESorNO! I think the husband should be on trial as well.

So - no sentencing today?? Can't find anything on this!

Anyone??

TIA!

:bump: ing up for sentencing tomorrow...

:judge: :jail:

RIP Daniel & Luke! :rose:

I tried that link you posted above JusticeWillBeServed - and it says "Page can't be displayed" - :gaah:

Just trying to find out "what time" this will be happening today!

TIA! :wave:

I tried that link you posted above JusticeWillBeServed - and it says "Page can't be displayed" - :gaah:

Just trying to find out "what time" this will be happening today!

TIA! :wave:

I was able to open it and it said 08:30AM EST, but I haven't seen any news on it.

the hearings are being delayed because she wont take her meds (speculation)

these kids never had a chance because "nice church going white ladies don't do this" smh makes me rage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back