PA - Gretchen Harrington, 8, found murdered, Marple Twp, 15 Aug 1975 *arrest in 2023*

The issue there is without actual case info theres absolutely no way to link cases, it would all be speculative unless theres something obvious.
The anonymous letter that Marple police recieved in 1983, which I have seen, asked police to look at a "Mr Keers" from either broomall or newtown square, and later in Uwchlan according to said letter...the spelling and syntax in the letter was poor, so for all i know maybe they meant "kearns" not keers, or maybe they meant kiers not keers, who knows

"David Zandstra is a monster. He is every parents' worst nightmare," said Stollsteimer on Monday. "He killed that poor girl."

According to court documents, Zandstra was charged with homicide, murder, kidnapping a minor and related offenses.

Harrington disappeared on Aug. 15, 1975, sometime on a walk from her Marple Township home to a Bible school less than a mile away.

Stollsteimer said that, at that time, Zandstra served as a reverend at Trinity Christian Reformed Church, one of two churches that Harrington regularly attended. As she headed to Bible camp alone, Zandstra pulled alongside her in a vehicle and offered her a ride, Stollsteimer said.

He said that, in a statement that Zandstra has allegedly given to police, he admitted that he took her to a secluded place, told her to removed her clothes then, when she refused, he ejaculated in front of her before he beat her to death with his fists.
*omg, that was so hard to read. sad faces for all…
sry but I hate this guy

Last edited:
"David Zandstra is a monster. He is every parents' worst nightmare," said Stollsteimer on Monday. "He killed that poor girl."

According to court documents, Zandstra was charged with homicide, murder, kidnapping a minor and related offenses.

Harrington disappeared on Aug. 15, 1975, sometime on a walk from her Marple Township home to a Bible school less than a mile away.

Stollsteimer said that, at that time, Zandstra served as a reverend at Trinity Christian Reformed Church, one of two churches that Harrington regularly attended. As she headed to Bible camp alone, Zandstra pulled alongside her in a vehicle and offered her a ride, Stollsteimer said.

He said that, in a statement that Zandstra has allegedly given to police, he admitted that he took her to a secluded place, told her to removed her clothes then, when she refused, he ejaculated in front of her before he beat her to death with his fists.
sry but I hate this man
Wow how the heck can someone do that 2 a kid just saying I know we have people out there but let the kids be if anything in cases like this

It would be i

sry but I hate this guy
It would be interesting to know specifics on how the book authors contributed to identifying suspect.

This is sad on what is saying he did this part here

Police honed in on Zandstra as a suspect in January, when investigators interviewed an unnamed witness who was best friends with his daughter when Gretchen disappeared, according to a criminal complaint. The witness said that she often went to sleepovers at Zandstra’s home, and during one about a week before Gretchen’s disappearance, Zandstra molested her. When the witness told Zandstra’s daughter what had happened, she told her friend that Zandstra “does that sometimes,” the complaint said.

Zandstra was arrested on July 17 on murder charges. Investigators have taken DNA samples so they can compare them to other open cases across the country.

Investigators said at one point, Zandstra lived in Plano, Texas. Anyone who may know anything else about his activities or believe they may be a victim is asked to call the Pennsylvania State Police.

Just heard about this horrible case. Great job that the investigators did here - it only took 48 years for them to catch this guy. Pathetic. And, this wasn't a case of a stranger/drifter passing through town, committing this crime, and skipping town. Conversely, it sounds like DZ was on people's radar back then as a P.O.I. He definitely sounds like he should have been a viable suspect back in 1975. They probably gave him a pass because of his appearance & profession.

As it stands, he was able to live free & clear for years after committing this horrific crime. There's no justice in this world - but we all already knew that.

Just heard about this horrible case. Great job that the investigators did here - it only took 48 years for them to catch this guy. Pathetic. And, this wasn't a case of a stranger/drifter passing through town, committing this crime, and skipping town. Conversely, it sounds like DZ was on people's radar back then as a P.O.I. He definitely sounds like he should have been a viable suspect back in 1975. They probably gave him a pass because of his appearance & profession.

As it stands, he was able to live free & clear for years after committing this horrific crime. There's no justice in this world - but we all already knew that.
Agreed

sry but I hate this guy
So glad that the 2 authors chose to write about this case, and that LE took their crack in the case and ran with it. Just delayed, but not denied.

Statement from Gretchen's family:

"With today's announcement of an arrest, we are extremely hopeful that the person who is responsible for the heinous crime that was committed against our Gretchen will be held accountable. It’s difficult to express the emotions that we are feeling as we take one step closer to justice. Gretchen was only 8 years-old when she was suddenly taken away from us on her way to church on Friday, August 15, 1975. If you met Gretchen, you were instantly her friend. She exuded kindness to all and was sweet and gentle. Even now, when people share their memories of her, the first thing they talk about is how amazing she was and still is...at just 8 years old, she had a lifelong impact on those around her.  The abduction and murder of Gretchen has forever altered our family and we miss her every single day. We are grateful for the continual pursuit of justice by law enforcement and we want to thank the Pennsylvania State Police for never stopping in their constant search for answers. We would not be here today if it was not for them. As a family we ask for privacy at this time as we continue to digest this information. Thank you for your understanding, love, and continued support. It means the world to us.” – The Harrington Family

It is a shame Zandsta got away with it for 50 years. These guys are so sinister how they lie and pretend they are family friends. That part always makes me sick, that level of evil.

I hope he doesn’t believe that by unburdening himself and confessing his sins about what he did to Gretchen 48 years later he can pass in peace at the end of his life. He deserves to die in prison and go to where he deserves to go afterwards. He is evil, he has had nearly 50 years of freedom that he shouldn’t have had and he doesn’t deserve forgiveness. It is outrageous he had the audacity to support Gretchen‘s family after her murder pretending to be a pastor, a man of God, and a pillar of the community when he is the one responsible for their suffering. People trusted him for years and he abused their trust in the worst possible way.

My thoughts and prayers are with Gretchen’s family and with the victim who he SA’d. Unfortunately it is unlikely that there are not other victims who he has SA’d but hopefully now he has been revealed as the perpetrator of Gretchen‘s murder and an offender who has harmed children, other victims will feel able to come forward. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to talk about a traumatic event like this happening to you as a child and all the victims who do are incredibly brave.

Hard to believe that, given folks knew he molested children back in 1975, no one put two and two together. Was he ever interviewed? I guess back then people gave priests etc. a pass, believing that being a man of god meant they were incapable of such acts. I mean if they had developed a suspect list, wouldn't this guy have been on it somewhere? And and interview of his daughter would have likely turned up the information about his activities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back