GUILTY PA - Jarrod Tutko, 9, disabled, starved to death, Harrisburg, 29 July 2014

I would be wanting more info on how the bad bout of the flu caused the one daughter's deafness. Did she not received proper or timely care which caused the flu to be so bad it then caused deafness? And the severely disabled daughter and the febrile seizure, same question? What caused the seizure? Was a fever not timely or adequately addressed?

no snark, just serious questions.

I agree. Having that happen twice in one family--well, it's possible, it does happen, but...

Influenza is no joke; I've had to go to the emergency room for it once, unable to breathe properly, and since then have gotten yearly flu shots. If the influenza caused a middle ear infection and the ear infection went untreated, it could certainly damage someone's hearing.

But twice in one family is odd, especially since febrile seizures are usually harmless. I had one myself when I was two--my mom was pretty much freaking out, but she got me to the hospital and they got my fever down, no problem. The only way febrile seizures can hurt is if they go on and on and damage the brain, which happens either because the fever can't be brought down or because the child doesn't get medical care.

It does match up with their willingly rejecting nursing care they were receiving.

But I don't know. I'm not a doctor; it could really just be bad luck.

I'm a lot more sympathic after reading that article.

I can not even imagine their lives.

Why? I'm serious here: Why are you sympathetic, when they deliberately rejected help when they got it?

Sympathetic to the children, yes, absolutely. Perhaps even the mother, who may very well have been trapped, isolated, and intimidated by an abusive husband. But Jarrod Jr.'s father? No sympathy. None. At. All.

I call BS on that!

That's is absolutely heartbreaking.

From the link
Kimberly Tutko on Sunday said she had not seen little Jarrod since 2010, when she decided it was best for her to avoid contact with him and any potential bacteria that could spell a lethal sentence to Arianna, who was kept alive by several tubes, one of them inserted into an opening in her abdomen.

what troubles me about this situation of mom allegedly not seeing Jarrod, Jr. for literally years is that the excuse given is concerns about bacteria and possibly contaiminating the severely disabled daughter via the gastric feeding tube.

On the surface is seems a reasonable concern what with Jarrod and the feces smearing issue.

But consider this. The father was solely responsible for that child and the cleanup of the feces. She laid down at night with that person and created several more children which involved close contact with the primary caregiver of the child she avoided like the plague due to bacteria concerns?

This whole story is just very very sad and poor son A, roaming the neighborhood like a forlorn unfed pup seeking someone to acknowledge him . . . Heartbreaking.

I think that was probably something he convinced her of, to keep Jarrod Jr. even further isolated, and to stigmatize him as a "filthy child".

The feeding tube stoma probably healed long ago. Simple precautions could keep Arianna safe--hand-washing and sterile supplies. There would be no need for the mother to stay physically and constantly separated from Jarrod Jr., just to wash her hands in between one child and the other. If she was really paranoid she could have changed her clothes too, or interacted with Jarrod just before she took her normal daily shower. Separation from his own mother was not necessary.

exactly. An excuse to explain the lack of oversight or basic seeming awareness of her child on the 3rd floor.

I just cannot give this mom a bye on this. Even if she was abused/controlled by her husband. I am just stuck there.

Jarrod probably spent at least the last four years of his life in that room--since he was four years old. Many autistic or Fragile X children aren't potty trained until they're four or five, or even older, and most go on to become much more independent. Shutting him up in that room at the age of four years... How much he must have missed out on. It's almost like he was forced to stay four years old. There's no knowing how far he could have gone if he had just been allowed to have normal childhood experiences. How many of Jarrod's problems were directly caused by his parents' neglect?

PA - Jarrod Nicholas Tutko, Sr., re: Death of Jarrod Jr., Dauphin County.

Day 7

Mon. Aug 4th: http://local21news.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/more-into-death-8yearold-10899.shtml:

"The couple’s five other children have been placed in protective custody."

Historically, Coroners / Medical Examiners / Forensic Pathologists may order
additional Primary / Advanced Toxicology Tests.

Currently Incarcerated In Lieu Of $500,000 Bail:

Magisterial District Court Hearing Tue., Aug. 12th:
https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/docketsheets/MDJReport.ashx?docketNumber=MJ-12102-CR-0000294-2014:

18 § 4304 §§ A1 -- F3 :: Endangering Welfare of Children -
Parent/Guardian/Other Commits Offense
18 § 4303 §§ A -- M1 :: Conceal Death of Child
18 § 5510 -- M2 :: Abuse Of Corpse

Grades of PA Crimes:
H = Heinous
F1 = Felony of 1st Degree; F2; F3
M1 = Misdemeanor of 1st Degree; M2; M3
S = Summary

Historically, Most PA Charges Like These Have Been Advanced From Lower
Magisterial Justice Courts, to County Courts Of Common Pleas.

Similar to a very recent, nearby Lancaster County, PA case:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ster-County-23-Jul-14&p=10809366#post10809366

Our Concern For Son Jarrod's Remaining Siblings.

richrd, the link to similar WS case in Lancaster PA is not working could you fix the link or provide the victim name so I can go check out that thread? Thanks.

Why? I'm serious here: Why are you sympathetic, when they deliberately rejected help when they got it?

Sympathetic to the children, yes, absolutely. Perhaps even the mother, who may very well have been trapped, isolated, and intimidated by an abusive husband. But Jarrod Jr.'s father? No sympathy. None. At. All.

I'm sympathetic for a number or reasons. I'll try my best to explain.
I try to imagine myself in her shoes, and her husbands.
I imagine it very difficult to fully bond to a child that smears feces, especially when her plate was already so full.
I've had incredibly little experience with feces smearers and the little I did have, I refused to tolerate. ( as a former foster parent )
Medically fragile, severely developmentally disabled, terminal, just is not in my wheelhouse.
But I'd take the worst behavioral teenagers you can imagine straight out of detention or last change before it ...all say long back then.
I can't imagine having to scrub floors, walls and everything else that's covered in feces, everyday...not to mention the child ....I can't begin to imagine.
I've personally known of a few situations where visiting nurses were disastrous...my parents dealt with three, when my grandmother moved in, all bad experiences that required firing. thieves, sleeping on the job, falsifying times, no shows, rough and abusive... they gave up and cared for her themselves.

I believe it's shocking, sad and a damn shame what happened to that poor little boy.

Imaging myself in their shoes, I think I would actually start fantasizing smothering that poor child daily....and fantasizing dropping him off at some hospital and never looking back. Just being brutally honest.
I'd love to think I would rise to the occasion, my biggest fear...I wouldn't. That scares me.

I wouldn't keep a rabid animal in those conditions. That I know for certain.

IMO

I appreciate your honesty LindaNJ. You are nothing if not that.

I tend to feel that you are getting a picture of a feral child running loose in that room ripping up carpeting and smearing feces on everything 24/7. And that may have been the reality. Where I am stuck is WHY was that the reality?

I have been doing some reading on fragile X children and while they can exhibit severe autism, those patients can be helped, through intervention, education, therapy, medication and most of all lots of work WITH the child to alter those behaviors such as the fecal smearing, etc.

As with any child on the autistic spectrum, there are many many resources that this family apparently opted NOT to avail themselves of which could have meant Jarrod being potty trained or in the alternative Jarrod learning to modify his behavior and not play in his feces,

Most children with Fragile X, including those with severe mental retardation, are guaranteed free, appropriate public education under federal law. Public Law 105-17: The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act-IDEA (1997) makes it possible for children with disabilities to get free educational services and educational devices to help them learn as much as they can. Each child is entitled to these services from age three through high school, or until age 21, whichever comes first. Also, every state operates an early intervention program for children from birth to age three; children with Fragile X should qualify for these services. The law also states that children must be taught in the least restrictive environment, appropriate for that individual child. This statement does not mean that each child will be placed in a regular classroom, but instead, that the best combination of one-to-one tutoring, small group work, and regular classroom work will be arranged.

SNIP

A child with Fragile X should be evaluated and re-evaluated on a regular basis by his or her special services team. In this way, the team can determine how the child is doing and whether any changes are needed in his or her treatment (for instance, changes to the IEP, changes in classroom placement, or changes in other services) to ensure the child is getting the best possible care.

http://www.medicinenet.com/fragile_x_syndrome/page12.htm#educational_options

Speech, occupational, physical, and behavioral therapy all were available to this child via the school system by law IMO. So while I see your point and your horror at this story is mine as well, the sympathy I am having a harder time with.

I strongly feel that Jarrod was as unmanageable through these parents own fault by consciously deciding to lock him up in that room and write him off simply hosing down the child and the room when the smells became too much. And that in my opinion was a choice made by both parents. And now this boy is dead, after being a prisoner in his own illness and filth for years. It did not have to be that way. I notice one article, the one where mom let reporters in to film the interior, mentions that mom had her computer set up in the parents bedroom so she could play on it while keeping an "eye" on her daughter with severe disabilities across the hall.

How nice for her. Too bad she found herself too busy to set eyes on her also severely disabled son just one flight of stairs and a locked door away.

I agree, I would not keep a rabid animal in those conditions but what prevents my sympathy from kicking in is that these parents CHOOSE to put their son, the husband's namesake, in there for four years rather than help him or allow others to. And teh help was out there and was free in most instances via the school system.

This boy never had a chance. Potty training time came and mobility and they simply locked him away rather than do what was needed for him. MOO, they sacrificed him so mom could assuage her own guilt and care for her daughter. I think there are layers and layers or neglect covered over by guilt in this case.

He really does remind me of those stories of feral children. I've read about modern feral children, those who were isolated like Jarrod--usually in an empty room, just locked away, seeing someone only when they were fed. Some were abandoned outdoors and managed to survive, but the ones that were indoors, were usually locked away. When they were found in their filthy, empty rooms, these children were non-verbal, engaging in repetitive behavior, couldn't use a toilet and wouldn't wear clothing; though rehabilitated, they suffered life-long effects.

As far as we can tell, these feral children were either normal, or at most mildly disabled, to begin with. Jarrod started out with even more disadvantages than Dani or Genie--he had Fragile X and associated autistic traits. Imagine treating a disabled child as badly as those feral children were treated--because that is what happened to little Jarrod. And if it affects a normal child so profoundly, how much worse it must have been for a child who started out with a disability.

I'm stuck on the mother not seeing Jarrod Jr for long periods. I get that she was totally overwhelmed but not to at least check on him at least once a day?

It's obvious that with the different diagnoses the children must have seen doctors. How could the doctors not know what they were dealing with and refer them to at least a social worker for assistance?

I am wondering if the mom has physical (and possibly mental) disabilities..

perhaps she is confined to a wheelchair?

maybe paralyzed in some fashion?

This would impede her going upstairs to see her son (now deceased)...

Otherwise... I am astounded she hadn't seen the boy in years! (If I read this correctly...)

I spent all day obsessing over this story yesterday. I worked a couple of summers in my youth at a camp for the disabled. I learned how terribly challenging it is to care for the needs of severely disabled kids. While I can sympathize with the parents' situation, I just cannot forgive what happened to that poor child. The pics are overwhelming. That's allota poo.

Does anyone know if either parent works outside of the home? If I understand correctly, mom takes care of the vegetative daughter, and dad takes care of jr. I can't justify mom not knowing the child was dead for that long. Was it normal routine for her to not at least visit the s$&;hole on the third floor where he was held captive (moo)? So many questions. I don't think I can even express my thoughts clearly.

RIP Jarrod. I'm positive you're in a better place. Your past life was nothing more than a living hell.

I'm astounded that mom would reveal their 3rd floor hellhole to the media.

I'm going on the assumption mom and dad have low iq's and coping skills (not trying to be mean). Relinquishing their rights was always an option. I'm also guessing they chose not to take advantage of available services.

Damn. Sorry, I'm all over the place in this post.

mom was interviewed and allowed cameras into the home to film and photograph. While she declined allowing her face to be shown on camera, she spoke without stutter, stammer, or obvious defect and she is shown walking around the home with ease. My impression of her was not one who pursued higher education but not stupid or slow.

As to her mental health, that I don't have a clue about - we have only the little 12yr old skinny child's friend from down the block who had never seen the mom and who thought there was none at home assuming for some reason she was in the mental hospital.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/08/kimberly_totku_jarrod_totku_re.html

For a mother in the midst of one of the most horrifying things a mother can experience — the death of a child, not to mention the removal from her care of her other five children — Kimberly Tutko was remarkably composed.

Not once during the interview did her voice falter or quiver; not once did she shed a tear as she recounted what had transpired beginning on Friday when her husband brought her the decomposing body of their son. She spoke with a direct, matter-of-fact and unemotional tone when she talked about the challenges of caring for her six children, all but one having special needs, two of them profoundly handicapped.

She might as well have been telling me that her washing machine was on the fritz.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back