GUILTY PA - Jonathan 'Jonnie' Moyer, 17, Brownstown, 19 March 2003

SoccerMom said:
That might be because you were reading the Philadelphia newspapers. The Lancaster newspapers have been full of this story. It's been front page news here since the story broke. They had an obituary for him in the newspaper soon after he was found, and it was so sad. I don't know why his parent(s?)/Dad didn't look for him, but according to the articles I've read in the Lancaster New Era and Intelligencer Journal, (www.lancasteronline.com)
he had friends who were concerned and looking. However, no one ever filed a missing persons report, so who knows.
I just wanted to let you know that people here haven't forgotten about him. We're disgusted by this. :(
I'm so glad that you guys are remembering him! What I meant by not finding any news on this is that it's not on television, it's not in the big newspapers, and there's virtually nothing online about him. But I am glad that at least locally, Jonnie is being remembered by family, friends, and community. He deserves that.

SoccerMom said:
Sorry for all the posts on this today, but since I live here I can answer these. It's NOT a strange place. It's just a normal community that happens to have some strange crimes many years apart. The Laurie Show murder was in 91, I believe, and the girl/woman who killed her is STILL fighting to get out of prison. There is absolutely no evidence to back up her claims of sexual abuse by officers (especially since the main officer she accused was in Virginia on his honeymoon at the time and presented proof in court) and she's just grasping at straws.
There are still some unsolved cases here, such as the death of Christy Mirack, a teacher who was raped and killed in her home around the time that Laurie died. But it's not unsolved for lack of trying. And it isn't a high crime area where people are afraid to walk out of their homes.
Lancaster County is much more than Amish, Mennonite, and two cases of murder.
Thank you for the insight into your community. It's very hard being from outside of the area to get the true feel of what it's really like to live there. And as you probably know, all we get to see are the things that make Lancaster unique, (which also tend to appear as odd to outsiders). So again, thank you for your personal insight! It's very appreciated. :)

JerseyGirl said:
Thank you for the insight into your community. It's very hard being from outside of the area to get the true feel of what it's really like to live there. And as you probably know, all we get to see are the things that make Lancaster unique, (which also tend to appear as odd to outsiders). So again, thank you for your personal insight! It's very appreciated. :)

Thanks. I was afraid that I had come across as being nasty when that wasn't my intent at all. I don't understand why this hasn't made national news, but unfortunately there seems to be too many (for the media) missing persons stories out right now. Some just get thrown aside.
This is a beautiful area, but sick people can live anywhere.
And I still cannot fathom a child being missing for 2 years without a police report. That poor kid.

Jersey Girl, How is your sibling today? Do you ever see him/her? I almost wonder if there was something medically wrong with him/her. I am so sorry you had to go through that.

Sheromom said:
Jersey Girl, How is your sibling today? Do you ever see him/her? I almost wonder if there was something medically wrong with him/her. I am so sorry you had to go through that.
The sibling is living "normal" life as an adult far away from where I am, thank God. I do not see sibling often - haven't now for about 10 years but I do get a call once in a while.

We've often heard speculation about a chemical imbalance, etc., and I suppose that it could be true. Yet when a person still behaves bizarrely as an adult without seeking help, I don't have much sympathy for them. I am a very happy, well-adjusted person now, (although my children don't have a ton of restrictions on them because I'm always mindful of just allowing them to be children as a result of my childhood), but I do sometimes feel as if this person stole my childhood, ya' know? But that was then, and this is now so I do TRY to forgive and forget. But if I'm being honest, I haven't done either of those things completely especially because of the effect that it had on my mother. She still cries about those times, and it kills me when she does because I can't change it for her.

Thank you for your kindness, Sheromom. They were very tough times, and when my sibling finally went away, I went through a period of guilt because I was happy about it. But after that guilt wore off, I was just plain happy. It felt like my life had started all over again. And honestly, stuff like that DOES make you stronger. That, and my immense love for and focus on my own children are the good things that have come out of a bad situation. :)

Thanks for asking, Sheromom, and I'm sorry to go O/T here. I just wanted to show that even with my family's situation, when it got to the point that my family didn't know where my sibling was, they did the only thing left to do to keep tabs on the whereabouts. Sometimes you've gotta' do what you've gotta' do.

ETA: I went back and edited the section with the personal experiences for reasons of anonymity, mainly for that sibling, believe it or not. So if you notice things missing, you're not crazy!! :)

JerseyGirl said:
The sibling is living "normal" life as an adult far away from where I am, thank God. I do not see sibling often - haven't now for about 10 years but I do get a call once in a while.

We've often heard speculation about a chemical imbalance, etc., and I suppose that it could be true. Yet when a person still behaves bizarrely as an adult without seeking help, I don't have much sympathy for them. I am a very happy, well-adjusted person now, (although my children don't have a ton of restrictions on them because I'm always mindful of just allowing them to be children as a result of my childhood), but I do sometimes feel as if this person stole my childhood, ya' know? But that was then, and this is now so I do TRY to forgive and forget. But if I'm being honest, I haven't done either of those things completely especially because of the effect that it had on my mother. She still cries about those times, and it kills me when she does because I can't change it for her.

Thank you for your kindness, Sheromom. They were very tough times, and when my sibling finally went away, I went through a period of guilt because I was happy about it. But after that guilt wore off, I was just plain happy. It felt like my life had started all over again. And honestly, stuff like that DOES make you stronger. That, and my immense love for and focus on my own children are the good things that have come out of a bad situation. :)

Thanks for asking, Sheromom, and I'm sorry to go O/T here. I just wanted to show that even with my family's situation, when it got to the point that my family didn't know where my sibling was, they did the only thing left to do to keep tabs on the whereabouts. Sometimes you've gotta' do what you've gotta' do.

ETA: I went back and edited the section with the personal experiences for reasons of anonymity, mainly for that sibling, believe it or not. So if you notice things missing, you're not crazy!! :)

I have a dozen siblings. How blessed I have been. (of course, I am the eldest so it would have been harder to pick on me!)
I just want to give you a hug ((((HUGS)))) Your children are lucky to have you!

monkalup said:
I have a dozen siblings. How blessed I have been. (of course, I am the eldest so it would have been harder to pick on me!)
I just want to give you a hug ((((HUGS)))) Your children are lucky to have you!
Oh, thank you so much, monkalup!!! I really appreciate that!

Let me just say that I am a female, (probably pretty obvious by my nickname! :) ), and the sibling that I'm referring to is my only sister. My other siblings are brothers, and they are much younger than me. So my brothers are very close to each other but I was always like the big sister so we didn't bond in the same way as they bonded with each other. It does get lonely sometimes, especially when I see friends with their sisters or when I see my brothers together, caring for each other the way same gender siblings should. Sometimes when I see them together, or hear of them getting together to watch the Eagles games, I kind of feel like an only child! I'm mostly okay with it but sometimes it does make me pretty sad. So I want you to know that I really, really do appreciate those hugs!!! :blowkiss:

SoccerMom said:
sharon25 said:
I wonder how many "moyer"s there are in lancaster county?QUOTE]

I am checking my phone book for that answer. There are 242 Moyers listed in my white pages for Lancaster County.

wow,

I didn't realize there were that many.
although the one family reunion that I went
to a few years was very very big.

not that big though!

Thank you for looking

i agree, this is the strangest case that i have heard of for a long time. How could anyone go undetected by their family and friends for two years??? i know that if i dont talk weekly, my family and friends get worried!

I'm wicked intrigued by this heart-breaking story - however I can not find a full article on it anywhere, I keep just getting the beginning, as newspapers don't have the full article as too much time has passed. Any advice anyone?

I'm dying to know if there was a trial, how he was murdered, etc.

julie4417 said:
I'm wicked intrigued by this heart-breaking story - however I can not find a full article on it anywhere, I keep just getting the beginning, as newspapers don't have the full article as too much time has passed. Any advice anyone?

I'm dying to know if there was a trial, how he was murdered, etc.

Welcome to WS Julie!
Most of the articles are old, and if they are only showing the beginning of the article, then probably it is in a paid archive.
Things to try:
Click on archive of the media's website. Do a search for the name. They will tel you if it is a paid archive.
Paste the headline of the article into google, sometimes they will get you directly into the article. Also, many times articles are reprinted in another paper, and they might not have a paid archive.
Pay archives are most usually in the print media, try doing a search of the TV sebsites.

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/13530

Not sure if this has been posted yet...it's a conversation between several of Jonnie's friends, as well as one of the girls who helped to bury his body- she is also the mother of his child.

A lot of profanity and blame, and not a lot about Jonnie's memory...

I still don't know if there was ever a trial- has anyone heard?

steph said:
Great links Steph & weekender. It's unbelievably sad reading at the forum above. You can see the grief and the anger. It's like a first-hand look inside the dynamics of people that have been shattered by such a tragedy. Chilling and beyond sad. One of the posts:

geeg420
05-23-2005

This is not even trying to be a soap opera here people. A life has been taken, We just want Jonnie to rest in peace, and have this whole thing come to a close. We cannot help the fact that this has become a media circus. It is very hard and disturbing on these families. Have a little respect and sympathy. In case you haven't figured it out, The so called helper, who buried the body is signing onto this forum as xpose. Again, I will Say a human has lost their life. I am not seeing this as a play, or some csi case. the fact of the matter, is that family knows what the deal is, we just want the truth to be told, for jonnie's sake. If felina did it then she should pay. This is for real people, let's not sit back and pretend, that this isn't horrifying to the people involved. Maidentg, I am not so sure that sheena has anything bad to do with this. Supposedly it was steva who had written to felina in jail. Well I got things to do see ya later. RIP JONNIE

I'm glad to see that people are talking about it. It seems like such a sad and convoluted story. Hopefully justice will be had for this boy and his young daughter.​

As for a trial, I haven't heard anything one way or the other. I've read some things that have led me to believe that there hasn't been a trial yet but I really don't know.​

Another post from steph's link:

Trainwreck
05-23-2005

I am so discusted with all of this. I can barely make it on my own two feet everyday since I found out only some of what happened. My mind goes crazy not knowing the truth. I will never understand how anybody that I know and is a part of my life, whom I love is even able to wake up in the morning. Both of you for two years , this part we know is a fact, lied and used us all. We may have not known at the time, but for a fact we know how you LIVED with yourselves, lived with others and all along the two of you kept that inside. Just with what I know and feel, I can barely stand up and go on with my "normal" routine of things. Since the day I found out I am sickened. I honestly don't know how if me just being in the state of mind I have been in since finding out, How could the BOTH of you wake everyday, how does someone keep that inside? What kind of person wouldn't go to the authorities immediatly after realizing what they have done? Not either one of you stepped up. Jonnie was not only a friend, but you knew he was you baby's father. How does one live so freely, like nothing has ever happened. It also makes me ill to think that whatever made this come out now(2yrs later), what if another 2 or 3 years went by? Were you both just gonna pretend like it never happened? You both should have been taken care of by the law 2 yrs ago. What are you thinking! I still don't know how a person who has people who cares and loves for them, can live with such a burden of a secret. I finally understand why both of you and your sick relationship exsist now. All that time I just thought you two were young and dumb girls. When really the tie that BOUNDED you together is your sick, sad secret. To think you subjected Jaden to that.... BOTH of you! Although you may not realize it do you know not only is a Father, Brother, Nefew, Friend, and more gone but soon you have both taken away a Mother, a Daughter, an Aunt, Cousin, Sister, another friend and more. How can you two swallow. How? because just knowing what I do know has broken me, it has changed me. How does one live with that. Do you know how many people you Both hurt? How do you live? What kind of person?

According to a post on that forum by someone closely involved in the story, the trial was supposed to start on June 29th. But I've yet to find anything about it.

Dree said:
i agree, this is the strangest case that i have heard of for a long time. How could anyone go undetected by their family and friends for two years??? i know that if i dont talk weekly, my family and friends get worried!
What I find most unbelievable is that the one girl claims to not have known that his body was in her closet for 2 months. From what I've read in the past, the smell of a decaying corpse is unbearable and unmistakable. Yet this body was in her closet (with no doors) for 2 months and she never knew? I'm finding that very hard to believe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back