PA PA - Marise Chiverella, 9, Hazleton, 18 March 1964

I wonder if anyone in her immediate family was either a judge or lawyer? The coal stripping pit sounds like something mob would do. Someone who wanted revenge? I wonder if anything can be found in the Times Leader Archives concerning the man from Nescopeck? Just some random thoughts.

There was a man who confessed because he was suicidal and thought he'd get the death penalty. His confession was rejected. I wonder if he was the person who took his life.

I wonder if anyone in her immediate family was either a judge or lawyer? The coal stripping pit sounds like something mob would do. Someone who wanted revenge? I wonder if anything can be found in the Times Leader Archives concerning the man from Nescopeck? Just some random thoughts.
I'll bet that Joseph Sabadish's dad, uncles, and any brothers were coal miners like all the other new immigrants in that area. I've looked all evening in coal mining accident reports and can find MANY Sabadish and Sabados males in Schuylkill County that worked in the mines in that area, but I can't find Andrew Sabadish/Sabados (his dad). It is very possible that he retired before such records were kept or was never injured. It's very possible that Joseph Sabadish worked in the mines at times with his male family members when he wasn't in school, after school, holiday, and weekends. Tiny little boys worked in the mines before the child labor laws. If they were big enough to carry a lunch bucket, they were sent inside the mines. There is one paragraph in this article about little boys in the Schuylkill mines. Sabadish was born in 1918 before child labor laws of the Great Depression (which only cut the hours of children working in the mines).
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/things/4280/child_labor/478193

Whoever dumped her body 20 minutes after she was killed, didn't have time to drive around and search for the "perfect" place to dump her. Milnesville is the boonies and articles have said that strip pit was in a very obscure place. The monster drove right to it. :furious:

On the 1940 Census, I found an address for Andrew Sabadish/Sabados. Notice that the wife's name is Verna (Veronica is listed as mom in Fr. Sabadish's sisters obituary. Realize that they were Slovak immigrants who likely didn't speak or write English fluently and didn't need to since they lived in a tiny city filled with other Slovaks. Slavic peoples use the Cyrillic alphabet not the modern English alphabet.

Caroline Avenue
St Clair,
Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania
http://www.ancestry.com/1940-census/usa/Pennsylvania/Andrew-Sabados_rj1m8

This St Clair (there are other St. Clairs in PA) was a tiny coal mining city. You can also check the plentiful number of bars in that area (Yes, I'm serious and the same occurred with steel mill areas. The workers walked to work and walked to the bar after work every day regardless of whether their shift ended at 7:00 am or 7:00 pm.) There is even a St. Clair Coal Mining Co.

Joseph Sabadish's dad was a Slovak immigrant and lived in a tiny city full of other Slovak/Eastern European coal miners in 1940. Therefore, he was VERY likely to be a coal miner in mines very close to where Marise's body was found. I wish someone who knew Fr. Sabadish (I HATE typing Fr. in front of his name) would tell us if he had worked the mines when he was a child or young man.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 11.38.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 11.38.32 PM.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 38
Don't most old strip pits in PA fill with water (and become swimming holes)? I wonder why the strip pit where Marise was placed was dry. Was it a newly abandoned strip pit?

I am finding a lot of info on strip mines in Milnesville, PA that are very old. Some show records that came from 1860.

Does anyone know the name of the mine company that owned the strip pit where Marise was found? Was she found at Milnesville #7? Does anyone local know when the strip pit in which she was found was abandoned?

The census gives his job as a labourer for the WPA, a few neighbors were miners though.

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

''The Works Progress Administration (renamed in 1939 as the Work Projects Administration; WPA) was the largest and most ambitious New Deal agency, employing millions of unemployed people (mostly unskilled men) to carry out public works projects,[1] including the construction of public buildings and roads. In much smaller but more famous projects the WPA employed musicians, artists, writers, actors and directors in large arts, drama, media, and literacy projects.[1]

Almost every community in the United States had a new park, bridge or school constructed by the agency. The WPA's initial appropriation in 1935 was for $4.9 billion (about 6.7 percent of the 1935 GDP), and in total it spent $13.4 billion.[2]''

Edited to add, the families on the street could also have been Slovakian, the names lead me to think so.

http://pahomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=126042

'' As Marise walked along Fourth Street, she disappeared. Later that day she was found dead in a stripping pit near Route 309, about 2 miles from where she was kidnapped''

South Church st - route 309 and then turn onto Transportation drive, that's where I think the Honey brook mine was, at the end of that road. But, I could be wrong.

Glen Alden Coal company at some point owned the HB mine, but it's possible that HB became a company in it's own right.

The census gives his job as a labourer for the WPA, a few neighbors were miners though.

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

''The Works Progress Administration (renamed in 1939 as the Work Projects Administration; WPA) was the largest and most ambitious New Deal agency, employing millions of unemployed people (mostly unskilled men) to carry out public works projects,[1] including the construction of public buildings and roads. In much smaller but more famous projects the WPA employed musicians, artists, writers, actors and directors in large arts, drama, media, and literacy projects.[1]

Almost every community in the United States had a new park, bridge or school constructed by the agency. The WPA's initial appropriation in 1935 was for $4.9 billion (about 6.7 percent of the 1935 GDP), and in total it spent $13.4 billion.[2]''

Edited to add, the families on the street could also have been Slovakian, the names lead me to think so.
Thanks for finding that. The WPA work forces were ended in 1943. Can you find what he did after or before he had a WPA job? tia

Could the allegedly obscure mining area where Marise was found be seen from the road?

I wish LE would release info/evidence on unsolved murders after many years. Was Marise strangled with a belt that was similar to the one used to kill Carol Ann?

Couldn't see anything re. what Andrew did after 1943 but found this in archive news

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=5234,4339547&dq=mining+in+hazleton+pa&hl=en

I'm wondering if the miner that was trapped further down the mine was given the last rites ? If so a Priest would have to attend. Not much health and safety at that time, I wonder if a Priest was called more than once. Saying that, not even sure if it was the same mine.

Louis Bova's body was never found :(

Good call.

When Quecreek mine caved in a decade ago, priests were shown on tv standing at the site 24/7. There was even a public appreciation event for the priests after the men were rescued.

Russian Orthodox priests travel to bless parishioners' homes, businesses, places of employment, cars, and etc... on an annual basis.
http://archive.ocl.org/?id=12332
Roman and Byzantine Catholic priests very likely blessed the coal mines in that area too.

Milnesville is next to where the local tiny, tiny airport is. There is a road that runs parallel to the milnesville strip holes. As far as filling with water from living near them, they fill with water but not very much. It's mostly runoff from sides of the mountain and weather. Unless there is one that is deep then you'll get a deeper pond, swimming hole etc. I could be off on that, that's only based on my observations and running around in them growing up.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7626812896

''Tragically, no sooner when Marise's parents reported her missing, a man dumping some coal ash found the little girl's partially clothed body at the bottom of a strip mine 25 feet deep several miles north of where Marise lived. She had been bound with shoelaces, was gagged with a multi-colored handkerchief, was raped, and had been strangled to death. It appeared as though Marise had been killed where her body was found because her body had not been thrown in the pit, but had been placed there''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back