PA - Monsignor W. Lynn & 4 priests arrested in sweep/child rape & failure to protect

There were rumors, when I was in High School, about one of the priests at our local parish. The young man who made the complaint was gay. Unfortunately no one believed him. They said it was because he felt 'so guilty about his sexuality'.

I hope there is a special place in hell for these men. How dare they use the name and fear of the church, to sexually abuse young men. I would not want to be them! I don't care how many 'hail Marys' you recite. You are in deep doo doo!!

The place? Philadelphia The time? 2003 Under questioning? Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua (who by the way now supposedly has alzheimers).

When the prosecutor asked the Cardinal why he transferred a Priest who knowingly sexually assaulted children the Cardinal's answer?

A Priest has his right.

Article in length in our Sunday paper. It's enough to make your head explode. More than one outragous statement made by the Cardinal including why in the Lord's name they lied to Parishoners about Priests being transferred. One they were told was ill. Ill in his bloomin head and therefore raped kids? Oh no. They were told he had Lyme disease.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-07-...ry-grand-jurors-cardinal-anthony-j-bevilacqua

Warning do not read if you do not want to have your head ready to explode and to be seriously sickened and angered.

We now have access to some of Msgr. Lynn's testimony from those super secret grand jury meetings. He appeared before the grand jury 14 times.

Lynn admitted that when a now adult victim of Father Gana came to him to report abuse Lynn said he had never knew anything of Father Gana violating a child and that Gana himeself denied sexually assaulting the man as a child. Total flippin BS. Pure unadulterated c*ap. Gana himself told Lynn of harming the victim and other victims as well.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why didn't Lynn report this poor guy's claims? Because he thought the victim wanted MONEY. How dare he? How dare he?

There was some backward rule made up by I guess The Church that a therapist had to claim five times that a Priest definately violated a child. Yeah and if the Priest was drunk it didn't count? WTH? Pardon me, but aren't you just as raped, harmed, confused, sickened, shamed when you're violated by someone against your will weather they are drunk or sober?

Oh it just goes on and I can't even repeat it save for one last thing. Lynn said he didn't call police especially when the child's parents reported abuse because he thought he had to have the victim in front of him.

areyafec*inkiddin me Father? He's been walking around like this? He's been saying Mass like this? Knowing this? He hears confession? IMO he's even wrose than the pedophiles he covered for. Ya know what? I think as a Catholic I should be able to hear his confession. Yeah I do. Should I absolve him? Turn the tides. That would serve him better than his holy *advertiser censored*s sitting in prison. Put him back out there on the street. Make him go to Church in the very Parish this poor adult victim went to him about.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/128961728.html

Much more at link Now reading that. Him admitting that? At least he told the flippin truth for once. Still how dare he?

Filly, thank you for your posts and links here.

I appreciate the information you've shared, as gut-wrenching as it is to comprehend.

The swath of destruction--mental, physical and spiritual--that these "holy" men left behind them over the course of DECADES is staggering. The grand jury report alone had me in tears... the case studies are heartbreaking.

OK. Need to step back and process a bit before posting more. Thanks again, Filly! :blowkiss:

Filly, thank you for your posts and links here.

I appreciate the information you've shared, as gut-wrenching as it is to comprehend.

The swath of destruction--mental, physical and spiritual--that these "holy" men left behind them over the course of DECADES is staggering. The grand jury report alone had me in tears... the case studies are heartbreaking.

OK. Need to step back and process a bit before posting more. Thanks again, Filly! :blowkiss:

Oh ynotdivein thank you for the thanks. However I wish such ugliness didn't exist. It does just gut you to even read this. Unimaginable.

The latest is Bevilacqua and his questioning. I'm wondering how many times he said he "I don't recall"?

This link basically states that even other Priests think Lynn is Bevilacqua and Krol's (deceased) fall guy. Lynn couldn't do anything without their O.K.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/the-cove...cle_32438022-230d-5e46-a38e-390227ca1bcb.html

It's JMO as a survivor of child sexual abuse that it dictates how the rest of your life is shaped in so many ways. Bad enough if some old drunken freak attacks you, but your spiritual advisor? I mean we were taught to respect our Priests. They were sort of your direct link to God in a way. So my heart breaks for anyone that was harmed by these "men".

Stepping back myself less my BP goes up any higher.

From the article you linked above:

"....“Let there be no doubt about this,” [grand jury member C] said. “If there had been no statute of limitations, every single member of the grand jury agreed that we would have indicted Cardinal Bevilacqua, many of his key administrators and every one of the accused priests. We would have done everything possible to make these people pay for what they did.”"

RBBM

Lynn knew it all. He was the lynchpin IMO. Yes, now he is being scapegoated, but look at those "case studies." He knew--and not just about one or two incidents. He knew of and was an integral part in the whole sick scheme. :maddening:

And yes Filly, "survivors" is the right word. Not "victims." Survivors.

This may not comfort anyone, but here it is anyways.

A retired monsignor stated, "God judges priests by a much higher standard. Therefore, the path to hell is paved with the skulls of priests."

That letter is similar to the letter that went out to the Cleveland and Toledo dioceses' parishioners after their dioceses were decimated by the settlements paid to the many victims (hundreds of millions). Their archbishop was financially forced to close many parishes and schools. :(

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/01/23/3063316/pa-archdiocese-named-unindicted.html#wgt=rcntnews

PHILADELPHIA — Prosecutors on Monday accused the Archdiocese of Philadelphia of being an "unindicted co-conspirator" in a clergy sex abuse case and said the Roman Catholic Church fed predators a steady supply of children.

The comments came in a key hearing before the March trial of a high-ranking church official, a priest and a former priest.

Monsignor William Lynn, 61, is charged with conspiring with priests and church officials to keep priests accused of sex abuse in ministry and parishioners in the dark.

Common Pleas District Judge M. Teresa Sarmina must decide how much the jury will hear about the archdiocese's overall handling of sex abuse complaints.
------

"The archdiocese is supplying him with an endless supply of victims," Cipolletti said Monday.

The judge asked if prosecutors consider the archdiocese "an unindicted co-conspirator."

"Certainly," Cipolletti said. "It's not like there aren't other people (in the archdiocese) involved. There absolutely are."

The February 2011 grand jury report blasted Bevilacqua and his successor, Cardinal Justin Rigali, for their handling of priest abuse complaints but said there wasn't enough evidence to charge them with any crimes.

More at link....

BREAKING: Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua dies at 88

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120201_Cardinal_Anthony_Bevilacqua_dies_at_88.html

By David O’Reilly
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Cardinal Anthony Joseph Bevilacqua, 88, whose 15 years as shepherd of the 1.5 million-member Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia was marked by both celebration and crisis, died in his sleep Tuesday night in his apartment at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Wynnewood.

Donna Farrell, a spokeswoman for the archdiocese, said he died about 9:15 p.m.

Maybe I'm nuts, but this death seems awfully convenient for the diocese.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back