PA - Panera sued by parents after daughter Sarah Katz, 21, died of cardiac arrest after drinking Charged Lemonade, 2022 - Philadelphia, 23 Oct 2023

ifindedout

Reaction score
The legal complaint, which was filed Monday morning in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas and was first obtained by NBC News, calls the beverage a “dangerous energy drink” and argues that Panera failed to appropriately warn consumers about its ingredients.

The suit was filed on behalf of the parents of Sarah Katz, a 21-year-old University of Pennsylvania student who had taught CPR in underserved communities and had been a research assistant at a children’s hospital. Katz had a heart condition called long QT syndrome type 1 and avoided energy drinks at the recommendation of her doctors, according to the filing.
Katz had purchased a charged lemonade from a Panera Bread in Philadelphia on Sept. 10, 2022, according to the suit. She went into cardiac arrest hours later, said her roommate and close friend, Victoria Rose Conroy.

[...]

The charged lemonade was “offered side-by-side with all of Panera’s non-caffeinated and/or less caffeinated drinks” and was advertised as a “plant-based and clean” beverage that contained as much caffeine as the restaurant’s dark roast coffee, according to photos of both the menu and beverage dispensers in the store, which were included in the wrongful death lawsuit.

But at 390 milligrams, the large charged lemonade has more caffeine than any size of Panera’s dark roast coffee, the complaint says — numbers that the nutrition facts on Panera’s website confirm. The charged lemonade also has guarana extract, another stimulant, as well as the equivalent of nearly 30 teaspoons of sugar, the complaint continues, adding that 390 milligrams of caffeine is higher than the caffeine content of standard cans of Red Bull and Monster energy drinks combined. Katz had gotten the large cup, which is 30 fluid ounces, according to the attorney representing her family.

I saw a similar article earlier today. I haven't been in a Panera for a while, so I hadn't heard of this lemonade. That is a lot of caffeine for sure. I'm a big coffee drinker, but I drink several cups of coffee over the course of the day, not all at once, and I never got into energy drink type beverages. Had SK drank this lemonade before? did she know its caffeine level?

I've had this...can attest that the caffeine hits you fast! IMO way more caffeine than is necessary. One reason is because American drink sizes are so big, and it's easy to drink fast, so you get a lot of caffeine at all.
The caffeine content is mentioned online, and is mentioned in the touchscreen self-service checkouts some locations have now, but I can't recall it being on the actual written menu on the wall or on the self-service lemonade jugs up front (at this location you got a cup and chose your drink yourself). If is written there...it is written small and is not super noticeable. I can't blame Sarah for not seeing it. Another thing I was thinking when I saw the self-service style is that a child could choose this flavor without realizing what's in it.
In terms of the name 'Charged Lemonade'..these retail stores routinely come out with fancy new mixed drinks, and if I wasn't paying attention, I might assume charged meant ''new better taste'' or something like that. I'm not sure where I stand on this lawsuit.

I've had this...can attest that the caffeine hits you fast! IMO way more caffeine than is necessary. One reason is because American drink sizes are so big, and it's easy to drink fast, so you get a lot of caffeine at all.
The caffeine content is mentioned online, and is mentioned in the touchscreen self-service checkouts some locations have now, but I can't recall it being on the actual written menu on the wall or on the self-service lemonade jugs up front (at this location you got a cup and chose your drink yourself). If is written there...it is written small and is not super noticeable. I can't blame Sarah for not seeing it. Another thing I was thinking when I saw the self-service style is that a child could choose this flavor without realizing what's in it.
In terms of the name 'Charged Lemonade'..these retail stores routinely come out with fancy new mixed drinks, and if I wasn't paying attention, I might assume charged meant ''new better taste'' or something like that. I'm not sure where I stand on this lawsuit.
Honestly, if I saw the label "Charged' on lemonade, I would think it was carbonated. Even if I thought it had a "boost" of energy, I wouldn't expect it to be more than coffee.

I'm not sure where I stand either, as she knows about her health condition and is medically savvy. Still, I'm also sure she didn't expect THAT much caffeine in a lemonade.

Tragic to lose someone young.

jmo

Last edited:
I'm not sure where I stand either, as she knows about her health condition and is medically savvy. Still, I'm also sure she didn't expect THAT much caffeine in a lemonade.
Agree. I have a heart condition and would never try an energy drink because of it. I would also never assume a lemonade would be like an energy drink (or worse). I'd have to know more about the packaging, etc.

yeah, I struggle with this one. It's called CHARGED for a reason and I'd want to know about it were I advised to stay away from energy drinks. personal responsibility is out the window these days and we have grown so litigious IMO
Agree, if I saw "Charged" as a drink name, I would assume it had something in it to pep me up - particularly if it was lemonade. That drink doesn't normally contain ingredients like caffeine or stimulants. To me it seems clear there was something different about that lemonade.

yeah, I struggle with this one. It's called CHARGED for a reason and I'd want to know about it were I advised to stay away from energy drinks. personal responsibility is out the window these days and we have grown so litigious IMO

I mean, personal responsibility is fine, but if the article posted above is correct and Panera erroneously stated that the caffeine content was the same as their dark roast, then I think the family has a case. That's just false and dangerous advertising.

MOO.

Panera's Charged Lemonades in Fuji Apple Cranberry, Strawberry Lemon Mint, and Mango Citrus.

Panera's Charged Lemonades in Fuji Apple Cranberry, Strawberry Lemon Mint, and Mango Citrus

Additionally, the “Charged Lemonade” is mixed “in-house” by store employees, meaning that “its caffeine content is not controlled and, in turn, has an innate and dangerous potential to vary,” according to the lawsuit.

According to Elizabeth Crawford, the attorney representing Katz’s parents, Katz drank out of the large size cup. Katz had a Panera Sip Club membership that gives subscribers free in-store refills, so it’s not possible to know how much she drank, said Crawford.

“We want to make sure that the drink includes a warning, or is taken off the shelf,” Crawford told CNN. “It’s a dangerous energy drink and it’s not advertised that way. We want to make sure this does not happen to someone else.”

Panera's Charged Lemonades in Fuji Apple Cranberry, Strawberry Lemon Mint, and Mango Citrus.'s Charged Lemonades in Fuji Apple Cranberry, Strawberry Lemon Mint, and Mango Citrus.

Panera's Charged Lemonades in Fuji Apple Cranberry, Strawberry Lemon Mint, and Mango Citrus

Additionally, the “Charged Lemonade” is mixed “in-house” by store employees, meaning that “its caffeine content is not controlled and, in turn, has an innate and dangerous potential to vary,” according to the lawsuit.

According to Elizabeth Crawford, the attorney representing Katz’s parents, Katz drank out of the large size cup. Katz had a Panera Sip Club membership that gives subscribers free in-store refills, so it’s not possible to know how much she drank, said Crawford.

“We want to make sure that the drink includes a warning, or is taken off the shelf,” Crawford told CNN. “It’s a dangerous energy drink and it’s not advertised that way. We want to make sure this does not happen to someone else.”
I understand what they mean.This has more caffeine than an average energy drink. If energy drinks are legally required to have caffeine content clearly and legibly displayed on their label, this drink should fall under the same jurisdiction IMO.
The above photo is what they come in btw, same plastic cup as their other cold drinks. A special cup that has a caffeine warning could cover their butts from future lawsuits...

My daughter has a heart condition that causes her to avoid caffeine, and I have anxiety that causes ME to avoid caffeine. We went to Panera together and got these lemonades when dining in, just based on how yummy and unique the flavors sounded. We thought nothing of it until I went back up to the area to get napkins or something, and I happened to see the caffeine content listed in VERY small font on the label attached to the urn. We immediately dumped out the drinks and traded them out for something else, and I was shocked when I looked up how much that listed level of caffeine really is. Also not sure how anyone in the drive-through would even know. Long story short, I completely understand how this happened, and I'm so sorry for Sarah's loss.

Emphasizing this information from the first comment: "But at 390 milligrams, the large charged lemonade has more caffeine than any size of Panera’s dark roast coffee, the complaint says — numbers that the nutrition facts on Panera’s website confirm. The charged lemonade also has guarana extract, another stimulant, as well as the equivalent of nearly 30 teaspoons of sugar, the complaint continues, adding that 390 milligrams of caffeine is higher than the caffeine content of standard cans of Red Bull and Monster energy drinks combined. Katz had gotten the large cup, which is 30 fluid ounces, according to the attorney representing her family."

This is absolutely on Panera. That amount of caffeine and additional stimulants with no signage is negligent behavior. Charged could easily mean carbonated, stronger flavors, etc. Anyone remember Gatorade FIERCE flavors? I don't think it's a lack of personal responsibility to order an lemonade and not expect it to have more caffeine than a monster and red bull combined. That's a crazy amount.

Emphasizing this information from the first comment: "But at 390 milligrams, the large charged lemonade has more caffeine than any size of Panera’s dark roast coffee, the complaint says — numbers that the nutrition facts on Panera’s website confirm. The charged lemonade also has guarana extract, another stimulant, as well as the equivalent of nearly 30 teaspoons of sugar, the complaint continues, adding that 390 milligrams of caffeine is higher than the caffeine content of standard cans of Red Bull and Monster energy drinks combined. Katz had gotten the large cup, which is 30 fluid ounces, according to the attorney representing her family."

This is absolutely on Panera. That amount of caffeine and additional stimulants with no signage is negligent behavior. Charged could easily mean carbonated, stronger flavors, etc. Anyone remember Gatorade FIERCE flavors? I don't think it's a lack of personal responsibility to order an lemonade and not expect it to have more caffeine than a monster and red bull combined. That's a crazy amount.
30 teaspoons of sugar?!!! Holy cow! That sounds disgustingly sweet!

I visit different Panera locations when I travel for work, and I often sit in Panera with my laptop when working. Many Panera locations keep their Charged lemonades behind the counter, not out in the self-serve soda and lemonade counter.

They do post signs on each lemonade with calorie count and amount of caffeine.

I like the Charged lemonades, I don’t drink coffee and I get my caffeine from energy drinks. I always mix the Charged lemonades half and half with Bubbly because I don’t want to consume as much sugar as the drinks contain.

...Caffeine is possibly unsafe when used for a long time or in doses over 400 mg daily. Caffeine can cause insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, nausea, increased heart rate, and other side effects. Larger doses might cause headache, anxiety, and chest pain.

Caffeine is likely unsafe when used in very high doses. It can cause irregular heartbeat and even death. Products with very concentrated or pure caffeine have a high risk of being used in doses that are too high. Avoid using these products...

I mix them half and half with Bubbly water because I don’t want that much sugar.

They also have a zero calorie Charged lemonade made with Stevia.
Yep, that would be way too sweet for me. I like Coke and Pepsi, but even those are almost too sweet and I only drink them occasionally when there isn't something else. I don't have anything against these drinks being available, but drinks with that much caffeine and that much sugar should be well labelled, and maybe these are.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back