PA - Panera sued by parents after daughter Sarah Katz, 21, died of cardiac arrest after drinking Charged Lemonade, 2022 - Philadelphia, 23 Oct 2023

It kind of depends what your baseline is. I have ADHD so not only do I need a stimulant to function, I process it very quickly and then need a lot more. To watch me in a normal day you wouldn't think that I'm consuming excessive caffeine amounts, because I'm starting at a much, much lower baseline than your average healthy person. This is of course a person to person case by case basis and I think more people would do well to consider whether or not they actually need it, but for me on a bad day, the Panera lemonade would barely affect my energy levels.

I'm not talking about stimulant medication that is prescribed for a documented medical condition.

The truth is, the focus on healthcare in America appears to be around nothing more than obesity when things like energy drinks and sugar have as much, if not more, of an impact, IMO. Energy drinks come with many risks, both short and long term.

These are the strong caffeine big can mocha drinks we drank. For adult drink we added vodka and ice, they were pretty speedy delicious drinks. Can't attach pic

Last edited:
Now Dunkin has introduced new Energy Punch drink with caffeine

I'm not talking about stimulant medication that is prescribed for a documented medical condition.

The truth is, the focus on healthcare in America appears to be around nothing more than obesity when things like energy drinks and sugar have as much, if not more, of an impact, IMO. Energy drinks come with many risks, both short and long term.
stimulant medication is quite difficult to get, actually. I take three psych meds to keep myself going, none of which are stimulants and one of which is specifically for the ADHD but also unfortunately causes fatigue. So I can spend thousands of dollars and another year or so of my life trying again to be approved for a stimulant drug, or.... good ol' red bull, which I can get anywhere.

stimulant medication is quite difficult to get, actually. I take three psych meds to keep myself going, none of which are stimulants and one of which is specifically for the ADHD but also unfortunately causes fatigue. So I can spend thousands of dollars and another year or so of my life trying again to be approved for a stimulant drug, or.... good ol' red bull, which I can get anywhere.

In my experience, for people who meet the criteria for stimulant medication, they're not that difficult to get and majority of the time, a safer choice than an energy drink, whether from Panera or anywhere else.

I remember in high school I had classmates that practically lived on energy drinks, specifically Red Bull and Monsters. Obviously teens have ways of procuring things parents won't allow but I remember thinking, even then, "I'm sure your family will try to sue Monster when you have a heart attack after drinking four in a row."

I'm not saying corporations don't have any responsibility but generally speaking the concepts of accountability and personal responsibility have gone out the window. Everything is always someone else's fault.

In my experience, for people who meet the criteria for stimulant medication, they're not that difficult to get and majority of the time, a safer choice than an energy drink, whether from Panera or anywhere else.
That's what I'm saying, though- the "criteria" is often 'diagnosed as having ADHD as a child', which simply did not happen for many of us growing up in the 90's who didn't present as hyperactive. Many people do not meet this criteria despite struggling with ADHD every day. Even for those who manage to get further in the diagnosis process, it can take years of appointments and assessments simply to get to the point of someone saying "yes you meet the criteria". And once you're on it... well, there's a shortage.
"
Dr. Lenard Adler, director of the adult ADHD program at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York, said about 30% to 40% of the prescriptions he writes for ADHD medications have to be rewritten because pharmacies may not have them in stock. Prescriptions can’t be transferred between pharmacies, meaning doctors have to issue patients new ones.

“I have several patients who have been off their meds for two to three months,” he said. “When they get off their medications, their symptoms come back and then they forget to make a follow-up appointment, and I have no way of knowing this is happening.”

The shortage has created a huge “burden” for people with the disorder, he added.

“It has been quite difficult,” he said. “It’s sometimes hard to find an alternative medicine. It may require switching preparations or switching doses.” However, the alternative may not be a generic, he added, meaning it will likely cost the patient more money."

That's what I'm saying, though- the "criteria" is often 'diagnosed as having ADHD as a child', which simply did not happen for many of us growing up in the 90's who didn't present as hyperactive.

The criteria is having symptoms as a child, not having the diagnosis as a child. There's a big difference in those two things. The reason that's the criteria is that ADHD is a developmental disorder. It typically happens as the brain is developing so there are symptoms present in grade school.

Regardless, with regard to this case, energy drinks are dangerous, no matter the reason one takes them. Self-medication doesn't reduce the risk. People should be aware of what they put in their bodies, so I do hope places that have such drinks without the appropriate warnings that an average person would see, are held accountable. This part is MOO

Last edited:
The criteria is having symptoms as a child, not having the diagnosis as a child. There's a big difference in those two things. The reason that's the criteria is that ADHD is a developmental disorder. It typically happens as the brain is developing so there are symptoms present in grade school.

Regardless, with regard to this case, energy drinks are dangerous, no matter the reason one takes them. Self-medication doesn't reduce the risk. People should be aware of what they put in their bodies, so I do hope places that have such drinks without the appropriate warnings that an average person would see, are held accountable. This part is MOO
Symptoms that you have to prove you had, generally through more than one source. Some people are lucky enough to still be in contact with more than one parent, have more than one parent living, or have had teachers who can write letters, assuming those people remember seeing symptoms at all. It's a long, complicated process and if any of those conditions aren't met, even if the patient can identify what they now know to be ADHD behaviors, their own memories are not sufficient.

I agree, in fact; as I said before, I think everyone should be aware of the risks of consumables. (For instance I found out just this year that you're not supposed to eat more than 3 brazil nuts in a day. Selenium poisoning.) But, the question was asked: who needs that much energy? And my answer is: me, unfortunately.

Symptoms that you have to prove you had, generally through more than one source. Some people are lucky enough to still be in contact with more than one parent, have more than one parent living, or have had teachers who can write letters, assuming those people remember seeing symptoms at all. It's a long, complicated process and if any of those conditions aren't met, even if the patient can identify what they now know to be ADHD behaviors, their own memories are not sufficient.

I agree, in fact; as I said before, I think everyone should be aware of the risks of consumables. (For instance I found out just this year that you're not supposed to eat more than 3 brazil nuts in a day. Selenium poisoning.) But, the question was asked: who needs that much energy? And my answer is: me, unfortunately.
If I may gently suggest, you may want to find a new provider. I was diagnosed with ADD in adulthood and while they did ask about symptoms in childhood, they didn’t request any proof. The past 2 years has seen such a shortage of ADHD medication that it’s not uncommon for me to go without any for a month. I know how hard just that month is, so I know it has to be awful for it to be a permanent thing for you. I hope you can find a more compassionate and informed provider.
I supplemented with energy drinks during those periods of time and I’ll tell you, they are no substitute for the focus you can get on stimulant medication.

Not to butt in or speak for others but what I am taking from this interaction is that considering ADHD is developmental, if you have the symptoms then your past history shouldn't be a factor. The fact that you have symptoms now means you probably always had it, whether it was documented or not. Idk. FWIW. Not trying to offend or anything!

ITA a second opinion is sometimes necessary. JMHO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back