PA - Panera sued by parents after daughter Sarah Katz, 21, died of cardiac arrest after drinking Charged Lemonade, 2022 - Philadelphia, 23 Oct 2023

:confused: I hope that isn't common, as someone who has been an overnight patient and has family in care, I'd be upset if I knew the nurses were using stimulants at work.

JMO I also think it was incredibly dangerous for the education system to have allowed Jolt in the school but that was back when they got paid to have Coca Cola machines in the hallways. The 90's were a different time :rolleyes:
My high school didn’t allow soda vending machines and we were quite upset because other area schools did.

I remember Jolt well. And Water Joe, which I hadn’t realized was still available, but I recently saw it for sale at Walmart, by the case or single bottles. Water Joe contains 190 mg of caffeine per bottle.

My high school didn’t allow soda vending machines and we were quite upset because other area schools did.

I remember Jolt well. And Water Joe, which I hadn’t realized was still available, but I recently saw it for sale at Walmart, by the case or single bottles. Water Joe contains 190 mg of caffeine per bottle.
I HAD to Google "Water Joe" bc... wut?! Caffeinated water, really?! Obv I never heard of it lol. I mean... I did read an article yesterday about how people are literally snorting powdered caffeine :rolleyes: :confused:

School Lunches, Back in the Day?
Oh wow! I used to drink Jolt for lunch, they sold it at our school! Jolt, fries with gravy and a chocolate bar :confused:

Jolt Cola.......... Check.
Fries w gravy......Check.
Chocolate Bar.....Check.

Were you seated at the your school's sports team's Training Table for the LUNCH of CHAMPIONS.
j/k ;)

School Lunches, Back in the Day?

Jolt Cola.......... Check.
Fries w gravy......Check.
Chocolate Bar.....Check.

Were you seated at the your school's sports team's Training Table for the LUNCH of CHAMPIONS.
j/k ;)
We also quite literally had a Taco Bell station in our school as well. No coffee bar or lemonade stand tho!

I HAD to Google "Water Joe" bc... wut?! Caffeinated water, really?! Obv I never heard of it lol. I mean... I did read an article yesterday about how people are literally snorting powdered caffeine :rolleyes: :confused:
Wondering if No Doz and Vivarin are still being sold? We took those in college, 200 mg per tablet. At least we didn’t wash them down with Jolt, lol.

I remember when Jolt came out, right in the middle of the Cola Wars and the New Coke fiasco. I liked it, though I didn't really need it because my college snack bar sold a $1.50 plastic college cup with free refills of fountain sodas there.
Jolt (or its distributor, Wet Planet Beverages) also made a bottled caffeinated water called Krank2O (pronounced "crank-two-oh"). I never tried it, and didn't want to bother to try and find it to do so, though I did get why some might like it.

I remember when Jolt came out, right in the middle of the Cola Wars and the New Coke fiasco. I liked it, though I didn't really need it because my college snack bar sold a $1.50 plastic college cup with free refills of fountain sodas there.
Jolt (or its distributor, Wet Planet Beverages) also made a bottled caffeinated water called Krank2O (pronounced "crank-two-oh"). I never tried it, and didn't want to bother to try and find it to do so, though I did get why some might like it.
I never tried Krank20 but I did drink Water Joe occasionally. It had a slight bitter taste IMO.

Both are still listed on CVS, Walgreens, Walmart and Target websites.
I don't think those kinds of products are even legal in Canada?! Never, ever heard of caffeine water! Is this what they make the lemonade with?? How can it be so high in caffeine otherwise, now that I'm thinking on it...

Can't believe I drank jolt back then, my parents obv had no idea what I was doing :rolleyes:

I don't think those kinds of products are even legal in Canada?! Never, ever heard of caffeine water! Is this what they make the lemonade with?? How can it be so high in caffeine otherwise, now that I'm thinking on it...

Can't believe I drank jolt back then, my parents obv had no idea what I was doing :rolleyes:
You can purchase caffeine in powder form, it is inexpensive and readily available. It is common for people to add it as a mix-in enhancement for a smoothie, for example.

Wondering if No Doz and Vivarin are still being sold? We took those in college, 200 mg per tablet. At least we didn’t wash them down with Jolt, lol.
I took NoDoz a few times during my first semester in college (1968) when everyone in the dorm was pulling all-nighters for finals. The tablets made me queasy and far too anxious to focus on my studies, so I stopped using them. A good night's rest before exams yielded better results than being too tired to concentrate on a test.

Last edited:
I took NoDoz a few times during my first semester in college (1968) when everyone in the dorm was pulling all-nighters for finals. The tablets made me queasy and far too anxious to focus on my studies, so I stopped using them. A good night's rest before exams yielded better results than being too tired to concentrate on a test.
I had tried to take NoDoz probably 20 years ago on an all- night drive so I could stay alert and it tore up my stomach. I stopped at a convenience store and got some Red Bull instead.

I had to work full time while I was attending college so I needed caffeine, but NoDoz wasn’t the answer for me but it was very popular with other students.

You can purchase caffeine in powder form, it is inexpensive and readily available. It is common for people to add it as a mix-in enhancement for a smoothie, for example.
Now I'm curious as to what Paneras "lemonade" recipe might actually be?

Now I'm curious as to what Paneras "lemonade" recipe might actually be?

This is the original announcement from Panera when these Charged lemonades were introduced. See how many times the words “caffeine” and “caffeinated ” are mentioned? Also “the ultimate energy drink” and “as much caffeine as our dark roast coffee.”
From https://www.panerabread.com

Need an instant energy boost?

The NEW Panera Charged Lemonades are the ultimate energy drink guaranteed to charge up your day. Powered by Clean caffeine from guarana and green coffee extract, these caffeinated lemonades feature refreshing mango, cranberry, or strawberry mint flavors. These drinks are cold, caffeinated, and so ready for summer. Plant-based and Clean with as much caffeine as our Dark Roast coffee.

New Lemonade Chargers

Strawberry Lemon Mint

Plant-based and Clean with as much caffeine as our Dark Roast coffee. Signature Craft Agave Lemonade, Caffeine, Coffee Extract, Guarana Extract, Strawberry, Lemon & Mint Flavors.

Mango Yuzu Citrus

Plant-based and Clean with as much caffeine as our Dark Roast coffee. Signature Craft Agave Lemonade, Caffeine, Coffee Extract, Guarana Extract, Mango, Yuzu and Citrus Flavors.

Fuji Apple Cranberry

Plant-based and Clean with as much caffeine as our Dark Roast coffee. Signature Craft Agave Lemonade, Caffeine, Coffee Extract, Guarana Extract, Fuji Apple and Cranberry Flavors.

Here comes Dunkin' today with Sparkd' Energy. Not as high in caffeine as the Charged Lemonade, but still...
The company released its new SPARKD’ Energy drink line on Feb. 21 in Peach Sunshine and Berry Burst flavors, according to a press release.

Dunkin’ is jumping on the energy drink trend with a beverage that contains 192 milligrams of caffeine and 37 grams of sugar in its largest size, according to the company’s website.

Panera’s rival Charged Lemonade contains 236 milligrams of caffeine for a similar size. TikTok creator Sarah Baus noted in a viral video in December 2023 that one Charged Lemonade has the caffeine equivalent of about four cups of espresso.

For context, the Food and Drug Administration says healthy adults can safely consume 400 milligrams of caffeine a day.

Here comes Dunkin' today with Sparkd' Energy. Not as high in caffeine as the Charged Lemonade, but still...

The company released its new SPARKD’ Energy drink line on Feb. 21 in Peach Sunshine and Berry Burst flavors, according to a press release.

Dunkin’ is jumping on the energy drink trend with a beverage that contains 192 milligrams of caffeine and 37 grams of sugar in its largest size, according to the company’s website.

Panera’s rival Charged Lemonade contains 236 milligrams of caffeine for a similar size. TikTok creator Sarah Baus noted in a viral video in December 2023 that one Charged Lemonade has the caffeine equivalent of about four cups of espresso.

For context, the Food and Drug Administration says healthy adults can safely consume 400 milligrams of caffeine a day.

IMO, there's nothing particularly notable about this product. It seems similar to Monster or Red Bull or similar drinks on a per-ounce basis. And unlike the Panera beverage, they are calling it an "energy drink" in their marketing. I'm fine with this as long as they clearly label the caffeine content and don't call it "lemonade" or "fruit punch" or some other name that misrepresents what the product contains.

My assistant used to take No Doz several years ago but she said the gut rot was too much for her.

Why do people need so much energy?
It kind of depends what your baseline is. I have ADHD so not only do I need a stimulant to function, I process it very quickly and then need a lot more. To watch me in a normal day you wouldn't think that I'm consuming excessive caffeine amounts, because I'm starting at a much, much lower baseline than your average healthy person. This is of course a person to person case by case basis and I think more people would do well to consider whether or not they actually need it, but for me on a bad day, the Panera lemonade would barely affect my energy levels.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back