PA - Reid and Miriam Beck, Dismembered by daughter Verity Beck, Jenkintown, January 18, 2023

Katrinepa

Reaction score

"Detectives allege that Verity Beck shot her mother and father and then used an electric chainsaw to dismember the remains. Investigators say an autopsy showed that both her parents were shot once in the head, according to an autopsy.

"There were signs of extreme trauma, and I'll tell you that the chainsaw was found," Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele said. "Both Reid and Miriam were found in different stages of dismemberment, and that was one of the reasons that it's taken the time today for us because these were not easy autopsies to conduct."

Wow between this case and the discovery of Jennifer Browns remains today. DA Steele has his hands full!!

I need to read up, but I'll ask in case someone knows - why the two different murder charges?

“JENKINTOWN, Pennsylvania --

Verity Beck, 43, is charged with first-degree murder and third-degree murder and is being held without bail.

[…] Police arrived at the home on the 1100 block of Beverly Road on Tuesday night.

That's where 73-year-old Reid Beck and 72-year-old Miriam Beck were found dead.

According to the criminal complaint, their son arrived at the home earlier in the night and saw what appeared to be a body under a blanket.

Investigators say he talked to his sister for about 30 minutes. Police say Verity Beck told her brother that things at the home had "been bad."

Her brother told Verity that she needed to call the police, investigators said, and Verity responded that she needed "more time."

Thought at first maybe VB was in the throes of a mental health crisiswhen she killed her parents, but the evidence that she had apparently tried to break into their safe sometime around the time of the murders seems to suggest this crime might’ve been motivated by other things

I can hardly believe the extreme brutality of these crimes. Thank God the parents were dead before this butcher began her grisly work.
This person needs to be locked away in a secure prison cell for the rest of her days.

Her poor brother, from the article in the first reply he spoke to her at length after discovering the bodies. I wonder if there were clear mental health issues already known, or if the home situation being bad was known to him before this or not.

He allegedly also works in the same school district that his mother did. When he does return to work, if he returns to that board, I cant imagine the pain(and joy) in seeing your mothers influence every day in your home and work, coworkers, etc. That's going to be so hard.

From the DM:

Detectives also discovered a safe with drill marks on it mounted on the wall of a second-floor bedroom with tools nearby. This indicates that a person without the key or combination had been trying to enter the safe, according to the criminal complaint.

Investigators also searched through Verity's bedroom, where they say they found three guns with spent rounds, two of which were registered to her and one of which had no record of ownership.

”ABINGTON TOWNSHIP, Pa. (CBS) -- The Archdiocese of Philadelphia says Verity Beck, the Montgomery County woman who has been charged with murdering her parents, was a teacher at Saint Katherine School of Special Education in Wynnewood.

Beck had not been present in the school since Christmas break, the archdiocese says.”

SBM

Verity A. Beck will be admitted to Norristown State Hospital for up to 60 days “for purposes of an in-patient competency evaluation,” Montgomery County Judge Gail A. Weilheimer wrote in a court order.

Evaluating physicians at the state hospital will prepare a report to address Beck’s “mental health functioning, competency to stand trial, progress toward regaining competency, foreseeable prospects for regaining competency, and a determination of level of care,” Weilheimer wrote.

This case reminds me of Chandler Halderson, also a matricide-patricide-dismembering. A FASCINATING case, easy to grasp, except in its brutality. You can follow it on Law and Crime (YT), and learn about every which variety of forensic technique. The trial is short and brilliant. It's from 2022.
There also was a sole survivor "good brother" in the Halderson case.

Verity A. Beck will remain at the Norristown State Hospital for an additional 60 days “for further evaluation for competency to stand trial,” Montgomery County Judge Gail A. Weilheimer wrote in a court order dated April 11.

The extended commitment for Beck was requested by defense lawyer Gregory L. Nester, co-chief deputy public defender and chief of the pretrial unit in the Montgomery County Public Defender’s Office.

“The court has made no ruling on her competency to stand trial and at my request, I asked that her commitment be extended for 60 days for further evaluation,” Nester told MediaNews Group.

Court documents show Beck is now slated to appear before Magisterial District Judge JAP on June 23.

Per the article, VB has been determined to be competent to move forward with court proceedings. She is facing charges of first- and third-degree murder and possessing an instrument of crime.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back