PA - Reid and Miriam Beck, Dismembered by daughter Verity Beck, Jenkintown, January 18, 2023

Prosecutors have asked the court to allow them to introduce evidence at trial showing the defendant’s financial issues, including a bankruptcy in 2020. They say the bankruptcy shows her “need for money and financial security.” Prosecutors also point to what they describe as “angry” text messages to Beck from her parents after they discovered unauthorized purchases and a missing check.

In a court filing, prosecutors allege Beck “wanted money she didn’t have so she took it.” They go on to say, when her father figured it out, “Instead of facing the music, she called a gun store, then drove there to buy two guns.”

More detailed report from the Pottstown Mercury:
During the investigation, detectives learned that Verity Beck filed for bankruptcy for a total of $114,059 on May 5, 2020, including about $89,000 owed to the Department of Education and about $25,000 owed to credit card companies, according to court documents. The bankruptcy was finalized on Aug. 17, 2020.

Detectives learned that just days before the victims were murdered their Wells Fargo Bank account was compromised with alleged unauthorized debits totaling more than $2,000, according to court documents. Bank records allegedly showed that Reid Beck filed a dispute claim report and that a large majority of the disputed unauthorized debits pertained to Amazon.com purchases and that the unauthorized Amazon transactions began before the murders and continued after the victims’ deaths.

Detectives allegedly uncovered Amazon purchases under Verity’s name but purchased with a Wells Fargo debit card in the name of Reid Beck. Included in the records was a purchase for a $1,097 necklace, according to court documents.

On Jan. 5, at 8:43 a.m. Reid Beck sent a group text message to his wife and Verity saying, “I just got an alert my bank balance is overdrawn.” At 8:52 a.m. Reid Beck sent another text to his wife and Verity saying, “Call me. 5 purchases today. One for $1097.00.”

According to court papers, at 8:47 a.m. on Jan. 6, Reid Beck sent a text to Verity saying, “Call me. I reported the Amazon purchases as fraud. The police will be contacting you. Dad.”

More detailed report from the Pottstown Mercury:

During the investigation, detectives learned that Verity Beck filed for bankruptcy for a total of $114,059 on May 5, 2020, including about $89,000 owed to the Department of Education and about $25,000 owed to credit card companies, according to court documents. The bankruptcy was finalized on Aug. 17, 2020.

Detectives learned that just days before the victims were murdered their Wells Fargo Bank account was compromised with alleged unauthorized debits totaling more than $2,000, according to court documents. Bank records allegedly showed that Reid Beck filed a dispute claim report and that a large majority of the disputed unauthorized debits pertained to Amazon.com purchases and that the unauthorized Amazon transactions began before the murders and continued after the victims’ deaths.

Detectives allegedly uncovered Amazon purchases under Verity’s name but purchased with a Wells Fargo debit card in the name of Reid Beck. Included in the records was a purchase for a $1,097 necklace, according to court documents.

On Jan. 5, at 8:43 a.m. Reid Beck sent a group text message to his wife and Verity saying, “I just got an alert my bank balance is overdrawn.” At 8:52 a.m. Reid Beck sent another text to his wife and Verity saying, “Call me. 5 purchases today. One for $1097.00.”

According to court papers, at 8:47 a.m. on Jan. 6, Reid Beck sent a text to Verity saying, “Call me. I reported the Amazon purchases as fraud. The police will be contacting you. Dad.”
Omg… to do this over Amazon purchases… just brutal!

She sounds like a compulsive spender and shopper. Wonder what the $89K to the DofEd was for.
ETA: maybe a klepto too.
IMO the 89K she owed to the DOE was almost certainly for student loans. For example, she might’ve had a $20K/year undergrad loan for four years of tuition/room and board, plus interest on the principal? She likely had at least a bachelors if she was actually hired as a special education teacher, as the news reports indicate (and not as, say, a paraprofessional who works with students but who is not actually credentialed as a teacher). If she had a graduate degree, it’s possible some of that DOE debt came from that too.

Last edited:
Heard this on KYW radio this afternoon: The trial has been delayed until October. Her public defender suffered a head injury and could not participate in jury selection, and they are going on medical leave due to the injury. A new public defender is going to take on the case, which will take a while to become familiar with, and the medical experts that the prosecution intends to call are not available to testify until October, hence the long delay which the prosecution agreed to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back