Parents pay kids for good grades

JBean said:
Some kids are just "C" students no matter how you slice it. My "A" kids got "A"'s because they could and it was expected. I didn't pay any of them, it was just unwritten. The notion of paying is hard for me to wrap my head around.
But my "C" student got "C"'s because that was just the best he could do.He got "A"'s in the subjects he excelled at, but in most subjects he was a "C" student and as long as there was a capital E for effort , that was enough for me.
So, of you guys that pay for grades, don't any of you have"C" students? If so, how do you pay them for grades? If they are "C" students do they get paid for their hard earned "C"?

I like the way you think!

Doesn't C mean Average anyway??.. I'm sure we all love our kids and feel they are special but most *people* in this world are "just average" anyway, no?

OneLostGrl said:
I like the way you think!

Doesn't C mean Average anyway??.. I'm sure we all love our kids and feel they are special but most *people* in this world are "just average" anyway, no?
Not in current schools - a C is pretty darn easy to get. I suppose I don't believe there is such a thing as only a C student (significantly below average intelligence and mental issues aside) - everyone has their strong and weak points, they can still be rewarded for their efforts in their strong points, and for maintaining some degree of effort in their weak points. Like anything, you have to personalize everything to the kid involved. But as another poster pointed out, education really is important, at least up to the high school level.

There is a formula for the style in which children learn that I read way back in the day...

With younger children it is better to teach many new concepts and work on what they are weak in (teaching to the weak points)

At a certain point (this is where memory fails me) it is more effective to teach to their strong points.

I think the "switch"was around middle school age?

Details said:
Not in current schools - a C is pretty darn easy to get. I suppose I don't believe there is such a thing as only a C student (significantly below average intelligence and mental issues aside) - everyone has their strong and weak points, they can still be rewarded for their efforts in their strong points, and for maintaining some degree of effort in their weak points. Like anything, you have to personalize everything to the kid involved. But as another poster pointed out, education really is important, at least up to the high school level.
I had one "C " student and I am proud of him. C's are not necessarily easy to get in all schools and in all class levels. At my 14 yo's middle school a C is 77% to 84%.
I totally agree that education is very very important.

julianne said:
I'm sure Idahomom was being sarcastic...hence the smiley with the winking eye.
Yes, I was. :)
I removed it soon afterward because I was worried it might be taken the wrong way. I often go back and reread, and decide that alot of what I write might be misconstrued, so I edit...:crazy:
JBean- no offense intended. All I was saying is that there isn't necessarily one perfect way to parent, and we all have our opinions on what we feel is best. All we can do is what we feel is right.

IdahoMom said:
JBean- no offense intended. All I was saying is that there isn't necessarily one perfect way to parent, and we all have our opinions on what we feel is best. All we can do is what we feel is right.
I agree with you Idaho :blowkiss:

Ok. I am watching a Jay Leno rerun right now and he is doing his hilarious Jay Walking segment. The last interviewee was a charming young woman who is a high school graduate and I think she said she did some college (FYI she was white, well dressed and manicured, seemingly confident). Apparently she couldn't answer any 6th, 5th, or 4th grade level questions so Jay pulled out one for 2nd graders. "In which continent is Egypt located?" Not only could the woman not answer correctly but she really had absolutely NO IDEA! She finally guessed South America and then NORTH AMERICA (!!!!) Once told the answer was Africa she was totally surprised. OK, so how does one manage to go through an entire education system and not know something as basic as this?? I get college students who have no idea where the Mediterranean is located. What is wrong with this picture?

I would have loved to ask her if her parents paid her for good grades or not :crazy:

Those Jay Walking segments are the funniest things ever! I CRACK UP watching those.

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm waiting for the day that my sweet little adorable powder puff comes to me and says she wants a tattoo in the small of her back. You know, the "TRAMP STAMP." :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is that what some people call tattoos..."tramp stamps?" I don't think a tattoo makes a girl look like a tramp. My almost 18 yr old granddaughter has a chinese symbol a little bit below her waist on one side. I didn't ask her what it meant and I didn't give permission for her to get it. A person who does tattoo's for a living did it in his home...he is a friend of her friend. I was pretty ticked off at first but then decided that she is the one who will have it for life and I also needed to pick my battles and decided to let that one go.
She has had her tongue pierced, her belly button pierced, ears twice on each side and the side of her nose. She HAD them...the earrings are all out now and the holes healed up! Just a fad for her. I didn't mind the piercings because I knew what would happen. But I did mind the tattoo because it is hers for the rest of her life.

JBean said:
I am only thinking about high school students. I'll have to reread this thread, to see if you guys pay the little ones too. At that age, they did everything i told them to, so they always got good grades.
Your kids did everything that you told them to as little ones! Let me pat you on the back!

When my daughter was three and in karate, they taught her all kinds of neat tricks to get away from bad guys. She practiced after class...

1. She knew how to break my "parental safety grip" in parking lots.

2. She was acting up, running away from me in KMart and I picked her up like a sack of potatoes to carry her - so she yelled "THIS IS NOT MY PARENT!" over and over again.

She survived, but oh my!

OneLostGrl said:
Because she *may* be sexually active before age 18- that would make her a tramp in your eyes?!?!?!
Disclaimer: I do not take life seriously, and everything I say is sarcastic and light - if you take a post of mine (ANY post of mine) as serious to any extent - you are just going to drive yourself nuts.

My daughter walks on water to me. Always will. No matter what.

But yeah - I've always thought sexually active youngsters were tramps. Still do. Otherwise, what is the definition of a little tramp?

Bobbisangel said:
Is that what some people call tattoos..."tramp stamps?" I don't think a tattoo makes a girl look like a tramp. My almost 18 yr old granddaughter has a chinese symbol a little bit below her waist on one side. I didn't ask her what it meant and I didn't give permission for her to get it. A person who does tattoo's for a living did it in his home...he is a friend of her friend. I was pretty ticked off at first but then decided that she is the one who will have it for life and I also needed to pick my battles and decided to let that one go.
She has had her tongue pierced, her belly button pierced, ears twice on each side and the side of her nose. She HAD them...the earrings are all out now and the holes healed up! Just a fad for her. I didn't mind the piercings because I knew what would happen. But I did mind the tattoo because it is hers for the rest of her life.

lol, around here they literally get tramp stamps, the word tramp stamped on the back of their shoulders :eek:

GlitchWizard said:
Your kids did everything that you told them to as little ones! Let me pat you on the back!

When my daughter was three and in karate, they taught her all kinds of neat tricks to get away from bad guys. She practiced after class...

She survived, but oh my!
:laugh: yes all 5 of the boys did everything I told them all the time.Guess I should have put that little laughing icon next to my sentence.

JBean said:
Some kids are just "C" students no matter how you slice it. My "A" kids got "A"'s because they could and it was expected. I didn't pay any of them, it was just unwritten. The notion of paying is hard for me to wrap my head around.
But my "C" student got "C"'s because that was just the best he could do.He got "A"'s in the subjects he excelled at, but in most subjects he was a "C" student and as long as there was a capital E for effort , that was enough for me.
So, of you guys that pay for grades, don't any of you have"C" students? If so, how do you pay them for grades? If they are "C" students do they get paid for their hard earned "C"?

My kids get progress reports from their teachers every six weeks. If at that time they're getting a grade that they want to improve, they have the opportunity to do so. My son last year (7th grade) was taking pre-AP math. He was getting a "C" on his progress report, so we knew that there was something going on in that class that needed some attention. He began going to tutorials every morning and my husband and myself and his teacher began paying more attention to making sure that he understood the assignments he received each day. By the time his report card came, he got an "A" for that class. He never worked so hard for a grade in his life. He earned that grade the hard way - so, he got a bonus from me that report card. Some kids are "C" students. But some "C" students can apply themselves a little more and become "B" students.

Bobbisangel said:
Is that what some people call tattoos..."tramp stamps?"
I think Jeana meant the tattoos girls get where the top of their thong is exposed when they wear low rise jeans.:eek: :innocent:

Come to think of it, I haven't seen very many low rise jeans lately...please tell me they're passe'!

Juliana said:
Here's my 2 cents. My younger brother and I were raised in a home where education was not emphasized by any means. Neither my brother nor I went to college for any length of time. However, I did very well in my career because I'm a girl and got an administrative job in the real estate dept of a major retailer and I spoke up with my ideas on store locations, etc, and they let me actually progress to where I picked real estate sites, negotiated leases, etc. My brother on the other hand, without a degree, has toiled and worked his *advertiser censored* off, for one menial job after another. No one will give him a chance because he does not have a degree. He nows struggles to afford a home within a reasonable and safe school district so that HIS SON will not have the same worries and struggles he has. Sometimes it doesn't have to do with being wealthy, it has to do with being safe and just merely getting by. I believe parents are obligated to stress the importance of education and to provide the means for the child to get that education (college) so long as the child is responsible and appreciative. So if paying for good grades helps in that regard, more power to ya! In our family, the kids pick a prize they would like at the beginning of each grading cycle. If they get straight A's, they get the prize. If not, they don't. More times than not, they don't get the prize, but when they do, it's a party and they feel GOOD! Same as in real life, right?

imo

EXCELLENT!!!!!

Bobbisangel said:

No, that's not what they call people with tattoos. Its what they call those tattoos right above their butts in the middle of the back. I think they call it that because when they were first popular, it was usually worn by too low slung pants and thong underwear sticking out the top. I have nothing against tattoos or the people who get them.

Details said:
It depends on the schools. In many private schools, C is a respectable grade and not a breeze to earn. And let's not forget that our President was a C student.

Cypros said:
Ok. I am watching a Jay Leno rerun right now and he is doing his hilarious Jay Walking segment. The last interviewee was a charming young woman who is a high school graduate and I think she said she did some college (FYI she was white, well dressed and manicured, seemingly confident). Apparently she couldn't answer any 6th, 5th, or 4th grade level questions so Jay pulled out one for 2nd graders. "In which continent is Egypt located?" Not only could the woman not answer correctly but she really had absolutely NO IDEA! She finally guessed South America and then NORTH AMERICA (!!!!) Once told the answer was Africa she was totally surprised. OK, so how does one manage to go through an entire education system and not know something as basic as this?? I get college students who have no idea where the Mediterranean is located. What is wrong with this picture?

I would have loved to ask her if her parents paid her for good grades or not :crazy:
We Americans are NOT known for being geography-literate, that's for sure. In 7th grade I took a class called GAWA (Geography and World Affairs) - I learned so much about things going on outside the borders of my own country...but I don't think this class is standard fare in most schools.

GlitchWizard said:
Disclaimer: I do not take life seriously, and everything I say is sarcastic and light - if you take a post of mine (ANY post of mine) as serious to any extent - you are just going to drive yourself nuts.

My daughter walks on water to me. Always will. No matter what.

But yeah - I've always thought sexually active youngsters were tramps. Still do. Otherwise, what is the definition of a little tramp?
Tramp is slang for a prostitute or for a person who is sexually promiscuous, so I think a sexually active youngster who isn't turning tricks or taking on numerous partners doesn't qualify!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherriS
Back