Penn State athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child rape case #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, keep in mind, the most popular face of the university still reported up to someone. Spanier forced Paterno into the spotlight. Paterno despised press conferences but there he was... every Tuesday... He didn't want to be a spokesperson, he wanted to be a football coach. He had only as much power as the man behind the curtain allowed him to have... The perception of the power of Paterno is much greater than the real power he wielded.

respectful snip

Can't quite agree here; in 2009, Paterno made $200,000 more than Spanier, the university president - that speaks volumes about who was in charge of issues involving Joe Paterno. Also, in 2004, Spanier, AD Curley, and others asked Paterno to step down, and he refused to quit - and that was that.

see Deadspin's Joe Paterno’s 2009 Compensation Was $200,000 Higher Than The PSU President’s, And Other Grotesqueries
for both of the examples above of JoePa's power over Penn State University officials. Paterno only used the chain of command when it was in his interest to do so.

Scorprising, I agree with much of what you are saying. I think Paterno did report it to the higher ups. And then went back to his job. Sure, in hindsight he may have done more. But I think it is unfair to lay this all out on him. imoo

The people who deserve scorn are those that LIED to the grand jury to try and cover for this sick perv.

~Respectfully Snipped~

The perception of the power of Paterno is much greater than the real power he wielded.

I have a problem believing the winingest coach in college football history was nothing more than a puppet of the school administration, particularily, in matters relating to his own assistant coach.

Sorry. When I saw him during the game he had his pullover off and had on a white shirt. Interesting that his message is that he's proud of his dad.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ate-nittany-lions-focus-game-day-amid-turmoil

Vs. Tom Bradley (all in blue) who says he is proud of the players.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ate-nittany-lions-focus-game-day-amid-turmoil

From your link:

Fans cheered when his wife, Sue Paterno, blew them kisses and thanked them for their support during what she called a "difficult week" for her and her family.

Oh no! The Paterno's have had a difficult week. Unbelievable. She doesn't get it either!

Scorprising, I agree with much of what you are saying. I think Paterno did report it to the higher ups. And then went back to his job. Sure, in hindsight he may have done more. But I think it is unfair to lay this all out on him. imoo

The people who deserve scorn are those that LIED to the grand jury to try and cover for this sick perv.

I agree. I think you missed the point I was making. Paterno, at this moment, has my FULL support based on the evidence we know.

I've had people throw the "He admitted he should have done more" in my face to which I respond... Isn't that what all human beings do? We look at what we could have done differently.

Me, I struggle daily with the notion I could have made a phone call three months before a suicide that would’ve changed everything. I could’ve been there, I could’ve changed the outcome and I should’ve saved my friend. I didn't. I can't be charged as an accomplice in his death...

I have a problem believing the winingest coach in college football history was nothing more than a puppet of the school administration, particularily, in matters relating to his own assistant coach.

If you worked closely with someone for 20 years, and then a young assistant comes and says he thinks he may have seen something squirrely going on---wouldn't you give your friend and assistant coach of two decades a chance to answer the charges? I would. And people like that are very good at lying and deceiving and making excuses. People walked in on my uncle abusing me and he was quick to cover it up and make it look like something more innocent. He was a great liar. I am assuming this guy was the same. Otherwise he would not have been able to carry on for so long like that. I think it is unfair to assume that others were purposely enabling him. I think it is more likley they were being deceived. imoo

He was no longer his assistant coach. The perv retired in 99. Paterno was no longer responsible for him. Those that granted emeritus status were.

I agree. I think you missed the point I was making. Paterno, at this moment, has my FULL support based on the evidence we know.

I've had people throw the "He admitted he should have done more" in my face to which I respond... Isn't that what all human beings do? We look at what we could have done differently.

Me, I struggle daily with the notion I could have made a phone call three months before a suicide that would’ve changed everything. I could’ve been there, I could’ve changed the outcome and I should’ve saved my friend. I didn't. I can't be charged as an accomplice in his death...

No, I wasn't talking to you when I said people were mistaken. I was agreeing with your stance, and saying others were missing the point. I did not mean to make it appear that I was referring to your position when I said that. I fully understood your position.

While I'd agree that it might give one pause to accept the word of a 28-year-old grad assistant (albeit one who had been a part of the PSU athletic department since his freshman year in college, and a starting quarterback who led the offense in 1997 - a quarterback, in whom one's coach must place the greatest of faith), I also think that stories about Sandusky had spread long before this inicident occurred, and that the reporting of this incident would have triggered in me the reflex to call in law enforcement. This couldn't have been much of a surprise. Paterno sent it up the chain of command and, Pilate-like, washed his hands of it.

Now read the rest of the article... There's a page 2.

I did read page 2, but you are correct in that I should have said "the last sentence on page 1" in my post.

However, I see nothing on either page that doesn't support an encompassing awareness style of management and coaching.

How is it even remotely logical that someone with this drive wouldn't see a frequent presense of young boys at team functions, bowl game trips, and team facilities? Considering this, how could he not KNOW the truth of what the janitor and McQueary saw?

If he KNEW the truth, what kind of person allows it to continue?

From your link:

Oh no! The Paterno's have had a difficult week. Unbelievable. She doesn't get it either!
Do you honestly believe that the entire Penn State community doesn't get it? She's thanking them for their support. They have mentioned the victims on other occassions. I'm not quite sure what to make of all this. Yes, it's ok to be angry because more wasn't done...but do we know more than what we've read in the indictment? We can speculate and even crucify...heck...let's go after every team member that went through PSU during Sandusky's tenure. Surely, they MUST have known something was going on. And while we're at it...why don't we hold on to hate for those in the Church who MUST have known about all those predators...heck, I imagine even way up to the Pope. I don't see how being angry at an elderly woman will make what Sandusky did easier to take. But, this woman did NOT abuse those boys. IMO, let's keep the focus on those who will be tried for the crime.

He was no longer his assistant coach. The perv retired in 99. Paterno was no longer responsible for him. Those that granted emeritus status were.

I've read about several child rapers being granted "emeritus status" and then sent on their way. It's all settled and over with.

oxoxox
Woulda, coulda, shoulda(s) can kill ya. There's no way to undo the past...I wish you peace for the future.

I heard Aaron Taylor say this quote on ESPN today and it seems to fit perfectly...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

bbm

Yes, he was. There is a human code of ethics and caring and moral responsibility, regardless of manmade laws. I don't want to go through life wondering if I've done my "legal and minimum" requirement as a citizen of Virginia and the USA, but I want to go to my grave knowing that never was I knowingly aware that a child (or anyone) was being abused and did not call LE. Myself. Regardless if it was my "legal" responsibility. It is a moral responsibility.

What I want to ask those students supporting Paterno and any others who knew is this: what if that were YOUR child? To a young boy that must feel like a baseball bat... :furious:... And the other offenses. Sick. What if it were YOU? Wouldn't you want someone to care about YOU and not whether or not they were legally REQUIRED to do something?

ETA: Saying that it was not Paterno's responsibility and that he did all that he could do and all that he was REQUIRED to do is like saying that someone passing a rape on the street should just keep going and not call LE, because they're not legally required to do so. Or maybe go to work and tell their boss... I won't even get started on McQueary.

(Scorp, I'm not bashing you personally, really. But it's just this sentiment in general and I'm bouncing off your post...)

ETA again: Let's change the scenario a little. What if it were a janitor that McQueary had seen and reported to Paterno. Would he have contacted LE then? I believe so.

If I hadn't had the other part of my life—my family and the Second Mile—I would've been a head coach."

Probably.

Still, Paterno is the boss—Sandusky doesn't expect Paterno to solicit his opinion about who should follow him as coordinator—and no doubt part of Sandusky's reason for retiring is that he's tired of being second banana. He's not even coy about his desire still to run a program, any program, perhaps a Division III team or, don't laugh, a midget league basketball team.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

While I'd agree that it might give one pause to accept the word of a 28-year-old grad assistant (albeit one who had been a part of the PSU athletic department since his freshman year in college, and a starting quarterback who led the offense for two seasons, 1996 and 1997 - a quarterback, in whom one's coach must place the greatest of faith), I also think that stories about Sandusky had spread long before this inicident occurred, and that reporting of this incident would have triggered in me the reflex to call in law enforcement. This couldn't have been much of a surprise. Paterno sent it up the chain of command and, Pilate-like, washed his hands of it.

True, agreed about the need for calling Law Enforcement. But that is essentially what Paterno was doing by telling the University President. I worked in the public school system for years. So I was also a mandated reporter, and had to inform my higher ups if I had any reason to suspect abuse of a student. But that was what i was supposed to do--contact a superior and make my report. I did not personally contact LE, but made a required report to my principal, who was legally required to do so. I believe that is what Paterno was required to do as well. Make a formal report to his superior. And a report was made and the DA did look into it. It is unfair to say that Paterno washed his hands of it. imoo

respectful snip

Can't quite agree here; in 2009, Paterno made $200,000 more than Spanier, the university president - that speaks volumes about who was in charge of issues involving Joe Paterno. Also, in 2004, Spanier, AD Curley, and others asked Paterno to step down, and he refused to quit - and that was that.

see Deadspin's Joe Paterno’s 2009 Compensation Was $200,000 Higher Than The PSU President’s, And Other Grotesqueries
for both of the examples above of JoePa's power over Penn State University officials. Paterno only used the chain of command when it was in his interest to do so.

Respectfully quoting:

It's not only PSU... It's many, many places.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11015/1118218-142.stm

Do you really think the size of the salary determines who's in charge? Personal example: My dad and his co-workers (the grunts) probably all make double what their boss makes and probably a little more than their bosses boss. Does that mean they're more powerful? Nope, they still have to follow the ridiculous policies outlined for them or face consequences.

Respectfully quoting:

It's not only PSU... It's many, many places.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11015/1118218-142.stm

Do you really think the size of the salary determines who's in charge? Personal example: My dad and his co-workers (the grunts) probably all make double what their boss makes and probably a little more than their bosses boss. Does that mean they're more powerful? Nope, they still have to follow the ridiculous policies outlined for them or face consequences.

I certainly do in this case. Campus officials wanted Paterno out seven years ago. Instead, the Board of Trustees wound up firing him last Friday, after reaction to the grand jury presentment had made PSU synonymous with, at best, cover-ups, and, at worst if most truthfully, with child rape. JoePa certainly showed them, didn't he.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther