Penn State Sandusky-Report of the Special Investigative Counsel

Corbett got the Jerry Sandusky case right

http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-...usky-case-ben-andreozzi-serial-child-predator

Louis Freeh's report on Penn State and the Jerry Sandusky case is notable partly for a criticism that it doesn't make: The former FBI director found no fault with Tom Corbett's handling of the criminal probe that ultimately brought down the serial child predator. That's because Corbett got it right.

Some of the commentary that followed last week's release of the report accused the governor and former attorney general of sitting on his hands by not arresting Sandusky after the first victim came forward. In fact, a reporter brought up the issue hours after the report's release, asking Corbett if he should have acted more quickly............

In my career as an advocate, I have seen too many single-accuser cases fail after an aggressive defense lawyer plants the seeds of confusion and doubt in a jury. Some of Sandusky's victims have said they would not have come forward if other victims were not expected to testify. They needed the strength of numbers. And when they realized the extent of Sandusky's predation, they felt not only the strength to testify, but also the duty........

To take down a pillar of the community, you need a jackhammer of a case. Corbett understood that. And when the complaint reached him — unlike others who had suspicions about Sandusky's crimes over the years or even witnessed them — Corbett acted..........

"The more prestigious the guy is, the more respected the guy is, the more complex the case is going to be," Lanning told me. "What made it [the Sandusky case] a successful prosecution is that they didn't rely on one victim. They found eight."..................

Corbett OK'd a $3 million grant to the Second Mile after becoming governor. AFTER he'd investigated Sandusky and moved on the the Governor's mansion.

I disagree with the article.

He gets no credit from this quarter.

Ex-chairman of Penn State board of trustees quits
By MICHAEL RUBINKAM, AP
12 hours ago

The former chairman of the Penn State board of trustees resigned on Thursday, becoming the first board member to do so in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

Steve Garban was harshly criticized over his handling of the crisis that engulfed Penn State after Sandusky's arrest last November, and he faced persistent calls from alumni and fellow board members to step down.

An internal investigation by former FBI Director Louis Freeh found that Garban was briefed twice about developments in the Sandusky case but didn't share what he knew with the entire board, depriving trustees of a chance to prepare for the worst crisis in Penn State's 157-year history...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-cfb/20120720/20120719213833430871108/

Corbett OK'd a $3 million grant to the Second Mile after becoming governor. AFTER he'd investigated Sandusky and moved on the the Governor's mansion.

I disagree with the article.

He gets no credit from this quarter.

Well, at that point, there were no criminal charges and I'm not sure if anyone from Second Mile had testified. As Governor, Corbett no longer had access to the investigation.

Well, at that point, there were no criminal charges and I'm not sure if anyone from Second Mile had testified. As Governor, Corbett no longer had access to the investigation.

the fact that he conducted an investigation means that he had an opportunity to find the truth of a matter.

he then funneled money into an entity headed by someone he had investigated.

money that supported support the entities children related activity, after investigating the head for sexual abuse of a child.

right?

I think his personally appointed AG Linda Kelly would keep him apprised of the situation.

I think his personally appointed AG Linda Kelly would keep him apprised of the situation.

Absolutely not. In PA, they are totally separted. The Governor get's to fill vacancies, with State Senate approval, but that is where it ends. He can't fire her, and I think it violates statute to share that information.

You've got to remember that Curley and Schultz didn't even testify until January 2011 and that they didn't even know about Penn State involvement until November 2010; they literally didn't know anything ever happened there.

Corbett was out, I think, by the time the TSM connection became known. They also didn't have the emails until 2012.

Absolutely not. In PA, they are totally separted. The Governor get's to fill vacancies, with State Senate approval, but that is where it ends. He can't fire her, and I think it violates statute to share that information.

You've got to remember that Curley and Schultz didn't even testify until January 2011 and that they didn't even know about Penn State involvement until November 2010; they literally didn't know anything ever happened there.

Corbett was out, I think, by the time the TSM connection became known. They also didn't have the emails until 2012.

That's right. The AG's office did not know about the 1998 or 2001 incidents until an investigator ran a search of some kind of police database in November of 2010. According to the Freeh report, the AG's office had issued a subpoena in January of 2010 for Sandusky's personal records. I guess there must have been no record of either 98 or 01 in the file that Penn State turned over to the AG's office, or they still hadn't turned over his records by November.

Either way, it's clear the Penn State administration was less than cooperative with the AG's investigation.

That's right. The AG's office did not know about the 1998 or 2001 incidents until an investigator ran a search of some kind of police database in November of 2010. According to the Freeh report, the AG's office had issued a subpoena in January of 2010 for Sandusky's personal records. I guess there must have been no record of either 98 or 01 in the file that Penn State turned over to the AG's office, or they still hadn't turned over his records by November.

Either way, it's clear the Penn State administration was less than cooperative with the AG's investigation.

Couple with that that the ex-LE people had no idea Sandusky was being investigated in regard to the 1998 incident until the AG's Office told them.

I think the TSM connection had been made while Corbett was involved.

Everyone knew Sandusky was bringing Second Mile kids to games and the showers for years. Where else could Sandusky have been getting all these boys? He knew.

I think the TSM connection had been made while Corbett was involved.

Everyone knew Sandusky was bringing Second Mile kids to games and the showers for years. Where else could Sandusky have been getting all these boys? He knew.

He knew that Sandusky headed it, but not that they'd been informed. They were in 2001, but not in 1998.

He funded Sandusky's Victim Farm after he knew it was a victim farm. Inexcusable from any angle. I'm reading some comments under articles about the Paterno statue having been removed. I'm not alone in thinking Corbett needs to answer for his inaction.

If everyone hasn't heard- the Paterno statue has been removed. Under a cover, which is apropos.

He funded Sandusky's Victim Farm after he knew it was a victim farm. Inexcusable from any angle. I'm reading some comments under articles about the Paterno statue having been removed. I'm not alone in thinking Corbett needs to answer for his inaction.

If everyone hasn't heard- the Paterno statue has been removed. Under a cover, which is apropos.

Statue of Joe Paterno taken down
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...enn-State-coach-Joe-Paterno-taken-down-072212

AS IT SHOULD

Now all the others need to be punished too.
And PA should not have a ball team for a long while
unless it is totally re-staffed, and all the profits go to sex abuse organizations.

NO TOLARANCE FOR ANY ABUSE OF CHILDREN

JJ, or anyone:

Do you know anything about ties that Ed Savitz might have had to The Second Mile?

Savitz died in a hospice in Philadelphia area, transferred there from jail. Was in jail awaiting prosecution by then-DA Lynne Abraham for a similar rampage of sex abuse charges involving young boys in the tri-state area (PA, NJ, NY). 1992.

Also, anyone know who selected Lynne Abraham to provide legal services to TSM, including their internal investigation? I'm thinking someone either knew of her work on the Savitz case and thought that a good qualification. Or, thought there might be a direct criminal connection between Savitz and Sandusky/TSM.

JJ, or anyone:

Do you know anything about ties that Ed Savitz might have had to The Second Mile?

Savitz died in a hospice in Philadelphia area, transferred there from jail. Was in jail awaiting prosecution by then-DA Lynne Abraham for a similar rampage of sex abuse charges involving young boys in the tri-state area (PA, NJ, NY). 1992.

Also, anyone know who selected Lynne Abraham to provide legal services to TSM, including their internal investigation? I'm thinking someone either knew of her work on the Savitz case and thought that a good qualification. Or, thought there might be a direct criminal connection between Savitz and Sandusky/TSM.

I was still living in the Johnstown area when Savitz was arrested, but made news there. The only thing I saw was he took one of his victims to a Second Mile function in 1979. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i...tz-associate-jerry-sandusky-article-1.1115909

A lot of people knew Sandusky or were involved in TSM.

Thanks, JJ

Following up on your link, I found this:

PA Governor Ed Rendell Pedophile Cover Up 1980: Ed "Fast Eddie" Savitz
Submitted by Greg Bucceroni on November 29, 2011 - 7:59pm.

11-24-2011

PA Governor Ed Rendell Pedophile Cover Up 1980: Ed "Fast Eddie" Savitz

From: Greg Bucceroni, Victim of adolescent sexual abuse & exploitation 1977-1980

Former Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rednell and his political association with wealthy politically connected pedophile businessman Ed "Fast Eddie" Savitz back in 1977 thru 1980 while Ed Rendell
was the Philadelphia District Attorney and the political cover up that followed.

Link:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-tomalis-impeach-corbett-and-rendell/comments
________

Greg Bucceroni also said he asked Lynne Abraham in Dec, 2011 if his charges filed against Savitz were included in the case pending against him when he died. She couldn't remember. That was after she was hired on by The Second Mile to do their legal work/internal investigation into Sandusky matters.

Bucceroni has been doing volunteer presence-on-the-street type work with the Phillie DA's office. Was police officer; victim crimes officer; school and transportation policing work. Trying to clean up the areas around Nicetown-Ticoga, Kensington, Temple University, etc.

It appears Corbett and Kelly are quite familiar with each other, since 1976. He even states in this article, and others, how he'll bring her up to speed.
http://paindependent.com/2011/02/corbett-names-linda-kelly-to-succeed-him-as-attorney-general/

From Wikipedia:
Occupants of elected Pennsylvania Attorney General office

Name Attorney General term
LeRoy S. Zimmerman 1981–1989
Ernie Preate 1989–1995
Tom Corbett 1995–1997
Mike Fisher 1997–2004
Jerry Pappert 2004–2005
Tom Corbett 2005–2011
William Ryan (acting) 2011
Linda Kelly 2011–present

Corbett has been around the OAG for a long time.

Personally, I feel people knew about Sandusky long before 1998. Raping boys in the PSU locker room sounds like the activity of a seasoned pedophile, not just his first time. No one has ever stated if Paterno was surprised in his discussions with Curley. Maybe he wasn't. I came across an article from 1995 with Sandusky saying he would hold the record for most wins or seasons by an assistant coach. I would't state this is proof of anything, just curious.
I don't mean to be inflammatory, but the argument concerning Corbett sounds a lot like what was said about Paterno.

It appears Corbett and Kelly are quite familiar with each other, since 1976. He even states in this article, and others, how he'll bring her up to speed.
http://paindependent.com/2011/02/corbett-names-linda-kelly-to-succeed-him-as-attorney-general/

I'm sure they knew each other; I don't see that as an issue

From Wikipedia:
Occupants of elected Pennsylvania Attorney General office

Name Attorney General term
LeRoy S. Zimmerman 1981–1989
Ernie Preate 1989–1995
Tom Corbett 1995–1997
Mike Fisher 1997–2004
Jerry Pappert 2004–2005
Tom Corbett 2005–2011
William Ryan (acting) 2011
Linda Kelly 2011–present

Corbett has been around the OAG for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

Corbett has a pretty big gap for about 8 years; he was not with the office prior to that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ServerNotResponding
Back