Penn State Sandusky-Report of the Special Investigative Counsel

I find that really interesting-at what time are people willing to give a pass??

If I am as dispassionate as I can possibly be, and IF I choose to believe that JoPa knew nothing prior to 1998 (although he told Freeh's investigators that he had heard rumors) I think that you have to count the number of assaults by Jer from 1998 after...and decide if he deserves the accolades. Because, at a minimum, Jer would not have been able to use PennState as his bait. At least as obviously.

Jer used Penn state as his bait-isnt that something? In spite of his fantasy world in his head, no one really wanted him at all. Sorry, o/t for a moment.

I find that really interesting-at what time are people willing to give a pass??

If I am as dispassionate as I can possibly be, and IF I choose to believe that JoPa knew nothing prior to 1998 (although he told Freeh's investigators that he had heard rumors) I think that you have to count the number of assaults by Jer from 1998 after...and decide if he deserves the accolades. Because, at a minimum, Jer would not have been able to use PennState as his bait. At least as obviously.

I think you mean 2001. Paterno knew 1998, just after it happened, but there is no suggestion he knew about any pre-1998 stuff. He knew about 1998 in 2001.

Jer used Penn state as his bait-isnt that something? In spite of his fantasy world in his head, no one really wanted him at all. Sorry, o/t for a moment.

whaaat? the board tells him not to bring guests to the locker room?

that's it?

unbelievable! (I am still reading)

Statement from the Board of Trustees:

Today with the report released by Judge Louis Freeh, the Penn State Board of Trustees delivered on the commitment we made last November when we engaged Judge Freeh to conduct an independent investigation into the University's actions regarding former Penn State employee, Jerry Sandusky, and the handling of allegations of the child abuse crimes of which he has since been found guilty.

Judge Freeh and his team conducted a rigorous, eight-month investigation into all aspects of the University's actions to determine where breakdowns occurred and what changes should be made for the future. We like many others have eagerly anticipated Judge Freeh's Report of the findings of his investigation.

His report has just been released at http://thefreehreportonpsu.com/ and we currently are reviewing his findings and recommendations. We expect a comprehensive analysis of our policies, procedures and controls related to identifying and reporting crimes and misconduct, including failures or gaps that may have allowed alleged misconduct to go undetected or unreported. We will provide our initial response later today.

We want to ensure we are giving the report careful scrutiny and consideration before making any announcements or recommendations. We are convening an internal team comprising the Board of Trustees, University administration and our legal counsel to begin analyzing the report and digesting Judge Freeh's findings.

As we anticipate the review and approval process will take some time, our initial response and immediate next steps will be presented at 3:30 at the Dayton/Taylor Conference Room at the Hilton Scranton & Conference Center.

These top-line reactions will provide an overview of our process for developing and implementing a plan once we have studied the report and have a better understanding of what it means and how we can implement findings to strengthen Penn State's role as a leading academic institution and ensure that what occurred will never be allowed to happen again.

I think you mean 2001. Paterno knew 1998, just after it happened. He knew about 1998 in 2001.

I think we are saying the same thing. To me, all roads lead to those brave two boys who were interviewed and the mom who got Jer to talk about it while investigators were listening. If JoPa was following the investigation into the 1998 incident closely, then he must have known about Jer's virtual confession I would think.

I mean, Jer went to the child's baseball games. He tried repeatedly to contact him.

I may be confused, but then by the time 2001 rolled around, they should have jumped to report to LE, but Freeh's report implies that JoPa's intervention changed the plan to notify Second Mile and DW...do I have that timeline correct?

whaaat? the board tells him not to bring guests to the locker room?

that's it?

unbelievable! (I am still reading)

Yup-clear as mud. And how about the decisionmaking regarding his tickets to the games...football and BB?

Yeah, no one knew. Riiight. Hat's off to the ones that started this all.

the whole situation is utterly disgusting.

if this is what power and money can buy a person I will be weak and penniless gladly.

Penn State was famous for not having their players' names on the back of their uniforms.

Penn State should now be infamous for having their administrators' prison numbers on the back of theirs.

I was out this morning and haven't had much time to read all the news articles about the investigative findings, but I'm "listening" to In Session and will make an effort to catch up on the report today. In recent weeks, it seemed that the Paterno family tried desperately to turn attention away from Joe having any knowledge of Sandusky's sexual proclivities, and I found myself thinking that they "protested too much".

Sadly, Joe Paterno's Penn State legacy has been forever tarnished. He had the opportunity to become a hero and do what was morally right by reporting Sandusky's "crimes", but he put football first, allowed the behavior to continue, and made every effort to conceal what he knew and gave others the green light to hide it, as well :furious:

Admin gave me the go ahead to start a separate thread so that posters can help one another with pieces of the report, MSM articles and twitter feeds etc as everything is dissected.

As in the Grand Jury Indictment and the trial, there is graphic information contained within the report.

Bring over posts you would like included on this thread.

:banghead:

I'm bringing this over since it was the subject of such a protracted debate on the other thread about Paterno being a mandated reporter and Schultz being a proper legal channel of communication for that reporting. Freeh's report is very specific (pg. 118):

The Special Investigative Counsel found no indication that Paterno, Curley and McQueary met their responsibilities as CSAs by reporting, or ensuring that someone reported, this incident to the University Police Department. As a result, no timely warning could have been issued to the University community and the incident was not included in the University's Clery Crime statistics for 2001.
McQueary, Paterno and Curley did report the incident to Schultz who, as SVP-FB, was ultimately in charge of the University Police Department. However, Schultz was not a law enforcement officer and was not the person designated to receive Clery Crime reports or to collect Clery Crime statistics for the University.
Arguably, as the most senior leaders of the University, Schultz and Spanier should have ensured compliance with the Clery Act regarding this incident. There is no record that Spanier or Schultz reported, or designated someone to report, the incident to the University Police Department, which should have caused the incident to be included in the University's Clery Crime statistics and may have triggered the issuance of a timely warning to the University community.

Update (1:21 p.m. EDT): After having switched to public access the moment the report was released at 9 a.m., the TVs in the student center did eventually show the Freeh Group's 10 a.m. press conference.
Deadspin

Penn State was famous for not having their players' names on the back of their uniforms.

Penn State should now be infamous for having their administrators' prison numbers on the back of theirs.

BBM: Yep ... I knew nothing about Penn State UNTIL this !

:waitasec: 1 down ... 3 to go ...

:waiting: for Spanier :behindbar
:waiting: for Schultz :behindbar
:waiting: for Curley :behindbar

:cow:

just reported on the scott van pelt (espn) show that NIKE has taken joe paterno's name off a building that was nam3ed after him on its campus, and that Phil Knight mad ea a statement that he was apparently wrong in his support of paterno after his death. knight, the president of nike, made an impassio0ned speech in support of paterno at his funeral..appaerently even phil gets it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-nike-change-name-paterno-172013250--ncaaf.html

incidentially the co host on van pelts show just called on the paterno fami9ly to stop issuing statements in support of joe, that they were not hgelping him

as i said, they are deluded and hurting his already disturbed image at this point.

just reported on the scott van pelt (espn) show that NIKE has taken joe paterno's name off a building that was named after him on its campus, and that Phil Knight mad ea a statement that he was apparently wrong in his support of paterno after his death. knight, the president of nike, made an impassio0ned speech in support of paterno at his funeral..appaerently even phil gets it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-nike-change-name-paterno-172013250--ncaaf.html

Snipped and RBBM : :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

And THANKS for this update !

:moo:

July 12, 2012, 1:09 pm

Freeh Report: Did Joe Paterno conceal the abuse?
Louis Freeh on if Joe Paterno used his power as head football coach to concealed reports of the rapes.
07/12/12

After Jerry Sandusky was initially arrested, Joe Paterno issued a statement. In it, the former Penn State head coach said he wished “he had done more” to prevent what happened. Now we know he could have done more, quite a bit more, but knowingly failed to do so.

In November, Penn State’s Board of Trustees empowered Former FBI director Louis Freeh and his law firm to conduct an independent investigation concerning the university’s involvement with, knowledge of, and culpability stemming from Sandusky’s criminal sexual activities. (Sandusky was recently convicted on 45 of 48 counts and is awaiting sentencing.) You can read the full findings here. The report is beyond damning – for the university, its most powerful leaders, its carefully crafted and once-pristine image, and particularly Paterno.

http://www.csnphilly.com/xfinity/No...39220&feedID=704&awid=7162790296513867767-689

HLN reporting that there will be a live press conference with Penn State officials. No specific time yet.

I may be confused, but then by the time 2001 rolled around, they should have jumped to report to LE, but Freeh's report implies that JoPa's intervention changed the plan to notify Second Mile and DW...do I have that timeline correct?

In 1998, it was reported, with no interference from the Big Four. Univ Police investigated, reported it to the DA's Office and DPW. DA's didn't press charges; DPW drops the investigation after that. In the process, the Univ Police informed the Big Four.

2001, McQueary reports it to Pateno, who reports to Curley, who reports it to Schultz and, eventually, to Spanier. The Big Four originally plan to report it to DPW, but backs off.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back