Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!

He had a pretty good thing going for himself, didn't he? And in an instant it's all going to be gone. What an amazingly destructive human being he is. Everything he "touched" ... wow, just wow!

Hopefully, this bail will be a "no bail", as he's just too dangerous to be wandering around.

Here is a creepy thought. Sandusky may have personal assets to make even a huge bail. One article stated that Sandusky had lived in the same house/neighborhood for decades. The mortgage is likely paid except for the recent $25,000 note he took out when this year likely for his attorney's retainer. Although his home appears modest in its photo, mapquest shows that it sits approx. 8-9 blocks from the State College campus which has thousands of employees and students. Its location dramatically raises its value.

Sandusky also has retirement income coming in from Penn State and perhaps his jobs before Penn State. In addition, after he retired by coaching, he was paid by Second Mile almost $500,000. (I can't find what he made from Second Mile before this time.) With these new charges, hopefully he will be jailed and held without bond because he may have the assets to pay a large one.
http://www.businessinsider.com/jerry-sandusky-salary-2011-11

Paterno wrote the forward in Switzer's Book Bootlegger's Boy published in 1990.

Thanks for point that out. Here's an excerpt from Paterno's foreward:

You might wonder why I am writing a foreward to a book written by Barry Switzer because you might believe that Barry and I have different, contrary perceptions as to what college football should be, what position it should occupy in university life and in the education of the people who play at Division IA schools. To a degree, the query is germane. I do disagree with Barry about many things. Our life-styles and values are dramatically different, which will become understandable after you learn of his experiences growing up as a bootlegger's son.

So why am I doing this for Barry Switzer? Because Barry has many qualities I admire: loyalty, lack of hypocrisy, a warmth for young people and friends, a deep and honest concern for black athletes, a zest for life, and, most of all, a devotion to his children and unswerving appreciation and respect for their mother. As a coach, I admire his competence, hard work, and his competitive fire. Basically, above all, I'm doing this because Barry is a friend.

So, unsurprisingly, Paterno places friendship and loyalty above ethical behavior in his hierarchy of values.

Later on Paterno writes:

This is an important book because it shows a side of big-time college football that, to be frank with you, I naively didn't really believe existed.

I don't know what to make of that statement. Perhaps Paterno created a narcissistic "false self", a holier-than-thou image of himself that he truly believed existed. The need to maintain that false persona would be another incentive to cover-up anything that could tarnish that image and expose his true self, JMO. It's hard for me to believe that the Brooklyn born and raised Paterno is as naive as he portrays himself.

The terminology of "not presently named as defendants" is likely causing more than a small amount of concern among certain individuals within these organizations, both past and present.

LawsuitA.jpg

LawsuitB.jpg

"The collective silence of various individuals in addition to the Defendants were (sic) overt acts committed in pursuance of the common purpose to endanger the welfare of children."

Wow.

The terminology of "not presently named as defendants" is likely causing more than a small amount of concern among certain individuals within these organizations, both past and present.

Yes and the recent civil suit (see OCR'd attachment) indicates just who some of those "not presently named" might be:

"Second Mile’s strong links to Penn State, its fans and alumni, have allowed it to grow into the most visible non-profit for at-risk youth in central Pennsylvania. Penn State voluntarily entered into a social and financial relationship with Defendant Second Mile and its founder, Defendant Sandusky. Head football coach Joe Paterno actively participated in fundraising for the organization. Second Mile board members have been top donors to the charity and to Perm State. Second Mile Board members have received lucrative contracts from Penn State University for building projects. Penn State has benefited from its affiliation with the Second Mile by reaping the public relations rewards of close ties to and participation, such as internships for Penn State football players, with a local charitable organization."

Attachments

• Civil suit - John Doe A Complaint.doc
    80 KB · Views: 5
What does this make now, 3 victims saying he took them across state lines to bowl games?

LawsuitC.jpg

I don't see how the Feds can stay out of this.

I don't know what to make of this, but it's hard to read it and not remember that a District Attorney involved with an investigation of the maker of this threat, vanished from the face of this earth.

LawsuitC-1.jpg

They might let the locals handle it, which could lead to harsher penalties.

Penn State played in the Fiesta Bowl during the mid '90s (Tempe, AZ is Joe Arpaio country). Penn State made a trip to California for the Rose Bowl after the 1994 season. Mostly, though, Penn State traveled to bowls in Florida. I'm not so sure local officials in Florida bowl cities would would want to do anything that would potentially alienate Penn State football fans.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpps/n...-alleged-victims-dpgonc-20111130-to-_16180511

(NewsCore) - The attorney for accused child molester Jerry Sandusky said Wednesday that four of the alleged victims in the case have had voluntary contact with the former Penn State defensive coordinator in recent years, The Patriot-News reported.

Attorney Joe Amendola told the paper that Victim 2 -- who according to the grand jury report was raped in a Penn State locker room shower by Sandusky in 2002 -- had dinner with Sandusky and his wife, Dottie, last summer.

Amendola claimed that a male identified as Victim 6 in the grand jury report was also at the dinner.

Amendola, as he has said previously, maintained that Victim 2 will defend Sandusky against the allegations.

"He sat here with his mother and brother and said he was not a victim," Amendola said.
----------

Amendola told The Patriot-News that there have been no plea negotiations to this point and that Sandusky still wishes to defend himself against all of the accusations.

"People who maintain innocence sometimes plead guilty because of the overwhelming evidence against them," he said. "So there's a lot of reasons why people decide to do certain things. He wants to defend [himself], and I'm trying to give him that opportunity."

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpps/n...-alleged-victims-dpgonc-20111130-to-_16180511

(NewsCore) - The attorney for accused child molester Jerry Sandusky said Wednesday that four of the alleged victims in the case have had voluntary contact with the former Penn State defensive coordinator in recent years, The Patriot-News reported.

Attorney Joe Amendola told the paper that Victim 2 -- who according to the grand jury report was raped in a Penn State locker room shower by Sandusky in 2002 -- had dinner with Sandusky and his wife, Dottie, last summer.

Amendola claimed that a male identified as Victim 6 in the grand jury report was also at the dinner.

Amendola, as he has said previously, maintained that Victim 2 will defend Sandusky against the allegations.

"He sat here with his mother and brother and said he was not a victim," Amendola said.
----------

Amendola told The Patriot-News that there have been no plea negotiations to this point and that Sandusky still wishes to defend himself against all of the accusations.

"People who maintain innocence sometimes plead guilty because of the overwhelming evidence against them," he said. "So there's a lot of reasons why people decide to do certain things. He wants to defend [himself], and I'm trying to give him that opportunity."

In the case of Victim 6, he does not have to be a victim, if it is the "Open Lewdness" section. :) Victim 6 never claimed rape.

Amendola will have to prove that really was Victim 2.

Okay -- if this is true, I want to see charges against Sandusky and his lawyer for tampering with witnesses and victims.

How dare they have these boys to the Sandusky house and then quiz them about what happened?????:furious::furious::furious: How dare they!

I hope the DA sees this article and acts accordingly and that Sandusky's bail or own recognize or whatever is pulled and he has to sit in jail until trial. He is a danger to these kids and all kids.

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

In the case of Victim 6, he does not have to be a victim, if it is the "Open Lewdness" section. :) Victim 6 never claimed rape.

Amendola will have to prove that really was Victim 2.

Thanks, and remember Victim 6 is the one whose mother reported and Sandusky was interviewed by the university and state officials and admitted what he'd done and said he wouldn't do it again.

The lawyer only knows what he is being told right now. I think with the new filing today and what comes out on Dec.13 will change things a bit. Amemdola didn't really sound too confident to me.

Okay -- if this is true, I want to see charges against Sandusky and his lawyer for tampering with witnesses and victims.

How dare they have these boys to the Sandusky house and then quiz them about what happened?????:furious::furious::furious: How dare they!

I hope the DA sees this article and acts accordingly and that Sandusky's bail or own recognize or whatever is pulled and he has to sit in jail until trial. He is a danger to these kids and all kids.

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Exactly, Salem! I was wondering about witness tampering also...although it says the dinner was last summer with JS and his wife, it would still have been during the grand jury proceedings and they were obviously trying to get the victims to recant.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...e-officials-hear-students-concerns/51517248/1

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – About an hour into a special town hall meeting with Penn State students and administrators Wednesday night, a woman stood up with tears in her eyes.

She didn't want to know about the financial or institutional impacts of the sex abuse scandal that rocked the school. She had a question for President Rodney Erickson about dealing with the aftermath.

"I feel shame. What do I do with these feelings?" she said.

A few moments of silence in the room was quickly followed by applause before Vice President for Commonwealth Campuses, Madlyn Hanes offered her advice.
-------

"We're here to listen and reassure members of the Penn State community that we will not let the actions of one individual determine who we are," Erickson said. "We're here to talk about going forward, how we go forward to learn from where we've been, how to be a better university and a stronger university."

Erickson confirmed that fired football coach Joe Paterno's name would not be removed from the library and his statue next to Beaver Stadium would not be taken down.

More at link...

Thanks, and remember Victim 6 is the one whose mother reported and Sandusky was interviewed by the university and state officials and admitted what he'd done and said he wouldn't do it again.

The lawyer only knows what he is being told right now. I think with the new filing today and what comes out on Dec.13 will change things a bit. Amemdola didn't really sound too confident to me.

With Victim 6, the judge will basically say (and I'm paraphrasing, obviously):

You don't have to prove arousal. You don't have to prove a sexual purpose. You don't have to prove there were genitals touching. You just have to prove that at some point in the encounter, the defendant committed an act "likely to be observed by others who would be affronted or alarmed." You don't even have to prove anyone else actually saw it.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.059.001.000.html

There is a lot of case law on it, even at the appellate level, and the definition is quite broad. There were arrests for skinny dipping, acting like you were, er, enjoying yourself, even if they couldn't prove you were.

Civilly, though not criminally, there is even a finding that men in thongs in a human period would meet that definition. http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/aclu-defends-six-men-arrested-during-protest-president-bush-rally

----------

Holy crap! He had them at his house during the grand jury investigation?

This is a class C felony. What could that get him in PA?
http://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2005/title53a/sec53a-151.html

The Class C felony definition of the Unites States says that a person charged with Class C felony can have prison sentence of more than one year. But the sentence cannot exceed more than 10 years.

The Class C felony punishment is not as serious as its counterparts. The Class C felony penalty can be quite ruthless if the offender has already had prior charges of Class C felony. The Class C felony includes punishment for crimes such as drunk driving, robbery, second degree sexual assault, arson, vehicular homicide, intoxication, second degree rape and sexual offense, assault with deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, adulterated food, drugs, intent to cause serious injury or death, kidnapping in the first degree, embezzlements, etc.
http://www.courtregistry.org/crimin...nies/felony_class/class_c_felony_records.html

With Victim 6, the judge will basically say (and I'm paraphrasing, obviously):

You don't have to prove arousal. You don't have to prove a sexual purpose. You don't have to prove there were genitals touching. You just have to prove that at some point in the encounter, the defendant committed an act "likely to be observed by others who would be affronted or alarmed." You don't even have to prove anyone else actually saw it.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.059.001.000.html

There is a lot of case law on it, even at the appellate level, and the definition is quite broad. There were arrests for skinny dipping, acting like you were, er, enjoying yourself, even if they couldn't prove you were.

Civilly, though not criminally, there is even a finding that men in thongs in a human period would meet that definition. http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/aclu-defends-six-men-arrested-during-protest-president-bush-rally

That's good to know about victim 6 and it's even on record that he already admitted it!

On the ACLU case, did you mean "pyramid"? lol ....I remember when that happened...wonder if they won that case?

(JK with ya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member