Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming in late, with a lot of emotion...what's the deal...if the victims had been girls would he be being treated differently.

This man needs help...from what I have read so does his wife...and they both need to be kept far from children and young people.

This makes me ill...so very ill

BBM

Yes, agree with your feelings, and that if JS had been charged with assaulting girls/women it would have been handled more openly. There is an ugly, taboo side to pedophilia that makes people not want to 'stare it in the face' or think that someone they thought they knew very well could be guilty of this crime.

However, there is no help to be found...it has been proven there is no cure to this inclination. In fact in my state, pedophiles and other serial sexual offenders are held in confinement after they have served their prison sentences for the protection of the community. I think there was a suit about this recently but haven't heard the outcome as yet.

Here is something interesting. The post on that forum didn’t specify that a child was raped. The hinting post only stated that a coach had witnessed Sandusky do something “ugly” and that this coach had not reported it. LE investigators were working on the Sandusky case with the Central Mountain HS boy in 2010 and then they became interested in finding out info on that forum post.

“Working off the brief mention on an Internet forum where people chatted about Penn State athletics, according to the two people with knowledge of the case, investigators narrowed their list of coaches likely to have seen something to Mike McQueary, then an assistant coach and the football program’s recruiting coordinator."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/nyt...l-came-from-a-comment-posted-on-the-internet/

FOS is "Fight On State", the Penn State forum associated with Scout.com. http://pennstate.scout.com/2/1127880.html
Thanks for finding that. I checked and that isn't it, but I'll keep looking.

Off (our) topic a bit, but, with the Fine case at Syracuse, evidence of a pattern forming: pedophiles rife in American amateur sports:

Former Players say AAU's ex-CEO Bobby Dodd sexually abused them (espn.com)
Amateur Athletic Union announces investigation, contacts police about allegations

I was reading about this case this morning...at least the Penn St. case seems to have given more boys/men the courage to tell what happened to them, and to open this subject to the public.

Reader~

By help I guess I meant working through so that he sees he has a problem...I don't believe in reform or that he should ever be allowed close to children ever.

What state...I wish we had a law like that here...my dear friends husband molested her oldest daughter...and is in jail for 10-20...i wish they had thrown away the key...

Reader~

By help I guess I meant working through so that he sees he has a problem...I don't believe in reform or that he should ever be allowed close to children ever.

What state...I wish we had a law like that here...my dear friends husband molested her oldest daughter...and is in jail for 10-20...i wish they had thrown away the key...

Thanks for the further explanation, Mamabear, and so sorry that happened to your friend's daughter.

I'm in Florida...let me check on the status of that law and get back with you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/s...ng-abuse.html?ref=pennsylvaniastateuniversity

.............But sports as an environment for sexual abuse is hardly new. Experts say it has all the significant ingredients that can lead to such abuse: coaches have close relationships with children and unsupervised access to them, while holding a position of trust and authority that can often keep children from reporting the problems to their parents or other authority figures.

“It’s not new, but in sports it seems we are doomed to be shocked and appalled all over again,” said Dr. Sandra Kirby, an associate vice president for research at the University of Winnipeg, who led a study in the 1990s that found widespread instances of sexual misconduct involving coaches of the Canadian national team in various sports.
--------

Chris Gavagan, a filmmaker who is making a documentary on sexual abuse in sports called “Coached Into Silence,” based largely on abuse he said he endured from a youth hockey coach starting when he was 14, is among those who believe the problems for boys in sports are much larger than suspected. Not only does it happen more than people want to think, he said, but the culture of sports works against a child trying to report it.

“Sexually abused boys are going to be the most silent group,” Gavagan said, adding that the allegations involving Sandusky, if true, fit a familiar pattern.

“With the whole macho atmosphere of sports, it seems to be the perfect storm of circumstances,” he said. “There’s the culture of personality that keep these guys the kings of their little kingdoms, the sense of hero worship. The kinds of things Sandusky was offering those boys is every boy’s dream — trips to bowl games, going down on the field. It allows these things to go on for a long time. And when you don’t tell someone the first time it happens, you already feel complicit.”

Much more in this interesting article!

Thanks for setting me straight on the two different cases I had mixed up ;). 100 pages and no charges were filed! To me, that is a crime in its self. There are so many people in the know, and the numbers have just multiplied with each passing year. I am not a young person so am bewildered that in the circles the Sanduskys ran, and as open as he was with his "new" friends, that the higher ups did not tell him to stop appearing in public with them. Also, I would have thought the women would have grown very suspicious that Sandusky always had a boy child with him and his wife was not included.

On Sirius Radio HLN station today, I heard the strongest cases against Sandusky are either victim #1 or 2 and victim 9. The reason for these are because they had told someone else (even though Dottie says she did not know about victim #9 or hear his screams).

Just thought of something - I've read different reports of Dottie contacting several victims prior to this blowup. If she did, would that be counted as "prior knowledge" even if she was just following Jerry's directions to call and what to say? Jerry would have had to tell her what the boy was saying Jerry did to him. For Dottie to make the call, that would be an awkward encounter, right? And to make such a call more than once, well, Dottie would have to be suspicious!

Mamabear (and others interested), here are links to a 2007 article about the after-prison committment program, and one showing the Supreme Court upheld those laws in 2010:

"Still, political leaders, like those in New York, are vastly expanding such programs to keep large numbers of rapists and pedophiles off the streets after their prison terms in a response to public fury over grisly sex crimes.

In Coalinga, Calif., a $388 million facility will allow the state to greatly expand the offenders it holds to 1,500. Florida, Minnesota, Nebraska, Virginia and Wisconsin are also adding beds.

At the federal level, President Bush has signed a law offering money to states that commit sex offenders beyond their prison terms, and the Justice Department is creating a civil commitment program for federal prisoners."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/us/04civil.html?pagewanted=print
-------

"Congress did not exceed its constitutional authority when it passed a 2006 law permitting the civil detention of certain violent sexual offenders after they have served their full prison terms, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

In a 7 to 2 ruling, the high court upheld Section 4248 of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act. The law establishes a civil commitment procedure to keep behind bars any federal inmate deemed by the government to be sexually dangerous."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/0517/Supreme-Court-upholds-federal-sex-offender-law

SosSecondMile043-1-1.jpg
+ I'm gonna call this group the initial inductees into my "Happy Valley Hall of Shame". We KNOW that each of these men knew about a child rapist in their midst. They knew, but did NOTHING to protect these children. As a direct result, MORE children were allowed to suffer at the hands of a monster.+ Aside from the obvious question of WHY? there's an equally compelling question of WHO ELSE KNEW?. Starting with this core group, who else did these people tell? Is it logical to believe they told their wives? family members?, friends?, neighbors?, business associates? + An attorney for one of the victims recently said:
“If you think about it from a logical standpoint, how do you have this group of people that are so intertwined with each other, and then have something like this come up, and then they not talk about it?”-
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/12/05/120511-news-paterno-business-1-5/
+
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/12/05/120511-news-paterno-business-1-5/ [/quote]
A former board member of The Second Mile has also said:
Some have questioned whether certain people within the charity knew before 2008, given Paterno’s close business and personal relationships — including dinners and a Bahamas vacation — with Poole and several other past and present board members.+ “I honestly think there was a conversation. I can’t believe there wasn’t one,” fumed one former board member. “To be honest, I think people were worried about what would happen to Penn State and The Second Mile if Jerry Sandusky was found out.”-
+
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/12/05/120511-news-paterno-business-1-5/ [/quote]
Notice there's a couple of empty spots in this group? I think there's going to be more rows added as this situation unfolds, but towards that end, I have three more nominees that I believe logic dictates should join this group.-
SosSecondMile147-2.jpg

+
From left to right:+ Robert (Bob) Poole, Chairman of the Board of Trustees for The Second Mile, a partner in Pinnacle Development, and CEO of Poole Anderson Construction. As far as I'm concerned, he had to have known.
Several former Second Mile board members told The Daily that if anyone on the board knew about the 2002 incident, it would have been Poole, who also was close to the charity’s former CEO, Jack Raykovitz.-

William Schreyer A partner in Pinnacle Development, and a Penn State trustee. His daughter is a longtime board member of The Second Mile. How could he not have known?

Katherine Genovese, the second-highest paid Second Mile employee and the wife of ex-CEO Jack Raykovitz. She has been with The Second Mile since it started in 1977. What are the chances she didn't know or that her husband didn't tell her?+

Katherine Genovese, Executive Vice President and second-highest paid Second Mile employee, and the wife of ex-CEO Jack Raykovitz. She has been with The Second Mile since it started in 1977. What are the chances she didn't know or that her husband didn't tell her?
Genovese, an executive with the organization, told a person in authority in 2008 she had concerns about Sandusky, according to a source close to the investigation.-
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/second_mile_exec_who_expressed.html
+
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/second_mile_exec_who_expressed.html[/quote]
For me the saddest part of this tragedy is, regardless of who or how many actually knew about Sandusky, it only took one to find the strength and moral conviction to stop the suffering of these children.

The Second Mile has repeatedly asserted that it served more than 100,000 children across the state last year, but the number who received sustained or ongoing attention is much smaller, according to its reports.

For example, the organization counts as "children served" those who received a set of trading cards featuring photos of Penn State University athletes and inspirational messages. It also counts students who watched anti-bullying videos it distributed and foster children who got free tickets to amusement parks or baseball games. A leading child welfare expert described those activities as "low-dose" services of questionable value.

Although The Second Mile holds state licenses as a foster care and private children and youth services provider, annual inspection reports by the Department of Public Welfare going back to 1998 have repeatedly said The Second Mile served no children pursuant to those licenses.

The most recent report says "the mission of the agency has changed from directly providing foster care placement services to an intensive foster family support program" with 69 events "including amusement park outings, theatrical performances, puppet shows, minor league baseball games, snow tubing and holiday parties."
THE SANDUSKY CASE
» See the PG's coverage

Anne Bale, spokeswoman for the welfare department, said the records show that the organization stopped providing foster care sometime in the 1980s but maintained its license "to help them fundraise."..........................................

The Second Mile has derived its income from corporate and individual donations and fundraising events, including golf outings each year. According to The Second Mile's federal filings as a tax-exempt organization, total revenue for the year ended Aug. 31, 2010, was $2.2 million, down from $3.3 million the prior year.

The organization paid $1.6 mill- ion in salaries and benefits to employees, including $132,923 to Mr. Raykovitz, who resigned after charges against Mr. Sandusky were filed, and $100,580 to Ms. Genovese, who has kept her post.

Dr. Gelles said the case generated a "teachable moment" for would-be donors: He recommended that they examine IRS Form 990s that nonprofits are required to file documenting their revenues and expenditures.

"Remember that their annual report is a publicity document," he said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11331/1192859-143.stm#ixzz1gB8haBx9

Second Mile was a sham promoted by Penn State. Half of he money raised was paying salaries. I would love to know who holds the license agreement to those decks of cards of Penn State Athletes and who produced them and sold them to Second Mile. My guess would be Penn State or Joe Paterno.

Gov. Tom Corbett's team defends handling of Jerry Sandusky case, campaign contributions from Second Mile board members

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/gov_tom_corbetts_team_defends.html

Excerpts:

Corbett accepted more than $25,000 from state board members of Sandusky’s charity, The Second Mile, during his gubernatorial campaign last year. On top of that, he accepted thousands more from the charity’s regional board members, according to Pennsylvania Department of State campaign contributions website.

His openness to the charity’s board members’ contributions to his campaign didn’t stop there. Corbett also allowed S&A Homes president and CEO Robert Poole, who chaired Second Mile’s board, to hold a small fundraiser for him at Poole’s home in January 2010.
-------

Furthermore, Harley said, “Nobody was aware, other than the governor and people in the attorney general’s office, of the investigation.”

Poole, however, said he did know about it.

In his email, Poole said that “to the best of my recollection, I first learned in 2008 or 2009 that authorities were investigating Mr. Sandusky.”

An earlier statement from the state confirmed that Sandusky volunteered to tell Second Mile officials about the investigation in November 2008.
-------

It’s clear the attorney general’s investigation did not heat up until late 2010.

That’s when a 1998 report of similar conduct by Sandusky was discovered. It’s also when investigators learned assistant coach Mike McQueary had witnessed something in the Penn State locker room showers in 2002.

The seven additional victims outlined in the initial grand jury report weren’t found until 2011. Joe Paterno and other Penn State officials — including the two who were eventually charged with perjury — didn’t testify until January 2011.

More at link....

SosSecondMile043-1-1.jpg

I'm gonna call this group the initial inductees into my "Happy Valley Hall of Shame". We KNOW that each of these men knew about a child rapist in their midst. They knew, but did NOTHING to protect these children. As a direct result, MORE children were allowed to suffer at the hands of a monster.

Aside from the obvious question of WHY? there's an equally compelling question of WHO ELSE KNEW?. Starting with this core group, who else did these people tell? Is it logical to believe they told their wives? family members?, friends?, neighbors?, business associates?

An attorney for one of the victims recently said:

A former board member of The Second Mile has also said:

Notice there's a couple of empty spots in this group? I think there's going to be more rows added as this situation unfolds, but towards that end, I have three more nominees that I believe logic dictates should join this group.

<modsnip>

For me the saddest part of this tragedy is, regardless of who or how many actually knew about Sandusky, it only took one to find the strength and moral conviction to stop the suffering of these children.

I think whoever at the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare rubber stamped that investigation of victim number 6 in 1998 should be added to your list.

I would also like to know what kept victim number 6th mother from talking about it to friends or relatives. Was she told not to?

Concerned Papa, I nominate Joe Amendola. He's more than just Sandusky's defense attorney. He and his teen bride were hobnobbing with many of the major players at Second Mile before this scandal became public.

I think whoever at the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare rubber stamped that investigation of victim number 6 in 1998 should be added to your list.

I would also like to know what kept victim number 6th mother from talking about it to friends or relatives. Was she told not to?

The list goes on and on.

-The janitorial staff at the Lasch building

-The principal at Centre High School

-What about the desk clerks at all these motels victims are saying he took them to?

-How many investigators with the local LE knew but whitewashed over it?

-Wouldn't there logically be some kind of security guard(s) at the Lasch building? Surely anyone just couldn't waltz in? Were they blind?

Then you have to consider who all of these people did or didn't tell about what they saw or knew.

Concerned Papa, I nominate Joe Amendola. He's more than just Sandusky's defense attorney. He and his teen bride were hobnobbing with many of the major players at Second Mile before this scandal became public.

I agree. A lot of confidences are often exchanged over a few cocktails. After all an attorney can be somewhat like a priest in certain regards, can't they?

The Chronicle of Philanthropy

http://philanthropy.com/article/Avoiding-Trouble-What/129920/

Make sure compensation to insiders is justifiable. Because the charges of abuse are so heinous, less attention has been given to financial matters involving Mr. Sandusky and the charity&#8217;s board. But those also are of concern.

Second Mile reportedly paid $57,000 each year from 2001 to 2007 to Mr. Sandusky as a consultant. Such payments raise questions about whether it violated federal rules on excessive compensation to charity insiders. If the payments cannot be justified, it&#8217;s not just Mr. Sandusky who could be in trouble but also any board member who approved the transaction.

Another questionable relationship involved Robert Poole, chairman of the charity&#8217;s board. Mr. Poole is chief executive of Poole Anderson Construction, which had been selected to manage Second Mile&#8217;s $11.5-million &#8220;Center for Excellence&#8221; building project, an effort that was shelved as a result of the scandal.

Some people now wonder whether Mr. Poole had an interest in playing down reports of Mr. Sandusky&#8217;s misconduct because it would have jeopardized the project.

Boards need policies for approving insider transactions that do more than just follow the law. Favoritism endangers the public&#8217;s trust in a charity.

The Chronicle of Philanthropy

http://philanthropy.com/article/Avoiding-Trouble-What/129920/

Make sure compensation to insiders is justifiable. Because the charges of abuse are so heinous, less attention has been given to financial matters involving Mr. Sandusky and the charity’s board. But those also are of concern.

Second Mile reportedly paid $57,000 each year from 2001 to 2007 to Mr. Sandusky as a consultant. Such payments raise questions about whether it violated federal rules on excessive compensation to charity insiders. If the payments cannot be justified, it’s not just Mr. Sandusky who could be in trouble but also any board member who approved the transaction.

Another questionable relationship involved Robert Poole, chairman of the charity’s board. Mr. Poole is chief executive of Poole Anderson Construction, which had been selected to manage Second Mile’s $11.5-million “Center for Excellence” building project, an effort that was shelved as a result of the scandal.

Some people now wonder whether Mr. Poole had an interest in playing down reports of Mr. Sandusky’s misconduct because it would have jeopardized the project.

Boards need policies for approving insider transactions that do more than just follow the law. Favoritism endangers the public’s trust in a charity.

Yep, I'd say Mr. Poole had quite a bit at play and subject to risk by Sandusky being exposed. Aside from the TSM project, his construction company had done approximately $100M as a contractor on Penn State projects. Not to mention the $125M development he was a partner in with JoePa and Schreyer, a Penn State trustee.

It'll be interesting to see just how many of those choice construction projects he gets from Penn State, NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther