Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the stated objective of PSU's president to de-emphasize football (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...ickson-interview-football-emphasis/51686080/1) What exactly that means has yet to be seen. However, I can't imagine, under any circumstance, the football program ceasing to exist. Penn State, as a member of the Big 10 conference, is locked into a 2.7 billion dollar contract with ESPN and Fox to televise conference games for the next 12 years. To collect its share of the pie, Penn State must field a team. Without a team, they might even be asked to leave the conference, which would affect all PSU's athletic programs. Not going to happen.

So Penn State will have a football team. The fear among diehard Nittany Lions football fans is that future teams will not be as competitive as Paterno's teams. IMO, the near future is going to be rough; long term, Penn State will be OK. The challenge will be finding a head coach willing to take on the job NOW.

The male in my life did is an undergrad. alum of another college in the Big 10 Conference. We have paid for a special sports package on TV for a long time so he can watch the games from that part of the country, which are usually not televised where we live and have lived.

I mentioned the Penn State Sandusky incident to him to see if he's keeping up ( so to speak--- I don't think enough has come out yet for any of us to fall behind).

My sports loving guy said " Talked to some of my frat brothers last week via Skype. Big ban on all Penn State/ ____ ( their college) football games.
He said " We are not watching or attending football games coached by even assistant coaches with a long history of turning their backs to the abuse. Not next season and possibly never again. Besides, with JoePa having lung cancer, this is the totally disgraceful end of a long sports era and tradition anyway"). If I'm paraphrasing, it's only a few words. Because it's the most vocal he's ever been about his long history with his alma mater for as long as I've known him and some of his old college friends.
Sports fans like them, with money, are putting their money where their mouths are.

Probably the most pro-active thing he has ever done. There IS going to be a backlash, PSU fans. It's sad and Sandusky is sick and evil, but no one with intelligence REALLY believes he did what he did and " no one knew". JMO.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/19/justice/pennsylvania-sandusky-records-request/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Penn State rebuffs CNN request for records on 1998 Sandusky investigation
By Greg Botelho, CNN
updated 12:38 AM EST, Mon December 19, 2011

(CNN) -- Penn State has rejected a CNN public records request for a copy of a 1998 campus police report tied to sexual misconduct allegations made against then-assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, a lawyer for the school told CNN.

Amy Elizabeth McCall, an assistant general counsel, asserted in a letter to CNN that Penn State is "a state-related institution" and not a "state school" like some in other states, and therefore does not have the same public records requirements as other public institutions.

"Because the 1998 investigation did not result in any criminal charges, it is not criminal history information and the university's police are thus required by law to keep that information within the police department," McCall wrote....

It's the stated objective of PSU's president to de-emphasize football (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/story/2011-12-06/penn-state-rodney-erickson-interview-football-emphasis/51686080/1) What exactly that means has yet to be seen. However, I can't imagine, under any circumstance, the football program ceasing to exist. Penn State, as a member of the Big 10 conference, is locked into a 2.7 billion dollar contract with ESPN and Fox to televise conference games for the next 12 years. To collect its share of the pie, Penn State must field a team. Without a team, they might even be asked to leave the conference, which would affect all PSU's athletic programs. Not going to happen.

So Penn State will have a football team. The fear among diehard Nittany Lions football fans is that future teams will not be as competitive as Paterno's teams. IMO, the near future is going to be rough; long term, Penn State will be OK. The challenge will be finding a head coach willing to take on the job NOW.

Due to the money that Penn State football brings to the college, the town and the surrounding community and their contracts with Television they will come back and come back big IMO.

Penn State's problem right now is in finding a big name coach with credibility, not only as a winning coach but as a man with high moral credibility, personal ethics etc, kind of like a Tony Dungee, who will take this job for the next 3 to 5 years. They need a powerhouse name who can recruit, keep the boosters donating, put people together to support the University in a public way.

They will pay big $$$ to accomplish this.

A PR team will come in and start rebuilding Penn State image and like Michael Vick Penn State will rise again. To much money involved for this all not to fall in place.

Penn State needs time to get through the legal problems and get the Sandusky problem to go away. But they will do it.

Penn State is also in the state of frenzy if the unconfirmed reports of JoPa's health are true what do they do if he doesn't survive the lung cancer.

A PR nightmare to be sure.

Not equating one man, Vick, to the Penn State community but pointing out that Americans love to support 'the comeback kid/the underdog'.

Please refrain from personal attacks on other posters, and from sleuthing one another. Both are against TOS.

Well, I think he would have been isolated from children. Sorry, but I don't a jury drawn from anyone other than the executive board of NAMBLA would say that bear hugging an unrelated 10 year old in the shower while you both were naked is not Corruption of Minors. It is not a felony, but it is enough to warn.

Not a felony...

In the atmosphere of Penn State power, I think Gricar knew he needed one. In addition, let's not forget the first JUDGE in the current case-- she didn't even set bail after eight victims, 40 felony charges, and a GJ indictment. moo

Had he been convicted of the felony, Sandusky would have been on the Meagan's Law list, possibly only for ten years. Further, TSM would not have left him near children again.

I really would not care if Sandusky would have been kept in prison for 100 years. He would not have been in a position to do what he is alleged to have done.

All the people in the 1998 investigation knew what Jerry was up to. There were two boys in that complaint. They knew there were probably more. Any of them could have leaked the story to the press or encouraged the mother to go to the press and they did not.

Yeah right, I really believe this...........

Former board members of Jerry Sandusky’s charity say its CEO never told them about a 2002 shower incident that is the focus of child sexual abuse charges against the retired Penn State assistant coach. If they knew Sandusky had been banned from bringing kids on campus, they say they could have taken steps to better protect children a decade ago.

“Not one thing was said to us,” said Bradley P. Lunsford, a Centre County judge who served on The Second Mile board between 2001 and 2005. “Not a damn thing.”

If more information had been given to board members, they “would have asked the follow-up question: Why? You don’t know? Who knows? Who can we talk to? Has this been reported to the police?” Lunsford said. “I guarantee you there would have been a competition among all those people to be the first to ask the question ‘Why is he not allowed on campus?’”

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/second_mile_bboard_members_say.html

Yeah right, I really believe this...........

Former board members of Jerry Sandusky’s charity say its CEO never told them about a 2002 shower incident that is the focus of child sexual abuse charges against the retired Penn State assistant coach. If they knew Sandusky had been banned from bringing kids on campus, they say they could have taken steps to better protect children a decade ago.

“Not one thing was said to us,” said Bradley P. Lunsford, a Centre County judge who served on The Second Mile board between 2001 and 2005. “Not a damn thing.”

If more information had been given to board members, they “would have asked the follow-up question: Why? You don’t know? Who knows? Who can we talk to? Has this been reported to the police?” Lunsford said. “I guarantee you there would have been a competition among all those people to be the first to ask the question ‘Why is he not allowed on campus?’”

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/second_mile_bboard_members_say.html

More CYA on their part. :maddening:

Not a felony...

In the atmosphere of Penn State power, I think Gricar knew he needed one. In addition, let's not forget the first JUDGE in the current case-- she didn't even set bail after eight victims, 40 felony charges, and a GJ indictment. moo

If that was the case, it would have been a very serious mistake in judgment. The charge Indecent Assault of a Person Less than 13 Years of Age (1 count)is a misdemeanor. Corruption of Minors (4 counts) and Endangering Welfare Of Children (4 counts) are misdemeanors as well.

Any one of them would have warned Second Mile that it wasn't a good idea for him to be around children.

It was not, or at least should not, have been about how much time Sandusky could have gotten. It was about protecting the community.

I seriously doubt, that even if convicted of the lowest felony, Sandusky would have spent much, if any, time in prison, had he been tried and convicted in the 1998 incident. The community, well, the children in it, would have been protected. Even Sandusky might have been able to get treatment, if possible.

If that was the case, it would have been a very serious mistake in judgment. The charge Indecent Assault of a Person Less than 13 Years of Age (1 count)is a misdemeanor. Corruption of Minors (4 counts) and Endangering Welfare Of Children (4 counts) are misdemeanors as well.

Any one of them would have warned Second Mile that it wasn't a good idea for him to be around children.

It was not, or at least should not, have been about how much time Sandusky could have gotten. It was about protecting the community.

I seriously doubt, that even if convicted of the lowest felony, Sandusky would have spent much, if any, time in prison, had he been tried and convicted in the 1998 incident. The community, well, the children in it, would have been protected. Even Sandusky might have been able to get treatment, if possible.

I totally get the point, I just disagree. Imo, they would have covered it up, as we've seen in the other "discoveries." I don't think children would have been warned, the public would NOT have heard about it, and it wouldn't have gotten any legs at all beyond the boardrooms of the higher ups at Penn State, TSM, and Centre County mayor/judicial system. Too many interests to protect to risk for some "throwaway" kids. (their mindset, not mine) moo

This oughta be good:

@sganim
Sara Ganim

Joe Amendola told me Dottie and Jerry #Sandusky want to talk to Oprah, 60min, Rock Center or Barbara Walters after Jan.1

3 hours ago

Can't wait to hear how much deeper they dig that hole this time.

This oughta be good:

Can't wait to hear how much deeper they dig that hole this time.

LOL At the beginning of the show Amendola hands Jerry a big shovel and Dottie a little garden spade and tells them to have fun!

Penn State child sex abuse scandal voted AP sports story of the year

NEW YORK — The ouster of one of America's most revered coaches, Penn State's Joe Paterno, after shocking child sex abuse charges against his former assistant was overwhelmingly voted the sports story of the year by members of The Associated Press.

On the morning of Nov. 5, Paterno's Nittany Lions were undefeated in the Big Ten and ranked No. 16 in the country, and the 84-year-old Hall of Famer was renowned as the winningest coach in Division I football, a leader who preached and practiced "Success with Honor." Then came the staggering revelations: the indictment of longtime defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky for allegedly sexually assaulting eight boys over a 15-year span, perjury charges against two high-ranking school administrators — and a grand jury report that suggested Paterno knew of accusations against Sandusky and did not do enough to pursue them

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/penn_state_child_sex_abuse_sca_1.html

I think Oprah might hand him off to Dr. Phil, lol.

One of the rare moments of honesty in this case came when Paterno said in a written statement, "With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more." It's not hard to imagine Ray Gricar thinking the same thing at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500