Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say just let him withdraw his confession and get on with the trial. It was for his benefit anyways! They've certainly got enough on him!

Agreed, however, I wonder if he is trying to keep himself in the news with this latest ploy of a coerced confession. Kinda like....world don't forget about me here in Peru.

Last night (for me, might have been early morning for the mainland Time Zones) a member here posted a very interesting video of JVDS being interviewed after having taken a LDT. I think the video was in Dutch. The tester alleged that JVDS skewed the LDT results by tightening his sphincter. Was a bit funny, but then again it was late :)

...and when the LDT guy told this to Joran...He instantly jumped up and smashed a water glass against the wall. Too bad this video was in another language...

Again, if the Peruvian authorities did indeed lie to Joran about what he was signing, and he really didn't understand it, will any of you acknowledge that it was wrong for them to do that?

Would you support that kind of thing happening in this country?

I don't even support some of the laws in this country. In my city, it's on the books that it's against the law to sleep with your chicken. I'm totally serious!
What prompted that law, BTW?!? Ewww.

I'm sure Joran will be advised wisely by his now outside hired attorney and if his attorney is well versed in Peruvian law, Joran will understand that if he confesses and does a walk threw reinactment, he might only be facing 7 to 9 years.

Peru offers very lienient sentences for murder if the murder confesses.

Otherwise, the judges will just look at the surveillance videos and DNA evidence and throw the books at him.

It's a pretty simply math equation as far as I'm concerned. And, much more lenient than the laws in the good ole USA.

...and when the LDT guy told this to Joran...He instantly jumped up and smashed a water glass against the wall. Too bad this video was in another language...

Yes, but even with the language barrier....it appeared that the woman sat and drew circle upon circle showing where there was deception on the LDT....you could see his anger grow.

I understand what you're saying, but the bigger question, for me at least, is if those who are 100% certain Joran is a murderer oppose the authorities-of any country-coercing an involuntary "confession" from a suspect by using his lack of fluency in the native language against him.

I don't believe that the authorities, anywhere, should be able to type up a false "confession" and then lie about what it says ("You're just saying that you understand your rights," etc.), in order to make it appear that a suspect is admitting guilt.

I realize that Joran has little credibility, and those who have already convicted him of this crime will simply believe this is typical behavior for him- lying once again. However, if he signed a paper and the authorities lied to him about what was written on it, isn't that terribly wrong to do?

I understand what you're saying, but the bigger question, for me at least, is if those who are 100% certain Joran is a murderer oppose the authorities-of any country-coercing an involuntary "confession" from a suspect by using his lack of fluency in the native language against him.

I don't believe that the authorities, anywhere, should be able to type up a false "confession" and then lie about what it says ("You're just saying that you understand your rights," etc.), in order to make it appear that a suspect is admitting guilt.

I realize that Joran has little credibility, and those who have already convicted him of this crime will simply believe this is typical behavior for him- lying once again. However, if he signed a paper and the authorities lied to him about what was written on it, isn't that terribly wrong to do?

Unreals, I would totally agree with you if we were only talking about the USA and as a melting pot society many different people from different countries settling here and English is the common law language.

However, Joran speaks more languages than most natural born US citizens. And Peru doesn't give a carp if he lies or not. He won't EVER be charged with lying, which seemingly he can't tell if he's doing or not.

Peru is going to place in evidence the videos and dna and let the tribunal decide. That's their system and who am I to change it. It almost seems more human and functional than the USA system.

The prisons don't seem to be all that great/humane, though.

I'd really like to see statistics on prisoners who were wrongfully convicted in Peru. That would be of high interest to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500