Police Chief Darryl Forte good reasons to not suspect the child's parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA. Where have you been, anyway, wfgodot?
I've been frozen - aghast that an article containing an attempt at attribution like "is believed to have said" and also the split infinitive "reasons to not suspect" is being read seriously in the first place. I thought I was grading freshman comp finals again. Flashbacks.

Wfgodot! It's good to see you back. :)

I expect that other media outlets will pick up on this story and try to get more direct answers as to what Chief Forte actually said and/or meant. Whether they will get them or not.........

WTH is "believed to have said"???????????? He might be "believed to have said", little green people were involved, but he didn't.......good grief.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/252758/20111120/missing-baby-lisa-irwin-tough-month-kansas.htm

"The interest in the parents' roles stems in part from the acquittal of Casey Anthony for the alleged murder of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee in Florida and in part from the even more recent death of 1-year-old Tyler Dasher in Missouri."

Every case is different. I do think many people have feelings "laid up" for Casey Anthony that they have re-directed toward DB. And it's not helping find baby Lisa.
The sad fact is no matter what evidence they find elsewhere some people will still believe she "did it."

She's right. If this case doesn't get solved, the parents especially mom will always be looked at as a suspect in the public eye. Look at the Ramsey's...and so many others.

Jersey is a known convicted felon and is in jail. I think comparing him to the Irwins who have never committed a crime in their life, is absurd.

I'm kind of a stickler. Sooooo. . .

there is a difference between "committed" and "convicted." It's seems like a small one, but it's not. :smile:

I'm kind of a stickler. Sooooo. . .

there is a difference between "committed" and "convicted." It's seems like a small one, but it's not. :smile:

I think Jersey falls under both. :)

I hate to say it, but I think that reporter for International Business Times may have gotten it wrong. (I'm not fond of "According to a KMBC.com report" and that report only has a portion of what follows or "Forte is believed to have said")

I did find the KMBC.com report. . .it's here:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/19/3275281/forums-popularity-pleases-kc-police.html

I think that reporter was talking about this from the Kansas City Star quote.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/19/3275281/forums-popularity-pleases-kc-police.html

But on Wednesday, in a meeting with The Star’s Editorial Board, Forte said the police are “not trying to vilify the family.”

The police have good reasons for doing what they are doing, the chief added. That’s essentially a response to the attorneys, who have indicated the police have been overbearing in their treatment of the parents, implying they were involved in the disappearance of baby Lisa.

Forte said he wouldn’t comment further on the case, adding that the department has one spokesman - Steve Young - handling the crushing number of local and national media requests about this matter.

Why so reticent?

Joking or not, Forte said this strategy was designed to hold down the number of subpenas that might be issued in the future regarding the case.

To me, this was a broad hint that, as many people expect, this case is not going to end well, either for baby Lisa Irwin or for her parents.

And let’s hope I’m wrong, wrong, wrong.

ETA-I hope that is ok to link. I realize it is an editorial piece, but I couldn't find any other MSM referencing that quote and it's context. And I much prefer the word of a writer who was actually in the Kansas City Star editorial board meeting than a reporter in India who was not.

MOO

I am so confused... I can't find where these two reports are related. What am I missing? Please help me. :help:

I think Jersey falls under both. :)

Obviously, it's the others that is kind of vague and really we have no idea of. We know they have never been "convicted" of a crime. But, speaking for myself, no way could I ever know they have never committed one.

MOO

BBM

How have LE vilified DB from day one?

It's just my opinion...but DB was apparently told by LE that she failed her poly, this however, has never been confirmed by LE. But I believe they did tell her that and I believe they lied. Although polygraph results are not admissible in a court of law, they are most certainly allowed in the court of public opinion and often times serve only to sway said opinion. It has also been reported that the cadaver dogs hit on a location in DB & JI's bedroom, I believe this too was a lie, designed by LE to put public pressure on DB. There is also the little fact that LE continues to say that DB & JI aren't cooperating, aren't answering certain questions, all the while DB & JI insist through their attorney that they are cooperating. So failed poly, drunk mom, decomp in bedroom, and not cooperating...I'd pretty much say they have vilified DB.
With that said; I agree wholeheartedly that DB was extremely irresponsible to get drunk while caring for the children, but I do not believe that makes her a murderer. I don't even know if I believe that makes her 100% responsible for the disappearance of her daughter. Who knows, she could have been stone cold sober and Lisa might still have been abducted.
Again it's just my opinion and that I believe is the greatest thing about WS, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

WTH is "believed to have said"???????????? He might be "believed to have said", little green people were involved, but he didn't.......good grief.
I've been trying to think of when that "is believed to have said" business would ever be correctly used in writing by a reporter.

"Mary," Lincoln is believed to have said at Ford's Theater as Booth entered the box seconds before shooting him, "is that door back there ajar? I feel a draft."

No, doesn't work there either, could be used only by an amateur historian writing years later. An actual reporter would have asked Mary Todd Lincoln if in fact that is what the president did say.

I am so confused... I can't find where these two reports are related. What am I missing? Please help me. :help:

They're not.

That's kind of the point. They are two separate things that apparently happened weeks apart, but a copy writer in India decided to merge and morph them into something they are not.

Clear as mud, huh?

I don't know if I see the comment as an olive branch, IMO it sounds more like arguing with the family attorneys who have been "vilifying" the police and defending his staff. They're saying that the police isn't doing enough investigating because they've just wrongly focused on the parents and the chief is saying you're wrong, they've got reasons for everything.

If anybody's been vilified it's been Jersey and Gil Abeyta's suspect. JMO. Just the other day we heard from the family that Jersey had bragged that he took Lisa for $300 and it turned out he did no such thing, and GA implied that LE was just waiting to arrest his suspect which they haven't yet done. I do hope they've got something to do with it, otherwise they've been completely railroaded.

I think we need to be careful when we say 'heard from the family' whenever one of these lawyers makes a statement, especially JT. I understand they technically are supposed to be a mouthpiece for the parents, but I don't think the lawyers are clearing everything they tell the news media with the parents. It's not like DB is getting in front of cameras (a la CA) and making bold accusations on people.

Jersey is a known convicted felon and is in jail. I think comparing him to the Irwins who have never committed a crime in their life, is absurd.

When it comes to parents/spouses hurting their children/spouse, the bolded doesn't really mean anything as far as possible guilt.

Most parents who have hurt or killed their child, either accidently or intentionally, didn't have a prior criminal history. Susan Smith, Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson, Diane Downs, Casey Anthony, many of the cases that aren't as high profile that we can read about in the crimes against children thread here, never had a criminal history.

As well as someone being a petty criminal, druggie, homeless, doesn't automatically make them a baby kidnapper and baby murderer. But they can be easy scapegoats for that very reason.

JMHO

i just posed a media link regarding the teen ( that overheard jersey speaking about kidnapping the baby) and what he really said when interviewed.

i have never started a thread, and do not know if this suffices for a new thread.
i'll let the mods figure that one out, but if you're interested, check out the more recent media link on this case.

Chief Forte met with the Kansas City Star's editorial board on Wednesday, 26 October.

The homicides in question were committed in a ten hour period beginning on Friday, 11 November.

They are totally unrelated.

They're not.

That's kind of the point. They are two separate things that apparently happened weeks apart, but a copy writer in India decided to merge and morph them into something they are not.

Clear as mud, huh?

BBM :woohoo: I think I got it now, NOT. :lol:

I just didn't even see any reference made to the Lisa Irwin case in the second article at all. I'm just going to move on to another thread that I might understand. :lol: Thanks for your help!!

It's just my opinion...but DB was apparently told by LE that she failed her poly, this however, has never been confirmed by LE. But I believe they did tell her that and I believe they lied. Although polygraph results are not admissible in a court of law, they are most certainly allowed in the court of public opinion and often times serve only to sway said opinion. It has also been reported that the cadaver dogs hit on a location in DB & JI's bedroom, I believe this too was a lie, designed by LE to put public pressure on DB. There is also the little fact that LE continues to say that DB & JI aren't cooperating, aren't answering certain questions, all the while DB & JI insist through their attorney that they are cooperating. So failed poly, drunk mom, decomp in bedroom, and not cooperating...I'd pretty much say they have vilified DB.
With that said; I agree wholeheartedly that DB was extremely irresponsible to get drunk while caring for the children, but I do not believe that makes her a murderer. I don't even know if I believe that makes her 100% responsible for the disappearance of her daughter. Who knows, she could have been stone cold sober and Lisa might still have been abducted.
Again it's just my opinion and that I believe is the greatest thing about WS, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

my bolding

LE can't be blamed for any of that. They never came out and said anything in the media about the poly, it was DB herself who told the media about the failed poly, so blame her for that. Was she trying to sway public opinion to feel sorry for her?

LE also went to court to try to have the details of search warrant stricken from the media, they lost, so they can't be blamed for that either.

The simple fact is that they aren't cooperating, LE needs more vital questions answered, LE never said that they couldn't have their attorneys present during questioning. DB doesn't run the investigation, neither do their attorneys.

It seems to me that the LE bashing is not based on the true facts of the case.

JMHO

1. LE didn't hold a press conference and tell us that DB failed a LDT. They can't be trying to vilify her over the LDT because that came straight from DB herself.

2. We can argue the validity of the hit, but it was used in an affidavit to the judge in an attempt to get a search warrant. I don't think LE would lie in an affidavit. They also didn't hold a press conference and tell us that there was a hit. I think they actually tried to get that sealed. So again. . .can't use that for trying to vilify DB.

3. I guess that depends on what definition of "cooperating" one uses, so that one is up for debate.

ETA-annalia beat me too it.

my bolding

LE can't be blamed for any of that. They never came out and said anything in the media about the poly, it was DB herself who told the media about the failed poly, so blame her for that. Was she trying to sway public opinion to feel sorry for her?

LE also went to court to try to have the details of search warrant stricken from the media, they lost, so they can't be blamed for that either.

The simple fact is that they aren't cooperating, LE needs more vital questions answered, LE never said that they couldn't have their attorneys present during questioning. DB doesn't run the investigation, neither do their attorneys.

It seems to me that the LE bashing is not based on the true facts of the case.

JMHO

BBM. That, indeed. If DB wants to get past "I am sure I am being considered a suspect" , why does she not offer up more interviews and tests to LE? Why is she not making that a priority in her life? Why walling up instead? So counterproductive! IMOO, the fam is reaping what they have sewed. Would we all be so skeptical of them if they were working their butts off giving LE all they needed? If they had from the get go, and CONTINUED to do so no matter how hard and hurtful?? As it was never as hard or hurtful as their baby loss?

I know ~I~ for one would be on the fence then. Now, not even near it.

1. LE didn't hold a press conference and tell us that DB failed a LDT. They can't be trying to vilify her over the LDT because that came straight from DB herself.

2. We can argue the validity of the hit, but it was used in an affidavit to the judge in an attempt to get a search warrant. I don't think LE would lie in an affidavit. They also didn't hold a press conference and tell us that there was a hit. I think they actually tried to get that sealed. So again. . .can't use that for trying to vilify DB.

3. I guess that depends on what definition of "cooperating" one uses, so that one is up for debate.

ETA-annalia beat me too it.

could have written your post, except added this

4. "drunk mom"- wasn't this also info that came from DB? correct me if i'm wrong.

it is so important to know the sources of our information. If I thought LE had told the public all those things, I would be wary of them too.

the only thing i have heard them say is, the the Irwins are not being cooperative in that they have not been interviewed since October 8 or answered questions that LE has to ask them.

since we are sort of off topic of this thread.
has anyone seen this:
i posted in the media links about twenty minutes ago found it to be interesting news that again the lawyers have spun something that may not be true.

MOOMOOMOOMOO

it's new this morning. if there is a thread for this, let me know.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nation...pposedly-implicated-handyman-in-disappearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500