Police say parents are not answering vital questions #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain to me for why Debbie and Jeremy should subject themselves to separate interrogation?

Respectfully snipped by me..

MOO Sometimes people are more open without their "other half" to hear the answers. Maybe DB doesn't want to verbalize who else was in the home that night because she doesn't want JI to find out. :waitasec:

I think when police say someone is not fully cooperating, it's their way of saying they want to interrogate a person of interest and whoever it is (in this case the parents) are not allowing that to happen.

It's the way for police to tell us, the viewing public, that they really want to break open whatever story or stories they have heard thus far and they are frustrated because their person (or in this case couple) of interest is not allowing it.

I can't really blame anyone for not allowing themselves to be interrogated. That is a tool used to get a confession or at least play one person against the other. You'd have to be blind, deaf and have never watched any TV to think that this level of cooperation is just a friendly chat with law enforcement.

Then again, people who have nothing to hide, hide nothing, even when it is uncomfortable to have the light of suspicion shined on you. If it were me and I had nothing to hide, I'd be banging on the doors of law enforcement daily begging them to polygraph me...question me...do anything to help me find my missing loved one.

And if I were guilty of a crime...I would not cooperate.

Read into that as you will with how these parents are handling things.

That's my point though, I don't think LE can move past them, regardless of what they say. I think they may think the same thing. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I think coming in for interviews. whether any new information is revealed or any unresolved issues are cleared might make LE feel that the parents are on their side, that they have the same goal, to find Lisa. If the parents were coming on tv, thanking the investigators for all their hard work, thanking the public for their interest and support, appealing to local citizens to come forth if they think they might have pertinent information, noticed usual behavior, etc., LE would be more inclined to pursue alternative theories of the crime, (although I do think they are conducting parallel investigations anyway). The parents having an antagonistic relationship with LE is not furthering the investigation or doing anything to improve LE's or the public's perception of their truthfulness which would seem unwise if the parents are innocent. If the parents do have something to hide, it is probably in their best interests to lie low, ride out the public's interest in this case and wait until all leads dry up and this case goes cold. All MOO

Can someone please explain to me for why Debbie and Jeremy should subject themselves to separate interrogation? Unless LE are looking for them incriminate themselves. ~I really want to know this.
And I can't see why they shouldn't answer question together if LE just wants information.

The Constitution states that no one has to incriminate themselves. God knows which Amendment, but I know that it is there somewhere.
Brits don't have a Constitution as such, but we do have a right to remain Silent. This does not presuppose Guilt.

So really, what LE is suggesting and what some people are supposing is that if Debbie and Jeremy don't relinquish their given Rights then they are guilty.
I somewhat doubt that this is what The Constitution meant when first it was written.

And don't you all hate a smart arse who isn't an American, and still knows what The Constitution stands for. This is meant as a joke, by the way. Well, almost.
I can only thank you all for my present understanding. I sincerely hope that you are all very proud of what you have. It might be you one day.

Of course LE tries to make people confess and incriminate themselves. It's their job to solve crimes. Lawyers would be present, and it's their job to make sure their clients don't incriminate themselves. People are free to exercise their fifth amendment rights and can't be forced to make statements and testify in trials. That doesn't mean LE is going to give up or not wonder why individuals are clamming up. All MOO

IIRC the possibility of blacking out was suggested to her by the interviewer and it could be she just took it as a suitable explanation for why her story changed. It didn't sound like she was convinced about it imo.

I didn't take it exactly the same way. I thought that she was trying to be excruciatingly honest, and could not say absolutely that she couldn't have possibly blacked out. (After all, how would you remember if you blacked out? That's the whole problem with blacking out - you do things that you later have no memory of.) I also took it the same way about her checking on the baby at 10:30. I "read" her answer as being that she may not remember doing it specifically, but knows that she normally does. If she did, then surely she would have seen IF Lisa was missing at that time. But since she doesn't specifically remember looking in, it's possible she didn't.

That was just my own impression when I first saw it, and honestly, I was really confused when people started picking that to pieces. It just seemed so understandable, lol. I know NOW why everyone didn't see it that way but it still seems like maybe half of us interpreted it that way and the other half saw it completely differently.

By the way It's not just alcohol that can make people "forget" doing things, especially things that we do out of habit. Most people would not be able to say exactly what they did the night before. They would remember much of it, but like EXACTLY what time did you start cooking dinner? Do you remember putting a specific paper towel in the trash? Do you remember brushing your teeth? You know you did it because you always do, but do you recall the actual act of it? I have said goodnight to my daughter before, and then been surprised to find that she went to bed. Even when my hubby reminds me that I said goodnight to her, I can't really remember it. I believe that is normal, so I never thought it was particularly weird that DB didn't remember the actual act of looking at her baby. The brain can't remember every single detail, and once something leaves the working memory, if it doesn't go into LTM, it's gone. And no amount of thinking will get it back. IF she is innocent, and IF she is telling the truth, she would have had no reason for remembering that act (looking at Lisa), if there was nothing wrong at that time.

Of course LE tries to make people confess and incriminate themselves. It's their job to solve crimes. Lawyers would be present, and it's their job to make sure their clients don't incriminate themselves. People are free to exercise their fifth amendment rights and can't be forced to make statements and testify in trials. That doesn't mean LE is going to give up or not wonder why individuals are clamming up. All MOO

So what is the point if Debbie and Jeremy are going to be selective with their answers?
Better not to go there alone in the first place. I certainly wouldn't.

I don't understand the attention aspect I think DB and JI stay to far from the media. They seem to shun all reporters and all the attention. They came out told their story to the media got picked apart and now don't even use the medial at all. The interviews were on different channels besides ABC and they're attorney has been on many different networks. I honestly think if anyone has a deal it is fox, they seem to be the outlet pushing stories the most.......I get people think DB did it I have even said I think the parents should make more statements to the media pleading for their daughter. I see nothing that makes DB look like a media hound looking for fame. Seems to me she isn't saying enough to the media and isn't out there enough.

BBM

I agree with you Nixie, remember the Holloway, Laci Peterson cases, et al. Those mothers never gave up. It broke my heart watching them. I'm sure most of us here would be begging the media to put my baby's picture out there, or let me get my plea on air time. If I wasn't doing that, I'd be at LE's door, or out hanging posters. Something is very wrong with this picture..MO

I think coming in for interviews. whether any new information is revealed or any unresolved issues are cleared might make LE feel that the parents are on their side, that they have the same goal, to find Lisa. If the parents were coming on tv, thanking the investigators for all their hard work, thanking the public for their interest and support, appealing to local citizens to come forth if they think they might have pertinent information, noticed usual behavior, etc., LE would be more inclined to pursue alternative theories of the crime, (although I do think they are conducting parallel investigations anyway). The parents having an antagonistic relationship with LE is not furthering the investigation or doing anything to improve LE's or the public's perception of their truthfulness which would seem unwise if the parents are innocent. If the parents do have something to hide, it is probably in their best interests to lie low, ride out the public's interest in this case and wait until all leads dry up and this case goes cold. All MOO

But keep one thing in mind. The last time that the parents were interrogated, they (say they were) were lured to the station by being told that LE had some important new lead on the case, or something like that. The get to the station and find out that was not true, and they were then separated and grilled.

I am pretty sure that I would stop trusting those people at that point. I would start thinking that they were NOT trying to find my baby, but were trying to frame me. And I would never set foot in that place again. I would then do what these parents have apparently done, and turn to the FBI to help find my baby. Like these people have done, I would continue answering questions from local LE, but in MY living room, with my lawyer at my side.

I didn't take it exactly the same way. I thought that she was trying to be excruciatingly honest, and could not say absolutely that she couldn't have possibly blacked out. (After all, how would you remember if you blacked out? That's the whole problem with blacking out - you do things that you later have no memory of.) I also took it the same way about her checking on the baby at 10:30. I "read" her answer as being that she may not remember doing it specifically, but knows that she normally does. If she did, then surely she would have seen IF Lisa was missing at that time. But since she doesn't specifically remember looking in, it's possible she didn't.

That was just my own impression when I first saw it, and honestly, I was really confused when people started picking that to pieces. It just seemed so understandable, lol. I know NOW why everyone didn't see it that way but it still seems like maybe half of us interpreted it that way and the other half saw it completely differently.

By the way It's not just alcohol that can make people "forget" doing things, especially things that we do out of habit. Most people would not be able to say exactly what they did the night before. They would remember much of it, but like EXACTLY what time did you start cooking dinner? Do you remember putting a specific paper towel in the trash? Do you remember brushing your teeth? You know you did it because you always do, but do you recall the actual act of it? I have said goodnight to my daughter before, and then been surprised to find that she went to bed. Even when my hubby reminds me that I said goodnight to her, I can't really remember it. I believe that is normal, so I never thought it was particularly weird that DB didn't remember the actual act of looking at her baby. The brain can't remember every single detail, and once something leaves the working memory, if it doesn't go into LTM, it's gone. And no amount of thinking will get it back. IF she is innocent, and IF she is telling the truth, she would have had no reason for remembering that act (looking at Lisa), if there was nothing wrong at that time.

That is how I saw it. Debbie didn't specifically remember doing something that she normally did automatically. But since it might have been important, in case the baby was stolen before she went to bed, she told the truth. And what a pile of suspicion that got her into.
And I swear to God that she wouldn't have been believed if she had stated that she did remember. Someone would have said that this wasn't possible as people's memories fail them in moments of crisis.
Damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

And heaven help me if I am ever expected to remember exactly what I did on the evening before.

That is how I saw it. Debbie didn't specifically remember doing something that she normally did automatically. But since it might have been important, in case the baby was stolen before she went to bed, she told the truth. And what a pile of suspicion that got her into.
And I swear to God that she wouldn't have been believed if she had stated that she did remember. Someone would have said that this wasn't possible as people's memories fail them in moments of crisis.
Damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

And heaven help me if I am ever expected to remember exactly what I did on the evening before.

I actually think that women who choose to imbibe to even near black out stage rather than soothe a sick baby and check on her two other boys all night should be d*mned lucky they don't lose their children and face jail time for neglect.

So what is the point if Debbie and Jeremy are going to be selective with their answers?
Better not to go there alone in the first place. I certainly wouldn't.

I agree. If they have something to hide, it's in their best interest not to come in for furthering questioning. All MOO

But keep one thing in mind. The last time that the parents were interrogated, they (say they were) were lured to the station by being told that LE had some important new lead on the case, or something like that. The get to the station and find out that was not true, and they were then separated and grilled.

I am pretty sure that I would stop trusting those people at that point. I would start thinking that they were NOT trying to find my baby, but were trying to frame me. And I would never set foot in that place again. I would then do what these parents have apparently done, and turn to the FBI to help find my baby. Like these people have done, I would continue answering questions from local LE, but in MY living room, with my lawyer at my side.

Granted we are all different, but I'd be like "Fine. HALF of you treat me like I'm guilty, try to find evidence to stick me in jail. But the other half of you, please assume I'm not guilty and keep looking for my baby. I'm begging you".

Are the cops hung up on the parents (mom) being responsible for the disappearance? Perhaps. We don't know. If they are, and they are wrong, it really does suck, and that's putting it mildly. But if the parents avoid dealing with it, then baby Lisa will never be found.

Has anyone that thinks deb killed her daughter ever come up with a motive, I can't think of any. She has another child and she never killed him when she drank before, so I don't think we can blame it on the booze. Anyone?
Could there be an accidental death directly caused by mother's drinking which lead to panic and coverup?

my bolding

I don't remember this, the parents turned to the FBI to help find their baby? Where does that come from? Also where does it come from that these people ( I assume you mean DB and JI) are continuing to answer questions for LE but from their living room?

I agree. If they have something to hide, it's in their best interest not to come in for furthering questioning. All MOO

It is also in their best interests if they don't have something to hide. In this case, they have said all that they can. There is nothing further that will help.

Well, recently JI was quoted in MSM as saying "every day gets better" and they are "getting back to 100% of their normal lives". Maybe not exact quotes, but close. Link already posted here in Lisa's forum; it was about them moving back into their house recently.

Very odd things to say, IMO. The quotes came via one of their attorneys.

How can they get back to 100% of their normal lives when 20% of their family has been missing since 10/4? Whether it's DB or JI themselves, or their various spokespeople, in the media...it just always seems suspicious or "foot in mouth" syndrome.

:crazy:

Back on topic, I haven't heard anything recently about LE talking about their cooperation. Last I heard, LE wants to question them separately, isn't requiring "no attorney present", wants tough questions answered, wants to know "who came and went". JMO, but I'm sure there are a lot more questions they want answered, based on info acquired from other people interviewed and evidence collected in the various searches and search warrant search of their home. A lot has happened since 10/8 (last time DB/JI talked with LE in person (with legal representation, but not separately). JMO.

The father of Lisa made the claim their life is getting back to normal? Strange comment.

It is also in their best interests if they don't have something to hide. In this case, they have said all that they can. There is nothing further that will help.

I disagree with you though, LE stated not to long ago that they needed to know who was in and out of the house that evening, and DB isn't answering. Obviously LE still has questions that they CAN (MOO) answer.

But since she doesn't specifically remember looking in, it's possible she didn't.

Respectfully snipped by me to save space...

She did state remembering checking on the boys though, so how can she remember checking on the boys, but not her sick 10 month old?

Granted we are all different, but I'd be like "Fine. HALF of you treat me like I'm guilty, try to find evidence to stick me in jail. But the other half of you, please assume I'm not guilty and keep looking for my baby. I'm begging you".

Are the cops hung up on the parents (mom) being responsible for the disappearance? Perhaps. We don't know. If they are, and they are wrong, it really does suck, and that's putting it mildly. But if the parents avoid dealing with it, then baby Lisa will never be found.

Debbie said something early on, when she was first talking about all this, and being afraid she was going to be arrested. I am paraphrasing, but she said something like "the reason I don't want to be locked up is because then everyone will stop looking for Lisa." That just rung true to me. I mean - there are a whole LOT of reasons to not want to be locked up, but that was the one she gave. And, she is not wrong. Once a viable suspect is arrested, LE usually stops looking. They just don't have the resources to keep investigating once a case is "solved."

I'd not seen that, but it gives me chills. I believe a common denominator in parents of abducted children is that life is never, ever, EVER in any way the same. Ever.

I can't imagine what it would be like. For me I liken it to loosing an arm or a leg. I could never in all eternity feel normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname