Police search for murder clues in e-mail

Jenifred said:
Waiting? No, I won't do it! I won't go back there!!!

LOL - I agree Jen. But, my guess is that computer forensics take a lot less time than lab results... (surely that's the case???? anyone???)

SouthEastSleuth said:
LOL - I agree Jen. But, my guess is that computer forensics take a lot less time than lab results... (surely that's the case???? anyone???)

As long as there's not a huge backlog and the case is a priority.

I wonder if Raven is anything like the main character of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart"? I wonder if he hears Janet's voice calling to him and her heart beating and maybe, just maybe he is going insane in his own little world.

Why did it take LE THIS long to get a warrant for the computer files?
Raven has probably had plenty of time to get rid of files. Hopefully, much of what was emailed can be traced like many of you have suggested.

LE needs to nail Raven's *advertiser censored**!

Well, it's about &%$#* time. I've been waiting for something like this, that's why I've been so absent... no news to really cover on this case and I had a feeling the pd was being oh-so-deliberate in their handling of this. It was also getting to me. Read too much of Raven's self-lovin' online and it started to feel gross.

Let's hope this leads somewhere.

Mr. A

I don't think that LE is the least bit interested in giving Raven a heads up. So I've been thinking about why else they would release this information. The only thing I've come up with so far is that perhaps there is someone that's been questioned by LE previously that hasn't been forthcoming. Perhaps there is some potentially incriminating e-mail between this person and Raven, and this is a message to that other person. Could LE be looking to turn someone against Raven or to jog someone's memory about something? Maybe scare someone into coming forward, worrying that they could get caught up in this mess if they don't divulge what they know?

I'm also wondering where LE got this disk. Does anyone want to speculate?

chicoliving said:
If the above is accurate then for a coworker to be online exchanging IM's or emails with Janet, Janet would have to be on the laptop....the one that was "stolen"...do I have this right so far?
Yep. And that's why I find this wording from the article so interesting:

Investigators requested correspondence to and from the two accounts between noon on April 1 and 5 p.m. May 16 to determine "if any electronic mailing occurred prior to, during or after the murder of Janet Abaroa," according to the affidavit.

heraldsun.com: Police search for murder clues in e-mail

Just a thought. Could suspicion be falling on the co-worker who supposedly was corresponding with Janet before the murder?
We know that Janet was corresponding with a co worker, either via email or IM. That co worker ended up at the crime scene at some point that night. The computer that Janet was using is not listed on the search warrants, presumbably is missing. LE had evidently not made any attempts prior to this to determine what was said in any emails. Now suddenly they are getting a search warrant to obtain that info. If LE doesn't have the computer, then I would assume that the warrant is on the ISP- the ISP would then download the emails to a computer disc and give to LE. ISP's normally will not give out the info on an email acct without a warrant. LE is requesting:
In requesting the disk, Vaughan states in the affidavit that he was seeking connection and disconnection dates and times, all files that have been accessed by the two accounts and all stored communications to and from the accounts.
Now if the person Janet was communicating with said that Janet said something suspicious to them in an email, I would think that LE would have sought this warrant earlier in looking at Raven. But they didn't. But suddenly months later, they have questions about that acct. This could be a result of a review of the case and someone just said- let's take a look at who all Janet was communicating with, and what all she said, what her mood was, what she was thinking or concerned about. Or it could have come about as a result of something someone said that didn't hold up in questioning of the person, or was different from what developed as a result of questioning others. The article doesn't say what two accts. Do they mean Raven's acct and Janet's? I wouldn't think that he would have kept any incriminating emails, and he may have had her password (or home computer users use cookies) so he could have cleaned her acct also. I don't think that ISP's keep records of the deleted emails. Could Janet have had two accts? She could have had one professional acct and also a personal one. Many people do. Or are they talking about the accts of Janet and the person she was communicating with? Is the warrant accessible?

misterallgood said:
Well, it's about &%$#* time. I've been waiting for something like this, that's why I've been so absent... no news to really cover on this case and I had a feeling the pd was being oh-so-deliberate in their handling of this. It was also getting to me. Read too much of Raven's self-lovin' online and it started to feel gross.

Let's hope this leads somewhere.

Mr. A
Welcome back Mr AG!! We've missed you!!

That's a good point. I forgot all about the co-worker who may have been there.

Does anyone know if IMs are recorded somewhere?

mysteriew said:
Could Janet have had two accts? She could have had one professional acct and also a personal one. Many people do. Or are they talking about the accts of Janet and the person she was communicating with? Is the warrant accessible?
I went back and read it again. I think that when they say two accounts they mean Janet's and Raven's.

Ooh, and is it possible Raven could have started using Janet's email account after the murder? But he also could have just gone to any free email site and set up his own dummy account. I was just thinking out loud and found the flaws myself--nevermind.

Jenifred said:
Does anyone know if IMs are recorded somewhere?
With most messenger programs, there is an option to "Automatically keep a history of my conversations." The user can select a directory in which to store conversations, kinda like e-mails. There is an option to never save a conversation...but that said, I don't know if traces or tracks of a conversation can't EVER be retrieved.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something useful will be found...

FYI -

I just watched the local ABC news, WTVD - and they also did a story about the email warrant, etc. They showed old footage from the crime scene, etc. The interesting thing they reported was that the warrant specifically was for GOOGLE accounts ("for both Abaroas"). Guess this makes some sense, as we know Raven at one point at least was using a gmail account.

I'll post a link to the story once they post it online. (Or someone else post if you come across it first).

Ok, here's the link to the story:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=triangle&id=3358729

golfmom said:
This is the section that's a little murky to me. Requesting versus seizing.

"Durham police Detective S.W. Vaughan seized a computer disk Aug. 10 containing the relevant information.

In requesting the disk, Vaughan states in the affidavit that he was seeking connection and disconnection dates and times, all files that have been accessed by the two accounts and all stored communications to and from the accounts."
HI GM, I believe seize basically means subpoenaed in this case, as most ISP's or Email Providers do not willingly give-up this information without a subpoena. That is the terminology used in a cases wherein the PD subpoenaed records at the firms in Chicago that I worked for.

Jenifred said:
I'm also wondering where LE got this disk. Does anyone want to speculate?
The Disk is probably the subpoenaed information from Google (gmail email account) and perhaps any hits to google.

I believe that there is quite possibly still information out there pending from the Internet Service Provider which would show which sites were accessed. Since Google is not an ISP, that information would also be very valuable. The ISP is the provider of the internet connection and since each customer is issued a number, they could track from the laptop connection to the sites visited during that period of time.

-----------
Another comment regarding the co-workers of Janets, that they were emailing back and forth with Janet, or tried IM'g Janet and she did not answer. They did not show up at the house the night of the murder, they came to the house the next day.

One thing regarding those emails or IM's, perhaps Janet had talked about problems in the marriage and that is what the co-worker really had concern about, and why the co-worker showed up the next day and perhaps that is something that LE is looking at.

It had to be really rough to be married to such a controlling, egotistical guy like Raven.

When I first read the article, I got the impression that LE subpoened gmail for the activity on raven and Janet's email accounts. After receiving the court issued subpoena, gmail provided LE with a disk of the activity from 4-1-05 to 5-16-05. WHAT IF it shows that raven emailed someone after he returned home from the soccer game and before he called 911?? And by ditching the laptop, he figured no one would know.....could he have been that stupid?

My questions: what is an affidavit made by LE? Who did they make the affidavit to? Why did it take so long for LE to request the info? If there is anything there, you would think this info would have been requested months ago:waitasec:

"We're just slowly going through it," Vaughan said Tuesday night. "Nothing has popped up so far."

So Vaughan must be the new detective assigned to the case. Oh, maybe this is why it is happening now. Benny didn't think to do this?? It looks like they have alot of info to sort through, let's hope something shows up!

ewwwinteresting said:
WHAT IF it shows that raven emailed someone after he returned home from the soccer game and before he called 911?? And by ditching the laptop, he figured no one would know.....could he have been that stupid?
Well, as we know there is something tell-tale on that computer. So telling, that it's gone missing. And wouldn't that be something if someone got off some email or stopped by some website around the time of the murder or 911 call?

Now, computer savvy people, can the ISP really provide LE with a list of websites visited between those dates? Or if Google could provide login times of their email accounts?

golfmom said:
But hard drive of the computer? Remember, RememberJanet, some big-ole bad murderer stole the laptop and didn't take anything else.
Hmmmm. you think that big-ole bad person felt guilty about stealing the laptop and turned it in?? Maybe he was trying to get the crimestoppers reward money:waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann
Back