Post-Verdict:Jose Baez-Sanctions? Florida Bar Investigation!

I just read in the news thread that Baez would get the chance to defend himself if probable cause is found, and he'd get a trial with a "referee". Oh please, let Baez be his own attorney. I want to see him go down in flames really defending himself! (And if it gets public at some point because of probable cause, we'd get to watch! WOOT!)

Could it be when JB kept "misrepresenting" facts in court to Judge Perry, I forget the exact legal wording, but it was to me when I would see His Honor get the angriest was about JB's experts having to submit "written reports", and there was a deadline, and JB kept misrepresenting what and when he told his experts about. I particularly remember one witness, when Judge Perry actually questioned the witness himself about whether or not JB told him he had to submit a written report, and the witness (a man) said JB did not, etc. Judge Perry became very angry.....and I think threatened sanctions and I thought he would really follow through on it he appeared so ticked at JB.....

does anyone remember what I am talking about?

This is an excellent thought! Also, didn't we have posters on here who were contacted during the fishing expedition from the courthouse? IIRC, the wording they were using to get the people to talk to them was less than straight-forward. Weren't there complaints from searchers who felt harrassed and lied to?

Yes, Thanks. Didn't Judge Perry then actually NOT let this witness testify, if I am recalling correctly, I wish I could remember what his expertise was.......

But I think JB was barred from questioning the witness on the main purpose of his testimony..

anyway, my 2 cents on the matter.

IMO, MOO, etc.

I think so too, I just don't remember that part as well. But you sound right. Or maybe he limited Baez on what he could question the expert on...Dangit, I can't remember!

The only thing that gives me pause with that is that JB could always say that KC only told him the "accident" story right at the end, just before trial. Still, there are just SOOOO many things that it could be in my mind. I do not know if any of them are actually legally inappropriate as much as they are morally inappropriate. The brokering of picture sales comes to mind. Also, the hugging and touching. Then there's the use of public funds to investigate people who "searched the area that the remains were found in" that ended up calling people who searched nowhere near there. All of the money that was paid to the PI, much of which, IIRC, was reported in a less than obvious manner, such as "$2000.00 for travel" and he only went to the next county. Taking money from TL and LKB for use on the case. The list goes on and on. Hopefully, someone will get the exacts on it soon!

BBM. If this drowning was Baez's idea, it makes since that C Mason would go to any length (such as questioning FCA's sanity) to keep her from testifying and possibly blabbing. Hmmmm. Looks like in the end, he was able to convince her that Linda Drane would have ripped her to shreds (and them??).

JMO

I think so too, I just don't remember that part as well. But you sound right. Or maybe he limited Baez on what he could question the expert on...Dangit, I can't remember!

actually if it is what I am now recalling a little better, HHJP stopped court early for the day so that JA could take the deposition of this witness, so JA took the depo on a Sunday...??? something like that.

In any event, if this particular complaint of "misrepresentation" (ie misrepresentation to the Court ) the 2 they are looking into came from HHJP (just pure speculation on my part), I would think it would be about that little matter of JB's MASSIVE, CONSTANT discovery violations throughout the trial.

:maddening:

IMo, MOO, etc.

IMO, MOO, etc.

actually if it is what I am now recalling a little better, HHJP stopped court early for the day so that JA could take the deposition of this witness, so JA took the depo on a Sunday...??? something like that.

In any event, if this particular complaint of "misrepresentation" (ie misrepresentation to the Court ) the 2 they are looking into came from HHJP (just pure speculation on my part), I would think it would be about that little matter of JB's MASSIVE, CONSTANT discovery violations throughout the trial.

:maddening:

IMo, MOO, etc.

IMO, MOO, etc.

..this guy...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/06/18/florida.casey.anthony.trial/index.html

Chief Judge Belvin Perry ordered the first defense witness off the stand and threatened attorney Jose Baez with contempt proceedings for failing to tell prosecutors about the man's planned testimony.

Forensic anthropologist William Rodriguez told Judge Belvin Perry after the jury had been excused that he was preparing to testify that no conclusions can be drawn from duct tape found near the girl's body because of decomposition and movement of the bones by animals.

But Rodriguez' opinions were not contained in his report filed with the court, and weren't shared with prosecutors. That violated Perry's rule that all expert testimony be shared with opposing attorneys, Perry said.

"It appears to me that this was quite intentional," Perry said to Baez. "This was not some inadvertent slip."
He ordered Rodriguez off the stand, but said he will be allowed to testify on Monday, after prosecutors have a chance to interview him

Thanks for that Laurelj - I remember that issue with Rodrigues alright - but there was something else that is ticking away in the very very back of my brain.

I remember well before the trial even started something happened that some kind of Bar complaint was filed against Baez and we all wondered what would happen if he was suspended - would the trial be delayed or would OCA have to get a new lawyer or ...:waitasec:

The only thing I really remember is Bill S, saying no, the trial wouldn't be affected because this matter wouldn't even really get underway until late summer or the fall - but do you think I can remember what it was?...:banghead:

Thanks for that Laurelj - I remember that issue with Rodrigues alright - but there was something else that is ticking away in the very very back of my brain.

I remember well before the trial even started something happened that some kind of Bar complaint was filed against Baez and we all wondered what would happen if he was suspended - would the trial be delayed or would OCA have to get a new lawyer or ...:waitasec:

The only thing I really remember is Bill S, saying no, the trial wouldn't be affected because this matter wouldn't even really get underway until late summer or the fall - but do you think I can remember what it was?...:banghead:

I also remember this, LG! I'll have to try to look back and see if I can find what was going on at that time! Unless someone more skilled in searching beats me to it! *hint hint* Lol!

did it have anything to do with that alleged "witness tampering" re: TES searchers, that woman who supposedly was prepared to "misrepresent" that they searched the exact area where Caylee was ultimately found, but that Caylee's body definitely was not there, so bring on Roy Kronk and the alleged "moving of the body" ...... she allegedly falsified a TES search document ....

was that around that time frame you are thinking? I know you have all of this stuff in your brain and I am not telling you anything you haven't already thought of, I am just trying to think of the MOST EGREGIOUS of JB's misconduct, because God knows, there is plenty to choose from :maddening:

IMO, MOO, etc.

did it have anything to do with that alleged "witness tampering" re: TES searchers, that woman who supposedly was prepared to "misrepresent" that they searched the exact area where Caylee was ultimately found, but that Caylee's body definitely was not there, so bring on Roy Kronk and the alleged "moving of the body" ...... she allegedly falsified a TES search document ....

was that around that time frame you are thinking? I know you have all of this stuff in your brain and I am not telling you anything you haven't already thought of, I am just trying to think of the MOST EGREGIOUS of JB's misconduct, because God knows, there is plenty to choose from :maddening:

IMO, MOO, etc.

Oh, yes! Good one! Wasn't this falsified document filed with the court? Thats a real good possibility for "misrepresentation"! I posted earlier that there were too many to recall. We could be here all day listing the things that JB did that fall under this category! Lol!

I'd just love to see him get a verbal smack down, publicly of course, by a committee of his peers and superiors, have his license suspended for at least 60 days and all his dirty laundry concerning FCA aired, including the little reenactment of "Lady and the Tramp" between those two!

Heh, Heh.....I love being catty when it comes to that incorrigible piece of work. He deserves all that comes to him! And his ______ client FCA too!

I am absolutely fascinated by the fact that baez will pay for what he's done longer and harder (forgive the mental pic plz) than OCA ever did for her "shortcomings"

I would have never thought I would see the day that she's holed up in his basement horking taco bell while he's getting reamed out in court :floorlaugh:

Oh, yes! Good one! Wasn't this falsified document filed with the court? Thats a real good possibility for "misrepresentation"! I posted earlier that there were too many to recall. We could be here all day listing the things that JB did that fall under this category! Lol!

Can you believe, as you posted, there are too many to recall?? An attorney might be bad enough to get ONE complaint in his lifetime, JB has had numerous and we are now picking through item after possible item to see which flagrant violation it might be :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Wonder if JB is mortified complaints against him are surfacing again, or if he really doesn't care? :woohoo:

IMO, MOO, etc.

Yes, you are thinking specifically of L. Buchanan - and yes, I believe she did falsify her documents but I don't know if that one actually stuck to JB or not...

And I remember JB getting that sanction for not meeting evidence deadlines in court - all $580 or something close he had to pay...

I just can-not remember....

I am absolutely fascinated by the fact that baez will pay for what he's done longer and harder (forgive the mental pic plz) than OCA ever did for her "shortcomings"

I would have never thought I would see the day that she's holed up in his basement horking taco bell while he's getting reamed out in court :floorlaugh:

I concur,

this is why I often think it is better that she was found NG, both her and JB are NOT living the Bella Vita either one of them thought was coming their way when that verdict was read in court. :woohoo:

Can you believe, as you posted, there are too many to recall?? An attorney might be bad enough to get ONE complaint in his lifetime, JB has had numerous and we are now picking through item after possible item to see which flagrant violation it might be :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Wonder if JB is mortified complaints against him are surfacing again, or if he really doesn't care? :woohoo:

IMO, MOO, etc.

Wasn't he boasting very recently on TMZ that he'd had 20 complaints which most or all very good lawyers would be mortified at two! But no, he claims it's because he takes on the tough ones and is passionate about his work..:eek: ...:banghead:

IMO, MOO, etc.

Well, not that I'm condoning Baez, but lawyers are a bit like cops - disgruntled persons can file all sorts of baseless complaints. Depending on the area of law, it's not unusual to have a handful of complaints that haven't gone anywhere because there's no merit to them.

Question. Why do you all think Cheney Mason had FCA tested for competency near the end of the trial? You all might think I am nuts but I really think it was to stop her from testifying (even though she didn't and was found ok to do so).

This is eating at me.

Well, not that I'm condoning Baez, but lawyers are a bit like cops - disgruntled persons can file all sorts of baseless complaints. Depending on the area of law, it's not unusual to have a handful of complaints that haven't gone anywhere because there's no merit to them.

That's probably true ... but 20 in his very short career ?? .... Also, I would expect most of the complaints to be from disgruntled clients ? not judges and other lawyers ... IMO Jose has probably set a record for the number of complaints as compared to years in practice and number of cases ... JMO ... I know I wouldn't hire a lawyer with that kind of record ... just sayin ...

Question. Why do you all think Cheney Mason had FCA tested for competency near the end of the trial? You all might think I am nuts but I really think it was to stop her from testifying (even though she didn't and was found ok to do so).

This is eating at me.

Well that was all a bit rushed if I remember right - and emergency motion?
I kinda suspect OCA and Baez had a big bust up about evidence and testimony and OCA was threatening all kinds of things.

Since they know that woman cannot open her mouth without lying and doing herself even more damage, and if at that point they couldn't get her to agree not to testify, then I think they did their darndest to get her declared nuts..
er..incompetent, to cover their own butts...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CASHxGK
Back