Powell's Graham house a 'fake,' investigators say

I take it if Josh wasn't living in the house, LE was to keeping tabs on him. He had not committed a crime in Washington State (that is a lame excuse).

That seems possible. But why could firefighters see so easily that it was staged - and DFS couldn't? That is what I am wondering.

Through the clarity of hindsight, I would think.

This was reported on Dateline or 20/20. They said he had hung up stuff on the walls and had stuff in the living room, toys for the boys, to make it appear that he lived there, but he only went there for the visitation. They had also mentioned they spoke with the landlady and said she rented to Josh because she believed people deserved second chances.

BBM. Poor lady. I'm sure she feels just as horrified by all of this - what a way to pay her back for trying to be a nice person.

I think that's called making a decision without enough information. :websleuther:

And now - no tenants, and even no house left to rent.

I wonder why so many people underestimated this guy. Yet it has been all over the news for years that he managed to make his wife disappear and basically got away with it. Why would anyone trust him? :waitasec:

Most of the people in my life don't know the ins and outs of any of these cases, even Kyron Horman who went missing less than two hours away. I've become their true crime reporter for those-who-want-the-facts.

And quite honestly, before Caylee's case, I only knew bits and pieces of cases and had no idea if the media was wrongly putting people in the spotlight.

Now, if I'd only use this learned lesson in other aspects of my life, I could make better decisions all the way around. :kimsterwink:

It is really too bad that LE did not figure out that Josh's house was a ruse before he blew up that house and murdered his kids. If he was still living at his father's house...why oh why, did LE not know that? I am beginning to think that LE in Utah and WA are throwing anything out there now to try to CYA.

wouldn't there have been a home visit with Children & Family Services to ensure his living space? wow -- I'm thinking CYA, too, but knowing the kind hearts of the Coxes, there really is no need . . . mhoo

I am guessing it's more than that. A couch but no lamps or anything else. No clothes in the closets, nothing in the cabinets, no toothbrushes in the bathroom. A very bare stage set. I wonder if we will find that DFS, in fact, never did check the home but simply began to drop the kids off there in a bare living room. I would like to know what the social worker sat on, and where, on prior visits to this house. Were the kids ever given food or a glass of water? Something is really fishy here for this info to break very soon after the fire was put out.

They could no doubt tell by what debris was left in a fire. They know what a fully stocked, lived-in house looks like after burning down. This probably had an empty garage, empty cupboards and closets and dressers. No linen in the linen closet. No shampoo or shaving supplies, etc. There was probably very little debris beyond basic furnishings.

They could no doubt tell by what debris was left in a fire. They know what a fully stocked, lived-in house looks like after burning down. This probably had an empty garage, empty cupboards and closets and dressers. No linen in the linen closet. No shampoo or shaving supplies, etc. There was probably very little debris beyond basic furnishings.

That is what I think too. There might be more of the house left than is normal because there wasn't as much to burn as in an ordinary house.

It just raises the question for me, what is DFS' idea of a "home check"?

It's always possible he set things up for the home check and then moved back out what he wanted back at his real home, leaving bits of the "set" there.

It's always possible he set things up for the home check and then moved back out what he wanted back at his real home, leaving bits of the "set" there.

True. That raises the question of family complicity. Obviously, people like Alina knew he didn't live there but was lying to the court.

True. That raises the question of family complicity. Obviously, people like Alina knew he didn't live there but was lying to the court.

Let's hope we see charges as such against her for lying for him. It would be well-deserved.

I also thought that FBI, investigators were watching him and were close to making an arrest. It doesn't sound like they were watching him too closely. jmo

I rented an apt once for 6 months .. had one recliner, two beds and a phone. I got my mail there and sometimes ate there. I spent most of that 6 months at my fiancee's house .. I'm sure there were folks that didn't think I "lived there" ..

I'm sure he got the house because he HAD TO. And to a point, it was a ruse. But I'm also sure JP had a hard time being by himself .. so he spent most of his time elsewhere..

They couldn't very well tell him that he had to spend X% of time at the house or it isnt' officially where he lives. Nor did they have the manpower to follow him 24/7 ....

I DO think JP had nepharious intentions.

I'm tired of hearing everyone else in the world getting the blame. People that obey the law are bound by the law ..

imo

BBM. I think it also may be possible.

Sorry for this long post. I wish they would set up a rant thread.

First, we know these supervised visits were for 3 hours. During that 3 hours, the SW had to have needed to use the restroom, how did no one notice he had no toothbrush, shampoo, hand towels, towels, etc. that you would normally see in a bathroom (BTW, I do not in any way blame the SW..just wondering if the house was still set up the last time she visited).

Second, if he did have this set up and then moved the things out after the hearing, THEN ALINA KNEW. There is no possible way she did not notice this, and I would not put it past her to have helped him stage the house.

Josh seemed to me to be lazy. I can see him getting Alina, at the least, help him set up/stage the house. Hanging pics, stocking kitchen, bathroom, and giving it that womanly touch, if you will.

Lastly, since LE now knows and suspected from the very beginning after the fire, WHY HAVE THEY NO ISSUED ANOTHER SEARCH WARRANT FOR SP'S HOUSE?

We know he was supposedly working from home; therefore, I am willing to bet his computer is at SP's home. WHY HAVE THEY NOT CONFISCATED THAT COMPUTER YET?

Remember how Scott Peterson did searches on his computer for the tidal waves for the bay he dumped Laci's body in?

How many criminals/murderers have they now caught by computer searches?

I have always felt if they had JP's computer, they would find clues to where Susan is. I had lost hope thinking it burned up in the fire. Now I am not so sure with this new information. The computer is the first thing I thought of.

I was wondering why the ONLY thing I could make out in the fire that resembled furniture was a kitchen chair. In the photos, on the back right side of the house, that was the kitchen. You can tell where the french doors had been and it looked like a metal kitchen chair in the pics.

I don't mean to sound like a not it all and appear to have and agenda against Alina, but I can't help for feeling that she knows so much more than she is letting on and it makes me angry.

THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED INFO: I may be getting this totally wrong, and I have no links...BUT I heard various discussions on the local news here (Seattle) which made me think that Josh had been having the supervised visits at his pastor's house (after complaining that prior visits, held somewhere where other families were as well, were not private enough). And that the fatal visit was somehow finagled so it could be at the rental house - like, the pastor thought that had been approved but it wasn't? Or something like that. In any case, I was left with the impression that the visits had not been occurring at the rental home. AGAIN, this may be my faulty understanding or a misconception. There was so much coverage here and, like everyone, I was in shock so maybe I got it wrong. But if it's correct, that would explain why CPS never had a chance to see that the house was staged. (I'm left wondering why he would bother to stage it if he had his horrible plans in place...but maybe he didn't plan too far in advance....shudder. Who can understand this??)

Also, if Alina did help him stage it, I would think that means only that she was doing usual Powell stuff: putting one over on The Man. I'm sure it never would have occurred to her that anything horrible was going to happen to the boys. But the Powells clearly don't like following rules or being told what to do. IMO!

I'm sure Alina knows a LOT more than she is letting on.

At the time, though, she was probably just "helping out her poor persecuted brother". In hindsight she is probably covering her aaaaaaaaa.... because it looks more like she was an enabler.

She's in survival mode and with the warped training these siblings had their whole life, I wouldn't bet on her giving it up until she, also, is backed into a corner.

imo

THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED INFO: I may be getting this totally wrong, and I have no links...BUT I heard various discussions on the local news here (Seattle) which made me think that Josh had been having the supervised visits at his pastor's house (after complaining that prior visits, held somewhere where other families were as well, were not private enough). And that the fatal visit was somehow finagled so it could be at the rental house - like, the pastor thought that had been approved but it wasn't? Or something like that. In any case, I was left with the impression that the visits had not been occurring at the rental home. AGAIN, this may be my faulty understanding or a misconception. There was so much coverage here and, like everyone, I was in shock so maybe I got it wrong. But if it's correct, that would explain why CPS never had a chance to see that the house was staged. (I'm left wondering why he would bother to stage it if he had his horrible plans in place...but maybe he didn't plan too far in advance....shudder. Who can understand this??)

Also, if Alina did help him stage it, I would think that means only that she was doing usual Powell stuff: putting one over on The Man. I'm sure it never would have occurred to her that anything horrible was going to happen to the boys. But the Powells clearly don't like following rules or being told what to do. IMO!

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-j...hts-on-murdersuicide-20120208,0,2152397.story

In October 2011, I helped Josh move from our neighborhood into the house in Graham. In November 2011, Josh asked us to assist him with child visitation by supervising visits with his sons. We were supervising weekly visits in our home for The Department of Social and Health Services between Josh, Charlie and Braden. Our children would play together during these visits.

I think that's called making a decision without enough information. :websleuther:

And now - no tenants, and even no house left to rent.

I wonder why so many people underestimated this guy. Yet it has been all over the news for years that he managed to make his wife disappear and basically got away with it. Why would anyone trust him? :waitasec:

I just get so boggled thinking that JP could possibly rent an entire house from anyone since the guy has no employment. I work all the time but don't make enough to rent a whole house by myself and no one would rent me one -- but this guy gets a house rental? I have to show employment, bank account records, etc. and I don't get one. But a murderer gets one.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-j...hts-on-murdersuicide-20120208,0,2152397.story

In October 2011, I helped Josh move from our neighborhood into the house in Graham. In November 2011, Josh asked us to assist him with child visitation by supervising visits with his sons. We were supervising weekly visits in our home for The Department of Social and Health Services between Josh, Charlie and Braden. Our children would play together during these visits.

I remember reading this and wondering why the SW did not elaborate and say this in her interview that these visits were typically done at the pastor's house instead of the rental house.

I would like more info. about this. I do recall something about the pastor had made arrangements to meet JP after the last visit.

This would lead to even more questions of the condition of the rental house when the SW visited.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back