Questions Specifically for Benjaman

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey benjaman!
hope you had a nice thanksgiving with good friends. i think of you often since i am in georgia, too and tybee island is one of my many old stompin grounds. are you drawn to the beach, by the by?? another leading psychological question. i can't help myself.

one more question. would you give me your opinion of the age regressions i did of you? and i can take whatever humor you'd like to throw in to your response.

smiles, lynn

cache_2296897154.gif

from Cubby and J'

Happy New Year Benjaman.

I hope this is the year you discover your identity.

Benjaman: Do you remember ever being a member of the Colorado Restaurant Association, particularly when it was the CWRA (Colorado/Wyoming Restaurant Association) If so, do you remember the split from Wyoming in 89?

Benjaman, I was wondering if you remember faces, I know you mentioned you believe you had 2 brothers, is it due to remembering faces? I have some photos I could post of Powells and associated families, that might help in some way. Maybe you would think a face is familiar, whether or not the name would be familiar.

Hello Benjaman,

I was thinking about the current situation that you're in and the fact that you have such an extensive knowledge about the food service and restaurant industry.

Have you ever been to Columbus, Ohio? Do you remember any restaurants from the Columbus, Ohio area or anywhere in the state of Ohio?

I have a link about Columbus area restaurant history.

http://columbusrestauranthistory.com/restaurant/index.htm

Maybe the names, photos, and restaurant logos are familiar to you.

Benjaman:
I remember you saying you remember Frisch's Big Boy in Indiana. I was hoping this may help you with some memories, and look at the Powell name. I pulled this off of Newsbank, which is a place that holds news from my library.
I am going to see if I can come up with more from this family on Ancestry.

"Mary I. "Jean" Ritter, 74, of Evansville, Ind., passed away on Saturday, October 30, 2004, at her home.

Jean and her husband owned and operated two Frisch's Big Boy Restaurants and later Ritter's Big Bud Restaurant . She was the Assistant Manager of the Vanderburgh County Auditorium, Chief Deputy of the Vanderburgh County Clerk Office for eight years, and she retired from the Vanderburgh County Voters Registration Office.

Jean was a Republican volunteer, member of the Vanderburgh County Federated Republican Women, Vanderburgh County Women's Republican Social Club and a President of the Deacons at First Presbyterian Church.

She is survived by her husband of 54 years, Jim "Tiger" Ritter, Evansville, Ind.; daughter and son-in-law, Janice and Erik Bentle, Evansville, Ind.; son and daughter-in-law, Jay and Linda Ritter, Evansville, Ind.; grandchildren, Anna and Matthew Bentle and Alexandra Ritter, all of Evansville, Ind.; a great-granddaughter, Kaylee Marie, Evansville, Ind.; and an aunt, Lois Hullett, Evansville, Ind.

She was preceded in death by her parents, Edna (Holland) and Hillary Powell , and a brother Julian Powell .
Funeral services will be held at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, November 1, 2004, at Browning Funeral Home, 738 Diamond Ave., with Rev. Kevin Fleming officiating. Burial will be held in Sunset Memorial Park Cemetery.

Friends may call from 2 to 7 p.m. today, Sunday, October 31, 2004, at Browning Funeral Home.

Memorial contributions may be made to First Presbyterian Church, 609 SE Second Street, or the Deaconess Ohio/Valley Hospice. "

Benjaman:
I remember you saying you remember Frisch's Big Boy in Indiana. I was hoping this may help you with some memories, and look at the Powell name. I pulled this off of Newsbank, which is a place that holds news from my library.
I am going to see if I can come up with more from this family on Ancestry.

"Mary I. "Jean" Ritter, 74, of Evansville, Ind., passed away on Saturday, October 30, 2004, at her home.

Jean and her husband owned and operated two Frisch's Big Boy Restaurants and later Ritter's Big Bud Restaurant . She was the Assistant Manager of the Vanderburgh County Auditorium, Chief Deputy of the Vanderburgh County Clerk Office for eight years, and she retired from the Vanderburgh County Voters Registration Office.

Jean was a Republican volunteer, member of the Vanderburgh County Federated Republican Women, Vanderburgh County Women's Republican Social Club and a President of the Deacons at First Presbyterian Church.

She is survived by her husband of 54 years, Jim "Tiger" Ritter, Evansville, Ind.; daughter and son-in-law, Janice and Erik Bentle, Evansville, Ind.; son and daughter-in-law, Jay and Linda Ritter, Evansville, Ind.; grandchildren, Anna and Matthew Bentle and Alexandra Ritter, all of Evansville, Ind.; a great-granddaughter, Kaylee Marie, Evansville, Ind.; and an aunt, Lois Hullett, Evansville, Ind.

She was preceded in death by her parents, Edna (Holland) and Hillary Powell , and a brother Julian Powell .
Funeral services will be held at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, November 1, 2004, at Browning Funeral Home, 738 Diamond Ave., with Rev. Kevin Fleming officiating. Burial will be held in Sunset Memorial Park Cemetery.

Friends may call from 2 to 7 p.m. today, Sunday, October 31, 2004, at Browning Funeral Home.

Memorial contributions may be made to First Presbyterian Church, 609 SE Second Street, or the Deaconess Ohio/Valley Hospice. "
The only thing I have found so far on Ancestry is that Mary Jean Powell Ritter's brother Julian Powell was born on 4-17-1933 in Union, Kentucky. Which leads me to believe they are from the Powell bunch in Ky, and hopefully the branch that I am researching, woo hoo.

The only thing I have found so far on Ancestry is that Mary Jean Powell Ritter's brother Julian Powell was born on 4-17-1933 in Union, Kentucky. Which leads me to believe they are from the Powell bunch in Ky, and hopefully the branch that I am researching, woo hoo.

For those that are wondering, some info regarding Union in Kentucky.

Union,Kentucky is a city in Boone County,Kentucky. Union is near Florence,KY and not far from I-75. Boone County,KY is across the river from Cincinnati,Ohio. The county seat of Boone County,Kentucky is Burlington.

Union County, Kentucky is 30 miles southwest of Evansville, Indiana. The county seat of Union County,Kentucky is Morganfield.

There is also a Powell County, Kentucky. Powell County is 50 miles southeast of Lexington,Kentucky. The county seat of Powell County,Kentucky is Stanton. The Mountain Parkway runs through Powell County. Powell County is south of I-64 and east of I-75 in Kentucky.

For those that are wondering, some info regarding Union in Kentucky.

Union,Kentucky is a city in Boone County,Kentucky. Union is near Florence,KY and not far from I-75. Boone County,KY is across the river from Cincinnati,Ohio. The county seat of Boone County,Kentucky is Burlington.

Union County, Kentucky is 30 miles southwest of Evansville, Indiana. The county seat of Union County,Kentucky is Morganfield.

There is also a Powell County, Kentucky. Powell County is 50 miles southeast of Lexington,Kentucky. The county seat of Powell County,Kentucky is Stanton. The Mountain Parkway runs through Powell County. Powell County is south of I-64 and east of I-75 in Kentucky.

Nero are you from there? Do you know where Harrison/West Harrison is?

I have found out that Mary Ima Jean Powell Ritter and Julian Powell were the only children born to John Hillary Powell and Edna Holland Powell, and were from KY and IN. Julian died at a young age, in his 20-30's in a car accident in Evansville, IN. He did have children, and being born in 1933, possible having children by 1950 ish. I am thinking there may be a relation here and going to try and find John Hillary Powell in the census for siblings and parents. Would be wonderful if we can find an obit or even a news article on Julian Powell.

I have found out that Mary Ima Jean Powell Ritter and Julian Powell were the only children born to John Hillary Powell and Edna Holland Powell, and were from KY and IN. Julian died at a young age, in his 20-30's in a car accident in Evansville, IN. He did have children, and being born in 1933, possible having children by 1950 ish. I am thinking there may be a relation here and going to try and find John Hillary Powell in the census for siblings and parents. Would be wonderful if we can find an obit or even a news article on Julian Powell.

I have some links from Kentucky that may help in the genealogy research of the Powell Family.

The first link is the Kentucky Vitals Records Project. It has Kentucky Death Certificates where volunteers have transcribed some but not all KY Death Certificates.

http://kyvitals.com/vis/search/search_death_recs.php

The second link is from the University of Kentucky. It has various vital records index of the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics from Frankfort. It covers Kentucky Death Certificates from 1911 to 1992 for every county in Kentucky.

http://ukcc.uky.edu/vitalrec/

The third link is a listing of public libraries for each county in Kentucky. Some of the public libraries are online.

http://www.publiclibraries.com/kentucky.htm

The fourth link is a listing of Kentucky newspapers on microfilm at the University of Kentucky William T. Young Library at Lexington,Kentucky. The Young Library has newspapers from every county in Kentucky on microfilm that can only be viewed at the Young Library on the UK Campus in Lexington.

http://athena.uky.edu/cgi/b/bib/bib-idx?c=ukmicrodb;cc=ukmicrodb;page=broadplaces

One thing that I must point out about Kentucky Death Certificates is that if a person's death occurs outside Kentucky and they are buried in Kentucky, that person will not have a Kentucky Death Certificate.

Oh---that names sounds very familiar. Haven't we researched Julian before? Going to look through my notes. If not, I will check ancestry...

Carolwood, I have more names done from that list you gave me. Sorry I have been so slow...

Are you certain Julian died in his 20's? I found a Julian Powell living in Indianapolis as of the late 1990's. Maybe a son?

I did find a Kentucky death index for a Julian Powell but he is too old to be this Julian--he died in 1956 and he was 52 yrs old. I was unable to find any other SSDI for Julian Powell.

It appears that Edna Mae Holland Powell died in July 1991. (She was born Nov 10, 1914.) (This is according to the Hullett family tree on ancestry) It is odd--this family tree ONLY lists Edna and John, noone else before or after them, and does not list them with children...Actually it does list Edna's parents--Nay Holland 1895-1950 and Stella Herndon 1897-1975

They list John Hillary Powell as Edna's spouse, but no birth or death dates. I did find a John Hillary Powell who died in 1998 (and was born in July 21, 1915) if this is the right guy. It states that his last residence was Fairdale, KY. I did not find a John H Powell who died in IN.

It is wierd...I also found a John H Powell from KY who was married to an Edna Walker. No birth or death dates, but they had a daughter Rosemary who was born in 1921 and died in 1986.

Are you certain Julian died in his 20's? I found a Julian Powell living in Indianapolis as of the late 1990's. Maybe a son?

I did find a Kentucky death index for a Julian Powell but he is too old to be this Julian--he died in 1956 and he was 52 yrs old. I was unable to find any other SSDI for Julian Powell.

It appears that Edna Mae Holland Powell died in July 1991. (She was born Nov 10, 1914.) (This is according to the Hullett family tree on ancestry) It is odd--this family tree ONLY lists Edna and John, noone else before or after them, and does not list them with children...Actually it does list Edna's parents--Nay Holland 1895-1950 and Stella Herndon 1897-1975

They list John Hillary Powell as Edna's spouse, but no birth or death dates. I did find a John Hillary Powell who died in 1998 (and was born in July 21, 1915) if this is the right guy. It states that his last residence was Fairdale, KY. I did not find a John H Powell who died in IN.

It is wierd...I also found a John H Powell from KY who was married to an Edna Walker. No birth or death dates, but they had a daughter Rosemary who was born in 1921 and died in 1986.
Yes, Julian passed in his 20's or early 30's, per his nephew. Yes, possible a son, the nephew didn't remember, but knew he had children.
The Hullett family on Ancestry, I'll check it out. Great find. I am hoping this is the same family. I did find that a Hillary was living in Evansville in 1951 in the US Cities directory for Evansville.

Also if anyone thinks this may help, I have downloaded the file for the Powell's who lived in Indianapolis in 1949. If you think its of some help, I can post it here as images to see, if it comes out okay.

Hello Benjaman,

I was thinking about the current situation that you're in and the fact that you have such an extensive knowledge about the food service and restaurant industry.

Have you ever been to Columbus, Ohio? Do you remember any restaurants from the Columbus, Ohio area or anywhere in the state of Ohio?

I have a link about Columbus area restaurant history.

http://columbusrestauranthistory.com/restaurant/index.htm

Maybe the names, photos, and restaurant logos are familiar to you.

This an interesting site. I cruised the whole thing. I knew about the Frisch's Big Boy by having looked them up recently. I thought they might have a connection with the Big Boy's in Denver that Had such poor service. tyhe Columbus Big Boy seem to be the only ones left that are still callled Big Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea