Quran Burning on 9/11/10

Mister Jones on Today. He got his sign from God to call off the Quran burning.

~snipped~

"Even though we have not burned one Quran, we have gotten over 100 death threats," Jones said. "We feel that God is telling us to stop, and we also hope that ... maybe that will open up the door to maybe be able to talk to the imam."

So glad he called off this offensive nonsense.

wm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39113743/ns/us_news-security/

Well, great that he called it off. Somehow I knew that he would. However, how many other whackos has he now incited?

Well, great that he called it off. Somehow I knew that he would. However, how many other whackos has he now incited?

There's no telling Belinda. Unfortunately, there are wackos and extremists in every form of religion.

Have you seen any reports of the TN pastor who jumped on the Quran burning bandwagon but was also planning to burn the American Flag?

I hope it was also called off. Who are we, as Americans and human beings to condemn and disrespect other's religion and holy book?

I am still angry about 9/11 but the people who commited this act of terrorism are Muslim extremists! It is unfair to assume that all Muslims fall into the same category. It is also unfair for those folks protesting in Afghanistan to lump all US citizens into supporters of this old man Jone's religious beliefs.

MOO

wm

Well done post, WM. I couldn't agree more. I haven't seen anything on the TN pastor, so I hope it has been called off. I'm tired of extremists of all kinds. I can't imagine why someone would think it was a good idea to burn the holy book of another religion. It just incites more hatred. To my knowledge, that isn't what religion, any religion, is supposed to be about. I am not religious, but I was deeply offended by the actions of this so-called pastor. I am very much a live and let live kind of person and when I see people overstepping bounds to stomp on someone else, it makes me nuts. I have no interest in Islam or the Quran, but I respect someone else's right to follow whatever their heart and culture desires. I'm really tired of all the violence done in the name of God. If there is a God, he is probably not too thrilled with the world at large.

I am the kind of person who refuses to debate religion with anyone, anywhere. Yes, I have my opinion of the Muslim religion, the same as Christianity, and yes, I do fit into one of those categories.. however, I've never felt it my place to say who is right or who is wrong, and I know for a fact, it will all be sorted out in the end, so why even bother arguing over it? With that said, here is my problem with this whole thing:

I am an American, and just like Rev. Jones, I watched as those towers went down, I watched the tears, cried the tears and was heartbroken for so many families in this world....then..
2 of my nephews signed into the Army. Since they have both served a year in Iraq, and one will return on Monday back to Iraq in a place where there are radicals who are enraged at the thought of the Koran being burned. I am super pissed that ANY AMERICAN, WITH ANY RELIGION would do or say anything knowing full well they are putting our young men and women into harms way. I am also super pissed that all Muslims are being placed under the "radical" category with this so called pastor. I would encourage everyone to talk to a solider who has been involved with muslims, the same as americans. Talk to our brave young men and women who have sat in the living rooms with these people, had translators there to help them, and hear how most of these people are just like you and I...they have beliefs, they have feelings and they raise their children just like you and I, to the best of their abilities. Some of these people are just like you and I, they are not all bad, they just have a different belief than most, however they do not turn that belief into the things we have seen over the years, they don't all turn it into hate and bad things.
Outside of the whole religious debate, I am angry over what this man has caused for our troops. I want to remind everyone that each of these men and women serve in our forces for the rights of you and I, and for the rights for this man to do as he has done, which has been nothing more than putting our troops in worse danger than our own government has. Just a few headlines from today:
Koran burning threat sparks Afghan protests
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11261317
Fresh Afghan Riots Over Koran Burning Threat In U.S.
Fresh Afghan Riots Over Koran Burning Threat In U.S.

Seriously, this man thought he was going to accomplish something? What he has accomplished has been nothing more than putting our country at risk for more terrorist attacks, more deaths through our military, and god forbid, has caused a more unsafe place for our children to grow up and live their lives without fear. THIS IS NOT THE AMERICAN WAY!
This man would have been better off fighting off our extremist here in the United States, including those crazy people of Westboro Baptist Church our in Topeka.
I am super pissed at what this man has caused in our world this week.
I'll tell you only one belief I have with my faith:
WHEN YOU DO WRONG, IT COMES BACK TO YOU 100 TIMES OVER!

mydailyopinions- I completely agree with you and my prayers are with you, your nephews and whole family, and all who were touched in some way by the events of this day 9 years ago (which I'm sure includes all of us here)...

:praying:

Someone should point out to the pastor the meaning of ironic and hypocritical. I hope his congregation dwindles.
From what I understand his congregation isn't too big to begin with....something like 50 people. MOO

I hope the whacko is happy. Some of our troops in Afghanistan were attacked today.

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-na...cts-to-koran-burning-read-letter#main-content

Casey Anthony case: Attorney for mom accused of murder objects to Koran burning, read letter

Read Mason’s letter below:
letter right below this article...

Oh, LiveLaughLove, I literally just choked on my morning coffee when I saw this!

I can just hear it now..."No officer, I didn't burn the Quran! It was ZANNY I tell you!"

Mason's opinion will no doubt carry a lot of weight with Pastor Looney. :rolleyes:

By DUSAN STOJANOVIC

updated 1 hour 17 minutes ago
Share Print Font: +-KABUL, Afghanistan — Two protesters died and four were injured as Afghans protested for a third day Sunday against a plan by an American pastor to burn copies of the Islamic holy book, despite his decision to call off the action.

Mohammad Rahim Amin, chief of the Baraki Barak district in eastern Logar province, said the deaths and injuries occurred when Afghan soldiers opened fire on hundreds of protesters who were trying to storm the local government headquarters.

More at link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39131484/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia

The blood of every death is on Mr. Jones' hands. I hope he is happy. I hope he thinks God is happy.

ETA: I was going to send Mr. Jones an email saying what I think about this situation, however the website is, of course, no longer accessible. Just in case it comes back up and anyone wants to go to the site it is: www.doveworld.org

Thanks for posting this Belinda. I scares me that one tiny little man's actions have such far reaching consequences.

It's curious that the website is down for doveworld. I wonder if this has anything to do with the alleged death threats. He should be scared of the posssible repercussions of his actions what with all that blood on his hands.

I hope the media doesnt' give him any more coverage. He got his trip to NYC and the Today show. Now it is time for him to fade into oblivion, and his extremist views are never to be heard from again.

Thanks for the update.

wm

I suspect we are in for a bumpy ride. Westboro is now saying that if Jones doesn't do it, they will and they are crazy enough to do it. I am so angry over this I don't know what to do with myself. Even if his name never again appears in print, this is going to have far reaching ramifications and, of course, those who are going to jump on the bandwagon. I am absolutely disgusted over this.

Belinda, Is Westboro the crazy group that demonstrates against our military?

I am really worried about the safety of our service men and women overseas. I hope the media refuses to report this disgusting act. I think it's best to publically ignore narcissists, attention getters and fame ho extremists. We have the right to freedom of speech in the USA, but there is a distinct difference in speaking and setting a fire, IMO.

MOO

wm

Belinda, Is Westboro the crazy group that demonstrates against our military?

I am really worried about the safety of our service men and women overseas. I hope the media refuses to report this disgusting act. I think it's best to publically ignore narcissists, attention getters and fame ho extremists. We have the right to freedom of speech in the USA, but there is a distinct difference in speaking and setting a fire, IMO.

MOO

wm

That's exactly who it is and I'm worried sick about it. I feel the media definitely bears some responsibility in this. They should never have publicized this story to begin with. Just because something can be reported on doesn't mean it should be reported on. The media also happily reports on every single stunt Westboro pulls.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back