Ramifications for PSU Football

I thought Bill O'Brien appeared a bit overwhelmed yesterday. The constant negativity has to be wearing on him.

TS-WEAREPISSEDO!000-15911.jpg

http://www.pennstateclothes.com/store/TS-WEAREPISSEDO!000/We+Are+Pissed+Off+T-shirt

And, those of us who find this entire episode of covering for a child abuser are also pissed. Maybe there should be another t-shirt design that reads:
We Are Pissed At Penn State.

jmo

I wonder how many people were as happy as I was over their loss yesterday. I felt a tinge of guilt for the students.

But I was still happy they lost.

The media providing the Paterno family and former players like Franco Harris a platform only futher aggravates this horrible situation.

This shirt is just another classless act designed to make money off the misery of these young victims. We are pissed off???!!! Disgraceful.

<----ducking from possible ray gun zaps... I gained no joy from their loss yestderday. But, if it somehow lets some pressure off the coaches, players, students, fans and alumni by seeing no glory in a win, then maybe in some way it will help everyone in moving forward. These innocents too have been brought to their knees, maybe its time to let them back up.

I find the shirt remarkably neutral. It could signify anger at the powers that removed the statue etc. It could also show anger at the crimes and subsequent cover-up.

One size fits all.

After watching Saturday's performance, I don't think anyone has to worry about this . . .

The Big Ten notified athletic department officials today that the school is eligible to receive the Leaders Division trophy if it finishes with the best record in the six-team division.
Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/09/05/3324132/big-ten-notifies-penn-state-it.html#storylink=cpy

This may have more ramifications for Ohio State, which is also barred from postseason play this year.

17-16, Virginia over Penn State. PSU's kicker missed 4 field goals, including one on the last play of the game.

PSU's kicker from last season transfered to the University of Texas, so the sanctions made a difference.

17-16, Virginia over Penn State. PSU's kicker missed 4 field goals, including one on the last play of the game.

PSU's kicker from last season transfered to the University of Texas, so the sanctions made a difference.

2 losses in a row has to be a real moral buster for those players that remained at PSU! Definitely have sympathy for the PS players that remained.

2 losses in a row has to be a real moral buster for those players that remained at PSU! Definitely have sympathy for the PS players that remained.

Me too, Tipstaff, esp. for the kicker...if he is not replaced he will need to practice, practice, practice....

At least it was a close score, not a complete wipe-out...I saw several scores with 0 scores from the losers yesterday....FSU 55, Savannah State 0 and TCU 56, Grambling State 0, now that would be really embarrassing...

In fact, I've been hoping for some wins because maybe that will help the fans feel like they are going forward and stop some of the negativity....

Me too, Tipstaff, esp. for the kicker...if he is not replaced he will need to practice, practice, practice....

At least it was a close score, not a complete wipe-out...I saw several scores with 0 scores from the losers yesterday....FSU 55, Savannah State 0 and TCU 56, Grambling State 0, now that would be really embarrassing...

In fact, I've been hoping for some wins because maybe that will help the fans feel like they are going forward and stop some of the negativity....

A win in the next game or two is going to be a must for Penn State to be able to recruit as well. The longer it takes the more the current class of high school senior players will not even consider PS.

But I do feel that the two loses are a pretty humbling experience.

Wonder over the season how the local shop keepers, restaurants etc. are going to fare? I imagine they make a large percentage of the yearly goals during the home games.

The cover-up of Jerry Sandusky created a mess for so many innocent people.

Hope the special teams coaches work with the kicker - it wasn't pretty yesterday.

Penn State defeats Navy at Beaver Stadium, 34-7.

Congrats! I am so happy that the students, new coaches, faculty and fans have something positive to celebrate! The gloom and doom has been going on in State College for almost a year now but finally a crack shining a glimmer of success. Keep moving forward PSU!

wm

On-field drama ahead for Illinois-Penn State

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120928/sports/709289688/

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — The Penn State and Illinois camps seem to agree on one thing ahead of their Big Ten opener Saturday: Last summer’s visit by Illinois coaches to talk to players interested in leaving Penn State doesn’t matter much now.

Illini quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase said he doesn’t think the players will be talking about “what went on in July” after that first series. And there’s no shortage of on-field drama to focus on instead.

Start with Penn State (2-2).

The NCAA sanctions that followed the child sex-abuse scandal mean Penn State can’t go to a bowl game. But the Nittany Lions can still win the Big Ten Leaders Division, a carrot that gives many of them something tangible to chase. They’ve won two straight games and appear to be getting better after the shocks, and departures, of the offseason...............

Illini drop Big Ten opener to Penn State, 35-7

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Penn-State-opens-Big-Ten-with-35-7-win-at-Illinois-3905235.php

..........."It was sweet, that's what it was," Mauti said. "We haven't forgotten about what happened in the summer. Yeah, to be honest with you we had that in the back of our minds and that kept us going. I mean, it's all about opening up the conference strong and keeping things going."

Quarterback Matt McGloin was a problem for the Illini, too. He threw for 211 yards and a touchdown and ran for two more scores. Running back Zach Zwinak had 101 yards and two touchdowns.

Illinois had three turnovers in all, and eight costly penalties.

More at link.....

Penn State defeated Wisconsin today in overtime, 24-21, at Beaver Stadium to end their first season under NCAA sanctions with an 8-4 overall record, 6-2 in the Big Ten.
http://www.centredaily.com/2012/11/24/3413887/penn-state-football-lions-edge.html

Now comes the next challenge, as Coach O'Brien tries to re-recruit his players to stay at PSU through the sanctioned "free-transfer" deadline of the start of pre-season practice in 2013.

This is big news. Redd is Penn State's best returning player.

Silas Redd Leaving Penn State For USC

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-silas-redd-0801-20120731,0,5535985.story

All of us who are Penn State football fans were very concerned about the impact that Redd's departure would have on the season, but redshirt sophomore Zach Zwinak rose from far down the depth chart to take over the starting position, and in the final accounting:

Zwinak...PSU (8-4)...1000 yards rushing
Redd.......USC (7-5)....817 yards rushing
Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/11/24/3414296/zwinak-outduels-ball-in-ot.html#storylink=cpy

Zwinak ended up having a more productive year than Redd, and he has two more years of eligibility remaining.

The next few years will be far more difficult for Penn State to field a competitive team in the Big Ten because of the scholarship and roster limitations that take effect, but Coach O'Brien has certainly set the tone for good players to still consider coming to Penn State, with weekly TV exposure in a pro-style offense and Ted Roof's multi-look defensive schemes.

I am glad to see the spirit of these players come shining through.

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back