Rescued beagles experience grass & sunlight for the 1st time

Interesting...

I put up the portable fence in the driveway, while working in the kitchen garden and sorting things in the garage. The back fence, which separates the driveway/kitchen garden from the backyard, has a big gate, and I propped it open.

Gracie came and hung out with me...she loves being in the driveway, as she can see the street and often thinks it's a prelude to going for a walk (not today).

Romeo, however, did not leave the backyard. He came to the gate a few times, looking out, just seeing where we were...but never ventured onto the driveway, and didn't seem to want to have the gate open at all. Not upset, exactly, but more like very cautious, and not curious enough to overcome the caution.

I think this is interesting. He is very secure and happy in the backyard, but as long as it's enclosed and confined. I think we will incorporate the open gate more often...he may eventually decide to venture out and see where Gracie goes, and what I'm doing.

Just an interesting thing, I think. More time, and who knows what will happen...but for right now, he's only willing to poke his nose out of "his" yard for a moment or two, and then right back in.

Slow, sure steps...exposure, exposure, exposure. I just love that he's willing to take a peak, you know?

Best-
Herding Cats

Herding Cats, you are a beautiful person and I thank you for sharing Romi and Gracie's story with all of us, it really has had a profound influence on me. Thank you for that, okey dokey mumz?

See, now, I don't know what to make of what just happened.

Well, I do know what to make of Gracie, but not of Romi's behavior.

So, about 20 minutes ago, I went to go bring them in to the house for the evening...getting ready for bed, watching the end of a movie. I went out into the backyard, and the worst sight greeted me. The backyard gate was open. I shut it.

Now, Gracie has been known to somehow get that gate open. She's gotten out maybe a handful of times over the past 9 months, but never has she strayed far from home. She usually does this when she believes she hasn't been taken out enough, and, to be fair, she hasn't been out much in the last few days. So I know she's the instigator.

But Romi? I hoped he'd stayed in the backyard. I grabbed my shoes, and tore out of the front door, meaning to walk the driveway and call for Gracie, hoping she hadn't gone tooling around the neighborhood.

She comes galumping up to me, grinning from ear to ear, on the front yard. And Romi is right behind her, excited and happy to see me as always. I grabbed him up, fast, so he couldn't get away, and then sent Gracie "home" (the backyard). She went, happily. He stayed very quiet in my arms, and even gave me a kiss.

I will be totally honest here. I likely didn't get the gate as well shut as I normally do. But it was closed for hours; they were in the backyard the whole afternoon and evening, with no gate opening.

I will have to get a new gate. I know this, have known this. It's too easily bumped open (it's probably 35 years old), and it's not safe.

My heart was about to come out of my chest...what if Romi had gone wandering? What if he had decided to run when I called, instead of following Gracie?

The other thought is "wow, he had some big balls there, going out at night with Gracie...and he didn't come out with me earlier."

So I'm both utterly terrified, and strangely thrilled. I am hoping that this is the beginning of him realizing that the world is both bigger and safer than he thought, but only when he's with me. But what if he hadn't come? Or hadn't let me get him (because he did "let me...")? What then?

I absolutely have to get that gate fixed ASAP.

They're both inside now, and we'll be going to bed. But boy, I can not believe he'd go out with Gracie.

oh geez. Just oh geez.

Best-
Herding Cats

See, now, I don't know what to make of what just happened.

Well, I do know what to make of Gracie, but not of Romi's behavior.

So, about 20 minutes ago, I went to go bring them in to the house for the evening...getting ready for bed, watching the end of a movie. I went out into the backyard, and the worst sight greeted me. The backyard gate was open. I shut it.

Now, Gracie has been known to somehow get that gate open. She's gotten out maybe a handful of times over the past 9 months, but never has she strayed far from home. She usually does this when she believes she hasn't been taken out enough, and, to be fair, she hasn't been out much in the last few days. So I know she's the instigator.

But Romi? I hoped he'd stayed in the backyard. I grabbed my shoes, and tore out of the front door, meaning to walk the driveway and call for Gracie, hoping she hadn't gone tooling around the neighborhood.

She comes galumping up to me, grinning from ear to ear, on the front yard. And Romi is right behind her, excited and happy to see me as always. I grabbed him up, fast, so he couldn't get away, and then sent Gracie "home" (the backyard). She went, happily. He stayed very quiet in my arms, and even gave me a kiss.

I will be totally honest here. I likely didn't get the gate as well shut as I normally do. But it was closed for hours; they were in the backyard the whole afternoon and evening, with no gate opening.

I will have to get a new gate. I know this, have known this. It's too easily bumped open (it's probably 35 years old), and it's not safe.

My heart was about to come out of my chest...what if Romi had gone wandering? What if he had decided to run when I called, instead of following Gracie?

The other thought is "wow, he had some big balls there, going out at night with Gracie...and he didn't come out with me earlier."

So I'm both utterly terrified, and strangely thrilled. I am hoping that this is the beginning of him realizing that the world is both bigger and safer than he thought, but only when he's with me. But what if he hadn't come? Or hadn't let me get him (because he did "let me...")? What then?

I absolutely have to get that gate fixed ASAP.

They're both inside now, and we'll be going to bed. But boy, I can not believe he'd go out with Gracie.

oh geez. Just oh geez.

Best-
Herding Cats

As long as he was with Gracie I'm sure he was safe. Also, the fact he was happy to see you and came when you called Gracie is a very good sign. It seems he knows he's got a real home and is very, very happy there. If he didn't like it he may not have come back. I do agree that the gate has to be fixed and doggie proofed ASAP. If they can't get it done ASAP see if they'll do it As Soon As Possible.

I hadn't read this thread until today and it's taken me the better part of the workday (between work, phone calls, etc.). What an amazing story! And HC, YOU are amazing!!!

I just love to read that Romi is doing so well and has adapted nicely to his new home. What great work you are doing, HC. There is certainly a special place in heaven for you!

Wow, I hope Romi tell us about his adventure down in "pets". Ooopps, nevermind, scrts, shhhhhh!

I just went back to post one and read the whole thread. Here are some posts I want to comment on.

Yay for lil romeo! He is making such strides and so quickly.

Molly joined the household wenesday. She is going on an immediate diet. Poor girl she is so heavy and unfit. She decided I am her alpha and is so far up my butt a colonoscopy couldnt pry her out! She cannot get enough attention. Simply cannot.

She has had an accident her first night (omg bull mastiff poo is not pleasant to wake up to) but seemed suitably embarrassed by it. She also destroyed three phone books and a stack of dh paperwork. Not enouh sense to be shamed about that, lol

Overall, so far so good.

BBM

Wow! Dogs really do eat homework! :giggle: The AP Dogs 101 about Newfs said, IIRC, that it's possible they came about through breading Bull Mastiff's with Pyrenese. I think you said you have a Pyrenese. :waitasec: Maybe I'm wrong.

bbm

HC, this is all just so incredibly heartwarming and wonderful. Thank you sooo much for sharing and allowing us a peek into this beautiful process! BUT... but... we want pictures of Romi and Gracie napping, etc. :D

Amen to that.

Also, I hope this has gone past fostering because I think he'd regress quickly if he were taken away from this home. JMO

Um, Steely? How did you know the place called me today, and we discussed having Romi be here permanently? Are you stalking me? Or do you just have a psychic emu telling you secrets?

Actually, I'm serious. The beagle folks and I had a talk today, and they will be coming by in the first week of Feb. They want to see Romi's progress, and also want to ask me if I am willing to adopt him on a permanent basis.

I was seriously thinking about letting him go to another home, but I am pretty sure he'd regress. Would he be able to come back from that? Likely, but he's also just started to trust that he's secure and safe, and I am not positive that he'd come back from a move, the loss of "his" new safe home, and his pal Gracie.

I don't know what the right thing to do for all of us. I know he and Gracie adore each other, even though they squabble...and I know he trusts me a bit now, and is slowly coming to trust me more and more. I know I adore him. I know Gracie adores him, and is always just delighted to see him after we go places or are out for a while.

And while I was considering expanding my canine family, I wanted to get another Newf.

All that being said, sometimes God does things like drop incredibly traumatized beagles into lives for reasons. And I am not sure that he'd do as well at another home, at least right now.

And then my mind says "and who are you to make that judgment? You're so special that only YOUR house and only YOUR treatment will help this boy? What ego!" and I start thinking about it all over again.

So...I've got a few days to really think this through. I am completely open to opinions and ideas and thoughts, as always.

Best-
Herding Cats

Um, Steely? How did you know the place called me today, and we discussed having Romi be here permanently? Are you stalking me? Or do you just have a psychic emu telling you secrets?

Actually, I'm serious. The beagle folks and I had a talk today, and they will be coming by in the first week of Feb. They want to see Romi's progress, and also want to ask me if I am willing to adopt him on a permanent basis.

I was seriously thinking about letting him go to another home, but I am pretty sure he'd regress. Would he be able to come back from that? Likely, but he's also just started to trust that he's secure and safe, and I am not positive that he'd come back from a move, the loss of "his" new safe home, and his pal Gracie.

I don't know what the right thing to do for all of us. I know he and Gracie adore each other, even though they squabble...and I know he trusts me a bit now, and is slowly coming to trust me more and more. I know I adore him. I know Gracie adores him, and is always just delighted to see him after we go places or are out for a while.

And while I was considering expanding my canine family, I wanted to get another Newf.

All that being said, sometimes God does things like drop incredibly traumatized beagles into lives for reasons. And I am not sure that he'd do as well at another home, at least right now.

And then my mind says "and who are you to make that judgment? You're so special that only YOUR house and only YOUR treatment will help this boy? What ego!" and I start thinking about it all over again.

So...I've got a few days to really think this through. I am completely open to opinions and ideas and thoughts, as always.

Best-
Herding Cats

Herding Cats -- when you found the gate open and both dogs gone, it must have been such a horrible moment for you. I am relieved for you that Romi was safe!

Regarding Romi staying with you permanently... well, I admit that I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks, and believe that at this point, it would be harmful to re-home him. You have been "chosen" for him -- I do believe that God has placed him with you for a reason, and it has nothing to do with ego or anything else. I hope you consider this and do keep him if you can. Bless you for what you have done for him.

Best-
Herding Cats

BBM

I call Miss Clemu for my readings. :giggle:

I don't think it's ego, I think that if he had settled in to a similar environment and with someone like you it would be a bad idea to move him. I think the fact that your heart raced and you began to cry when he ran into the front yard with Gracie is all you need to know. You'd be bawling your eyes out if you ever gave that dog up and Gracie may never forgive you.

Simon sent me a very interesting email on this subject, but because you blab to him that I tell you about them, I've promised not to disclose them anymore to you. :snooty:

Herding Cats -- when you found the gate open and both dogs gone, it must have been such a horrible moment for you. I am relieved for you that Romi was safe!

Regarding Romi staying with you permanently... well, I admit that I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks, and believe that at this point, it would be harmful to re-home him. You have been "chosen" for him -- I do believe that God has placed him with you for a reason, and it has nothing to do with ego or anything else. I hope you consider this and do keep him if you can. Bless you for what you have done for him.

Herding Cats -- I woke up this morning with more thoughts about you and Romi.

The foster system for pets is an outstanding way to rehabilitate dogs and to get them ready to be adopted into homes. However, in this case, with a dog as traumatized as Romi has been, the foster system may not be the best fit. Here is a dog who had withdrawn from the world-- who does not know what it is to be a dog -- who finds a safe haven in a family with a human caregiver who has the patience, caring and knowledge (yes, you do have some knowledge) to help the dog to heal. To get him to the point he is at, then move him to another place may set him back considerably in his development -- and I don't think that is fair to him. In addition, if you were me, you would always be worried about him once he was in his new home, always wondering how he was doing, especially if he had difficulty adjusting.

It would be a kindness to him, you and Gracie if you were able to give him that furrever home that he needs. Hugs to you, Romi and Gracie from me and my 3 Karelian Bear Dogs! You are our hero!

I agree with others that it may be very traumatizing to rehome Romi once again, after he is just starting to trust you, to bond with Gracie, and to love his new home. Or maybe that's me being selfish, knowing that if you didn't keep him, we wouldn't get updates. :D

Nah, it's just that I believe yours is the right home for him. As you and others have said, sometimes God places things in our laps that we didn't expect. We don't always get to choose who we fall in love with.

I think if Romi was re-homed, there would be so many broken hearts it would be impossible to count them, and even harder to heal them. My opinion only.

I think if you DID decide to "rehome" him, I would find someone that you know, someone close to you, and slowly introduce him to his new home and see how he responds. It would have to be someone as compassionate, patient, and caring as you, though- and that can be a challenge to find these days *hugs*

Best-
Herding Cats

Respectfully snipped for space.

You ARE that special and it IS your treatment that has helped him. I do not see an ego involved. Only your heart that wants the best for this little guy. Thank you for asking for our input.

I think attachment is a lot like tape. It's really sticky the first time you use it, but the next time, not quite so much, and the time after that, it is much harder to get it to stick.

I think dear Romi is stuck to you. He may stick to the next kind person who might adopt him, but I don't think the bond would be as tight.

If you are in a position to give him his forever home, I believe he is exactly where he belongs.

Just know, everybody, that I am in a position to be able to provide for this guy's needs...or I wouldn't have taken him in the first place. And while the foster agency has offered reimbursement/food/wee-wee pads, et cetera, I have asked that the funds they put aside for each dog, Romi's share go to someone else or for another rescue.

I would not have brought him in if I wasn't able to care for him (and no, I don't think anyone here thinks I would. LOL...). Just clarifying and removing one concern that may be present for some.

Me and Romi have been having discussions about it, and so have me and Gracie. LOL. And me and my heart are talking, too.

I think one of the things which is keeping me from saying "yes, he's home permanently" is that what if there's another rescue who needs the same sort of TLC? Would I be able to have the room and be able to help, if the call came? I am not sure. Again, the ego speaks, LOL.

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming. I very much appreciate the outside perspective; I am (as always) too close to the situation to be as fair and impartial as I'd like to be, you know?

BTW, Romi is doing well, even with his adventures. No potty accidents, and he spent some time on the sofa with me while I was playing Zelda last night. He just stretched out, put his head on my robe, and let me rub his belly...and when I stopped, he'd lift his head and wave a paw at me like "oh, man, please don't stop. I think I like belly rubbing and ribscratching!" LOL.

And while this was on the sofa, Gracie was laying at my feet, on her back, and I was rubbing her belly with my feet. She LOVES that...and it keeps my feet warm. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

Well I think if another rescue came calling, and you weren't in a position to do it, that would be okay. One dog at a time. :) But if you were able, that would be great too. Is it that you're worried someone else might need you and you wouldn't have room/time, etc. with Romi there? Or are you worried that if you gave him up and took on someone else, it would be too difficult to part with him?

I think you're doing such a tremendous job with him and I hate to think of a doggie losing his mama. :) But obviously you have to do what's right for you and your other critters. No matter what, I think we all have the utmost respect for you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back