Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 12/09-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Wilmott is going to ask the expert if he found *advertiser censored* on Travis orignl harddrive.
From my unerstanding he wasn't asked to do that yet but knowing Wilmott she'll ignore that little fact.

AZL,

In you're professional opinion (let's assume JSS does the right thing and denies these ridiculous motions), if the jury can't reach a verdict and it goes to the judge.... Do these kinds of things sway their opinions of the defense/defendant? I mean, when the judge sentences Her, can she say "your experts purposely tampered with stuff to try to alter the course of the trial" etc

Well, it seems like it's only an issue with BN's copies. But the expert is saying they aren't proper because there are things there that shouldn't be. And possibly making alterations to his copy so it looks like it was on any clones he made. But there's no way to check because he won't give it over. And they damaged the hard drive while getting their copies made so now the expert can't even view it against the original copy made in 2008. That's why it's relevant. He doesn't have much to work with and he's explaining why.

Oh ok, I thought the image was the compressed files and the copy was the clone.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029832/backing-up-your-entire-drive-cloning-vs-imaging.html

So what did BN give Juan? Because it sounds like something the expert cannot accurately work with?

Correct. They are both exact copies, but the image is compressed and protected. The image is what you use for forensic purposes because you know it hasn't been changed and won't change by you looking at it.

BN gave Juan clones, so Juan's expert can't look at them without changing them.

This sounds criminal to me....what am I missing? (LOL, computer savvy, cady) Glad I'm not a juror. JMO

I'm going to make a guess that BN doesn't know the difference between a mirror image and a clone, and because he was using a clone with live files, he feared the viruses were active and used the Incinerator to remove the viruses then deleted the Incinerator program thinking, like JA herself, if ya delete it, it's like it never existed at all. JSS better take this in hand and throw out any of his work, it's certainly not done according to protocol and it's not trustworthy in the least.

Lots and lots of Tweets

08:43AM@TrialDiariesJFlores states he was the one that woke up the computer when they first saw it #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
08:45AM@michaelbkieferFlores says that it is within evidence protocol to "wake" a computer and says he did so with Travis Alexander's at the crime scene. Twitter
08:48AM@TrialDiariesJFlores says he didn't do anything else with the computer. Forensic's showed up an hour after he woke computer up #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
08:49AM@michaelbkieferDet. Flores says that Alexander murder was the first case he handled where he brought defense to look at electronic evidence. #JodiArias Twitter
08:50AM@TrialDiariesJWillmott says well they looked at journals also but Flores says 95% was electronic devices that they looked at #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
08:50AM@TrialDiariesJWillmott is putting up the chain of custody sheet for TA's computer #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
08:54AM@michaelbkieferWillmott walks Flores through a log of the police personnel who checked the computer out of the evidence locker. #JodiArias Twitter
08:54AM@TrialDiariesJCouple minor errors on this sheet but WHO checked the computer out is correct #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
08:58AM@TrialDiariesJWillmott asked if Juan was there the whole time and Flores stated yes #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
08:59AM@monicalindstromDet. Flores: no indication that the defense team did anything improper with the evidence #jodiArias Twitter
09:02AM@TrialDiariesJAs defense requests an item Flores gives it to them. Flores says he didn't plug in computer or turn it on #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:03AM@TrialDiariesJFlores says he can't remember which defense member turned it on. #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:03AM@WildAboutTrialFlores was ok with the fact it was turned on though because they already had an image of the hard drive. #JodiArias Twitter
09:03AM@TrialDiariesJFlores had concern it was on but an image was made of computer hard drive so it felt safe #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:03AM@michaelbkiefer"I had a little bit of a concern," Flores says of turning on the computer, but, "I felt safe because we already had a copy." #JodiArias Twitter
09:14AM@WildAboutTrialWillmott and Flores are discussing Verizon phones and the fact that they were one of the first that didn't need a sim card. #JodiArias Twitter
09:16AM@TrialDiariesJIt wasn't noted there wasn't a SIMS card on the phones #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:21AM@TrialDiariesJWhen the video camera was collected it wasn't broke. Melendez says he had to force the door on the camera open to get to tape. #jodiarias Twitter
09:22AM@TrialDiariesJWillmott- But you never contacted defense to see if they wanted to view it? Flores NO #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:22AM@monicalindstromJM to Flores: is it your job to tell the defense attorneys how to review the evidence? A: No. #JodiArias Twitter
09:23AM@courtpioState v Jodi Arias: Ten minute recess. Twitter
09:23AM@michaelbkieferWillmott is done. Fore redirect, Martinez just asks Flores if it's his job to tell defense what to look at. No. Recess. Twitter
09:23AM@TrialDiariesJJuan get's up and says "Is it your job to tell defense how to view evidence? Flores - NO 10 min recess #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:34AM@WildAboutTrialState calls Perry Smith. He works for MESA PD as a computer forensics detective. Been doing it for 6 years this march. #JodiArias Twitter
09:34AM@TrialDiariesJJuan calls Perry Smith he works in computer forensics for Mesa PD #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:35AM@TrialDiariesJPerry says he's been working on computers since he was a teen #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:35AM@WildAboutTrialSmith goes over his background now. He's never had a store bought computer, he has always made his own. #JodiArias Twitter
09:37AM@TrialDiariesJPerry joined Mesa PD in 2009 #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:38AM@TrialDiariesJPerry says he had 9 months of training and testing and then an exam to see if he retained the knowledge #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:40AM@michaelbkieferSmith looked at the drive. He is referring to the wrong drive that was accidentally sent to Mesa by defense expert Neumeister. Twitter
09:40AM@TrialDiariesJPerry- The drive had nothing to do with the case. The name on the data was for a Tony #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:40AM@michaelbkieferThen Smith says he found "live files" that could be changed. Twitter
09:40AM@michaelbkieferSidebar. Twitter
09:41AM@monicalindstromState expert explaining what a "live file" is. The second hard drive given to the state had live files on it, not just an image #JodiArias Twitter
09:42AM@michaelbkieferPerry says the defense experts incorrectly conducted their investigation. Hard to follow right now. #JodiArias Twitter
09:42AM@monicalindstromExpert - investigation is supposed to be make an image of the evidence, it freezes the evidence in time, no "live files" #JodiArias Twitter
09:43AM@TrialDiariesJHardrive #2 just had live files. These files could be changed and this was not how a forensic investigation is conducted. #jodiarias Twitter
09:43AM@TrialDiariesJAn image should be made and it should contain a frozen image in time. I was given info that could be altered #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:44AM@monicalindstromExpert: “write blocker” a device that prevents you from making any changes to electronic media. #JodiArias Twitter
09:45AM@michaelbkieferSmith says it's impossible to make a clone with a writeblocker. Twitter
09:45AM@TrialDiariesJPerry was told the drive he was given was a clone. Juan- the person that was working on hard drive #2 did they use a write blocker...-NO Twitter
09:45AM@WildAboutTrialSmith got a 3rd HD which has the same live files that were from the 2nd HD. #JodiArias Twitter
09:46AM@SKrafftFox10A write blocker prevents you from making changes to any electronic media, says Perry Smith of Mesa PD. Can't use one 2 make clone #jodiarias Twitter
09:46AM@WildAboutTrialA writeblocker was not used on the 3rd HD. The 4th HD also had live files and a writeblocker was not used. #JodiArias Twitter
09:47AM@WildAboutTrialSmith compared 2 3 and 4. The content of all 3 drives were not exactly the same. #JodiArias Twitter
09:47AM@monicalindstromExpert: hard rives 2,3,4 from defense and they all had diff content on them. #JodiArias Twitter
09:47AM@TrialDiariesJThe 4th hard drive was again contained live file. Hard drive 2, 3, 4 - did they contain the same things? #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:48AM@michaelbkieferSmith says the content from one clone to the next and the next was different because they weren't writeblocked. Says he needs he original. Twitter
09:48AM@TrialDiariesJPerry- I needed an original of what Bryan Numeister was working with. It would let me know what the changes were he made to it #jodiarias Twitter
09:49AM@michaelbkieferAnd we arrive at the image that Martinez demanded last week. Smith has "no idea" of the original that Bryan Neumeister examined. Twitter
09:50AM@TrialDiariesJPerry is looking at Lonny Dworkin's work. Perry says it was an image and it was created Dec. 2009 #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:50AM@WildAboutTrialIn order to check Neumiesters work Smith still needs the original that Neumeister had. #JodiArias Twitter
09:51AM@TrialDiariesJYou still need Numeister's original correct? Perry YES #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:53AM@michaelbkieferMartinez asks about unallocated space in the clones. Willmott objects since Smith hasn't fully examined. Twitter
09:54AM@TrialDiariesJThey are discussing unallocated space and my brain can't handle this lol #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
09:55AM@WildAboutTrialThe original image file was 55.9 gb back from 2008. Drive 4 totaled 20.9gb. A difference of 35gb missing. #JodiArias Twitter
09:55AM@monicalindstromExpert: The image file from 2008 is 55.9GB; the info on drive 4 total 20.9 GB (35GB missing) unallocated space is missing #JodiArias Twitter
09:56AM@WildAboutTrial"Something was added" explains Smith when discussing drive 4. #JodiArias Twitter
09:57AM@WildAboutTrialSmith noticed a file that should not have been there. The file was not introduced back during Windows XP days. #JodiArias Twitter
09:57AM@monicalindstromwhile examining #4 he found “incinerator.” This was within the “live files.” The file was not introduced until Windows Vista and Windows 7 Twitter
09:57AM@monicalindstromcont: and it was not introduced in XP which was the file system on TA’s computer #jodiArias Twitter
09:58AM@michaelbkieferIncinerator was not available, right? Martinez asks. Smith goes, "ummmm..." Twitter
09:59AM@WildAboutTrialThe incinerator folder Smith found was in the recycle.bin file. Recycle.bin was not part of the OS until after Windows XP. #JodiArias Twitter
09:59AM@michaelbkieferSmith says the incinerator document he found was in the recycle bin, which he says was not introduced to Windows until after XP. Twitter
09:59AM@TrialDiariesJThe incinerator folder was in the recycle.bin file. That file wasn't introduced until after XP. #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
10:00AM@TrialDiariesJPerry- It just couldn't have been present on original hard drive it didn't exist #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
10:00AM@WildAboutTrialJuan handed Smith a printout of the live files from the clone drive number 4. He is reviewing it. #JodiArias Twitter
10:00AM@WildAboutTrialIt shows the presence of the incinerator file in the recycle.bin file. #JodiArias Twitter
10:01AM@michaelbkieferWillmot says that was on a working drive that Neumeister was using to do analysis. She says it has nothing to do with whether *advertiser censored* was found Twitter
10:02AM@monicalindstromWillmott argues that these drives and working files have nothing to do with the missing files on TA's computer #JodiARias Twitter
10:03AM@michaelbkieferMartinez says "That's why he destroyed them," of files Neumeister said were wiped. Willmott says to look at original. Twitter
10:03AM@monicalindstrom#JenniferWillmott says the original evidence has not been changed #JodiArias so this line of questioning is irrelevant Twitter
10:03AM@michaelbkieferMr. Neumeister worked on these copies, because he's supposed to, Willmott says. Martinez argument irrelevant. Objection overruled. Twitter

So, let me guess...this Judge will give the Defense a few more weeks to hand over the original. So another hearing for that in January. As for this trial and the jurors a couple of days next week followed by the 'Happy Holidays! See you in January!' send-off. :gaah: :shame:

Michael Kiefer ‏@michaelbkiefer · 37s37 seconds ago
Willmott begins her cross examination of Smith, first asking about protocol in dealing with computers at crime scenes.

AZL,

In you're professional opinion (let's assume JSS does the right thing and denies these ridiculous motions), if the jury can't reach a verdict and it goes to the judge.... Do these kinds of things sway their opinions of the defense/defendant? I mean, when the judge sentences Her, can she say "your experts purposely tampered with stuff to try to alter the course of the trial" etc

No, the judge definitely is not permitted to consider anything like that for sentencing purposes.

One good thing about this - without the jury present, the family gets to see JA in her chic stripes and chains. That would do my heart good, I hope it does them some.

Correct. They are both exact copies, but the image is compressed and protected. The image is what you use for forensic purposes because you know it hasn't been changed and won't change by you looking at it.

BN gave Juan clones, so Juan's expert can't look at them without changing them.

I hope Juan goes after BN for manipulating evidence....or intent to deceive....can he do that? Especially since BN called Juan a liar, an expert witness that tries to deceive court should be put out of business....imo

From WAT:

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 11m 11 minutes ago

Literally just ran into Nurms on the way into the bathroom. #JodiArias

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 5m 5 minutes ago

Lunch today will consist of an 8oz glass of water and 4 baked beans. #JodiArias

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 3m 3 minutes ago

#JodiArias is back, the defense also is back. Waiting on the jurrrrdge now.

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 3m 3 minutes ago

We are back. Willmott is up getting some staplin' done by the staple lady. Smith back on the standular region. #JodiArias

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 2m 2 minutes ago

Willmott wants to go over Smiths experience and "protocol" when dealing with computers. #JodiArias

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 36s36 seconds ago
Willmott want's to talk protocol and dealing with the computer
Perry- Yes I understand protocol. #jodiarias #3tvarias

Why didn't the expert look at Dworkin's and the state's original copies so he could talk about the *advertiser censored* more? Is Juan just focused on the misconduct accusation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatcrimewriterchick