Rhornsby Legal Q&A #3 Relevant to the Anthony Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you a DP certified attorney in the state of FL? What (besides personality and he is retained in this case) is the difference between you and JB?

• I am not Death Penalty Certified; nor is Baez.
  • I am Board Certified in Criminal Trial Law by the Florida Bar; Baez is not.
  • I am a Board Certified as a Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial advocacy; Baez is not.
  • In addition to my JD, I have Masters in Criminal Justice; Baez does not.
  • I have listed the results of every jury trial I have ever conducted; Baez not so much.
  • I am 6'2; Baez is not.
  • I know the law; Baez does not.

I asked this earlier but think it may have been overlooked.

Do you think there is any liklihood that George and or Cindy, will be charged with anything?

• I am a Board Certified in Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial advocacy; Baez is not.
  • I have listed the results of every jury trial I have ever conducted; Baez not so much.
  • I am 6'2; Baez is not.
    [*]I know the law; Baez does not.

Good morning. I laughed when I read the list because the last sentence has been very obvious to us here all along. We don't need a law degree to see the State , time and again, pointing out that the defense motions, "are a farce, don't even come close to meeting the requirements, are legally flawed, are a mess, misstate the facts and misstate the law", etc. etc. Hearing after hearing we see that the defense wastes the court's time, is ill prepared and making a mockery of the entire proceeding. Then we see the defense do things outside of court that are a nightmare for their client. We here have had threads based on the missteps and trying to discern what in the world the legal strategy is behind the chaos. We so appreciate you and our other lawyers that are members, like Themis, actually lighting the way and breaking down the actual Florida laws.Secretly we cringe; because, now with your public postings you are rather kibitzing, schooling the defense and it seems a shame they should benefit from your counsel rather than the state.

I do have a question for you about the payment of the defense. Baez's daughter posted publicly that she was responsible for the media relations in this case. One of our members Muzicman posted this from some time ago:"I had this saved, good thing because the link no longer works:

"Life is always brighter with a smile," said Miami, Fla. native Christina Baez. While Christina, like most Miami natives, loves the beach, her home and heart is in the Swamp. Christina, this year's PRSSA Tresurer, dreamt of being a Gator and a Gator cheerleader since she was 7 years old, when she lived with her mother in on-campus housing, just a few steps away from Christina's freshman year dorm.

Now a senior, Christina has been a member of the Florida Competitive Cheerleading Orange team for three seasons. She also has a background in media relations and crisis management matched by few other public relations students. During the summer of 2008, Christina was hired by her father, Jose Baez, to handle all media relations in the Casey Anthony case and the search for her missing daughter, Caylee Anthony. During this period, Christina handled all national and local media appearances for her father in print, network and cable television, and radio. Christina has worked closely with major print publications such as People magazine and the Orlando Sentinel. She also worked daily with major network shows such as Good Morning America, NBC's Today show, Fox American News Live and ABC's 20/20. She has worked with programs on CNN, including Larry King Live and Nancy Grace.

Christina's ultimate dream is to travel the world. In the past few years, Christina has visited several popular destinations such as Southern Europe, Morocco, New York City, Las Vegas and the Bahamas. She has combined her passion for traveling and Public Relations, and is currently interning with Contiki Holidays in their Field Marketing Internship program on-campus. Christina will graduate in May 2009 as a Public Relations major with minors in Spanish and Leadership."

http://grove.ufl.edu/~prssa/board.html

If the judge should learn that she sold the photos and videos, while working for daddy, will it be looked upon that he perjured himself telling the judge "I" have not sold them? He sure wants to claim agency relationships and extend his I to we when it suits him ( privilege he argued extended to LP, et al). That brings me back to the difference between you and he. That confidentiality agreement between himself and Leonard and company contradicted itself paragraph by paragraph Mrs. Drane- Burdick pointed out. It literally said that they DID NOT IN ANY WAY work for him. That ws one of my favorites. I said a long time ago, that if the matter weren't so serious, one would think we were watching a SNL skit of a silly new lawyer trying to show off for his girl in a modern day Dagwood Bumstead style. I trust when you are in court, you honest to goodness show up to work.

[/B]

Good morning. I laughed when I read the list because the last sentence has been very obvious to us here all along. We don't need a law degree to see the State , time and again, pointing out that the defense motions, "are a farce, don't even come close to meeting the requirements, are legally flawed, are a mess, misstate the facts and misstate the law", etc. etc. Hearing after hearing we see that the defense wastes the court's time, is ill prepared and making a mockery of the entire proceeding. Then we see the defense do things outside of court that are a nightmare for their client. We here have had threads based on the missteps and trying to discern what in the world the legal strategy is behind the chaos. We so appreciate you and our other lawyers that are members, like Themis, actually lighting the way and breaking down the actual Florida laws.Secretly we cringe; because, now with your public postings you are rather kibitzing, schooling the defense and it seems a shame they should benefit from your counsel rather than the state.

I do have a question for you about the payment of the defense. Baez's daughter posted publicly that she was responsible for the media relations in this case. One of our members Muzicman posted this from some time ago:"I had this saved, good thing because the link no longer works:

"Life is always brighter with a smile," said Miami, Fla. native Christina Baez. While Christina, like most Miami natives, loves the beach, her home and heart is in the Swamp. Christina, this year's PRSSA Tresurer, dreamt of being a Gator and a Gator cheerleader since she was 7 years old, when she lived with her mother in on-campus housing, just a few steps away from Christina's freshman year dorm.

Now a senior, Christina has been a member of the Florida Competitive Cheerleading Orange team for three seasons. She also has a background in media relations and crisis management matched by few other public relations students. During the summer of 2008, Christina was hired by her father, Jose Baez, to handle all media relations in the Casey Anthony case and the search for her missing daughter, Caylee Anthony. During this period, Christina handled all national and local media appearances for her father in print, network and cable television, and radio. Christina has worked closely with major print publications such as People magazine and the Orlando Sentinel. She also worked daily with major network shows such as Good Morning America, NBC's Today show, Fox American News Live and ABC's 20/20. She has worked with programs on CNN, including Larry King Live and Nancy Grace.

Christina's ultimate dream is to travel the world. In the past few years, Christina has visited several popular destinations such as Southern Europe, Morocco, New York City, Las Vegas and the Bahamas. She has combined her passion for traveling and Public Relations, and is currently interning with Contiki Holidays in their Field Marketing Internship program on-campus. Christina will graduate in May 2009 as a Public Relations major with minors in Spanish and Leadership."

http://grove.ufl.edu/~prssa/board.html

If the judge should learn that she sold the photos and videos, while working for daddy, will it be looked upon that he perjured himself telling the judge "I" have not sold them? He sure wants to claim agency relationships and extend his I to we when it suits him ( privilege he argued extended to LP, et al). That brings me back to the difference between you and he. That confidentiality agreement between himself and Leonard and company contradicted itself paragraph by paragraph Mrs. Drane- Burdick pointed out. It literally said that they DID NOT IN ANY WAY work for him. That ws one of my favorites. I said a long time ago, that if the matter weren't so serious, one would think we were watching a SNL skit of a silly new lawyer trying to show off for his girl in a modern day Dagwood Bumstead style. I trust when you are in court, you honest to goodness show up to work.
I am not going to go there too much, because it sounds like a girl whose dad asked her to help out and she "spruced up" her actual responsibilities a little.

I did the same thing out of college AND law school, so I do not have any problem with the way she described it; because technically, it is true.

Think about it, her dad was suddenly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of calls. He asked her to help him field calls and coordinate - who could blame him AT THE TIME. She was on summer break and was probably happy to see her dad on tv - SHE IS NOT A LAWYER - so she would have no reason to know - UNLESS A LAWYER ADVISED HER OTHERWISE - that it would be in her client's best interests to go low key in a case like this.

Hammer on Baez all you want, but cut his daughter a break. I would love to see any of your resumes out of college and/or post-graduate programs.

I am not going to go there too much, because it sounds like a girl whose dad asked her to help out and she "spruced up" her actual responsibilities a little.

I did the same thing out of college AND law school, so I do not have any problem with the way she described it; because technically, it is true.

Think about it, her dad was suddenly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of calls. He asked her to help him field calls and coordinate - who could blame him AT THE TIME. She was on summer break and was probably happy to see her dad on tv - SHE IS NOT A LAWYER - so she would have no reason to know - UNLESS A LAWYER ADVISED HER OTHERWISE - that it would be in her client's best interests to go low key in a case like this.

Hammer on Baez all you want, but cut his daughter a break. I would love to see any of your resumes out of college and/or post-graduate programs.

Oh, no, no I don't mean that she did anything wrong, God bless every kid fresh out of school. I wish only ALL GOOD THINGS FOR HER!! I am asking if HE lied to the court. Of course I don't blame her. I want to know if he can ethically disclaim it, if it was done at his instruction, and then turned around and told the judge no, I did not sell them. For example if one of his employees inked the deal, would he be responsible to tell the judge , rather than split hairs, Bil Clinton style and say "I" didn't do it?

When you need a laugh here is the title of our thread:
What's your favorite? "Our experts are beyond the age of technology": Jose Baez

Mr. Hornsby,

How much longer do you think the defense can wait before giving out an updated witness list?

Ok, are we speed dating now? Lol, Happy Holidays.

May I ask why you have chosen not to be DP certified?

Well I would love to be, unfortunately being death penalty certified requires you actually try - to a jury - first two murder cases (which qualifies you for second chair certification) AND then two death penalty cases as second chair (which qualifies you for first chair certification).

And nowadays, the only people who can get those type of cases are public defenders or former prosecutors who prosecuted such cases (oddly the certification only requires you to have handled such cases, not defended them).

And to help you understand how hard it is to get certified, most death penalty cases plea at the last minute to life in prison. Thus the person gets no credit for the case towards certification - no matter how much work they did preparing the case.

Respectfully, I think you're missing the point. We are not all about hammering on everyone.

I posted this on another thread regarding the video taped client atty meetings, I thought it would be better asked here.

Question....

Could KC use these taped attorney client meetings as a basis for an appeal?

IOW, lets say she is convicted, she will get an appeal. I would think any defense atty could make a claim that she did not have proper representation (JB) and not be thought any less of.

Could these tapes be used, even without the audio? JB has been warned about inappropriate touching etc.....

Has this ever been done? If so, would the tapes then become public record?

• I am a Board Certified as a Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial advocacy; Baez is not.
    [*]I am 6'2; Baez is not.
    [*]I know the law; Baez does not.

Thanks for the good laugh. Geraldo is only 5'9" and he towers over Jose. Could it be the Napoleon syndrome at work?

I posted this on another thread regarding the video taped client atty meetings, I thought it would be better asked here.

Question....

Could KC use these taped attorney client meetings as a basis for an appeal?

IOW, lets say she is convicted, she will get an appeal. I would think any defense atty could make a claim that she did not have proper representation (JB) and not be thought any less of.

Could these tapes be used, even without the audio? JB has been warned about inappropriate touching etc.....

Has this ever been done? If so, would the tapes then become public record?

I am hoping RH is just having a bad night and reconsiders his statement on his blog the evening.....so I will personally appeal to him.

Mr. Hornsby, take a deep breath, enjoy the holiday, and hope to see you back here again totally refreshed!!

This will be the final comment on my blog from anyone but me and from me anywhere but here.

http://blog.richardhornsby.com/2009...-please-stand-up/comment-page-3/#comment-2094

You can reserve your opening statement for right before your case in chief, but it would be ludicrous to do that in a murder case and not leave the jury with some understanding of why your client is not guilty knowing the state will be putting on days of damaging testimony. I have only done it twice in about 80 trials, and each time was because I had not figured out a defense yet (I won both :dance:).

Ah, RH - somehow I seriously doubt JB has your skill, knowledge base or ability to understand the rudimentary elements of chess and use them to his benefit in a court of law. There may be some martian strategy involved in his courtroom performances but quite frankly, I always find them embarrassing to watch and frustrating to listen to. As always, jmho. BTW - your thread on WS is now the second one I check - once past the day's news. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and opinions - and for your humor......:smoochiesmilie::smoochiesmilie:

Happiest of Holidays to you, your new bride - and my WS family!

At Mr. Hornby's website within the "About Me" area there is information about his attorney father and attorney brothers. Interesting reading.

This thread is for Q&A.
I removed a discussion between posters from here this morning, so if your post is gone that is where it is.
This thread is for reference and to ask rhornsby questions for him to answer..
People that are trying to find the Q&A are getting frustrated having to wade through discussions between posters and answers ffrom posters.
So, please remember this is a Q&A thread.
Thanks.

Mr. Hornsby: This forum would be diminished if you choose not to answers questions any more. Your posts are always informative, very often laugh out loud funny, and have given me great insights into the world of a criminal defense attorney.

I hope you will continue to read/post here, when you have the time. I don't know what the circumstances are that led people to think you might not be posting here any more, but if you have made a decision like that, I hope you will reconsider. I don't always agree with you, but I always look forward to reading what you have to say.

This thread is for Q&A.
I removed a discussion between posters from here this morning, so if your post is gone that is where it is.
This thread is for reference and to ask rhornsby questions for him to answer..
People that are trying to find the Q&A are getting frustrated having to wade through discussions between posters and answers ffrom posters.
So, please remember this is a Q&A thread.
Thanks.
JB...is he coming back? I get the impression he's sticking with his own blog from here on out.

Why do you think the defense (meaning mostly Baez) has been so quiet lately? I have my own thoughts on this...but this is a question and answer thread.

Happy Holidays, by the way.

JB...is he coming back? I get the impression he's sticking with his own blog from here on out.

We can only hope. I think he is appreciated here and treated well, so perhaps he will come back and join us.

We can only hope. I think he is appreciated here and treated well, so perhaps he will come back and join us.
While I've got you here...a very Merry Christmas to you and yours, JBean. I hope you have a wonderful and peaceful holiday!

PS- and that goes for everyone else, too!!

okay let's just get back to listing questions for him in the event he should come back.

questions only please :)
Thanks and have a blessed holiday everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongwuzhiye59