Rodney King Arrested for Threats

RIP Rodney. I hope you finally found some peace.

I came here to post it but you guys are quick....

I felt really sad to read this, because he has already had so many hardships.
SO sad he finally found love in his life and he's gone :(

I do not understand how there were people in the house who did not notice anything till it was to late :(

I felt that way when I heard of Whitney Huston's Death too.

RIP Rodney King.

Sad. I had read he was a good swimmer, and now curious if he may have hit his head when he fell into the pool.

Rest in Peace, Rodney King

:rose:

I wonder if his death was drug related. I know he had a serious drug problem.

He always struck me as a kindhearted, rather introspective person. Someone with so much potential. After such a tumultuous moment in history and having endured so much physical and psychological pain after the fall out of the riots, I wish he could have known and lived an extended period of peace and security. He was victimized twice, first by the LAPD, and second, by the looting, rioting hoards for which he became an unwitting symbol following the acquittals.

He always struck me as a kindhearted, rather introspective person. Someone with so much potential. After such a tumultuous moment in history and having endured so much physical and psychological pain after the fall out of the riots, I wish he could have known and lived an extended period of peace and security. He was victimized twice, first by the LAPD, and second, by the looting, rioting hoards for which he became an unwitting symbol following the acquittals.

He clearly had drug problems. Drug addiction is serious. I think the beating should of been his rock bottom and get himself sober for good. Sadly, that never happened.

RIP Mr. King.

Aw..very sad to read this news. I think he had a kind heart, too. I just felt that from him while watching him do various interviews. Sure, he had some problems - but he was still a person, a person struggling in this sometimes harsh world. RIP Rodney.

Friends Are Not Buying Fiancee's Death Story

Two close friends of Rodney King think his fiancée isn't telling the truth about what happened leading up to his death ... and they've voiced their*suspicions*to cops, TMZ has learned.*

As TMZ first reported, King's fiancee, Cynthia Kelley, says she was awakened by the sound of King banging on the window of their home*just after 5:00 AM on Sunday ... and then heard him fall in the pool.*

But sources close to King tell TMZ they heard Kelley tell the story several times to friends ... only the story changed a little bit each time and it seemed to them that she was lying about something.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/18/rodney-king-dead-fiancee-story/

Like some of you have already said, I think he was a kind hearted man. I watched Celebrity Rehab when he was on it. He was definitely dealing with some demons but he just seemed so kind and genuine. The last I heard he was sober and hoping to open his own sober house. I really had hoped that would work out for him.

RIP Rodney.

He certainly, from what he has said in interviews, carried a lot of weight on his shoulders for many years. His father was abusive and an alcoholic, Rodney himself began drinking in middle school, and then what was probably PTSD from the horrific beating, and then becoming a symbol, and feeling like he was somehow responsible for the riots....that is a LOT for one person to carry around all those years. :(

He was definitely a thoughtful, gracious man. He mentioned once that he forgave his attackers long ago - because he was given many "second chances", so everyone deserves that same mercy. I don't think I'd have been so forgiving or merciful. For all his problems (some of which he acknowledged were of his own making) he was definitely a good man at heart.

Can't seem to stop reading about this ... He's been on my mind since yesterday afternoon almost constantly. Can't get over this poor man's death in his pool - the stones and cement of which he laid himself. So very sad :cry:

This just makes me so sad. When someone dies who I watched on Celebrity Rehab, it hits a little closer to home as I find I sort of "know" them in a way.

What a waste of a life. I'm guessing he was super drunk and/or high and he fell into the pool and drown. Or maybe he had a heart attack from drugs? Maybe he passed out and fell in? Waiting for the COD on this one, just like Whitney Houston and so many others. :(

"Why can't we all just get along?"

RIP Mr. King.

Thoughtful short piece from The New Yorker's Jelani Cobb:

POSTSCRIPT: RODNEY KING, 1965-2012
The old adage holds that history occurs twice—first as tragedy, then as farce—but if anything is to be learned from the tragic tale of Rodney King, it’s that history’s encores are often just as brutal as its débuts. King, who died Sunday at age forty-seven, was inducted, unwitting and unwilling, into a fraternity of men whose experiences seem like a series of historical paraphrases. There’s John Weerd Smith, the Newark cabdriver whose arrest sparked the 1967 riots in that city; Marquette Frye, whose 1965 D.U.I. arrest in Watts ignited days of chaos and fire. In 1964, fifteen-year-old James Powell was shot and killed by an N.Y.P.D. officer in Harlem— word of his death was just so much kindling to an already tense city, and riots broke out in Manhattan and Brooklyn. During the Second World War, the police shooting of Robert Bandy, a soldier, inaugurated the 1943 Harlem riot. And there are more. That roll call explains why the disbelief that swaths of America felt when viewing the videotape of Rodney King’s beating was scarce in black America, why so many African Americans saw it through eyes jaundiced by similar experience—a civic violation as lived cliché.
---
the rest at link above

I am not totally surprised by this, he has had numerous run-ins with the law even after the beatings. I hope he finally rests in peace.
BBM...I don't understand how his criminal history is related to his death in his own backyard??

Friends Are Not Buying Fiancee's Death Story

Two close friends of Rodney King think his fiancée isn't telling the truth about what happened leading up to his death ... and they've voiced their*suspicions*to cops, TMZ has learned.*

As TMZ first reported, King's fiancee, Cynthia Kelley, says she was awakened by the sound of King banging on the window of their home*just after 5:00 AM on Sunday ... and then heard him fall in the pool.*

But sources close to King tell TMZ they heard Kelley tell the story several times to friends ... only the story changed a little bit each time and it seemed to them that she was lying about something.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/18/rodney-king-dead-fiancee-story/
Her story and actions were a bit questionable...why would he be knocking on the window? She said she asked what was wrong then a few minutes later, heard a splash. So, did she wait for an answer or just go back to bed? Why knock on the window? Was he locked out of his own house? Seems the first thing most people would do is jump in, not throw a shovel.

The articles I've read states the fiancee was a juror in the civil trial. I wonder how the two came in contact after the trial.

He was awarded a significant amount of money. Not nearly enough for the beating he endured, but a nice nest egg to marry into. Hope my suspicions are wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back