Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the interesting bit, I reckon.

They can charge him with all sorts of stuff, the charge of murder well may be just the beginning. As things stand, without the body, ( and don't ask me how , I long to know, it is a puzzle to me, but I do not doubt the conclusion ) VICPOL claim that she was murdered. By Mr. Stephenson. No one else. At Mt.Clear. On Sunday morning.

Once the body is found and other investigations begin, coroner, forensics, etc .. then all manner of charges will /could flow from that.

VICPOL knows he moved the body. Because they know where he murdered her . And her body is not there at that place. Proving it, is another matter. Logic is on VICPOL's side, but it is iffy, as a court position. That particular charge, the interfering one, I expect to be laid after the summary hearing, but before any trial.

If they ever find her phone,, and it is not with her body, then there is a charge of theft. Watch, ditto.

Public information about that would be accessed once the charge is laid. VICPOL would make a statement, one that most likely would not request any questions. .

Can they add more charges later as things arise, and would the public be directly informed?

Crime is public and the police , the courts, the judges, the coroner, the DPP, the Public Prosecutor are all public office holders, paid by the taxpayer, it is not a matter of being or not being directly informed , not informing is not in the charter, it is a matter of informing, at the earliest opportunity.
I keep thinking that the police must have viewed some digital evidence of the actual murder, but could it be that they found evidence at the scene, like connective tissue for example. Add that to who’s in the same area at the same time, and perhaps a number plate leaving the site or something, and enough to press charges?
No crime scene could be completely devoid of physical evidence could it?
Also wonder how much the searching of the car and homes post arrest helped with the charge.

Didn’t SM simply have a dinner party at home with family and friends, during which she mentioned going for a 14k run the next day?

If it was targeted, and SM was the intended victim, the window of opportunity and cleanup/ removal time was tight. She was expected home within a relatively short amount of time. If PS knew that and still went for it, he was brazen. Makes me think it was more opportunistic, but thought out in advance.

Re the friends and colleagues not speaking, I doubt that’s not due to the media not trying. It feels like his family at least have gone to ground.
Just noting for what it’s worth, there was a comment earlier that PS’s mother resembled SM. The gf’s mother does too.
IIRC a reporter at a press conference asked the police spokesperson if they could comment (paraphrasing) about the incident which had occurred at a hospitality venue between the Murphys and another party the evening prior to Samantha's disappearance. The spokesperson said they couldn't comment. (I've tried to find the post unsuccessfully so far. (Have some posts been deleted?)

In a later post, someone noted that the "incident" occurred at the Golf Club.

Police have stated that there was no connection between the alleged perpetrator and the Murphy family.
IMO I think it is very likely however, that Samantha's daughter Jess and PS knew each other/moved in the same circles. They were both educated at private colleges (which often "pair up" when there are significant college social events). Both are the same age also.

Regarding PS' mum, and gf''s mum, IMO they are likely to have known Samantha also, given that their kids are a similar age to each other. That's just how it is in regional cities (speaking from experience.) Their paths IMO would have crossed often, and they may be friends.

JMO

There are a few things concerning this case which surprised me:

1. At the beginning
(first week?)
Police stated Samantha's disappearance was not suspicious
(But maybe in case of adults Police take voluntary disappearance into consideration?)

2. Police stated??? that there was no danger to the public.
But nobody was arrested then.

3. Suppression of the accused's name.
It took media rage to lift it.
(Oh well, it was reported the accused asked his lawyer not to uphold it)

4. The lawyer stated that the accused had no drug problem and no mental health problems as well.
But the reason of name's suppression was reported at first as MH issues.

5. Disappearance of the accused's family.
(No family members appeared in Court when the accused was there.
In fact, nobody close to the accused appeared in Court)

6. No extensive searches of the whole area of this forest/bush.

7. The death of Samantha's dog :(
(Very strange IMO)

8. The Police stated firmly that it was "deliberate murder", not hit and run.
But asked the public about a damaged car.
(But maybe a hit, causing death and concealment of the victim's body counts as "deliberate murder"?)

All these factors made me somehow surprised :oops:

But, I guess, all these will be made clear (for me) during the trial.

JMO

Last edited:
IIRC a reporter at a press conference asked the police spokesperson if they could comment (paraphrasing) about the incident which had occurred at a hospitality venue between the Murphys and another party the evening prior to Samantha's disappearance. The spokesperson said they couldn't comment. (I've tried to find the post unsuccessfully so far. (Have some posts been deleted?)

In a later post, someone noted that the "incident" occurred at the Golf Club.

Police have stated that there was no connection between the alleged perpetrator and the Murphy family.
IMO I think it is very likely however, that Samantha's daughter Jess and PS knew each other/moved in the same circles. They were both educated at private colleges (which often "pair up" when there are significant college social events). Both are the same age also.

Regarding PS' mum, and gf''s mum, IMO they are likely to have known Samantha also, given that their kids are a similar age to each other. That's just how it is in regional cities (speaking from experience.) Their paths IMO would have crossed often, and they may be friends.

JMO
Here is the reference and press conference where the reporter asked about an incident at a Ballarat Hopsitality venue

Post # 360 by @Detective Willy
There was 1 question asked at the first press conference that I still find interesting - this one that was asked at the 5m 50 sec mark.

The reporter asks if this could be related to "an incident at a Ballarat Hospitality Venue". (I read this as a Pub or club).

As we have seen in the past, the press often have more inside info than the general public. Does anyone know what this incident was at the Ballarat Hospital Venue?

IMO it is either a dumb question or one that has been intentionally left alone and not spoken about for operational reasons?

Is there any legal scenario where he does not go to trial. eg? Pleads guilty? If yes would it still be revealed to the public what actually happened /evidence etc.
The only legal scenario that comes to mind about him not going to trial is if someone in Remand does him in. Then, it would be difficult to hold a trial.

He could suddenly, and without warning, go completely off his rocker, and be clinically diagnosed as permanently insane, and there would still be a trial, except he would be relieved of being expected to instruct his solicitor and a panel of Barristers would be selected to represent his interests at that trial. He would be presented at the trial, probably via ZOOM in that case, but if he can stand, and be quiet, he goes to the court.

He must be present. In whatever capacity is seen applicable.

If he pleads guilty, at trial even the morning of the trial, the matter smoothly pivots to the sentencing component of the consequence. The judge, in his infinite wisdom, lays out, in exquisite detail the mechanics of the crime, the subsequent investigation and it's findings, any input or statement by the accused, the case the defence put up, in a precis, ,the case the prosecutor put up, precis, and then explains, in gold plated detail how he arrived at the sentence he is going to impose. And then he announces the sentence.

This part.. the Summing Up of the case, and the sentencing, videoed, it will be on the Supreme Court,Victoria Website , but for a very short time, 1/2 day tops. You have to be on your toes, and catch it then because it disappears into the archives. But , if it's like other Supreme Court cases, it is certainly worth the view, if only to get a nice big dose of English as she should be spoke.

The only legal scenario that comes to mind about him not going to trial is if someone in Remand does him in. Then, it would be difficult to hold a trial.

He could suddenly, and without warning, go completely off his rocker, and be clinically diagnosed as permanently insane, and there would still be a trial, except he would be relieved of being expected to instruct his solicitor and a panel of Barristers would be selected to represent his interests at that trial. He would be presented at the trial, probably via ZOOM in that case, but if he can stand, and be quiet, he goes to the court.

He must be present. In whatever capacity is seen applicable.

If he pleads guilty, at trial even the morning of the trial, the matter smoothly pivots to the sentencing component of the consequence. The judge, in his infinite wisdom, lays out, in exquisite detail the mechanics of the crime, the subsequent investigation and it's findings, any input or statement by the accused, the case the defence put up, in a precis, ,the case the prosecutor put up, precis, and then explains, in gold plated detail how he arrived at the sentence he is going to impose. And then he announces the sentence.

This part.. the Summing Up of the case, and the sentencing, videoed, it will be on the Supreme Court,Victoria Website , but for a very short time, 1/2 day tops. You have to be on your toes, and catch it then because it disappears into the archives. But , if it's like other Supreme Court cases, it is certainly worth the view, if only to get a nice big dose of English as she should be spoke.

Re the last paragraph about the vanishing Summing Up

I bet DM will report it word by word ;)

I'm sure the Media will be "on their toes".

JMO

Re the last paragraph about the vanishing Summing Up

I bet DM will report it word by word ;)

I'm sure the Media will be "on their toes".

JMO
of course, and the transcript of it will be on the website, the Supreme Court website forever, but for those I am addressing, who wish to see the judge and hear the judge's summing up, you have to be quick and catch it the moment it goes up on the website.. why this is so , is a matter I have no idea about at all, it just is.

Re the Murphy family dog, the Hungarian Visula, named Ruby.. it's pretty much agreed that a careless member of the press unfortunately collided with the dog. It isn't a mystery, at this point.

" 'She loved that dog like family,' the source said.

'We reckon Ruby is
probably out there searching for her'."

:oops:

"Speaking on Sunrise on Wednesday, Jake Cassar, said the search should be focused on

tracking the whereabouts of the dog,
as it could be following Samantha’s scent."

Last edited:
He’s been charged with murder.
If they had evidence of other offences such as rape or interfering with the body/corpse etc, would they have added them at the time the murder charge was made?
Can they add more charges later as things arise, and would the public be directly informed?
Yes. More charges can be added. Usually tampering with a corpse. So someone accused can go to trial with several charges and a jury has to decide on each charge.

There are a few things concerning this case which surprised me:

1. At the beginning
(first week?)
Police stated Samantha's disappearance was not suspicious
(But maybe in case of adults Police take voluntary disappearance into consideration?)

2. Police stated??? that there was no danger to the public.
But nobody was arrested then.

3. Suppression of the accused's name.
It took media rage to lift it.
(Oh well, it was reported the accused asked his lawyer not to uphold it)

4. The lawyer stated that the accused had no drug problem and no mental health problems as well.
But the reason of name's suppression was reported at first as MH issues.

5. Disappearance of the accused's family.
(No family members appeared in Court when the accused was there.
In fact, nobody close to the accused appeared in Court)

6. No extensive searches of the whole area of this forest/bush.

7. The death of Samantha's dog :(
(Very strange IMO)

8. The Police stated firmly that it was "deliberate murder", not hit and run.
But asked the public about a damaged car.
(But maybe a hit, causing death and concealment of the victim's body counts as "deliberate murder"?)

All these factors made me somehow surprised :oops:

But, I guess, all these will be made clear (for me) during the trial.

JMO
Yes Dotta, there are quite a few contradictory "facts", aren't there? Which we are all keen to have explanations for.

" 'She loved that dog like family,' the source said.

'We reckon Ruby is
probably out there searching for her'."

:oops:

"Speaking on Sunrise on Wednesday, Jake Cassar, said the search should be focused on

tracking the whereabouts of the dog,
as it could be following Samantha’s scent."

The poor dog is no longer missing. Ruby got hit by a car and is dead. Is this an old story???

Re an incident at a hospitality venue the night before - are we sure that there definitely was an incident, or is the press assuming that there may have been one, given that SM and PS were at the same venue (if indeed they were)?

The poor dog is no longer missing. Ruby got hit by a car and is dead. Is this an old story???

My issue with the dog is,
that he could have been used for searching for Samantha.

But, surprise, surprise!
He is dead!

By the way, I have not read anywhere in MSM that it was Press car's hit.

I don't want to argue about it.
But...
I'm really surprised about the circumstances of this matter.

JMO

The car didn’t kill the dog.

The family had it euthanised .
euthanised because it was hit by a car driven by a member of the press, and it's injuries were beyond the vet's skill. it sometimes happens like that. .. . .. Sorry, I didn't make that clear in the beginning, I guess I felt it was understood. .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member