SAR searches for cell phone

Here's the link:

http://www.foxnewsinsider.com/2010/08/09/police-bump-up-search-for-kyron-horman/

But, Spicher told a Grand Jury on Friday that she, another girlfriend and Kyron’s stepmom, Terri Horman, each bought an untraceable cell phone the day the little boy vanished. The cops wouldn’t tell me if they’re looking for those phones in the big renewed search. This case is intense. Where is that child?!

The very same day? When did Terri have the time to do this? Was it one of her "errand stops" that day, after possibly harming Kyron? Because once Kaine and Terri "discovered" Kyron was missing, I can't see her excusing herself from the house later on that afternoon/ evening and running out to buy a disposeable cell....this all sounds very hinky. JMO

So are there 5 pre-paid cell phones?

She insists the three of them – DeDe, Terri and her – only got the phones because the new AT&T service would allow them to make calls out of the Horman home at Shelter Nook Road. The home is in a remote area that does not receive Verizon service, which is what the friends had.

What remains unclear is why two additional prepaid phones were purchased at another store in downtown Portland the next day under the same fake name used at the Lloyd Center. The friend said she knows those phones were paid for in cash but she did not make the purchase.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/100161574.html

I guess I'm not getting the point of using AT & T versus Verizon in this whole cell phone mystery. I'm assuming Terri had been using Verizon previously with no ill effects, thus making the excuse of getting a different provider for that reason a load of BS.

I guess I'm not getting the point of using AT & T versus Verizon in this whole cell phone mystery. I'm assuming Terri had been using Verizon previously with no ill effects, thus making the excuse of getting a different provider for that reason a load of BS.

Except it's been reported that it was the friends who had Verizon and got the ATT phones to have service at Terri's house.

I'm waiting for another source before I believe they bought those phones on June 4th. Also as to whether or not Dede testified Friday. She may have, due to the searches commencing, but odd that no media picked up on it.

Except it's been reported that it was the friends who had Verizon and got the ATT phones to have service at Terri's house.

So then what is the reasoning for them to put the phones under false names?

I dunno why but I was under the impression Terri didn't get the disposeable phones tll after either LE or Kaine took hers.....if only an AT&T phone worked in her home, why didn't she just get an AT&T phone? Those disposeable phones work in her remote area yet Verizon doesn't? Naw, I'm not a beleiver....

I don't believe it says anywhere that TH had been using Verizon. It says the friends each had Verizon service, so they got AT&T to use while they were at TH's home.

yeah sub! And who purchased two more phones the next day using the same fake name??? and why????

Ah, okay. I didn't hear that part. Makes sense, sort of. Except that if Terri already had AT & T then they wouldn't need to buy Terri a phone. Just the two friends would need a phone. Still a BS excuse, IMO.

So are there 5 pre-paid cell phones?

She insists the three of them – DeDe, Terri and her – only got the phones because the new AT&T service would allow them to make calls out of the Horman home at Shelter Nook Road. The home is in a remote area that does not receive Verizon service, which is what the friends had.

What remains unclear is why two additional prepaid phones were purchased at another store in downtown Portland the next day under the same fake name used at the Lloyd Center. The friend said she knows those phones were paid for in cash but she did not make the purchase.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/100161574.html

These people are absolutely nuts. Since this has happened to little KH my eyes have been opened to how evil some are in the world are. I mean I am not totally naive but I think it home bc if I lived in OR, my child would be a lookalike. Down to his smile. I see KH I see my son at his age and it makes me sick. Now I know the world is filled with evil and some really big idiots. How do these women live everyday and go in public?

In my experience, any phone linked to your name is traceable. The only phones that do not link to any name are those less-expensive phones that use pre-paid cards.
So if TH and DS went into an AT&T store to purchase phones, they would have to show a license as proof of identity and address. I've been with AT&T for years and whenever I upgrade my phone, its the same procedure. These phones purchased by TH and DS would be linked to their names and addresses, since bills would need to be sent somewhere. Perhaps they used fake names and IDS?
IF they purchased pre-paid phones, then you don't have to release any info about yourself. You walk in, pick up a cheap phone, buy a card for the minutes, and walk out. When you call in to activate and load the minutes on your phone, you don't give your name, address, or any other info about yourself. Matter of fact, most of those pre-paid cards load through simple automation.
Something about this story makes no sense. If these women bought AT&T phones, cops could trace those...without needing the phones. In addition, most phones these days ping even when they are turned off.

I'm waiting for another source before I believe they bought those phones on June 4th. Also as to whether or not Dede testified Friday. She may have, due to the searches commencing, but odd that no media picked up on it.

me too. BUT it sure fits with the area they are searching. The phone was either disposed of in that location on 6/4, when DDS was working at that house, or one or both of them went back to that location at another time to chuck their phones. Plus, iirc, the questions being asked in connection with this search relate to whether the neighbors saw a white truck on the 4th. If they are looking for a cell, it makes sense to me that it was purchased prior to the 4th. Maybe other phones were purchased later, too. Or maybe just the other friends purchased theirs later? speculating...

Interesting thing is she says she just hung up with the MCSO. That makes it sound pretty reliable, UNLESS she HEARD it wrong. I would think this info would be all over the news by now if it were true.

the only things the cops said to the reporter was

1) they confirmed a “tip” led them to bump up the search
2) ...wanted to see if they would comment about reports that the “tip” came from family friend, DeDe Spicher. They wouldn’t tell me if that’s true.
3) The cops wouldn’t tell me if they’re looking for those phones in the big renewed search.

the reporter never says that the cops told her.... DD told a Grand Jury on Friday that she, another girlfriend and Kyron’s stepmom, Terri Horman, each bought an untraceable cell phone the day the little boy vanished.

this is her own statement..not attributed to the cops.

Whoa. Did you guys read on today's current news it is said these phones were bought on the DAY Kyron disappeared?

I always thought it was after, when she wanted her privacy. If they were bought on the day he disappeared that is hugely incriminating to me.

I had wondered about this. I originally thought they were bought after, as you did, to maintain privacy once she was already under scrutiny. But buying them in advance (or on the day of) is certainly much more suspicious. Do you have a link for that, btw?

Yes, and no one has any info that DS testified on Friday. So where did the reporter get that info. We're waiting for some sort of verification.

but other sources say the search is for one or more disposable cell phones which Kyron's stepmother and her friend bought under false names.

I am convinced the "other sources" simply refers to the statement by Bruce McCain, which is just his guessing based on his professional perspective on the same info we have. I don't believe any source with direct knowledge has said this. I am actually appalled by the article, because it just seems to spin info from several other stories (from other news outlets) to look like they are providing new information. JMO

ETA: And the part in the article where it says the info was from GJ testimony, I believe means that the SEARCHES are being done based on info obtained in the GJ questioning, without special reference to cell phones or anything else.

My question is why would someone dispose of a phone this way? The phone itself might not be able to reveal any more than what is obtainable through the carrier.

fingerprints, or other dna. hair, sand, dust, pollen.. etc. etc.

Me too...I have a hard time with it being someone's twitter feed...someone else should've hit the scoop button, and not via twitter. But that's just MOO...

Best-
Herding Cats

Spicher is said to have helped Terri Horman buy an untraceable cell phone, and lived with her for a few weeks after Kyron's dissappearance.

"...This is not a search-and-rescue," McCain told the morning show. "This is a forensic search for criminal evidence, more than likely, something very specific that Dede told them about. It could even very well be one of these untraceable cell phones."

This quote came from McCain who seems to be speculating, so I'm not sure the searchers are looking for a cell phone or phones. JMO

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20013069-504083.html

I dunno why but I was under the impression Terri didn't get the disposeable phones tll after either LE or Kaine took hers.....if only an AT&T phone worked in her home, why didn't she just get an AT&T phone? Those disposeable phones work in her remote area yet Verizon doesn't? Naw, I'm not a beleiver....

Me either. If there is a tower in range for an ATT phone to use, the same tower could be used by the Verizon phone - the Verizon phone might just be roaming to use the closest tower. At least this is my understanding...

I could be wrong...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back